Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

I dunno. Ron said prioritizing high character guys was his thing, and he seems to be living up to it. The draft being a crapshoot anyway, these guys could work out just fine. And either way I think he’s making some good additions to the “culture”. I don’t think the draft evaluators are factoring in character nearly as much as Ron is. Of course it doesn’t really matter anyway because Snyder is still here. And if Snyder were to leave, we’d be so happy we wouldn’t care whether these picks worked out. I’m going to remain cautiously optimistic, even while still expecting the usual failure in the end.

Just now, woodpecker said:

I dunno. Ron said prioritizing high character guys was his thing, and he seems to be living up to it. The draft being a crapshoot anyway, these guys could work out just fine. And either way I think he’s making some good additions to the “culture”. I don’t think the draft evaluators are factoring in character nearly as much as Ron is. Of course it doesn’t really matter anyway because Snyder is still here. And if Snyder were to leave, we’d be so happy we wouldn’t care whether these picks worked out. I’m going to remain cautiously optimistic, even while still expecting the usual failure in the end.

I don't understand when teams say the draft is a crapshoot. Yeah there is a luck element involved, but there is a reason why the same teams draft well every year. They aren't just luckier than everyone else, but they understand value and asset management and they maximize every pick. Look at the Ravens as on example. Everyone drafts busts of course but some teams are just better than others.

I'd say the draft is more like poker or blackjack. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't understand when teams say the draft is a crapshoot. Yeah there is a luck element involved, but there is a reason why the same teams draft well every year. They aren't just luckier than everyone else, but they understand value and asset management and they maximize every pick. Look at the Ravens as on example. Everyone drafts busts of course but some teams are just better than others.

I'd say the draft is more like poker or blackjack. 

That’s fair. Mostly a crapshoot, but yes there is some skill involved. 

I’m very happy with the draft so far. Sure there may have been some other players who could be better or more of a need but we drafted 2 offensive skilled guys and a much needed depth or starter at tackle. 

What I like most about all 3 guys are that they seem like football players maybe intangibles aren’t ideal but guys who bleed football. Dotson plays bigger than his size. Mathis was a team captain at Bama. Robinson could have transferred after being stuck behind Najee and others but he stayed 5 years and finally broke out. 

These guys are ballers, never can have enough of them!

• Like 1

@KDawg

What's so exciting about Brian Robinson is that he has so little miles on him. Also he has so much untapped potential that could be brought out of him with coaching. He was just getting into a groove with his 1st year playing a full season as a starter. If we turned Gibson into a RB imagine Robinson with that same coaching. Stoked.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

What does the RB pick do to/say about the kid from Buffalo?

Not much, actually. Good chance we keep 4 with McKissick and Gibson having flex capability to play in the slots as well as RB. Versatility is the name of the game. Patterson would technically be Robinson's backup and Gibson/McKissick would be weapon types.

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see it play out like that. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I feel like everything is being done in the opposite. The gutting of the DLine was inevitable as soon as chase was being considered at #2. Why didnt you maximize value years ago? Why arent you building the base with these types of guys years ago. Its just backwards across the board. I dont understand 

I feel like everything is being done in the opposite. The gutting of the DLine was inevitable as soon as chase was being considered at #2. Why didnt you maximize value years ago? Why arent you building the base with these types of guys years ago. Its just backwards across the board. I dont understand 

After your post Day 1 anti run game tirade, I was excited to see your reaction to our Day 2 dedication to the run game.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

The “we don’t need a RB” crowd are puzzling the hell out of me. 

As for the draft? I think we have done well. 

Jahan Dotson was my #19 overall and WR4

Brian Robinson was my #47 overall and RB3

PhiPhi Mathis was my #50 overall and 1T2

Having said that… there is a legit gripe with asset management for this franchise. If Jameson Williams medicals checked passing on him is meh. I think Kyle Hamilton will be awesome, but we’ve drafted safeties high before and they’ve never made us a winner despite them being ****ing great (read ST21 almost single handedly carrying the franchise for a season).

Mathis may be my 50th ranked prospect but that doesn’t account for his position value or the board or draft slot value. We took Mathis and then my 1T1 went 30 picks later to the Ravens. Yes. That stings. And yes, I think that was bad drafting. But PhiPhi himself is not a bad football player. Dude is a mauler inside. The bigger problem with Mathis, for me, is the fact that he was an obvious need reach with so many quality players on the board. The player was a hit but the decision to take him wasn’t.

Brian Robinson… not going to listen to any negativity there. He was very likely the BPA in that slot. I know some don’t like him like I do but the team did. We just saved Gibson’s career by drafting him, too. 

Individually I dont hate Dotson and Robinson (Matthis I think is a terrible pick anyway you look at it. A 2 down run stuffer in 2022 at any spot is terrible) I just question the value towards this tea, its current roster, and the asset management to acquire them.

Just now, Forever A Redskin said:

@KDawg

What's so exciting about Brian Robinson is that he has so little miles on him. Also he has so much untapped potential that could be brought out of him with coaching. He was just getting into a groove with his 1st year playing a full season as a starter. If we turned Gibson into a RB imagine Robinson with that same coaching. Stoked.

Agree. I have seen people say he doesn't have wiggle but... he absolutely does. I love when he is full speed breaking to the outside near, say, the hash mark and a defender is barreling down from inside the hash mark... and without breaking a stride he shifts his weight off his outside foot back to the inside foot and breaks inside and the defenders falls over themselves.

And then he sees a safety and barrels over the poor ****.

This dude is a legitimate back.

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

Individually I dont hate Dotson and Robinson (Matthis I think is a terrible pick anyway you look at it. A 2 down run stuffer in 2022 at any spot is terrible) I just question the value towards this tea, its current roster, and the asset management to acquire them.

He's not a two down run stuffer.

But he can be subbed out for better pass rushers.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

In general I agree with this. I dont really have an issue with who we drafted, but I think our process sucks. And we do a poor job of asset management and valuation. 

Pretty much. Last pick was fine in terms of valuation, the first was a reach but understandable considering they had Moore, Burks and those guys a tier drop below. The 2nd was pure 1000% bad process. Simple as that, like using a pick on a long snapper last year. Robinson at around 100 is fine. I’d prefer signing a guy like Mack on a short deal or Justin jackson but Robinson’s fine and much better value than the 2nd rounder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Agree. I have seen people say he doesn't have wiggle but... he absolutely does. I love when he is full speed breaking to the outside near, say, the hash mark and a defender is barreling down from inside the hash mark... and without breaking a stride he shifts his weight off his outside foot back to the inside foot and breaks inside and the defenders falls over themselves.

And then he sees a safety and barrels over the poor ****.

This dude is a legitimate back.

Agreed. If we wanted a "Thunder" to Gibson's "Lightning" type running back tandem...we got the best Thunder in the draft.

We both called Phidarian Mathis, although I was late to the party because I didn't expect to be needing to scout DT until the Payne news. Everyone thinks we could have gotten him in the third, but if he was a reach it was only a slight one. Like 7-8 picks. 

Just like Robinson, he still has a ton of potential with coaching to be brought out of him. He plays a little high at times and has some bad habits that can be easily corrected. Could see him eventually being better than Payne, along with being a better teammate. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

JP Finlay pod:

Believes Rivera's strategy is to draft high floor, polished seniors who can step in and contribute right away instead of being developed into a contributor.

Yep Mayhew made a specific comments about the senior in this draft on the pre draft presser.

• Like 1

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Yep Mayhew made a specific comments about the senior in this draft on the pre draft presser.

I think we pivot from this strategy starting today and complete the draft with picking high ceiling, high RAS score guys. Or at least we should. This is the day to take some gambles on some boom or bust guys.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Yeah the rotten culture part wasn't really about the players. It was about the Front Office. Ron drafting high character guys is fine but I don't think the players were really the problem outside a few bad apples like Guice etc.

More than anything I just want him to draft guys that genuinely love football and want to be the best. There are guys out there full of talent with zero drive and dedication. I think back to when Grant and Danny had Dwayne Haskins on the show and they asked him what he likes to do in his free time, if he likes to play Madden and he responded that he didn't love football like that. Huge red flag. 

Think were passing on better talent to plug holes we created or dont actually exist. When you don’t draft the best player on the board more often than not, you won’t have the best roster.

The reasons the Ravens are having an amazing draft is because they do this every single year. It means hey sometimes youre going to have a down year but at least your pipeline is looking better. This franchise never does that. Its always about the one year plan 

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Be honest, for those who hate the 2nd and 3rd round picks, did you watch their tape at all? Or are you basing your draft grades on who ESPN told you were the best available players?

Don't hate the 3rd at all. I wanted competition for Gibson. The 2nd round pick irks me because of how things unfolded in free agency. I feel like DT shouldn't have been a need this high in the draft. 

• Like 1

Just now, Est.1974 said:

So that strategy doesn't work all that well now, though. A lot of the high floor guys are off the board and we are looking at potential.

Some high floor guys I can think of:

Damone Clark, LB, LSU - Primary issue is he is out for 2022 and having spinal surgery. Now, it's repairing a herniated disc and that surgery has gotten better over the years, but sometimes that surgery either doesn't do a whole lot to help or it leaves the person feeling worse. He is high risk from a health perspective but is as high floor as anyone in the draft as it pertains to on-field play. 

Sam Howell, QB, UNC - He is polarizing, not quite sure why. But he is not going to come into the NFL and be at minimum a really handy backup. We need to find a QB to backup Wentz, and now is the range where pulling the trigger on a guy who has played a lot of football makes sense. Not saying this as a Sam Howell apologist, though I understand if people think that. But we need someone to backup Wentz that has an arm if we don't want to see our receivers get thrown hospital balls.

Perrion Winfrey, 3-Tech, Oklahoma - Not sure on character, but they are. He is a very high floor player.

Josh Jobe/Jalyn Armour-Davis, CB, Alabama - Not much differentiates the two. They are Bama defensive players. They have a certain floor to be selected to play at Bama and seeing the field. I think they are fairly maxxed out but they can be on the football field and not be an immediate cause for panic. They fit the mold of what Rivera has gone after.

Marquise Hayes, OG, Oklahoma - I think he's a damn good guard, Good across the board and has a mean streak. 

Not much else that I can think of.

Low floor, high ceiling guys are prevalent, though:

Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State - Raw, athletic, hard hitting ass kicker. Needs some work but can play the ILB spot or hybrid spot. Like KB said, he is a LB in a safety frame.

Rasheed Walker, OT, Penn State - He is the literal epitome of high ceiling low floor. He reminds me a lot of Saahdiq Charles as far as athleticism, film that pops as if he is the best tackle in the draft and then film that pops as if the guy has never taken practice reps. 

I can't list all of them. There's a ton. 

• Thumb up 1

I don't know how you can defend what they are doing at DT. They went for this being a real strength to having to reach 2 rounds (by the player's own admission) to try to fill a void they created for themselves instead of drafting other positions of need or, here's a wild thought, just taking the best player available like the good teams do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Be honest, for those who hate the 2nd and 3rd round picks, did you watch their tape at all? Or are you basing your draft grades on who ESPN told you were the best available players?

Most of the time people just follow general consensus. Or they know of like 6 players in the draft and they think we should have drafted one of them and get livid. It's the case here, in real life, social media... everywhere.

There are a few who follow it enough to know better but get so bent out of shape by the process that they hate everything about everything. I get that sense of sinking. I really, really do. And I get the angst over how we manage assets. It's an issue. But, that's not these guys fault. 

For what it's worth, I'll even exclude myself from this statement... We have some guys who really do some homework here. I don't think our group of Draft Thread regulars are any worse than national pundits... and we're not as plugged in. Imagine if we had the details they do?

SIP, Steve, DWinz, Chump... They've been doing this for years. We've also had some people recently step up that have done an overall nice job (including yourself).

Nothing bugs me more when someone pops in, drops an opinion that is clearly based on nothing but what they've heard on TV and then stick to it like they formed it themselves.

I have no issue with dissenting opinions. Hell, that's what makes this more fun here. But form the opinion yourself if you're going to go and die on a hill. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

What does the RB pick do to/say about the kid from Buffalo?

Doubt it says much. The team had an extreme lack of RBs on the roster and most of the time you'd carry 4 guys. That still leaves a possible slot for Patterson even with the pick, though he was pretty meh his rookie year and could get beat out by others.

• Thumb up 1