Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

4 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Be honest, for those who hate the 2nd and 3rd round picks, did you watch their tape at all? Or are you basing your draft grades on who ESPN told you were the best available players?

I suspect it's neither. I think it's, "Are you stupid? You didn't draft my draft crush!"

I remember predraft everyone declaring how upset they'd be if we picked Olave at 11 because would be such an overreach. Lo and behold, the Colts trade up to our pick to grab Olave and everyone's upset. Likewise, so many were cold on Hamilton because of his workout numbers. Now, many are apoplectic that Baltimore jumped in to get him before we got a chance. 

I wanted Hamilton. I'm not sure Hamilton is worth more to our team than a starting running back and a starting receiver.  

The frustration with the DT pick I think comes from frustration with the Payne, Settle, Ion move, frustration that we didn't take a draft crush, and frustration with the fact that the player himself said, "Boy, I thought I was drafted two rounds too early."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I'll say this from a Penn State perspective.  I'd be okay with getting Brandon Smith now...no way any earlier than this.  The guy is a human missile but he plays with zero control.  I can't count how many times he went for a huge hit and was sidestepped, it happened frequently.  If he can learn to play under control and wrap up, he has a lot of potential.

Also, he can make teammates testify.  Check #69 on the sidelines in this video.  This was when he was a true freshman.

22 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Individually I dont hate Dotson and Robinson (Matthis I think is a terrible pick anyway you look at it. A 2 down run stuffer in 2022 at any spot is terrible) I just question the value towards this tea, its current roster, and the asset management to acquire them.

I don’t agree that Mathis is a 2 down tackle. Last year he had 9 sacks and ran a 4.91. I think w some coaching he can develop into a 3 down player. Hell it’s not like Daron is a double digit sack player. He had 1.5 sacks his senior year at Bama!

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So that strategy doesn't work all that well now, though. A lot of the high floor guys are off the board and we are looking at potential.

Yeah I really wouldn’t expect them to follow that logic over the complete draft, especially after the 4th round. However the next two picks could easily be seniors, but I would say that is more by coincidence as opposed to a defined strategy.

2 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I'll say this from a Penn State perspective.  I'd be okay with getting Brandon Smith now...no way any earlier than this.  The guy is a human missile but he plays with zero control.  I can't count how many times he went for a huge hit and was sidestepped, it happened frequently.  If he can learn to play under control and wrap up, he has a lot of potential.

Also, he can make teammates testify.  Check #69 on the sidelines in this video.  This was when he was a true freshman.

Look, I'm a PSU fan as well. He would be the last player I would want from PSU this year. Freak athlete but not a football player. The only chance I see him succeeding is if a team uses him as an edge rusher. He's certainly not a linebacker.

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Sam Howell, QB, UNC - He is polarizing, not quite sure why. But he is not going to come into the NFL and be at minimum a really handy backup. We need to find a QB to backup Wentz, and now is the range where pulling the trigger on a guy who has played a lot of football makes sense. Not saying this as a Sam Howell apologist, though I understand if people think that. But we need someone to backup Wentz that has an arm if we don't want to see our receivers get thrown hospital balls.

I kind of want us to get Howell. I figure it'd be a reward for all KDawg's scouting. I've read more about him on this board than almost any other player.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Be honest, for those who hate the 2nd and 3rd round picks, did you watch their tape at all? Or are you basing your draft grades on who ESPN told you were the best available players?

I was pushing Najee last year, so I'm happy with the RB.  

I was hoping for a 10ish slot drop yesterday to add a 4th and 5th.  Seems like dropping a few, adding a few picks and we still have high shot at Mathis.   But I'm not against the player. 

7 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Look, I'm a PSU fan as well. He would be the last player I would want from PSU this year. Freak athlete but not a football player. The only chance I see him succeeding is if a team uses him as an edge rusher. He's certainly not a linebacker.

Well like I said...I'd be okay with it now....I saw some mocks with him in the second round and that would have been awful.  At this point, he might have the raw athleticism to be worth the risk.

Who knows, we got Dotson, I'm not begging for more :)

Oh, and for what its worth, I'm just assuming one of our two picks will be Jalyn Armour-Davis.  At this point, if he's in the range and from Alabama, I'll think it is happening until we stop taking them.

Dude, do we have a contact person within the NFL. I have been watching draft for two days. I only slept 6 hours total in two days because in Europa these timeslots are ****ed up. They better change that because I feel by found 5 I'm just a sleep hahaha

Edited by wilco_holland
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Most of the time people just follow general consensus. Or they know of like 6 players in the draft and they think we should have drafted one of them and get livid. It's the case here, in real life, social media... everywhere.

There are a few who follow it enough to know better but get so bent out of shape by the process that they hate everything about everything. I get that sense of sinking. I really, really do. And I get the angst over how we manage assets. It's an issue. But, that's not these guys fault. 

For what it's worth, I'll even exclude myself from this statement... We have some guys who really do some homework here. I don't think our group of Draft Thread regulars are any worse than national pundits... and we're not as plugged in. Imagine if we had the details they do?

SIP, Steve, DWinz, Chump... They've been doing this for years. We've also had some people recently step up that have done an overall nice job (including yourself).

Nothing bugs me more when someone pops in, drops an opinion that is clearly based on nothing but what they've heard on TV and then stick to it like they formed it themselves.

I have no issue with dissenting opinions. Hell, that's what makes this more fun here. But form the opinion yourself if you're going to go and die on a hill. 

I understand what you’re saying. Totally.

But there’s a history where pundits/draftniks (including the members here) hype certain players for months… watch Washington pass over these players… watch other specific teams draft these players…. and watch them contribute, most immediately…. while watching this franchise consistently underachieve…. gives a certain sense of entitlement. 🙂

Besides, I don’t see any All Pros on this roster.

And when I do get a player/coach prediction wrong, I’m not afraid to apologize.

10E08C93-BF32-4467-AB5D-1182C40F5746.gif

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I'm feeling less cranky about the draft this morning.    Here's hoping they don't reach in the 4th.

Domann would be a good buffalo nickel.   Only other LB's that I would consider are smith and Beavers.

OL - Kinnard, Slayer, Walker, Mitchell, Diesch, Waletzko

TE - Kolar, Likely, Bellinger, Otton

CB - Woolen, Mathis, McCollum, Bryant

S - McKinley, Tycen Anderson

I would also add Winfrey, Shakir and Calvin Austin, even though we won't draft another DL or WR

Edited by FLSkinz83

10 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Ed Marinaro’s old senile ass would still be up on stage rambling if it wasn’t for this courageous producer.

32C0B7B8-0965-4653-8373-71206EE80319.png

That was one of the weirdest things I've seen in a while. He was acting as if this was his Hall of Fame induction speech.  What a complete clown.

From the Wentz trade through the draft the offseason just smells of RR's desperation to win a few more games in 2022 as opposed to any long term thinking.  

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

That was one of the weirdest things I've seen in a while. He was acting as if this was his Hall of Fame induction speech.  What a complete clown.

From the Wentz trade through the draft the offseason just smells of RR's desperation to win a few more games in 2022 as opposed to any long term thinking.  

I think RR may actually believe in the roster they have; for example we've got Wise, Toney and Smith-Williams all ready to be given time in the rotation so maybe that's why we didn't pay Ion and Settle? The places I wonder about are TE and LB but I agree with others that we're gonna hit the next round of free agency and sign someone to fill in at those spots. Maybe Collins returns? A vet TE? Honeybadger? 

Thought maybe I could justify the Mathis pick if I went back and watched his cut ups again but no.  Still a huge reach, probably like -60 in value, and the fact that Perrion Winfrey is still on the board headed into round four makes the reach look really bad.  The fact that Baltimore got Travis Jones almost a full round after we picked Mathis makes us look bad.  And the fact that they got a first round pick for Hollywood Brown and a third and we're sitting here talking about trying to get a 3rd round pick two years out for Daron Payne makes us look like absolute clowns.  We have to stop finding the draft day reaches and God awful trading acceptable.

Anyway, on Mathis, I'm not sure he's being correctly characterized as a two gapping 1 tech and DaRon Payne replacement.  That's not how Bama used him this year anyway, I didn't look back further than this season.  Bama used him as an effort rushing three technique or stunting one tech, mostly on passing downs.  Second and third and fourth and longs were his downs.  In clear running situations he tended to come off the field for #47 and/or #92.  Mathis also wasn't the primary target of double teams and tended to only see them when they rushed three.  Their two gapping nose that soaked up almost all of the doubles was #94 DJ Dale.

I think our FO definitely sees him as a penetrating IDL with passing down utility, and I'm not sure I think he projects to be good enough in that role to merit a top 50 pick.  His best traits are his motor and his intelligence--he has really good play recognition skills and consistently finds the ball.  His effort is fantastic and the thing that defines him as a player, and I see why a coach with the power to run his draft would fixate on him because that is a trait they would value more than a non-coach.

But he is really slow.  He's the last one off the line of scrimmage fairly frequently and he has so many close but no cigar plays where he just can't get to the ball even after he located it early.  He's also got limited explosiveness and athleticism to where he can't really make tackles off his frame by even a yard or two.  He made his shockingly high sack total on clean up rushes where he just worked longer than the guard did or the assignments got mixed up on the twist.  Got a lot of his tackles from clean up situations too, where he was the second or third man there.  I'm not sure that we can expect a lot of that sack and tackle production to come with him to the NFL.

Another thing that gives me pause with him is that he's almost the same age as Daron.  Can you imagine what a 24 year old Daron would look like against the Miami or Ole Miss offensive lines?  Those play recognition skills become less impressive when you account for the fact that he's been in his system for 5 years and he's a 23 year old man outsmarting and outhustling 20 year olds.  And the age also means your upside for getting a good second contract out of him is pretty low too.  Then again, given how much of a minefield second contract negotiations have been for us, maybe the upside for that with our players is always terrible.

I look at where the rest of our division has done and how they are improving and I am very concerned.  We need homeruns and I just don't really think we hit them on the first two days.  We still have a chance to hit them today, but it gets harder the deeper you get into a class.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You don’t have to be a coach or an experienced executive to understand why drafting a interior lineman with a low ceiling pass rush ability at 47 is a terrible idea. You don’t even have to know any players from Adam. In the modern NFL, teams plug those spots with rando vets every offseason. Or draft someone later. Not in the 2nd round where you can add impact starters. That pick makes the trade back and the RB pick feel worse. 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Dude, do we have a contact person within the NFL. I have been watching draft for two days. I only slept 6 hours total in two days because in Europa these timeslots are ****ed up. They better change that because I feel by found 5 I'm just a sleep hahaha

I'm surprised you even get internet on Europa.

I'd be willing to wager we draft one of the remaining Cincy players today. Starting to get a gut feeling Beavers is our guy at LB. Ron was at cincys pro day for a reason. It's either Coby Bryant or Beavers. One of them is ours today if they are there.

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I think RR may actually believe in the roster they have; for example we've got Wise, Toney and Smith-Williams all ready to be given time in the rotation so maybe that's why we didn't pay Ion and Settle? The places I wonder about are TE and LB but I agree with others that we're gonna hit the next round of free agency and sign someone to fill in at those spots. Maybe Collins returns? A vet TE? Honeybadger? 

I hope we move Shaka to a hybrid Sam/Rush backer role like Bruce Irvin. He got his feet wet and learned NFL technique on the end last year. Time to put him in the best position to excel. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

You don’t have to be a coach or an experienced executive to understand why drafting a interior lineman with a low ceiling pass rush ability at 47 is a terrible idea. You don’t even have to know any players from Adam. In the modern NFL, teams plug those spots with rando vets every offseason. Or draft someone later. Not in the 2nd round where you can add impact starters. That pick makes the trade back and the RB pick feel worse. 

Lol. Mathis had 9 sacks last season, which was #1 in the entire FBS. I'd wager he will be a better pro than Payne when it's all said and done.

Payne had 1.5 sacks his senior year. 

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1