Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I take what Mayhew said yesterday about moving all around in the draft and the timing of this report as a sign that they may already have something worked out and aren’t necessarily dealing from desperation.

Trading a players for picks certainly let’s us be more content to sit at #11

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah it sounds like Ion wanted out though didn’t it. Settle is the disappointing one for me.

Almost feels like Rivera wants to shift the balance of investment from D to O.

Or at least balance it out anyway.

Which makes sense if he is trying to balance it. But the team has gutted the interior of our defense (we have very little depth at ILB as well, which wouldn't have been as glaring if our DL remained a strength). Literally gutted it.

The balance is almost already shifted to the offense. Which is sad because our offense needs a lot of help.

I'm not convinced this team is going to be great at this point. We'll see how it comes together, but some above are worried that there is no way we're close to the top QBs in the draft next year.

Right now our defense is thin as hell. Our offense has no umph. 

We are creating more holes.

Frustrating. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Why are you concerned?

We've spent months on this board tearing our hair out because Ron won't sign anyone that counters Scherff's Comp Pick. You seriously want to go through that again to keep Payne's Comp Pick? Hell no.

• Like 1

Just now, KDawg said:

Which makes sense if he is trying to balance it. But the team has gutted the interior of our defense (we have very little depth at ILB as well, which wouldn't have been as glaring if our DL remained a strength). Literally gutted it.

The balance is almost already shifted to the offense. Which is sad because our offense needs a lot of help.

I'm not convinced this team is going to be great at this point. We'll see how it comes together, but some above are worried that there is no way we're close to the top QBs in the draft next year.

Frustrating. 

Don’t disagree. 

FA was largely frustrating and we have limited draft picks. Wentz for me is an unexpected win at the QB spot.

Maybe they want to prioritise contracts for say Sweat and Curl. Curl actually commented early in FA about the money out there to be made. Could we be after Tyrann Mathieu. Probably not, he likely become an Eagle. Who’s knows.

However, yep it’s currently frustrating. I’m not convinced we end up better come May when the draft is over and we hit the FA scraps again. 

Big few days ahead. Just wait til we draft Ridder in the first :rofl89:

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Frustrating. 

This is really what should have been happening year 1 or 2. 

just completely short sighted 

• Like 1

We did bring in San Diego State DE Cameron Thomas for a Top 30 visit I believe. I also hard James Smith-Williams has bulked up and likely kicks inside as a rotational piece. Maybe we are planning to have the DT next to Jon Allen be someone who sits around 270-280 pounds? Hear me out.

James Smith-Williams moves to rotational DT. Team is supposedly high on David Bada. Draft someone like Cameron Thomas and bring in Star Lutuleilei

LDE: Chase Young, William Bradley-King

LDT: ROOKIE, Star Lutoleilei, David Bada

RDT: Jon Allen, James Smith-Williams

RDE: Montez Sweat, Shaka Toney, Ife Obada

Who are some post-draft signings that seem likely? Because if we trade Payne, we are going to spend that $32m we have in cap space on something, and no not all of it will go to a McLaurin extension, which presumably keeps his 4th year salary in-tact at it's discount rate.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Never said he wasn't better than Heinicke. But the question isn't Heinicke or Wentz. The question is Heinicke plus a 3rd and a 2nd and almost 30m or Wentz. And the upside/downside of Heinicke is a disastrous season that puts you in a position to draft a great QB prospect next year.

If Wentz stays healthy we win maybe 10-11 games, barely miss the playoffs or likely exit in the first round. We then pick in the late teens once again, have no additional draft capital (actually the contrary) to move up and have to make a decision whether to pay him going forward or not and once again start with no QB and no draft capital.

But yeah, everyone can have a different opinion on that.

This is my view as well. I think we manage to ruin any chance at a great QB in the next 3+ years w/that trade. Our only chance was to bottom out or trade up for Fields or Mac last year. We botched it going both directions and to make it even worse deliberately pulled ourselves out of the Willis lottery. A few years from now fans will be shaking their heads wondering how we manage to dodge every franchise QB imaginable from the ‘20-‘23 classes. Such is life as a redskins fan, praying Wentz finally becomes something neither his previous teams nor their fans see any chance in hell of happening.

Maybe it does though. You never know and to be fair were we gonna be worse than the other bottom feeders likely to want a QB? Probably not AND quite a few of them now have multiple ‘23 1sts to trade up with and we don’t. 

I think for now anyway we probably win 7-9 giving us a pick in the 10th to 19th area. No Wentz trade and it’s probably 4-6 wins and a pick in the 4-10 zone but still outside the area where the top 2 or 3 QBs go w/o a trade up. Rock and a hard place.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

This is my view as well. I think we manage to ruin any chance at a great QB in the next 3+ years w/that trade. Our only chance was to bottom out or trade up for Fields or Mac last year. We botched it going both directions and to make it even worse deliberately pulled ourselves out of the Willis lottery. A few years from now fans will be shaking their heads wondering how we manage to dodge every franchise QB imaginable from the ‘20-‘23 classes. Such is life as a redskins fan, praying Wentz finally becomes something neither his previous teams nor their fans see any chance in hell of happening.

This is exactly my thought process. We have consistently putting ourselves out of reach of Elite QB options in favor of ehh ones for the sake of preservation or misguidance of the Modern NFL. Neither is a good look for Ron. 

Im just so effing tired of the mediocrity and the no real chance of ever being great. Just bottom out once for the love of god and let us get some real hope in here that we havent had since 2012. 

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Frustrating. 

It’s not going to be great at any point. We still don’t have the QB and barring getting Willis and rolling the dice there, which we won’t, a great QB won’t be here and so in the short term, the aim is a mediocre tough team that’s a hard out, but still irrelevant as we’ve been for brief moments when we weren’t bad the past thirty years. 

Nothing interesting beyond 8-10 wins and one and done if we make the playoffs is happening in ‘22, ‘23 or ‘24. We blew it at QB and that’s a wrap on this iteration of the team barring some crazy Jim Plunkett Renaissance w/Wentz which is unlikely but possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

It’s not going to be great at any point. We still don’t have the QB and barring getting Willis and rolling the dice there, which we won’t, a great QB won’t be here and so in the short term, the aim is a mediocre tough team that’s a hard out, but still irrelevant as we’ve been for brief moments when we weren’t bad the past thirty years. 

Nothing interesting beyond 8-10 wins and one and done if we make the playoffs is happening in ‘22, ‘23 or ‘24. We blew it at QB and that’s a wrap on this iteration of the team barring some crazy Jim Plunkett Renaissance w/Wentz which is unlikely but possible.

The next guy needs to have the authority to blow everything up and make us a real bad team for 1-2 years. Its really the only chance a team has now a days. The current Set up that is probably Dan driven as well is do as well as you can in any singular year. No rebuilds ever. It leads to a lack of a coherent plan over a period of time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

While I believe Payne is big time underappreciated by our fans, if we can get some value back for him in a trade, then I'd consider it. But it does leave a pretty big hole at DT, and we'd have to burn a pick to replace him anyway.

Jordan Davis DT will be our pick, I've said it for weeks. 

Just now, The Consigliere said:

I'm not sure our team is currently a 8-10 win team.

• Thumb down 1

5 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Who else were they going to get for Qb? I know Wentz is not that great but who else could they have gotten that was better. This has to be a ten win team to be considered successful but I think you are right about one and done playoffs. 

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

It wont be 6 or less barring catastrophic injuries or Ron completely losing the team 

We'll see. I don't think it takes catastrophic injures. I think it takes a couple. But my feeling could change after the draft and FA so I'm not too worried about that as it stands in the moment. 

But we'll see how it shakes out. 

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

Who else were they going to get for Qb? I know Wentz is not that great but who else could they have gotten that was better.

No one. Just ride the year out. Its a compounded problem by Ron ignoring the position last year and possibly in 2020 (dont know if Ron was pushed to give Dwayne a shot by Dan).

Its Rons fault and now Rons action are adding up to it by swinging on another mid tier QB at best. This all could have been seen in the fall of 2020 playing out this exact way. The people following the draft heavily do so for years out. Especially at QB. The 2022 draft class was going to be bad. You had to strike in 2021 draft for a QB. Ron ignored it or was ignorant of it. 

As long as we get good value for Payne im fine with trading him on draft night for more picks. This is the draft you load up your depth with and Payne could get us the ammunition to do so. Can't pay all 4 of the DL guys. Wish we kept settle now but I will reserve judgement on the move until after the draft and post-draft FA.

Wish I spent more time on IDL prospects leading up to the draft. Here is our list of interviews/visits on the IDL guys:

Thomas Booker, Defensive Tackle, Stanford – TV

Matthew Butler, Defensive Tackle, Tennessee – EW (IM)

D.J. Davidson, Defensive Tackle, Arizona State – EW (IM)

Jordan Davis, Defensive Tackle, Georgia – NFLC (IM), TPD (IM)

Travis Jones, Defensive Tackle, Connecticut – SB (IM), NFLC (IM), TPD (IM)

Phidarian Mathis, Defensive Tackle, Alabama – SB (IM), (NFLC (IM), TPD (IM)

Otito Ogbonnia, Defensive Tackle, UCLA – SB, TPD (IM), TV

Derrick Tangelo, Defensive Tackle, Penn State – EW (IM)

Perrion Winfrey, Defensive Tackle, Oklahoma – SB (IM), TPD (IM), TV

Devonte Wyatt, Defensive Tackle, Georgia – SB (IM), NFLC (IM), TPD (IM)

Can anyone who's watched more IDL tape tell me who projects as a 1-tech? Seems like we've done our due-dilligence....

6 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

No one. Just ride the year out. Its a compounded problem by Ron ignoring the position last year and possibly in 2020 (dont know if Ron was pushed to give Dwayne a shot by Dan).

There was absolutely no chance we were rolling with Heinicke for another year. Ron would completely lose the locker room and any shred of fan interest that might be left.

28 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

We’re prioritizing Allen, Young and Sweat which makes sense as they are greater difference makers AND would fetch more in a trade anyway (not sure on Allen in terms of trade value).

I can see the case for Allen and Young, but not Sweat.  Sweat's not that good and he's older than Payne and has an injury history.  So do Allen and Chase for that matter.  And out of all four players, Payne was the one whose second contract would be the cheapest.

If anything, Payne is undervalued and he's the dependable player we could have probably kept for cheap given the market for his position.  We paid full price for Allen and we're going to have to do the same with Chase and Montez.

I'd rather deal Sweat and go fishing for a better end than pay him while letting Daron walk and having to spend another early pick on an IDL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2