Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

4 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

The guy has a great arm and can make all the throws, but that knee. His medicals must not have come back good if not one team was willing to give him a chance. I'd still bring him in and stash him on the Practice squad if nothing else. 

that's kind of what I'm thinking really.  I only mention a QB because I like having 4 QBs on the camp roster, and right now the vet camp bodies are playing in the USFL, plus rookies are cheaper

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Hard to do this without hindsight already. This should be something we do during the draft

Yeah, but it's not too bad if you made a board beforehand.  I just went by my board without double-drafting positions.  So for instance I picked Lloyd at 16 and as a result, didn't pick Dean at 47.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing the exercise as the draft is ongoing, but that might be messy since ideally we wouldn't be editing the posts.

Regardless, if you make a list right now, the amount of hindsight bias in it will be way less than it will be even just a month from now.

11 minutes ago, Conn said:

This is kind of difficult bc we have the benefit of knowing who kept falling. Most people here who love Howell and don’t put him down for at least the early 4th round pick will be liars lol 

Yeah that's why you have to be intellectually honest and follow your board, or else you won't gain any real insight from the challenge.

But even still, that level of hindsight knowledge that you get from doing the list now will pale in comparison to the amount of bias that's coming.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah, but it's not too bad if you made a board beforehand.  I just went by my board without double-drafting positions.  So for instance I picked Lloyd at 16 and as a result, didn't pick Dean at 47.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing the exercise as the draft is ongoing, but that might be messy since ideally we wouldn't be editing the posts.

Regardless, if you make a list right now, the amount of hindsight bias in it will be way less than it will be even just a month from now.

Gonna have to change my board next year to account for “value” instead of best players. There’s a lot of players I wouldn’t have taken based on my board the way the picks came off the board.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Smart spot for him imo, Eagles will give Hurts every chance to succeed this year but he’s not a great passer and Strong’s got the best chance to catch his coaches’ eyes and look good by comparison when he’s practicing next to his complete opposite, if he’s going to have any chance of hitting and sticking (nvm starting). 

• Like 1

7th round:

Tariq Carpenter: Was not on my draft radar.  Looks to be a safety/linebacker tweener who will have his work cut out for him to find his niche on the defense.  Given they signed a pro-bowl ILB in the offseason and drafted another in the first round, Carpenter will be fighting to become a rotational player at both LB and Safety which have entrenched starters.

Jonathan Ford: Not sure about taking him after grabbing a guy in Free Agency and spending a 1st round pick on DT.  Certainly has the size to play NT in the league, though.  See if he can rotate in and give Kenny Clark a break, or play in some goal-line situations.

Rasheed Walker: Didn't perform at the combine or Pro Day, so I didn't have an athletic profile to work from.  He was gone by the time I was looking for my 2nd lineman in the mock draft, anyways.  If our GMs are anything to go by, though, he's an absolute steal in the 7th round as he went in the 4th in our mock.

Samori Toure: Not a WR I was familiar with.  He'll have his work cut out for him to find his way on the field after they signed a FA in the offseason and drafted Watson and Doubs earlier in the draft.  And has to compete with returning WRs Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, and Amari Rodgers.

Non Packers pick:
Dawson Deaton was the last of 3 O-lineman that went undrafted in our mock draft that I said people should watch out for in the draft.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1

Maybe he will surprise me but part of the reason why I think we fail to get big names -- not that i wanted Brooks is some teams are willing to sway players wth good money.  Dan I don't think rolls that way -- surprise me Dan!   Dan known to be cheap on many counts. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Gonna have to change my board next year to account for “value” instead of best players. There’s a lot of players I wouldn’t have taken based on my board the way the picks came off the board.

I would keep it ranked by best player so you'd have that as your "true north" but you have to go away from that when you're actually handing in the picks so that you don't end up doing something like picking three guards in a row.  It takes a lot of art for how and when to deviate from your board and/or judge the market value for the available players.

One of the takeaways from this exercise is to demonstrate how difficult it is to make a good draft board, and also how difficult it is to stay true to your board and draft a good class where you get good value from your choices and you spread out your picks among position groups so that you don't create redundancy that will force you to cut some of your rookies after training camp.

14 minutes ago, Conn said:

Smart spot for him imo, Eagles will give Hurts every chance to succeed this year but he’s not a great passer and Strong’s got the best chance to catch his coaches’ eyes and look good by comparison when he’s practicing next to his complete opposite, if he’s going to have any chance of hitting and sticking (nvm starting). 

I actually disagree. He’s a completely different type of QB than Hurts, so any reps he’s getting are kind of not that useful in his development. If Hurts fails they would have to completely redesign the offense for him to contribute down the line. I like when teams take similar players.

I like Strong a lot but I think it’s a bad fit.