Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Williams looks pretty good here

I'm struggling with him.  I'm not blase about the injury issue with him because Bryce Love is recent proof that ACL tears late in your draft season are not something to shrug off.  I see the appeal of a TD scoring machine with truly dynamic speed.  I get why people are excited watching him, and TBH, he's pretty much the only truly exciting WR in the class other than maybe Watson.

But there are just too many red flags with him for my comfort level early in the first round.  And it's not just about his injury.  Watching McCreary body him so easily demonstrated that he's got no play-strength.  And he is skinny as a pole, with very slender legs.  I don't think he's ever going to be that strong.  And I got a vibe of childish arrogance from watching him that put me off.  It's kind of glaring in his body language.  Someone posted something about there being some maturity concerns with him and that tracks with my gut feeling, which is he comes off like a kid, and one that has had people telling him how great he is for a long time.

He's special, but so are a lot of other guys in this class and in the sport as a whole.  I'd rather draft a kid like Drake London who is more serious and mature and intense.  Probably still would even if Williams was healthy.

• Like 5
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I'm struggling with him.  I'm not blase about the injury issue with him because Bryce Love is recent proof that ACL tears late in your draft season are not something to shrug off.  I see the appeal of a TD scoring machine with truly dynamic speed.  I get why people are excited watching him, and TBH, he's pretty much the only truly exciting WR in the class other than maybe Watson.

But there are just too many red flags with him for my comfort level early in the first round.  And it's not just about his injury.  Watching McCreary body him so easily demonstrated that he's got no play-strength.  And he is skinny as a pole, with very slender legs.  I don't think he's ever going to be that strong.  And I got a vibe of childish arrogance from watching him that put me off.  It's kind of glaring in his body language.  Someone posted something about there being some maturity concerns with him and that tracks with my gut feeling, which is he comes off like a kid, and one that has had people telling him how great he is for a long time.

He's special, but so are a lot of other guys in this class and in the sport as a whole.  I'd rather draft a kid like Drake London who is more serious and mature and intense.  Probably still would even if Williams was healthy.

I'm hoping the late interest in Williams is just a smoke screen hoping that other teams think we will take him at 11 and trade up with us.

• Like 1

Olave is still the only WR I'd draft at 11 and I know it's a "meh" pick. Especially with 3 other upside WRs above him.

Maybe Dotson is my WR2, but I'm just not excited about any of them and I'd rather just get the highest floor, so we don't blow another draft.

But you don't take a WR2 at 11.

I really hop we can trade back and a good amount.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I'm hoping the late interest in Williams is just a smoke screen hoping that other teams think we will take him at 11 and trade up with us.

Hoping so too.  Maybe Houston, NE, Tennessee come calling.  We wouldn't get much in the way of compensation from the Texans but a 3rd rounder wouldn't be bad.   NE and Tennessee could yield us a couple more picks and better ones. If we traded with Houston at #13 we may still have a shot at London and definitely Olave.  

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe Dotson is my WR2

I'm not sure I'm ready for a world where we use a top pick on a WR with this last name. I'm getting PTSD again. 😆

(yes I know it's spelled slightly different from our previous bust)

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ExoDus84 said:

I'm not sure I'm ready for a world where we use a top pick on a guy with this last name. I'm getting PTSD again. 😆

(yes I know it's spelled slightly different from our previous bust)

Rest easy that WRs last name was spelled Doctson.  LOL.  👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Not sure how much stock you guys put into Wonderlic scores, but it looks like Matt Corral can barely spell his name.

On the other hand it must suck to have the ability to process everything, but not enough athletic ability to take advantage

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Players I’d take at 11: London, Williams, Wilson

Players that I don’t think we should take but worth the pick: Lloyd, Davis, Hamilton

Players being mentioned at 11 that we should not take, by any means: Olave

Receiver I’d target in a trade down: Dotson, Watson, Olave in that order. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Lovi said:

On the other hand it must suck to have the ability to process everything, but not enough athletic ability to take advantage

Story of my life, man. I have the brains of a stone-cold football genius, but I'm 5'7 and run a seven second 40.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Acworth skins fan said:

He was the king of the push off.  

Just opened the last page of the thread and didn’t read any of the conversation leading up to this post. We better be talking about Michael Irvin though. He was push offiest push offer that ever pushed off.

edit: You were. Very good then. Carry on.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

41 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Sounds like there are a handful of the top dozen prospects we will happily take at #11, thereafter it’s trade back. 

The Mayhew comment that the middle of the draft starts pretty quickly suggests what many have said. Probably by time you get to the late first round you have a drop off to a middle section of talent that lasts about 5 rounds. :ols:

You either get one of your elite 5 or so prospects or you get down the draft board quickly. Most elite players we could use though, feels like the best bet is to get a bite from a team after a QB. 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2022 at 9:53 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

I know it become mostly an uncool position to have but lol sorry upon rewatching the WRs some I am back on the Watson train.  i was on it for awhile around the combine time but then lost some interest as I watched other receivers.  But now that I go back, he will end up in my top 5. 

I get the knock, 10% drop rate (by the way its not miles higher than other prospects we love here, Wilson for example has an 8% drop rate) and hey people are overevaluating him because he rans fast in shorts, etc.  For me I am over that.

He has almost 25 YPC.  One of the highest YAC rates among these receivers.   He's 6 '4 and has a vertical just short of 39, that's sick. A perfect RAS.  These guys arent a dime a dozen. 

He's certainly raw, not the smooth route runner that Olave is for example, a bit clunky in some of his cuts/stems. But he's certainly not like Anthony Schwartz level raw.   Watching him on handoffs out of the backfield, he takes off like hell on wheels -- watching him just run by dudes on go routes-corner routes -- he's doing it all at a different speed and like Jameson Williams he hits that 2nd gear so fast.   He's a decent run blocker.  He is super smart dude -- highest Wonderlic score among these WRs and by a good margin so i gather he can learn an NFL offense well. 

Dudes that shine at the Senior Bowl and come off better than expected, often later on show that meant something.  Terry was one of those dudes.  Some argued with me at the time Terry is just fast but otherwise what does he have cooking?   Watson like Terry has some good intangibles.  Watching him on GMF last week he actually reminded me some of Terry, came off real smart and articulate. 

I'll take my chances and throw my dice on Watson and I'll take some wrath here for doing it.  :ols:

Damn, to make up for that, now I expect an essay in response to my sell of Christian Watson. 😀

Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like Mims was a big winner in '20, was it Deebo that was a winner in '19 along with McLaurin? I can't remember. My memory of '20 was that Mims basically dominated and Gandy Golden stunk, and now both of them have been awful in the pros. You never really know with some of this. 

Also seems that drafting a QB is high probability judging from the coaches comments at the presser today.

My money is on Carson Strong if he slides to the 4th, or Jack Coan 6th/7th. Otherwise, we pluck from UDFA.

Side note, if we traded a future 5th last year for more picks, I hope to God we realize this draft is worth doing that for again. I'd trade our future 4th and 5th rounders for an additional 3rd rounder this year.

Edited by Forever A Redskin