Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

31 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I wonder if Rivera and Del Rio think the light has turned on for Jamin Davis or they saw enough of him at weak that they feel much better about linebacker than we do?

A huge part of the value in drafting high character hard working dudes is banking on improvement and then being able to persevere at a high level. 

At least it’s not a guy lacking in physical talent, which I appreciate about this regime 

• Like 2

Really good value on the OL pick. Didn't watch any of his tape but like I said, I trust Matskos/The scouts on O-lineman and expect this dude to be at minimum a very high level backup.

The RAS score excited me. High ceiling guy because he didn't have any 2021 tape because he got hurt. Sounds like he will excel at guard and was played out of position at Tulsa.

Edit: how has Kevin Austin not been drafted yet? If he goes UDFA he is very high on my list of players to bring in. Immediately would kick AGG and Harmon off the roster.

Edited by Forever A Redskin

Overview
Paul has a guard body but played out of position at tackle over the last two seasons. There are limited downhill run reps over his last two years at tackle and his guard tape from 2019 is still a little raw, making his guard projection a tad murky. He's highly intelligent on and off the field. Picking up technique and scheme will not be a problem for him. However, picking up twists and slants might be an issue due to a lack of foot quickness and reactive agility. Paul has the size, strength, football character and toughness to play NFL guard but the limitations could make it a short stay in the league.

Projection: Priority free agent

Sounds like a good person.

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

Hogshaven had him as a prospect.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/3/28/22998993/would-drafting-chris-paul-be-a-slam-dunk-for-the-commanders

Here’s hoping drafting Chris Paul is a slam dunk for the Commanders

Player Overview

Tulsa’s Chris Paul is an interesting person, let alone draft prospect. In high school, the Houston product was team captain and class president. At Tulsa, he is a musical artist, has held several leadership positions, and is working on his MBA after getting a degree in computer information systems. On the field, he was has been Tulsa’s versatile most offensive lineman. He started at right guard as a freshman, switched to left guard as a sophomore, and played his final two years at right tackle. His quality play, his performance at the combine, and his maturity to balance all these interests should have him on many teams’ radar.

Chris Paul, OG

School: Tulsa | Conference: AAC

College Experience: Redshirt Senior | Age: 23

Height / Weight: 6’4” / 324 lbs

Projected Draft Status: 4th-6th round

Player Comparison: Ezra Cleveland

Strengths

• Quick out of his stance and moves easily
  • Solid base and strong anchor in pass protection
  • Hand placement on blocks very good
  • Athleticism helps him mirror rushers and recover if beat
  • Effective down blocker in the run game

Weaknesses

• Needs to improve strength especially in run game and sustain those blocks
  • Improve finding target in space
  • At times, upper body disconnected from feet causing him to lunge
  • Would like to see him play nastier and until the whistle

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

My issue with these statements is that there's no way for us to know for a year or two if it was a good trade. In theory it looks good because we got extra picks, but in practice if Hamilton ends up an All Pro and those 4 guys don't do anything of note, then it was a bad trade.

I remember most here thought we were the smartest most crafty mama jamas in the world in 2011 when we traded down from 11 to 16 and parlayed that into a bunch of extra mid round picks. But then we ended up with Kerrigan (who was a good player, but not special) and a bunch of guys who were off the team within a couple of years. Meanwhile the Texans ended up with a future HoFer in Watt. That was a bad trade.

So I'm not saying these trades were bad, just that we can't know if we actually came out on top until we see what happens with the picks over a bit of time.

• Like 1

We can’t plug every hole through the draft. Even if we draft someone of need, it doesn’t mean they are gonna be a solid player in their rookie season. 

Obviously we haven’t addressed MLB or buffalo nickel but maybe Ron feels we have enough there already. Of course there’s rookie free agency and some really good free agents still available. 

Overall I’m happy with the draft. I understand anyone can nitpick but I trust Ron and the scouts more than anyone on here or the thousand analysts. Remember Mike Mayock, supposedly an expert on the draft but a complete failure as a GM drafting for the Raiders (although Gruden might be more responsible).