Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 minute ago, Conn said:

I’m not sure I can ever remember a player that had such a disconnect, after so many snaps, between what the average fan thinks we have versus what the player actually is—than with Antonio Gibson. The majority of Washington fans on twitter, (having made the mistake of reading the comments, I’ve already given myself 15 lashings don’t worry about it) think he is a young stud bellcow who just has a slight fumbling problem. And I know some people here are under that delusion as well. For me the fumbling isn’t even a top-3 concern I have with him. 

I just can’t remember such a stark contrast between obvious reality and fan perception before. It’s not blind homerism, it doesn’t have that energy—it’s literally just a misunderstanding of his skillset and production so far, probably because he’s been decent in fantasy football, killed the combine, and has scored a good amount of TD’s. But it’s still weird to me given the lack of benefit of the doubt the rest of the roster gets—Gibson is apparently hogging it all for these people. 

I think bc he’s a converted WR, ppl think he’s more athletic than he is. I think he’s a fine player overall. He’s fast but not particularly shifty or elusive or twitchy. In fact, he looks like a guy that is still figuring out the position and leaves a ton on the field. Issue for him is that he’s a average RB and hasn’t a prayer for a 2nd contract here so he needs to put it all together quickly. He’s a good fantasy player so the fantasy nerds (like me) tweet about him a lot and ppl think that means he’s a good/great player. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, RWJ said:

It's up to RR and Co.  It's been suggested by NFL writers, and I am just putting it out there.  We could also trade our #113, our #230 first 7th rounder and our 2023 7th rounder.  Dude, I'm just speculating on IF they want Howell.  That's all.  

For sure man lol I mean, I’m not that worked up about it. 

Thought Payne took step in right direction of being more disruptive last season and speculate that will continue to trend up. 

Rons words don’t sound to encouraging at face value in regards to resting Payne though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

For sure man lol I mean, I’m not that worked up about it. 

Thought Payne took step in right direction of being more disruptive last season and speculate that will continue to trend up. 

Rons words don’t sound to encouraging at face value in regards to resting Payne though. 

I'm with you on Payne and think he's about t have a monster year and his value is still on our team. Hell, now we finally have a decent DT3 to rotate in for him.

• Confused 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

Hopefully this weird disconnect exists because Turner wants to be able to open up his offense with Wentz, and then be able to pound teams into submission in the second half to keep the pressure off of Wentz once we’ve done some scoring, creating less high pressure situations that people perceive to be his weakness by being able to hold leads and take advantage of his hot streaks while trying to minimize his cold streaks. It’s all I can think of that melds the two ideas. 

I think so.

I think its a very ying and yang offense.  In fact I have a hard time recalling such a balanced offense.

You got plenty of new school mixed with old school.

A.  Wentz is no game manager.  he's a gunslinger.  Love him or not love him, he's an aggressive new school type of QB -- off platform throws, gets the ball down the field

B.  Their first pick is an under 6 foot Wr who is fast and beats zone and can go deep.  New school WR type.   

C.  We got a ton of speed at WR. and at least in theory multiple weapons.

D.  As far as old school goes, like you said to nurse leads and rest our defense -- we got 2 bruising RBs.  A good O line that I bet gets upgraded in the 4th round tomorrow.  A talented D line.  A team that's building the trenches.

Dallas, NY, Philly are all trying to build in the trenches and have done so this off season.  We can't just ignore that.  We need to fight fire with fire. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I think bc he’s a converted WR, ppl think he’s more athletic than he is. I think he’s a fine player overall. He’s fast but not particularly shifty or elusive or twitchy. In fact, he looks like a guy that is still figuring out the position and leaves a ton on the field. Issue for him is that he’s a average RB and hasn’t a prayer for a 2nd contract here so he needs to put it all together quickly. He’s a good fantasy player so the fantasy nerds (like me) tweet about him a lot and ppl think that means he’s a good/great player. 

I think this is basically it, yeah. Fantasy owners were salivating when they thought McKissic was gone to Buffalo because they legitimately thought Gibson would become a 300+ touch player and catch 70+ balls. It’s bizarre how common that thought process is and yeah it’s a massive break between reality and fantasy that has the common fan on the internet really confused about why we “needed” a real RB in this draft. People project a skillset onto him that he hasn’t actually demonstrated, nevermind the issues with durability, vision, endurance, and other tangible and intangible things. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

14 minutes ago, Conn said:

I’m not sure I can ever remember a player that had such a disconnect, after so many snaps, between what the average fan thinks we have versus what the player actually is—than with Antonio Gibson. The majority of Washington fans on twitter, (having made the mistake of reading the comments, I’ve already given myself 15 lashings don’t worry about it) think he is a young stud bellcow who just has a slight fumbling problem. And I know some people here are under that delusion as well. For me the fumbling isn’t even a top-3 concern I have with him. 

I just can’t remember such a stark contrast between obvious reality and fan perception before. It’s not blind homerism, it doesn’t have that energy—it’s literally just a misunderstanding of his skillset and production so far, probably because he’s been decent in fantasy football, killed the combine, and has scored a good amount of TD’s. But it’s still weird to me given the lack of benefit of the doubt the rest of the roster gets—Gibson is apparently hogging it all for these people. 

The Gibson and Settle fan club is as odd as the Heini holder-oners.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I’ll be honest Robinson might be the starter by midseason. Already looks like a better runner than AG

This is going to sound like a hot take but I could see it even earlier than that. Week 1 would be nearly impossible just because there’s so little real contact in training camp and preseason and Gibson is the vet, Wentz will already be learning the new offense among all the other lineup changes etc. But it won’t take long for it to become apparent that Gibson should be the change of pace to Robinson and not the other way around imo. Injuries to anyone involved can change everything of course. 

• Like 1

I had Robinson at 100 on my board, that was the first pick we made that wasn't really a reach for me.  I preferred Tyler Allgeir, but Robinson is a good player and a good value at 98.

I'm just crestfallen that Dean ended up on Philly.  That ****ing sucks.

This FO is not good enough for us to vault up to contention.  I'm not satisfied with the draft reaches and bull**** trades and embarrassing failures in contract negotiations.  They aren't incompetent but they aren't good enough to get us to a championship level.  We're not hitting home runs.  I'm not even sure we're getting better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I had Robinson at 100 on my board, that was the first pick we made that wasn't really a reach for me.  I preferred Tyler Allgeir, but Robinson is a good player and a good value at 98.

This FO is not good enough for us to vault up to contention.  I'm not satisfied with the draft reaches and bull**** trades and embarrassing failures in contract negotiations.  They aren't incompetent but they aren't good enough to get us to a championship level.  We're not hitting home runs.  I'm not even sure we're getting better.

The answer to that last question is now solely on the performance of Wentz. I’m higher on him than most but even I was hoping they’d do everything humanly possible to make his job easier with impact players around him these first 3 picks. I think they only got 1. It’s disappointing. I think 10-7 is the ceiling. 

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The FO meme after two D drafts.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

My feeling of the draft. Let me try to explain it right.

I hate the way we draft. I don't hate the players themselves but get feeling we had a list of position+play style and reached to fill does positions. I can not believe that these guys where the highest rated on the draft board. So we reached. 

Second thing I see is we take solid players who can play now. They won't become a star but will make an impact early. 

So to summarize. We take a win now, contribute now, short term approach (because they believe we are close and Ron is on a hot seat). I don't like that. Short term gains will kill you in the long run in the NFL. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This feels like the worst draft in a long time so far. We traded down to pick up more draft picks, missed out on some blue chips WRs and Hamiliton (imo) only to then invest a premium pick into a player who won't start here this year if no one gets hurt. We had two great backups at that exact position that both signed for cap hits under 3 million elsewhere. If he was an awesome talent that just slid and we saw an opportunity to take advantage, okay. But his own agent apparently told him to expect to be drafted in round 3 or 4. Everyone seemed surprised on NFL networtk. It's also not a position you need to solve this year.

Then we draft a RB in the third round. Yeah, we needed another RB but we just drafted a RB in the third round a couple of years ago who was the second leading rusher in the NFC. I am not saying that we don't need another RB on our roster but not another top 100 pick. Drafting RBs high just doesn't make a lot of sense in general but it isn't even that we have a super pressing need. Could have added one in the later rounds.

So we managed to invest two top 100 picks into a backup DT and a RB who will share snaps with Gibson and McKissic. None of them have a clear cut path to starting. That's just wasting assets. My god this is underwhelming.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati - 6'1", 195

"He was the winner of the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation's top defensive back in 2021, while also garnering second-team Associated Press All-American and first-team all-conference accolades. Consistently challenged playing across the field from Sauce Gardner, Bryant led the Bearcats with 11 pass breakups in 14 starts, also recording 45 tackles, three interceptions (one returned for a score) and three forced fumbles. " -- by Chad Reuter

"Productive four-year starter whose experience sharpened his football IQ and leadership qualities. Bryant has good size and can be a real-time route reader, with above-average ball skills and an anticipatory brand of coverage. He will need help against NFL deep speed and could struggle in an off-man capacity when he has to transition and match route breaks throughout the game. Zone cover schemes that allow for a more linear, eyes-forward approach should play directly into his strengths and allow him to become a CB2/CB3." -- Lance Zierlein

Projected 3rd-4th round

:229:The Rook

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

👍

• Thumb up 1

Who the hell is going to play MLB. 

We better draft Beavers or Clark+ FA

Clark would be a very non-short sighted move. So we'll probably end up taking Diego Fagot from Navy to pair with Mayo at LB.

Confident we will get a very solid OL with one of the picks tomorrow.

As usual, fanbase reaction is awful to what in all reality is a super solid draft.

Gut feeling that Dotson will have the best rookie season of all the 1st rounders and Mathis will surprise at how good he is.

Would have rather had Pierce over Robinson but he's honestly probably just as good if not better than Pierce.

I trust our scouts in the mid rounds. I really do.

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Who the hell is going to play MLB. 

We better draft Beavers or Clark+ FA

Clark would be a very non-short sighted move. So we'll probably end up taking Diego Fagot from Navy to pair with Mayo at LB.

Confident we will get a very solid OL with one of the picks tomorrow.

As usual, fanbase reaction is awful to what in all reality is a super solid draft.

Gut feeling that Dotson will have the best rookie season of all the 1st rounders and Mathis will surprise at how good he is.

Would have rather had Pierce over Robinson but he's honestly probably just as good if not better than Pierce.

I trust our scouts in the mid rounds. I really do.

It’s the illusion of a super solid draft. Keep in mind this is the deepest draft in forever so grade it on a curve in a few years. Most teams outside of New England are having at least solid drafts.

In this case, I expect all three guys to hit as prospects if no injury but none of these three is a true difference maker. 

Taking Hamilton+Moore or Jammo+Andersen would’ve been going for the win. 

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

It's not that he's a bad RB, it's that he's really not a 3 down guy. You can even see it throughout a game that he gets worn down. Happens during the season too. It's just not who he is, but we're trying to force him into that role instead of playing to his strengths which would basically be a supercharged McKissic.

Which is fine, but you especially dont need a high round RB pick, in a day and age where RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL, for a guy whos just coming in for 1 of 3 plays, maybe.

• Like 1

PFF had Phidarian Mathis ranked as the 4th best DT

4. PHIDARIAN MATHIS, ALABAMA

There is really great value in either Hall or Phidarian Mathis somewhere in the second round. I will always fall for a defensive lineman who is always trying to use his hands to beat offensive linemen rather than through brute strength.

Mathis certainly has the strength to do that, but he’s not content unless he’s trying to club and rip through the opposing lineman. When you look at him compared to Christian Barmore, who manned the same position a year prior at Alabama, you can see why Barmore was picked 38th overall and then had an outstanding rookie season as a pass-rusher, finishing with a 76.1 pass-rush grade but only a 44.7 run-defense grade.

Mathis is the opposite. His strength will allow him to play the run right away in his NFL career, but he doesn’t have the same quickness that allowed Barmore to be a solid pass-rusher right off the bat. If Mathis falls below the middle of the second round, someone is getting a good player with really nice pass-rushing upside.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Well, everybody except his English teachers.💩💩

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I don't mind the Robinson pick, but I question how much he'll really raise our offensive floor. He's not a dynamic back, his vision is seems ok, his speed is ok, he basically just seems to follow blockers and power mostly in a straight line. Not much wiggle or elusiveness to him. I think he'll get tough yards but won't be much of a threat to break off big runs.

OTOH, if Robinson can pick the right holes and not fumble, he’ll have improved our RB situation. I’m not as down on AG as it may sound, but he’s definitely still got a ways to go. 

2 hours ago, Redskins Diehard said:

You thought the Chris Henry who died when he fell out of a truck would come out of retirement?

I assumed it was a zombie joke

2 hours ago, HoggLife said:

Mama is gone right 

You should probably ask your Papa about that

• Haha 1

Here's what I'd like to see tomorrow:

#113:  Sam Howell, QB UNC

#120: Max Mitchell, OT Louisiana

#189: Darrian Beavers, LB, Cincinnati

#230: Smoke Monday, S, Auburn

#240: Chase Allen, TE, Iowa St.   

• Like 2

Interesting note that this draft appears to be the polar opposite of last year's. 

Last year we took all 9.0+ RAS score guys with high ceilings. This year we took really high floor, team captain types. 

We can still crush this thing out of the park with some savvy moves tomorrow. I don't think a single pick has been wasted thus far. We have 3 picks that are all Day-1 impact guys.

I'm higher and higher on Mathis the more I dig deeper into his film.

Still need to Address: LB, BN, Slot Corner, TE.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1