Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

23 hours ago, IrepDC said:

I could also be talked into Nakobe Dean at 11. Less size than Lloyd but actually more physical. Same energy and much of the same versatility as a Blitzer. Lloyd has the slight advantage in coverage while Dean has the slight advantage in run support. Both legit MLBs. It felt like offenses quick passing attacks went at our LBs like 90% of the time last year. Our fans are calling our DL busts because Bostic and Holcomb can't locate a curl or crossing route in their zone or man. We need a new starting MLB and hopefully make Holcomb a reserve with a new SLB this draft(Muma?).

Really like the Lloyd, Dean, Muma talk to solidify the D.

Ron is looking for a guy capable of being the Commander out there making the calls.

Did any of these guys do that in college?

Theres going to be a lot of fools gold chasing in this draft.  I think Pickett is the easy prospect, and after that a lot of not very good QBs people are going to take just based off of athelticism.  Honestly, I think Carson Strong is the best pocket passer in the draft, and shows the best pocket presence and decision making.  Of course hes a statue, the big knock against him, so it may take the right team with a good OL drafting him, but the other guy whos a statue in Tom Brady is the best QB in NFL history.  Mobility is nice, but very overrated.  In fact, almost all of the top QBs we think of in modern times havent been mobile, Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers(probably the most mobile), Roethlisberger, Favre, Kurt Warner.

Willis cant read or throw, Pickett has historically small hands, Howell looks very poor and just regressed last season which is almost always a horrid sign, and Ridder didnt improve in his first 3 years and in fact regressed.

• Thumb up 2

18 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Willis cant read or throw, Pickett has historically small hands, Howell looks very poor and just regressed last season which is almost always a horrid sign, and Ridder didnt improve in his first 3 years and in fact regressed.

Willis throws incredibly well.

Howell looks good and didn't regres at all.

Ridder improved every year.

But you're right about the hands.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Really like the Lloyd, Dean, Muma talk to solidify the D.

Ron is looking for a guy capable of being the Commander out there making the calls.

Did any of these guys do that in college?

Dean would probably be the best "Field General" style MLB of this class. He made most of Georgia's defensive calls on their championship defense. 

He also displays the leadership and sets the tone you want from your MLB. A play near the Goal Line in the National Championship comes to mind; Dean was covering a route in the middle of the field. His fellow LB was not focused and got in Dean's way, nearly costing Georgia a TD. Dean immediately got on the other LB after the play to get his head in the game. The next play the LB he just talked to made a sack to force a FG. That's making players around you elevate their game. I couldn't imagine Dean being cool with the constant blown assignments we have. I'd like to see a guy like him stabilize that unit.

I flip back and forth between him and Lloyd as my #1 LB. The rest of the process will make it clearer hopefully.

22 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I may be the only one but I still have Chad Muma over Dean and Lloyd. Senior bowl 9 tackles was just one more check off the boxes. I think the Combine will finally put him in first round discussion. 

I really like Muma as well. I'm not sure if I'd put him #1 but he's legit. He's what we wish Cole Holcomb would turn into.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In a scenario where we go QB at 11, Muma would become my top target for the 2nd round pick. Hopefully he doesn't shoot up the board like Davis last year, but we may still need to trade into the late 1st for him. Some combination of MLB and QB needs to be top priority this offseason as a whole.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IrepDC said:

In a scenario where we go QB at 11, Muma would become my top target for the 2nd round pick. Hopefully he doesn't shoot up the board like Davis last year, but we may still need to trade into the late 1st for him. Some combination of MLB and QB needs to be top priority this offseason as a whole.

Yeah, getting him in the second would be great. I'd also take a WR (if one of the "first rounders" drops a little), a corner (I'd really like McCreary, could immediately start as our slot corner) or a guard to replace Scherff. I guess free safety should also be on the table but I am not sure if someone falls into that range.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Theres going to be a lot of fools gold chasing in this draft.  I think Pickett is the easy prospect, and after that a lot of not very good QBs people are going to take just based off of athelticism.  Honestly, I think Carson Strong is the best pocket passer in the draft, and shows the best pocket presence and decision making.  Of course hes a statue, the big knock against him, so it may take the right team with a good OL drafting him, but the other guy whos a statue in Tom Brady is the best QB in NFL history.  Mobility is nice, but very overrated.  In fact, almost all of the top QBs we think of in modern times havent been mobile, Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers(probably the most mobile), Roethlisberger, Favre, Kurt Warner.

Howell looks poor? According to what? And how did he regress? 

Ridder got better every year.

Are you basing this stuff on stats? If so: don’t do that. There are layers of context.

With Howell, his passing yardage went down as he lost two of his receivers to the NFL and he lost his top two running backs to the NFL. He still managed to help Josh Downs have a 1300 yard receiving season. And he rushed for ~1k to make up for his top two backs absence.

If you wanted to say Howell is not high on your list due to how you perceive his pocket presence, the primary RPO UNC offense, you don’t think he’s ugly enough… I may or may not agree but that’s your opinion and we all have some… and we all have correct ones and left field ones. But to claim he regressed without context is actually wrong in anything but statistics. And even there was if you include the rush yards it’s borderline wrong.

Howell does have weak points, all QBs every single year do. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Dean would probably be the best "Field General" style MLB of this class. He made most of Georgia's defensive calls on their championship defense. 

He also displays the leadership and sets the tone you want from your MLB. A play near the Goal Line in the National Championship comes to mind; Dean was covering a route in the middle of the field. His fellow LB was not focused and got in Dean's way, nearly costing Georgia a TD. Dean immediately got on the other LB after the play to get his head in the game. The next play the LB he just talked to made a sack to force a FG. That's making players around you elevate their game. I couldn't imagine Dean being cool with the constant blown assignments we have. I'd like to see a guy like him stabilize that unit.

I flip back and forth between him and Lloyd as my #1 LB. The rest of the process will make it clearer hopefully.

I really like Muma as well. I'm not sure if I'd put him #1 but he's legit. He's what we wish Cole Holcomb would turn into.

While I beleive the team will solidify either the MLB or QB prior to the draft, it sure is exciting to have these viable LB options.

Hoping many of these prospects participate at least to some degree at the upcoming combine. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-scouting-combine-full-list-of-invited-prospects

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IrepDC said:

I keep undervaluing Dean compared to Lloyd because of size. I probably should stop doing that, with the way the NFL is trending. 

Lloyd, Dean, Muma and the kid from LSU that I'm drawing a blank on his name. We've gotta come out of this draft with a MLB as badly as a QB.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I keep undervaluing Dean compared to Lloyd because of size. I probably should stop doing that, with the way the NFL is trending. 

Lloyd, Dean, Muma and the kid from LSU that I'm drawing a blank on his name. We've gotta come out of this draft with a MLB as badly as a QB.

Spot on. This is a great draft for LBs overall. I haven't mentioned guys like Damone Clark and Christian Harris yet. I even like Zakobe McClain as a package LB. And I'm sure once I deep dive, I'll find some later round guys like Barnes last year- who had a great rookie season for Detroit.

Ryan Wilson, CBS draft guy who was at the Senior Bowl, some of his thoughts

A.  Mac Jones would have been the first QB picked if he were in this draft.  Almost every mock draft guy says this, getting to be a bit cliche for me to hear

B.  Steelers scoping for a mobile QB

C.  He thinks if the Panthers take Pickett at 6 as the rumor is, that's too early for him, reminds him of when the Giants took Daniel Jones that early.   But he agrees Pickett is the most pro ready, followed by Carson Strong as for pro readiness.

D. He talked about the importance of having QBs who can take over games citing the AFC championship game.  

E.  He doesn't want to say that this QB class is a weak class, he's not sure that's true, citing surprise players in the past who exceeded the reputation they had predraft

F.  He loves Matt Corral, that's the guy he prefers but thinks some others are close.

G.  Talked up about how well Pickett interviewed and that matters

H.  1.  Corral.  2.  Pickett.  3.  Willis.   Those are his top 3 in that order.

I. Ridder sees as a third round pick grade wise, accuracy, arm strength issues.  He suggested teams are going to talk themselves into him and he will go higher

J.  Zappe -- 6th round pick, people who he's talked to see him as a backup.  His comp Taylor Heinicke

K.  Talking to some people in the NFL, some care about Pickett's hand size, some don't.  One of the scouts who does care said the college season stops in Mid November -- its not bad weather then to test it.

L.  Didn't say much about Howell to leave me with a take one way or another. 

M. He thinks among Pickett, Corral, Willis -- 2 out of the three might be there at 11. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

Spot on. This is a great draft for LBs overall. I haven't mentioned guys like Damone Clark and Christian Harris yet. I even like Zakobe McClain as a package LB. And I'm sure once I deep dive, I'll find some later round guys like Barnes last year- who had a great rookie season for Detroit.

Clark. Thats who I was thinking about. Forgot about Harris. This is definitely the draft to get your stud MLB for sure. 

At 42 we should see a run of safeties and linebackers, exactly like last year. It's a lock that Lloyd and Dean are gone by then. Maybe Harris and Clark are still there. Muma will definitely be.

It has got to be QB&MLB in this draft. 11 is plenty high enough to get the guys we want.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

KDawgs gonna be unbearable after he watches this.   :ols:

He'll really love this stuff from his coach!

https://www.on3.com/college/north-carolina-tar-heels/news/mack-brown-explains-what-makes-sam-howell-special-north-carolina-tar-heels/

“He’s a gym-rat,” Brown said of Howell. “His parents are athletes, his Dad’s a coach. He’s over here more than I am. 

“I said the other night, if they chose me or Sam to go to the game, I’d send him. He’s more important than I am, and can run this team. He’s smart, he’s tough, he’s the hardest worker on the team – he gets it.”

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

https://www.on3.com/college/north-carolina-tar-heels/news/mack-brown-explains-what-makes-sam-howell-special-north-carolina-tar-heels/

“He’s a gym-rat,” Brown said of Howell. “His parents are athletes, his Dad’s a coach. He’s over here more than I am. 

“I said the other night, if they chose me or Sam to go to the game, I’d send him. He’s more important than I am, and can run this team. He’s smart, he’s tough, he’s the hardest worker on the team – he gets it.”

I'm a lot higher on Howell than most too. Probably the guy I want the most. If he had Ridders size, he'd be the QB1 in this draft I think.

Be kind of funny if we signed Trubisky and drafted him and had 2 Tarheels at QB.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I hope Brown is busting the ear drums of RR and Co. about Howell.  Plus, RR and Co. out to know all they need to know about Howell, IF they were at the UNC Pro Day last year I like him a lot.  Pickett is the guy I like (1A) but I want them (NFL teams) to do the water test with him at his Pro Days like they did with Goff, I think it was to see how he hands the ball with wet gloves/hands.  If that is not an issue it's Pickett (1A) and Howell/Corral (1B).  

29 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I hope Brown is busting the ear drums of RR and Co. about Howell.  Plus, RR and Co. out to know all they need to know about Howell, IF they were at the UNC Pro Day last year I like him a lot.  Pickett is the guy I like (1A) but I want them (NFL teams) to do the water test with him at his Pro Days like they did with Goff, I think it was to see how he hands the ball with wet gloves/hands.  If that is not an issue it's Pickett (1A) and Howell/Corral (1B).  

Keim's podcast pre Senior Bowl was pretty blunt about Howell not being their guy., doesn't though mean it plays out that way, will see   

Should be interesting what Keim says post Senior Bowl.  Based on a tweet he made recently, which he said the Senior Bowl confirmed previous thoughts that doesn't sound good for Howell unless Keim was referencing his own thoughts and not the teams on that tweet. 

Keim on occasion though can be wrong.  And like he says minds can change at the FO and he shares it when they do.  So Howell might be an interesting journey.  For the moment, he seems to be the one guy that Keim singled out as not being their guy. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim's podcast pre Senior Bowl was pretty blunt about Howell not being their guy., doesn't though mean it plays out that way, will see   

Should be interesting what Keim says post Senior Bowl.  Based on a tweet he made recently, which he said the Senior Bowl confirmed previous thoughts that doesn't sound good for Howell unless Keim was referencing his own thougts and not the teams on that tweet. 

Keim on occasion though can be wrong.  And like he says minds can change at the FO and he shares it when they do.  So Howell might be an interesting journey.  For the moment, he seems to be the one guy that Keim singled out as not being their guy. 

Thanks for the info.  Like you said, SIP things can change and maybe they do in upcoming podcasts after the Senior Bowl and Pro Days.  :)  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Is it just me, or is Ridder the least accurate in the 1st quarter of games?  I wish we could break down his stats by half or by quarter to see if that's true.

Ridders accuracy issues have been almost infuriating this year. They really didn't seem to improve much from last year, I expected enhanced accuracy.  That said, I didn't think he looked too bad n the Senior Bowl. He did himself some good all in all

I was watching this highlight video of Treylon Burks and was shocked at how fast he looks:

He is just dusting people and has an elite top gear that he can hit on open field runs to pull away from defenders.

So I got curious and went looking for info about his speed and found that he was clocked at 22.6 MPH in week three.  That's the speed DK Metcalf hit on that famous when he chased down Buddha Baker to stop the pick six.  Holy **** this kid can fly.  He's not body beautiful like DK Metcalf, but he's the DK Metcalf of this group in terms of size, strength, and speed.

This is the fastest first to early second round crop of WRs I can remember.  I see at least five prospects with a real chance to run 4.3 (or better): Williams and Metchie, Olave, Burks, and Dotson.  We've talked a lot about the lack of consensus on the QB rankings, but I don't think there is anything remotely like a consensus on the WRs, and any notion that Garrett Wilson is WR1 is going to get blown up by the combine when Burks comes in and runs a low 4.3.

I honestly think Wilson needs to run low 4.4s to get picked in the first round.  Otherwise he has no strong argument at getting picked over guys who are bigger, faster, and were more productive in college.  I'm actually kind of excited about this because he's my favorite WR prospect and I want him to be in range of our pick at 42.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1