Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Something to keep an eye on a Mayhew and Bowles connection.  This article and a recent visit with Trevon Walker may have some merit and then again maybe not.  I love Sweat and he should be paid and if we are going to move a player or not guarantee their 5th year that player should be Payne, IMO.  Maybe the Commanders think differently.  Something that bears watching.  I hope it doesn't materialize.  

This:  NFL mock draft 2022 with all trades - Bill Barnwell proposes deals for all 32 picks, with swaps for Kyler Murray, DK Metcalf, Jimmy Garoppolo (espn.com)

27. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Buccaneers get: 2-47, EDGE Montez Sweat
Commanders get: 1-27, 2-60

The Buccaneers, all-in for what might be Tom Brady's final season, need to find pass-rushers who can make an instant impact. They can draft one and hope to land a difference-maker, but another way to approach it would be to make a move for Sweat, who would be under contract for $2.1 million in 2022 before an $11.5 million option in 2023. His numbers weren't overwhelming in 2021 --  five sacks and 13 knockdowns in 10 games -- but the 2019 first-rounder had nine sacks and 20 knockdowns the year before. Sweat and 2021 first-rounder Joe Tryon-Shoyinka would be Tampa's new starting duo on the edge.

Washington would obviously love to keep its line of first-round picks together, but it has already given out a big deal to Jonathan Allen and will have to pay Chase Young as early as next year. The Commanders also need to recoup some of the draft capital sent away in the Carson Wentz deal. This trade values Sweat as being worth the 35th pick in a typical draft, which is reasonable for an edge rusher with a track record of good production with one year (and an option) left to go on his rookie deal. The Commanders could use this pick to draft a quarterback if someone they like is on the board or go after offensive linemen to protect Wentz.

Commanders schedule surprise meeting with potential No. 1 overall pick (riggosrag.com)

Edited by RWJ
  • Sad 1

From Walterfootball (so take it with a grain of salt):

"Another second-hand rumor going around with team sources is that both the Philadelphia Eagles and Baltimore Ravens covet Georgia nose tackle Jordan Davis. The Ravens hold the 14th pick, and the Eagles are one behind them at No. 15, so if Philadelphia wants to ensure it can land Davis, the organization may have to a short trade up like it did last year for DeVonta Smith."

Houston could easily take Davis.  Maybe Baltimore trades up to ensure they get Davis if we are willing to move down?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

Cousins didn't want to play for the organization and played Allen/Snyder to the "T".  Got FT maxed out and left and signed a fully guaranteed deal with the Vikings and then extended and it's fully guaranteed, I believe.  He has one of the best agents in the NFL in Mike McCartney.  He's done well but hasn't been able to get his team over the hump when it comes to the playoffs, etc..  His numbers are good and he ranks about middle of the road for starting QBs.  Not a bad journey for his NFL career at all.  

That is for sure.  I think his record is 59-59-1 as a starter and he has made over 230M.  His agent is better then Bob Sugar, LOL

I was curious and wanted to ask the membership a question.  

What are your draft day plans.  Do you like too watch alone, or go out, etc.  

Me..the draft I prefer to watch alone.  I do not like my friends jabbing me about the commanders.  It all fun though.  If I go with a couple of guys that take it seriously and bring our lists and mocks we usually have a the guy with the least amount of picks right pays for the tap.

Usually do not drink, just want to concentrate on the draft from two perspectives, Commanders and fantasy wise.

What do you prefer to do and what are you guys doing for the draft.

Thank the good lord that I am not a Jets fan.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I turn on my tv.

First round I will watch it... for about 10-12 picks.

Beyond that it's background noise. I listen for the chime, look up, come post on ES and go about doing something else. 

It does get a little drawn out, I think I am going to go on the treadmill this year until Commanders pick.  Maybe....🙄

A little off topic, however next years draft is in Detroit.  Will ES have a presence their, because I am going.  Bucket list.  Is anybody going to Vegas?

Another corner who is getting basically no air time here: Andrew Booth, Jr. from Clemson. Check him out.

This corner class is loaded.

Joshua Williams, Fayetteville State is another. There's not a lot out there. He was at the Senior Bowl and looked good. The film that's there is grainy and ugly other than Senior Bowl but he stands out as an athlete and a sticky coverage guy.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3

Also,

Let's talk.

I have been Kenneth Walker 1A, Breece Hall 1B for most of this process.

Been watching them both a lot.

I think I'm reversing it... not sold yet because every time I go to switch them in my rankings I watch Walker do something crazy and I get wet feet.

It's not that Kenneth Walker isn't as good as I thought... He is. He may be better.

But I think Hall is much better than I originally thought.

I said it before but man... I watch Hall and I see Clinton Portis. Pass pro monster, runs through tackles, tough, can get the tough yards or pull away.

Kenneth Walker can do that but he obviously prefers to just not be touched. He reminds me of Barry. Get close to him and good bye. One step shimmy, stutter, change of direction and out the door. But on the occasions he has to carry defenders on his back... he will.

Hall is a tone setter.

Walker is a cloud of dust.

I like them both a lot.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Matt Miller's mock today

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33779447/seven-round-nfl-mock-draft-2022-matt-miller-predictions-262-picks-making-two-trades-filling-needs-all-32-teams

5. New York Giants

Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon

Despite all the discussion about Thibodeaux's motor and personality, he still gets to the quarterback exceptionally well. He is an ideal fit in coordinator Wink Martindale's system and is an immediate upgrade for a defensive front that couldn't get to the quarterback last season.

Thibodeaux is one of the most polarizing players in the class; he could be a top-five pick or fall out of the top 10 altogether.

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=truecar.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

PROJECTED TRADE: Jets move up for a CB

The deal: NYJ send pick Nos. 10 and 69 and a 2023 third-round pick to CAR for pick No. 6.

With all eyes on the Panthers' needs at quarterback -- but the value in this class not matching up with the class -- the Jets could make a shrewd call to move up the board. This trade would allow Carolina to add much-needed capital and draft a quarterback at a more equitable spot.

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. New York Jets (via mock trade with CAR)

Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

The Jets could take a cornerback tailor-made for Robert Saleh's defense and one of the cleanest all-around prospects in the draft. Gardner's height, length, speed and agility make him a dangerous cover man.

For the Jets, Gardner fills what I believe is the team's biggest overall need. And in a year in which the asking prices are lower than normal drafts, the Jets could keep both picks in the second round to address wide receiver and pass-rusher needs.

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

7. New York Giants (via CHI)

Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State

The buzz surrounding the Giants and Cross has been building for weeks and is too strong to ignore. Should they draft Cross over Ikem Ekwonu? That's tough for me, but Cross' physical traits are appealing here.

Teaming him up with Andrew Thomas gives the Giants awesome bookends with which to truly evaluate quarterback Daniel Jones.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Atlanta Falcons

Drake London, WR, USC

The Falcons' wide receiver room is empty of legitimate NFL talent. Really. Take a second and try to name one of their wide receivers without looking it up -- no, Kyle Pitts doesn't count. See what I mean?

London is the best receiver in this class and will bring a legitimate playmaking threat to the passing game with his contested catch and red zone ability reminiscent of Mike Evans in his early days. London and Pitts will make the job fun for quarterback Marcus Mariota.

sea.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. Seattle Seahawks (via DEN)

Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State

The Seahawks could play the board beautifully and walk away with an offensive tackle prospect many believed could have been a No. 1 overall pick had the Jaguars not franchise-tagged Cam Robinson.

The offensive line in Seattle has been an issue for years, and drafting Ekwonu is a first step in solving long-term problems. He'll be a Day 1 left tackle starter.

car.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

10. Carolina Panthers (via mock trade with NYJ, through SEA)

Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt

In this scenario, the Panthers, desperate for a quarterback, trade back to select one at a better value while picking up capital to continue filling out an underdeveloped roster.

Pickett has his flaws, but he is an experienced and accurate passer who can create from the pocket and on the move. He would be given every chance to start Week 1 in Carolina.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

11. Washington Commanders

Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

Hamilton, arguably the best player in the entire class, could fall outside the top 10 because of positional value. For the Commanders, it's a dream come true as he fills the team's biggest need.

Hamilton is a Day 1 impact for this defense and would make an immediate difference on the field as a starting strong safety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Georgia · S · Junior

Several names surface in conversations with teams about the second safety off the board behind Notre Dame's Kyle Hamilton. But no one comes up more often than Cine, who is 6-foot-2 1/4, 199 pounds -- and, as one GM put it, "can absolutely f---ing run." Cine blazed the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine, with a 36 1/2-inch vertical leap and an 11-foot-1 broad jump. He was highly productive for the Bulldogs, racking up 73 tackles and nine pass breakups on the way to third-team All-America honors and winning defensive MVP of the College Football Playoff National Championship Game. Teams say his personality isn't what you'd expect from such a physical player, but it's not seen as a problem, especially given how hard he plays. So, while some prefer Michigan's Dax Hill, Baylor's Jalen Pitre or Penn State's Jaquan Brisker, Cine has a lot of fans and his draft slot figures to reflect that.

Quay Walker
Georgia · LB · Senior

At this point, it'll be a surprise if Walker isn't a first-round pick; multiple GMs say they won't be shocked if he's the first linebacker off the board ahead of Utah's Devin Lloyd, perhaps even in the top 20. Walker is a freaky athlete who ran a 4.52 40 (fourth among linebackers) at 6-3 3/4, 241 pounds. He posted career highs last season with 25 QB pressures and 67 tackles, including a team-high eight in the national championship win over Alabama. Walker's not regarded as the most instinctive player, but he can do a little of everything -- cover, man the box, set the edge, play downhill -- and a robust slate of visits and interviews with teams has drawn generally positive reviews. There's just too much value and upside for Walker to stay on the board for too long.

Georgia · WR · Junior

If teams were drafting strictly off the tape, Pickens would be a good bet to go in Round 1, despite having just five catches in four games last season after returning from a torn right ACL suffered in spring practice. In 22 games over his first two years on campus, Pickens had 85 catches for 1,240 yards and 14 touchdowns, flashing the size (6-3 1/4, 195 pounds), speed (4.47 40) and ability of a true "X" receiver who can win one-on-one. There are concerns about Pickens' maturity and his willingness to follow the program. (Among other things, he was suspended for the first half of a game against Georgia Tech for violating team rules in 2019 and got into a fight in the second half of that game, sidelining him for the first half of the SEC Championship Game.) But it only takes one team to overlook all that and bet on Pickens' talent, which has drawn some comparisons to former Bulldogs star A.J. Green

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Miller also had KC trading #29+#50+2023 2nd rounder for #13 to allow KC to take Jameson Williams.  I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

With the just the players on the board, we could take:

29). Walker/Hall

47).  Brisker

50). Metchie

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

This is one of the best Safety classes I can recall. A solid one could be had even on day 3 IMO. 

I think the safety class is split. Some are better box guys. I don’t see a lot of deep patrolling safety depth to be honest. Fairly weak class in that regard. Lots of hybrid/box types, though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Matt Miller's mock today

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/33779447/seven-round-nfl-mock-draft-2022-matt-miller-predictions-262-picks-making-two-trades-filling-needs-all-32-teams

5. New York Giants

Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon

Despite all the discussion about Thibodeaux's motor and personality, he still gets to the quarterback exceptionally well. He is an ideal fit in coordinator Wink Martindale's system and is an immediate upgrade for a defensive front that couldn't get to the quarterback last season.

Thibodeaux is one of the most polarizing players in the class; he could be a top-five pick or fall out of the top 10 altogether.

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=truecar.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

PROJECTED TRADE: Jets move up for a CB

The deal: NYJ send pick Nos. 10 and 69 and a 2023 third-round pick to CAR for pick No. 6.

With all eyes on the Panthers' needs at quarterback -- but the value in this class not matching up with the class -- the Jets could make a shrewd call to move up the board. This trade would allow Carolina to add much-needed capital and draft a quarterback at a more equitable spot.

6. New York Jets (via mock trade with CAR)

Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati

The Jets could take a cornerback tailor-made for Robert Saleh's defense and one of the cleanest all-around prospects in the draft. Gardner's height, length, speed and agility make him a dangerous cover man.

For the Jets, Gardner fills what I believe is the team's biggest overall need. And in a year in which the asking prices are lower than normal drafts, the Jets could keep both picks in the second round to address wide receiver and pass-rusher needs.

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

7. New York Giants (via CHI)

Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State

The buzz surrounding the Giants and Cross has been building for weeks and is too strong to ignore. Should they draft Cross over Ikem Ekwonu? That's tough for me, but Cross' physical traits are appealing here.

Teaming him up with Andrew Thomas gives the Giants awesome bookends with which to truly evaluate quarterback Daniel Jones.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Atlanta Falcons

Drake London, WR, USC

The Falcons' wide receiver room is empty of legitimate NFL talent. Really. Take a second and try to name one of their wide receivers without looking it up -- no, Kyle Pitts doesn't count. See what I mean?

London is the best receiver in this class and will bring a legitimate playmaking threat to the passing game with his contested catch and red zone ability reminiscent of Mike Evans in his early days. London and Pitts will make the job fun for quarterback Marcus Mariota.

sea.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. Seattle Seahawks (via DEN)

Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State

The Seahawks could play the board beautifully and walk away with an offensive tackle prospect many believed could have been a No. 1 overall pick had the Jaguars not franchise-tagged Cam Robinson.

The offensive line in Seattle has been an issue for years, and drafting Ekwonu is a first step in solving long-term problems. He'll be a Day 1 left tackle starter.

car.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

10. Carolina Panthers (via mock trade with NYJ, through SEA)

Kenny Pickett, QB, Pitt

In this scenario, the Panthers, desperate for a quarterback, trade back to select one at a better value while picking up capital to continue filling out an underdeveloped roster.

Pickett has his flaws, but he is an experienced and accurate passer who can create from the pocket and on the move. He would be given every chance to start Week 1 in Carolina.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

11. Washington Commanders

Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

Hamilton, arguably the best player in the entire class, could fall outside the top 10 because of positional value. For the Commanders, it's a dream come true as he fills the team's biggest need.

Hamilton is a Day 1 impact for this defense and would make an immediate difference on the field as a starting strong safety.

Why not just take Gardner at 4 and keep the draft capital?  Who does it have them taking at 4?

58 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Also,

Let's talk.

I have been Kenneth Walker 1A, Breece Hall 1B for most of this process.

Been watching them both a lot.

I think I'm reversing it... not sold yet because every time I go to switch them in my rankings I watch Walker do something crazy and I get wet feet.

It's not that Kenneth Walker isn't as good as I thought... He is. He may be better.

But I think Hall is much better than I originally thought.

I said it before but man... I watch Hall and I see Clinton Portis. Pass pro monster, runs through tackles, tough, can get the tough yards or pull away.

Kenneth Walker can do that but he obviously prefers to just not be touched. He reminds me of Barry. Get close to him and good bye. One step shimmy, stutter, change of direction and out the door. But on the occasions he has to carry defenders on his back... he will.

Hall is a tone setter.

Walker is a cloud of dust.

I like them both a lot.

Funny you mention it because I have the same struggle. Hall I feel is the total package prospect. But there's just something about Walker that makes me feel he will be special. I flip flop on them all the time.

The Portis comp is one that came to mind for me as well and it has me salivating at the thought of a Portis + Gibson backfield.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think the safety class is split. Some are better box guys. I don’t see a lot of deep patrolling safety depth to be honest. Fairly weak class in that regard. Lots of hybrid/box types, though.

Yeah, that's likely the case. I do see potential in Kolby Harvell-Peel, Corker, Turner-Yell, Belton, Butler, Bell, Weatherford, Juanyeh Thomas though. Good athletes IMO with decent upside.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Funny you mention it because I have the same struggle. Hall I feel is the total package prospect. But there's just something about Walker that makes me feel he will be special. I flip flop on them all the time.

The Portis comp is one that came to mind for me as well and it has me salivating at the thought of a Portis + Gibson backfield.

Walker in the early 3rd in Miller's draft

15 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Why not just take Gardner at 4 and keep the draft capital?  Who does it have them taking at 4?

3. Houston Texans

Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU

The first surprise pick of the draft and one I'm hearing considerable buzz about as we get closer to Round 1 kicking off. The Texans have many needs and could truly go "best player available" here, but the allure of Stingley is too great to pass on in a draft class that is not deep at cornerback and is at other positions of need such as wide receiver and defensive end.

Stingley was the best defensive back in the nation as a true freshman in 2019. If the Texans can unlock that ability, he has the tools to become an All-Pro player.

4. New York Jets

Evan Neal, OT, Alabama

A surprise at No. 4! The Jets could get a pass-protector for Zach Wilson knowing that this class is deep at wide receiver and edge rusher. It also has two early Round 2 picks to take a cornerback. Neal can play left or right tackle and gives the Jets insurance against Mekhi Becton's future if he can't return from his injury-plagued 2021 season.

Jets general manager Joe Douglas loves linemen, and the temptation to draft the top-ranked one in this class is too great for him to pass on.

Judging purely by mock draft talking heads, feels like almost no chance a QB is going top 10.  I guess will see soon enough. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

SS is not our biggest need 

True though you really shouldn't draft first round based on need.

On the other hand with Landon and I think Everette gone, we do have a safety need . Besides, we do have a huge need for a player who can cover tight ends. At safety right now, we have Kurl and McCain and while I think Kurl is a player I'm not sure we should be satisfied with McCain. 

Remembering last year's defense, I'm not sure an argument can be made that our secondary doesn't need improvement.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Miller has us taking Hamilton and Christian Harris.  I'm a big Harris fan, but I'd be shocked, stunned, floored, etc....if we took Hamilton and then took Harris.

Miller has us making our defense truly elite. I wouldn't hate the draft. He does have us taking Zack Tom (G/T Wake Forest) in Round 4, and Erik Ezunkma WR in Round 6 before going CB and LB again in Round 7.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Burgold said:

True though you really shouldn't draft first round based on need.

On the other hand with Landon gone, we do have a safety need and I think Everette. Besides, we do have a huge need for a player who can cover tight ends. At safety right now, we have Kurl and McCain at safety and while I think Kurl is a player I'm not sure we should be satisfied with McCain. 

Remembering last year's defense, I'm not sure an argument can be made that our secondary doesn't need improvement.

FS: McCain, Reaves

SS: Curl, Forrest

We definitely need another safety. I'm okay with those 4 guys right now, but adding a buffalo nickel helps both LB and safety, so that's why I am okay with the Hamilton pick. Harris seems repetitive, because there aren't going to be many scenarios where you have Hamilton and Harris on the field without bumping Curl or Holcomb or Davis. So the Harris pick would be a depth piece overall without bumping a current starter off the field. 

13 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Secondary is one of those large position groups like OL where you constantly need to have reinforcements in your pipeline.  Realistically, you're going to be playing a minimum of seven DBs a game.  And I think that, in order to be a dominant pass defense, you've got to have seven good DBs on your roster, and the ideal scenario is to have a lot of guys with position flex because you can't really know how your match ups are going to get all screwed up and attacked by the offense.  You can't have weak links or the string will break, so it's very difficult to maintain a good secondary year in and year out, and probably takes a solid investment from your drafting or free agent spending every offseason to keep up.

I don't usually like rules of thumb for the drafting because of how the process is so heavily based on contingency, but I think a good rule of thumb is to plan on drafting a DB and an OL every single year.  Preferably within the top 150 if possible, but you can always find quality DB prospects late in the draft.  But the unit takes annual maintenance.

4 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

I didn't realise Hamilton WAS a Strong though 🥴

He's the rare bird that can play every role of the safety position.  I see him as most comfortable in deep shells, but many believe he is actually better in the box or in the slot.  Regardless, he can do all three roles at an elite level.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1