Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Just now, Zim489 said:

No one. Just ride the year out. Its a compounded problem by Ron ignoring the position last year and possibly in 2020 (dont know if Ron was pushed to give Dwayne a shot by Dan).

Its Rons fault and now Rons action are adding up to it by swinging on another mid tier QB at best. This all could have been seen in the fall of 2020 playing out this exact way. The people following the draft heavily do so for years out. Especially at QB. The 2022 draft class was going to be bad. You had to strike in 2021 draft for a QB. Ron ignored it or was ignorant of it. 

They had to do something. If you think no one goes to the games now if they did nothing it would be alot worse.  

Ron got stuck with Dwayne I have to beleave that. I hear what you are saying but they had make move of some kind. This is the best move they could make.

An LOL'er mock draft for you. Might as well blow it up and get some serious talent across the board. 

Traded Da'Ron Payne to Green Bay for 59 and 132.

Traded #11 to New England for #21, #54, 2023 3rd

Traded #21 to Green Bay #22 and #140

Traded #47 to Denver for #64 and #96

Traded #53 to Jacksonville for #65 and #106

Traded #54 and #140 to Detroit for #66 and #82

Picks:

1 - 22

2 - 64

3 - 65, 66, 90, 96

4 - 113, 131, 132

6 - 189

22. Chris Olave, WR Ohio State

64. Christian Harris, LB Alabama

65. Jalen Pitre, S Baylor

66. Cameron Thomas, DE San Diego State

90. Zachary Carter, DT Florida

96. Mario Goodrich, CB Clemson

106. Rasheed Walker, OT Penn State

131. Charlie Kolar, TE Iowa State

132. Haskell Garret, DT Ohio State

189. Tyrion Davis-Price, RB LSU

Hit every single hole. You get your WR2. You get LB and Safety starters. You get a developmental OT, TE and RB. And you totally re-infuse the DL with depth by adding two DTs to battle it out along with a DE to immediately add to the DE rotation.

Total overkill? Could I have done with fewer trade-backs in the 2nd? Sure. But I just wanted to see what would happen if I accepted all the trade backs to add 3rd and 4th rounders, and I love the outcome.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There was absolutely no chance we were rolling with Heinicke for another year. Ron would completely lose the locker room and any shred of fan interest that might be left.

I get why he had to do it. But now hes fixing a problem he created with another problem

Just now, Zim489 said:

I get why he had to do it. But now hes fixing a problem he created with another problem

It's not a problem yet but it could. Ron made a big bet on Wentz I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now. There a good chance you are right but I will give ron the first 10 weeks this season. 

Looks like Phidarian Mathis could be had in the 3rd round and could be a competent replacement for Payne at 1-tech. 

If we fetch a late 1st or 2nd rounder for Payne plus some change, draft Mathis in the 3rd and a late rounder/UDFA at DT as well, I'd be happy with that exchange.

Mathis was a team captain at Bama and is scheme-versatile. 2nd team All American. He fits.

Can push the pocket on early downs and rotate out for one of our pass rushing DE/DT hybrids on 3rd down. I like the fit.

OVERALL

Phidarian Mathis is the high-floor defensive lineman to target in this class. A four-year contributor at Alabama, Mathis has a thick build with surprisingly nimble feet, which allowed him to play anywhere from 0-technique to 5-technique in the Tide's scheme.

Mathis' game is defined by his awareness and ability to read plays instantly, as well as how to handle different blocking schemes. He can sit and anchor against double-teams just as well as he can move with the flow of the play in zone and play with his eyes in the backfield. His eyes, length and violence in shedding blocks also allow him to cross-face and play a secondary gap

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

The next guy needs to have the authority to blow everything up and make us a real bad team for 1-2 years. Its really the only chance a team has now a days. The current Set up that is probably Dan driven as well is do as well as you can in any singular year. No rebuilds ever. It leads to a lack of a coherent plan over a period of time.

It’s interesting to think about. How many teams have won in spite of incompetent destructive owners. It’s happened. Just not so often. 

I’m just observing from enemy territory (Raiders and 49ers land), we aren’t relevant and won’t be, but it’s an interesting watch to see how mistakes and bad luck and bad by design can combine to lead you to a place like here.

• Like 1

I'm not a big Payne fan.   I have no problem not extending him, but don't just let him walk.    One of our biggest problems over the years has been asset management.

I highly doubt we can get a 1st rd pick for him.   Maybe a late 2nd or a 3rd and 5th.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I'm not a big Payne fan.   I have no problem not extending him, but don't just let him walk.    One of our biggest problems over the years has been asset management.

I highly doubt we can get a 1st rd pick for him.   Maybe a late 2nd or a 3rd and 5th.

3rd and 5 round picks sound right just the picks we are missing. I hope they have a plan other then just getting those picks.

Edited by Redskins 2021

21 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Hamilton could be another Landon Collins. Is that what we want at #11? He could be better but it just seems like a huge risk given the value of the position.

Do I want a guy playing at an All-Pro level at the buffalo nickel position when the team was giving up 18 pts per game and under 300 yards per game at 11? If thats what youre saying then yes sign me up for that all day every day and twice on sundays.

Honestly Payne is a luxury that most teams don't have and still have elite defenses. 3 tech is the more important DT, and next to Allen you really only need a competent body at 1-tech. Hell, in pass rushing downs, Payne is the one coming off the field anyway. They probably don't see 1-tech as a position worth large money.

I'd be fine with a 2nd or even better, two 3rd rounders for Payne.

Draft a mid round 1-tech plus sign a guy like Star L in FA. Problem solved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, Forever A Redskin said:

Honestly Payne is a luxury that most teams don't have and still have elite defenses. 3 tech is the more important DT, and next to Allen you really only need a competent body at 1-tech. Hell, in pass rushing downs, Payne is the one coming off the field anyway. They probably don't see 1-tech as a position worth large money.

This sounds reasonable to me. 

Just now, Forever A Redskin said:

Payne isn't worth the money as a 1-tech (though he also plays a little 3-tech from time to time). But still, not worth it.

problem is... we let all of our depth walk out the door.

Star L is going to be massively disappointing. He's not well liked in Buffalo. He has the "lazy" label.

• Like 2

Just now, KDawg said:

Payne isn't worth the money as a 1-tech (though he also plays a little 3-tech from time to time). But still, not worth it.

Star L is going to be massively disappointing. He's not well liked in Buffalo. He has the "lazy" label.

I'd bet someone shakes free in post-draft cuts that we sign. If not, still don't care. Bring in 3 or 4 UDFAs and let them Duke it out for the spot. UDFA pool will be better this year than most.

3rd or 4th round would be the highest I'd draft a replacement 1-tech.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I'd bet someone shakes free in post-draft cuts that we sign. If not, still don't care. Bring in 3 or 4 UDFAs and let them Duke it out for the spot. UDFA pool will be better this year than most.

3rd or 4th round would be the highest I'd draft a replacement 1-tech.

I agree with all of this. I don't have confidence we do any of it.

But we'll see.

I think, given the right moves, this team can be in contention for the division title.

Given the wrong ones and we're a 5-12, 6-11 type team. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Did he always have that label in Buffalo? Or did it begin when he sat out the COVID season.  It looks like he was pretty impactful in 2019 from the stat sheet.

Just now, KDawg said:

But we'll see.

I think, given the right moves, this team can be in contention for the division title.

I agree, it's a lot of "IFs". With some savvy moves like trading Payne for a 2nd/3rd plus a trade down from 11 to the 20s and loading our draft with mid round picks we could be a serious contender.

My trust in them to do it is questionable at best.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

Did he always have that label in Buffalo? Or did it begin when he sat out the COVID season.  It looks like he was pretty impactful in 2019 from the stat sheet.

Started off alright, but they started to talk about it at the end of 19. 20/21 it picked up momentum.

Can that change here? Sure. He's a Panther... so maybe he plays harder for Rivera?

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But we'll see.

Sounds like you’re starting to be very out on Ron

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Calais Campbell was 34 years old when traded.  Grady Jarrett is 29 and the Falcons are shopping him and they're going to get at least a third round pick from him, hoping for a second.  If we trade Payne, it we need to get a second back or multiple thirds or else we're getting screwed.  He's got 29 career AV headed into his age 25 season.  That is way better than anyone still left on the team and Chase is the only one on track to match that pace of production.

Payne has more career AV than Vita Vea and he's two years younger.  What do you think the Bucs could get in return for trading Vea this offseason?

Payne is underrated but he is, without question, one of the best and most valuable players on our roster.  It would be an awful mistake to either sell him low or worse, let him walk for nothing.

Stuff like this is why I question whether Ron has made the roster worse since he took over.  We didn't have many good players before he took over, but the few we did have all seem to be walking away for a pathetic return.

I recall you thinking we got screwed by getting a 5th for Dunbar, an undrafted player, who now i believe is out of football.  So I would think you'd think in that context Payne can bring back some big trade value back, I think you are wrong but I hope you are right.   

Grady Jarrett is a multiple year pro bowler and all pro tackle.    Payne hasn't sniffed either honor.  I know some here feel that Payne is a defacto all pro and the national media and fellow players who vote on the pro bowl or top 100 players in the league or whatever just misses how special Payne is -- again I hope those people are right.  But I am not counting on it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Sounds like you’re starting to be very out on Ron

Not yet. The offseason isn't over yet and sometimes you can't see a plan from the outside... so I will definitely let it play out at least half through the season. But I don't think he's untouchable at this point.

Still, my concern is if Ron is done after this year... who is going to want to take this job? I think the grass is burnt on the other side and Rivera is our best option at this juncture.