Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

In 10 years there will be 3-4 Hamiltons on the field per team, let’s go ahead and get a head start. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 8.59.07 PM.png

Just now, KDawg said:

Same. And I like Dotson more than Olave. Not as fast but so much more physical. And I wouldn’t want Dotson at 11, either. 

The separation thing with London is so overblown.

But I’ve defended him so often here I’m tired of repeating myself. Hopefully we draft him and the naysayers convert.

Yeah if I am going to finish watching players in time, I got to stop defending players, I need to let that go now.  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Interesting note on Damone Clark.

He was granted to wear number 18. The number that is only given to players that exhibit leadership on the team. He was the heartbeat of the LSU defense and an excellent teammate apparently.

I'd love if he were our LB pick in the later rounds coupled with a post-draft free agent signing while he recovers from the surgery. As far as late rounders go he's my favorite, but would be just as happy with Brandon Smith or Darrian Beavers. Beavers is interesting because he's a former DE and can add some pass rush.

I don’t think there is going to be a much better draft value than Damone Clark, potentially, if he goes in the 5th or later. 9.74 RAS guy. 6’2.5”,

239 pounds with 33 inch arms and ran a 4.57 with a 36.5 inch vertical and 127 inch broad jump. Was very productive and a team leader. His surgery is a one off, not a LE injury that should affect his athleticism or availability long term. 

Grabbing Clark in the later rounds would really excite me. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Got to think Commanders trade in the upcoming draft.  Mayhew let the public know they are open for business.  The only question is where?  I expect them to come out of the draft with 8 possibly 9 selections rather than the 6 draft selections we have. Draft needs and depth.  

My two cents on who to take at 11:

1.  I'm hoping Williams or London is there and we take them.  Love the high ceiling for both of them, but would be ok with Wilson too bc I like his floor. The reason I want to go wr is for the same reason I thought scherff was a great pick at 5 overall: he made us realize we had a good qb in cousins.  Before scherff, cousins was close to being relegated to journeyman lifetime backup.  With scherff, our line improved for us to see cousins can succeed in this league, and Morgan Moses also elevated his game too.  With one draft pick, we improved three positions and our offense was drastically improved.  

I feel a stud wr can have the same effect.  We will be able to see that Wentz is the QB of the future, Terry will be able to elevate his game without having the full attention of the defense, and that one selection can lead to a huge improvement with our offense as a whole.   (And if we can get a solid RB in the 2nd, I'm all for that too for similar reasons).

2.  I am 100% against Kyle Hamilton and will throw up on the spot if we take him.  If there are questions about his coverage ability, and he has plenty of bad tape vs quality teams, then we are probably going to get the next laron Landry, jabrill peppers, Landon Collins, etc.  One dimensional box safety who gets roasted in coverage, and was drafted too high.  I know a do it all safety is a prized possession, but I hope we resist the song of the sirens, bc I don't believe Hamilton is the prize that many want to believe he is.  I'd love to have the next derwin James too, but KH ain't it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RWJ said:

So your guy is Hamiton at #11 or are you still confused and thinking it through.  :)

No confusion I've been uber consistent.   I've said a zillion times Hamilton is not my guy at 11.   He's been consistently my 4th choice at 11.  My #1 guy seemingly forever guy would be Drake London.  Then Wilson.   I am intrigued with Jameson Williams if his speed checks out.  Lloyd also intrigued me but looks like he's out of consideration by this team.

But yeah to use an ice cream analogy, if I went to an icre cream shop and they were out of my top 3 flavors, i'd still be happy with the 4th -- Hamilton.

To each their own but i think the moaning on the thread by some about Hamilton at 11 surprises me.    He's a special player. 

I did say on this thread that IMO some mock drafters are too carried away with the generational stuff and their pushing that he's the best player in the draft -- i meant it as I said it.  That is, I don't think he's generational.   But I do think he is one of the best players in this draft.  I don't think he's the best.  But he does end up in my top 10 when i post my top 100.   

So even if he's not my top guy at 11, he's a stud IMO and an exciting get if they go that route. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-news-rumors-standoff-jacksonville-interesting-jets-draft-more/

Chiefs and Cardinals eyeing the receiver position in the first round?

The belief is that the Kansas City Chiefs will take defensive end Boye Mafe and a receiver with their two selections late in Round 1, but could they use both choices on defensive prospects? The answer is yes, from what I’m told.

If Chris Olave is not available and they can’t trade up for WR Jameson Williams, sources close to the Chiefs tell me Washington cornerback Kyler Gordon is being seriously considered with one of those two picks.

The Arizona Cardinals are another team that wants to draft a receiver but will likely be shut out of the top players at the position. And those (Olave, London, Wilson) are the wideouts they most covet.

So which direction will they go with the 23rd pick? The obvious answer is the interior offensive line — Zion Johnson or Kenyon Green. The surprise pick could be Logan Hall out of Houston, who’d be a great fit for that system.

Cincinnati WR Alec Pierce is a name to watch in Round 2

Alec Pierce of Cincinnati is one receiver swiftly moving up draft boards that Kansas City and Arizona could consider in Round 2.

Though rated lower on the outside, Pierce has been consistently receiving second-round grades from teams and may not make it into the third frame. He was prominent during the Bearcats’ march to the College Football Playoff and turned in a terrific senior season.

He tested incredibly well at the combine, timing 4.41 seconds in the 40 with an insanely fast 10-yard split of 1.46 seconds. Only two receivers, Skyy Moore (1.44) and Tyquan Thornton (1.41), had faster 10-yard splits at the combine. His vertical jump of 40.5 inches was tops for the receiver group in Indianapolis.

So who are the candidates for Pierce in Round 2? The Bears pick 48th and have shown a lot of interest in the wideout, as have the Green Bay Packers at pick 53. Don’t discount the Indianapolis Colts with the 42nd selection.

The Jets draft will be interesting, to say the least

Earlier this week, we reported that Joe Douglas was all in on Deebo Samuel and ready to use the 10th pick of the draft to acquire the talented skill player from San Francisco. A league executive confirmed this to me on Sunday and also said if Douglas could pry DK Metcalf from the Seattle Seahawks with the 10th pick, he would make that move.

And now that I’ve got your attention, I suggest all Jets fans sit down as they read the final piece of this story.

I am told Jets owner Woody Johnson will be very involved in this year’s draft. To what extent will Johnson be involved? I did not get specifics, but is any involvement in the draft from Woody Johnson good involvement?

Now, for those who may want to burn down my home, let me tell you this — the source on Johnson’s involvement in this year’s draft is the same person who informed me just days before the 2019 NFL Draft that former Jets GM Mike Maccagnan would be fired soon afterward and told me two weeks in advance of last year’s draft that the 49ers’ pick at the quarterback position would be Trey Lance over Mac Jones.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No confusion I've been uber consistent.   I've said a zillion times Hamilton is not my guy at 11.   He's been consistently my 4th choice at 11.  My #1 guy seemingly forever guy would be Drake London.  Then Wilson.   I am intrigued with Jameson Williams if his speed checks out.  Lloyd also intrigued me but looks like he's out of consideration by this team.

But yeah to use an ice cream analogy, if I went to an icre cream shop and they were out of my top 3 flavors, i'd still be happy with the 4th -- Hamilton.

To each their own but i think the moaning on the thread by some about Hamilton at 11 surprises me.    He's a special player. 

I did say on this thread that IMO some mock drafters are too carried away with the generational stuff and their pushing that he's the best player in the draft -- i meant it as I said it.  That is, I don't think he's generational.   But I do think he is one of the best players in this draft.  I don't think he's the best.  But he does end up in my top 10 when i post my top 100.   

So even if he's not my top guy at 11, he's a stud IMO and an exciting get if they go that route. 

Our likes are the same as on my wishlist, I have both Wilson/London at #11.   It's possible both are gone.  If so, I'd like to see a trade down as I think RR and Co, would be reaching for Olave at #11 and trading down in the mid round of the 1st makes more sense and they can still draft him.  Hamilton is special and good but there are other options at FS as we know.  I'd use Hamilton as a trade chip if possible or a QB if a team like the Steelers or Saints want to move up depending on who's there.  If we draft Hamilton, I wouldn't be disappointed but I wouldn't be thrilled.  I'd be ok with it.  Mayhew made mention of us trading down and I expect it if not once maybe twice in this draft.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-news-rumors-standoff-jacksonville-interesting-jets-draft-more/

Chiefs and Cardinals eyeing the receiver position in the first round?

The belief is that the Kansas City Chiefs will take defensive end Boye Mafe and a receiver with their two selections late in Round 1, but could they use both choices on defensive prospects? The answer is yes, from what I’m told.

If Chris Olave is not available and they can’t trade up for WR Jameson Williams, sources close to the Chiefs tell me Washington cornerback Kyler Gordon is being seriously considered with one of those two picks.

The Arizona Cardinals are another team that wants to draft a receiver but will likely be shut out of the top players at the position. And those (Olave, London, Wilson) are the wideouts they most covet.

So which direction will they go with the 23rd pick? The obvious answer is the interior offensive line — Zion Johnson or Kenyon Green. The surprise pick could be Logan Hall out of Houston, who’d be a great fit for that system.

Cincinnati WR Alec Pierce is a name to watch in Round 2

Alec Pierce of Cincinnati is one receiver swiftly moving up draft boards that Kansas City and Arizona could consider in Round 2.

Though rated lower on the outside, Pierce has been consistently receiving second-round grades from teams and may not make it into the third frame. He was prominent during the Bearcats’ march to the College Football Playoff and turned in a terrific senior season.

He tested incredibly well at the combine, timing 4.41 seconds in the 40 with an insanely fast 10-yard split of 1.46 seconds. Only two receivers, Skyy Moore (1.44) and Tyquan Thornton (1.41), had faster 10-yard splits at the combine. His vertical jump of 40.5 inches was tops for the receiver group in Indianapolis.

So who are the candidates for Pierce in Round 2? The Bears pick 48th and have shown a lot of interest in the wideout, as have the Green Bay Packers at pick 53. Don’t discount the Indianapolis Colts with the 42nd selection.

The Jets draft will be interesting, to say the least

Earlier this week, we reported that Joe Douglas was all in on Deebo Samuel and ready to use the 10th pick of the draft to acquire the talented skill player from San Francisco. A league executive confirmed this to me on Sunday and also said if Douglas could pry DK Metcalf from the Seattle Seahawks with the 10th pick, he would make that move.

And now that I’ve got your attention, I suggest all Jets fans sit down as they read the final piece of this story.

I am told Jets owner Woody Johnson will be very involved in this year’s draft. To what extent will Johnson be involved? I did not get specifics, but is any involvement in the draft from Woody Johnson good involvement?

Now, for those who may want to burn down my home, let me tell you this — the source on Johnson’s involvement in this year’s draft is the same person who informed me just days before the 2019 NFL Draft that former Jets GM Mike Maccagnan would be fired soon afterward and told me two weeks in advance of last year’s draft that the 49ers’ pick at the quarterback position would be Trey Lance over Mac Jones.

Thanks for the post SIP.  I live for this inside stuff!!

• Like 3

Does anyone else here think that a Christian Watson pick would be a lot like the Jamin Davis pick? High upside elite RAS guy with limited production at a position of relative need? In a bubble, only thing I’d like better about Watson as a prospect is his senior bowl performance. 

I still think he would be a better selection. Than Davis though, because we already have Terry and really just need that outside complement. And he would suit what Wentz does well and allow Samuel to kick back in to be a slot/gadget guy. It’s a better schematic and personnel  fit. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Does anyone else here think that a Christian Watson pick would be a lot like the Jamin Davis pick? High upside elite RAS guy with limited production at a position of relative need? In a bubble, only thing I’d like better about Watson as a prospect is his senior bowl performance. 

I still think he would be a better selection. Than Davis though, because we already have Terry and really just need that outside complement. And he would suit what Wentz does well and allow Samuel to kick back in to be a slot/gadget guy. It’s a better schematic and personnel  fit. 

If we can't get Wilson/London in the first I wouldn't mind him being drafted in the later part of the 1st round depending on how far we trade down.  I think he goes no later than early in the 2nd before we'd have a chance to draft him at #47 if we were to address another need with our 1st rounder.  I like him and think he will have a very successful career and prove the naysayers wrong.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Sometimes I think this comes down more to how coaches change a scheme and players around them. We tried to make jamin something he wasn’t rather then employ him in a way that made him a weapon. 

See Landon Collins. When they finally forced him to play a role best suited to him, he excelled and the defense was better for it. I think the same applies to jamin. 

is it any wonder that lesser receivers perform well with guys like mahomes or Rodgers? Wentz is no world beater but I think a guy like Watson could shine here if used correctly with a qb that can make all the throws. 

Hill and Adams are great but I think we all expect regression in production in their new settings. The same as we should rightfully expect an uptick, even if just in ypc and td’s from mclaurin with wentz. 

But I think our coaches can do a better job (and did the second half of the season) putting players in a better spot to succeed. It’s no coincidence that Collins, McCain and Jackson looked better at the end of the year. 

• Like 3

Games Watched: Clemson (2020), Florida State (2021), Purdue (2021),

Best Game: Florida State (2021)

Worst Game: N/A

Range - 14.5/15: Absolutely stupid range given his size (listed at 6’4” 220 lbs), He can be a true centerfielder, standing alone deep downfield. Makes up for a lot of coverage deficiencies. Offenses must scheme out routes or routes to the opposite side of the field away from him. Even then, if it’s a 9-route, Hamilton still might get there.

Versatility - 10/10:  Able to be left single high and make a play on the ball, or man up against TEs in the slot. Extremely versatile player. Even see him lined up at LB from time to time. Has the COD ability to match up with slot receivers or RBs out of the backfield. 

Man Coverage - 9.5/10: Does an incredible job of staying in phase with the receiver. His man coverage ability is absurd for a safety. Unreal recovery ability when he gets out of phase on crossers.  

Zone Coverage - 9.5/10: Recognizes when to pass routes to the CB, extremely fluid movement. Unreal reaction ability. Got worked by Trevor Lawrence's eyes on one deep shot vs Clemson in 2020. Absurd speed in his back pedal. 

Football IQ - 9.5/10: Recognizes route concepts quickly and effectively, knows when to switch on a route concept. Reads the QBs eyes when in zone and makes a ludicrous break on the ball.  

Tackling - 9.5/10: Extremely effective tackler, wraps up or can bring the hit stick. Does a good job of navigating traffic to find the ball carrier. Doesn’t always make the tackle in the box but slows the ball carrier down. Breaks down at the appropriate time to make a tackle and maintain an angle on the ball carrier. 

Run Support - 9.35/10: Ridiculous click and close ability, has incredible closing speed. Has crazy recovery speed.  

Ball Skills - 9.2/10: Absurd ball skills. Reads the QBs eyes and is able to cover so much ground in a short period of time to make the PBU or INT.  

COD Skills - 9.7/10: Flawless change of direction ability, no wasted movement. Plants and breaks, no transition or stutter step needed. Shoots out of a cannon when charging downhill.  

Physicality - 5/5: Crazy physical player. Not afraid of contact whatsoever.  

Final Grade: 96.75, 1st Round, Blue Chip Talent 

I like these grades.  

• Thanks 1

“[He’s looking] good. It’s good to see him here,” Rivera said, via Bijan Todd of NBCSportsWashington.com. “We haven’t been able to go out on the field and watch these guys work yet, by rule, but just listening to what the strength and conditioning guys are telling us about him coming in and looking really good, moving around really well. We do get to watch the workout stuff that we do get to video, and when you do see him moving around, you feel pretty confident about it.”

RR talking about C. Samuel.  He is so important for this offense.  I also think that D. Brown is going to develop with Wentz throwing him the ball.  Yes, I like this offense.  

Funny, I wonder what the vibe would be if Samuel had a decent year, not all pro, not pro bowl just decent.  We would probably be thinking O line big time, just my guess.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Games Watched: Clemson (2020), Florida State (2021), Purdue (2021),

Best Game: Florida State (2021)

Worst Game: N/A

Range - 14.5/15: Absolutely stupid range given his size (listed at 6’4” 220 lbs), He can be a true centerfielder, standing alone deep downfield. Makes up for a lot of coverage deficiencies. Offenses must scheme out routes or routes to the opposite side of the field away from him. Even then, if it’s a 9-route, Hamilton still might get there.

Versatility - 10/10:  Able to be left single high and make a play on the ball, or man up against TEs in the slot. Extremely versatile player. Even see him lined up at LB from time to time. Has the COD ability to match up with slot receivers or RBs out of the backfield. 

Man Coverage - 9.5/10: Does an incredible job of staying in phase with the receiver. His man coverage ability is absurd for a safety. Unreal recovery ability when he gets out of phase on crossers.  

Zone Coverage - 9.5/10: Recognizes when to pass routes to the CB, extremely fluid movement. Unreal reaction ability. Got worked by Trevor Lawrence's eyes on one deep shot vs Clemson in 2020. Absurd speed in his back pedal. 

Football IQ - 9.5/10: Recognizes route concepts quickly and effectively, knows when to switch on a route concept. Reads the QBs eyes when in zone and makes a ludicrous break on the ball.  

Tackling - 9.5/10: Extremely effective tackler, wraps up or can bring the hit stick. Does a good job of navigating traffic to find the ball carrier. Doesn’t always make the tackle in the box but slows the ball carrier down. Breaks down at the appropriate time to make a tackle and maintain an angle on the ball carrier. 

Run Support - 9.35/10: Ridiculous click and close ability, has incredible closing speed. Has crazy recovery speed.  

Ball Skills - 9.2/10: Absurd ball skills. Reads the QBs eyes and is able to cover so much ground in a short period of time to make the PBU or INT.  

COD Skills - 9.7/10: Flawless change of direction ability, no wasted movement. Plants and breaks, no transition or stutter step needed. Shoots out of a cannon when charging downhill.  

Physicality - 5/5: Crazy physical player. Not afraid of contact whatsoever.  

Final Grade: 96.75, 1st Round, Blue Chip Talent 

I like these grades.  

I read his worst game was against Cincy:

Kyle Hamilton S Notre Dame - Draft Player Profile | The Draft Network

Worst Game Studied: Cincinnati (2021)

2 minutes ago, sebestian said:

“[He’s looking] good. It’s good to see him here,” Rivera said, via Bijan Todd of NBCSportsWashington.com. “We haven’t been able to go out on the field and watch these guys work yet, by rule, but just listening to what the strength and conditioning guys are telling us about him coming in and looking really good, moving around really well. We do get to watch the workout stuff that we do get to video, and when you do see him moving around, you feel pretty confident about it.”

RR talking about C. Samuel.  He is so important for this offense.  I also think that D. Brown is going to develop with Wentz throwing him the ball.  Yes, I like this offense.  

Funny, I wonder what the vibe would be if Samuel had a decent year, not all pro, not pro bowl just decent.  We would probably be thinking O line big time, just my guess.

He'd better produce this year or he'll be released.  

I hope a lot of input is listened to by Mayhew and Hurney from Eric Stokes, Senior Director of Player Personnel and Tim Gribble, Director of College Personnel.  Both gentlemen, might not be well known by many but have been somewhat recognized by peers and other GMs for their eye for talent.  Kudos, gentlemen.  👍

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I read his worst game was against Cincy:

Kyle Hamilton S Notre Dame - Draft Player Profile | The Draft Network

Worst Game Studied: Cincinnati (2021)

He'd better produce this year or he'll be released.  

I think he will.  The hammy is a tough injury as it lingers.  Especially for WR.  A poor mans Deebo if you will.  Maybe just wishful thinking but I like him and well reserve judgement until I can see him play.  I like are O, more then most.  I think Wentz under center unlocks Turner.  That is why I am pushing for Hamilton. I cannot remember feeling this confident about a QB in forever.  I was not a real big Cousins fan, however after watching Heinke, Cousins looked like a HOFER.

1 minute ago, sebestian said:

I think he will.  The hammy is a tough injury as it lingers.  Especially for WR.  A poor mans Deebo if you will.  Maybe just wishful thinking but I like him and well reserve judgement until I can see him play.  I like are O, more then most.  I think Wentz under center unlocks Turner.  That is why I am pushing for Hamilton. I cannot remember feeling this confident about a QB in forever.  I was not a real big Cousins fan, however after watching Heinke, Cousins looked like a HOFER.

Cousins didn't want to play for the organization and played Allen/Snyder to the "T".  Got FT maxed out and left and signed a fully guaranteed deal with the Vikings and then extended and it's fully guaranteed, I believe.  He has one of the best agents in the NFL in Mike McCartney.  He's done well but hasn't been able to get his team over the hump when it comes to the playoffs, etc..  His numbers are good and he ranks about middle of the road for starting QBs.  Not a bad journey for his NFL career at all.  

• Like 2