Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

6 hours ago, sebestian said:

That is for sure.  I think his record is 59-59-1 as a starter and he has made over 230M.  His agent is better then Bob Sugar, LOL

I was curious and wanted to ask the membership a question.  

What are your draft day plans.  Do you like too watch alone, or go out, etc.  

Me..the draft I prefer to watch alone.  I do not like my friends jabbing me about the commanders.  It all fun though.  If I go with a couple of guys that take it seriously and bring our lists and mocks we usually have a the guy with the least amount of picks right pays for the tap.

Usually do not drink, just want to concentrate on the draft from two perspectives, Commanders and fantasy wise.

What do you prefer to do and what are you guys doing for the draft.

I don't drink anymore.  I was delivered from that.  About 3 months out for the last 30 years I start gathering info about the CFB players and the draft.  I'm a draft geek.  LOL.  I love the anticipation and when it's over there is still the thrill of the UDFAs we sign.  Following the players and watching their development is what it's about.  Hoping that the players achieve success, for themselves and their families and bring it to the field and the fans.  That's about it.  😀

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

I turn on my tv.

First round I will watch it... for about 10-12 picks.

Beyond that it's background noise. I listen for the chime, look up, come post on ES and go about doing something else. 

You never know if we move back up into the 1st round like we did for Sweat.  I understand though.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I don't drink anymore.  I was delivered from that.  About 3 months out for the last 30 years I start gathering info about the CFB players and the draft.  I'm a draft geek.  LOL.  I love the anticipation and when it's over there is still the thrill of the UDFAs we sign.  Following the players and watching their development is what it's about.  Hoping that the players achieve success, for themselves and their families and bring it to the field and the fans.  That's about it.  😀

You never know if we move back up into the 1st round like we did for Sweat.  I understand though.  

It's on. And I'm half watching. So I'd know.

Also, I hope on everything that we don't do anything that stupid. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As Al Pacino said in the movie, "Scent of a Woman" something close to it.  "I'm one very happy man!"  😀

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It's on. And I'm half watching. So I'd know.

Also, I hope on everything that we don't do anything that stupid. 

I posted yesterday that we have two very capable men, I think in Stokes and Gribble that I hope Mayhew and Hurney listen to because both know talent and I think are great at what they do.  JMO.  :)  

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

As Al Pacino said in the movie, "Scent of a Woman" something close to it.  "I'm one very happy man!"  😀

I posted yesterday that we have two very capable men, I think in Stokes and Gribble that I hope Mayhew and Hurney listen to because both know talent and I think are great at what they do.  JMO.  :)  

We can't afford to give up 2023 capital to move up in this draft. We need ammo in case we need a QB. Any move up the board in this draft is short sighted, imo. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

This is a fun watch. 

The more I watch of Watson, the more I like about him and believe he's the real deal.  Hope we have an opportunity to draft him. He wasn't on our visit list but that really doesn't matter as plenty of players have been drafted that haven't been on our visit or workout list.  Still learning about RR and Co. and how they work but it's proven true with them too but in the later rounds.  We shall see. 

22 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

One line from Martin Mayhew that seemed to slip out:

"There's gonna be tons of starters all the way through 3rd, 4th, 5th round... We have 6 picks now,  and I doubt we finish the draft with those 6 picks, there's gonna be some movement....

I hope they finish the draft with ZERO picks!  I'm a huge proponent of using all your picks in the draft. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Knowing we can’t keep all 4 guys on our line I thought Sweat was the odd man out but looks like Payne could be the one instead. I like him a lot but I can see why the team will let him go. Allen has definitely improved much more than he has so I question his work ethic. Team chemistry might be an issue based on the Allen Payne blowup last year. 

Payne is replaceable. I said earlier that we just need a big bodied tackle, one who can clog the middle. We should have enough pass rushers so the one technique is gonna come off the field on passing downs. Yes depth is an issue but remember post draft free agency is still a possibility. 

I don’t believe this potential news is gonna mean we are drafting Jordan Davis! We still need young skilled players. 

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Sweat if definitely favoured over Payne imo. 

I go back and forth on it but I'd lean Sweat, too.

I think some overestimate the value of what we can get for our players going way back to Cooley where I recall after taking Fred Davis some thought we'd get a first round back for Cooley in a trade.   Keim among others have talked about it which teams are very stingy with giving up draft picks with the exception of QBs and star players.   Years ago they were less stingy but now many of them have gotten stingy unless they are desperate.  And tough for me to envision a team desperate for Payne. 

I am not worried that they haven't or won't shop Payne.  I think they either already have or will do so.  Like I said earlier today here, Keim talked about this LAST off season as for not per se keeping all four D lineman and they noticed the SF model of moving Buckner because they didn't want to pay for 4 D lineman.  I mentioned this at the time, and I got some intense push back on that thought from some on the board.  To each their own on that, but its at a minimum a debatable point, cap guys have brought this up on different radio programs saying it would be a smart thing for them to do as far as not paying 4 guys.   So at a minimum IMO its not a no brainer to suck it up and pay big money for all 4. Though I do understand the argument to do it. 

The problem with Payne trade value wise IMO might be that he's no Buckner in terms of pass rush stats.  Buckner was traded after averaging 10 sacks a season for two years in a row.  If we tried to trade Jonathan Allen on the same token, we'd probably get more than we would versus Payne for the same reason.    Payne is sort of the chic player among our fans where he's considered by some as this killer player but his stats (and I understand why), accolades, rankings, award and even analytics don't put him as a special player -- whether that's fair or unfair is irrelevant. 

I think they will get interest for Payne but I think some might be dissapointed on what they get back.  And again, I'd love to be wrong.  Nothing would make me happier to get ragged on for thinking they'd get at the most a 3rd round pick for Payne and instead they get a first back.  I'd so more than enjoy eating crow on that.  :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I would hate to lose Payne but I’d hate it even more if we lost him for nothing but a third. Honestly this coming out now seems like a pre cursor to an actual trade going down. I think the one mistake we made was not resigning Settle, everything else I’m cool with. But if the idea was to move Payne, bring back settle to fill his place and collect the picks for Payne without leaving a  hole behind him. I think a second and 5th is doable. Move down from one of the seconds for a third plus a couple picks and all of a sudden you have 10+. 

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd be surprised if they could get more than a 3rd rounder for Payne, if he was early playing on his rookie contract maybe a 2nd.  He's been a good player but he's really never mentioned as one of the top tackles in the league, he hasn't sniffed a pro bowl.  I agree with some he's underrated but I don't think he's a blow the doors off type of player where teams would give up a ton to get. 

I think, I think SIP that we could get a 2nd for him at best.  

If we want to trade down from 11, perhaps the best scenario is for the three OTs go in the top 10 and we get NO and LAC to bid against each other.  We’d have a good shot at Olave or Lloyd at 16/17.  The consensus appears to be a sizable drop of OT after Penning.

Walker

Hutchison

Stngley

Hamilton

Ikwanu

cross

thibideaux

wilson

gardner

london.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I go back and forth on it but I'd lean Sweat, too.

Small signs for me. Couple of things from last season, Sweat was definitely well supported through his difficult time. Payne was fighting with the clear locker room leader in Allen.

One of the first social media pictures this offseason was Sweat, Young and Allen back at training.

As I said before, I don’t like losing talented players. Payne is certainly that. It’s the subsequent rosters moves that give the complete picture as to whether we are getting it right or not.

I’m by no means confident right now, I’ve been critical of FA. We don’t have enough picks either. 

Let’s see what we have got the next few days. 

30 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think, I think SIP that we could get a 2nd for him at best.  

I'd be shocked if they got a 2nd rounder.  I'd bet a 4th but maybe a third.  I hope i am wrong though.

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

Man what a player Debuckner was. 

lol, I meant a season.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise