Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

5 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Why do you think we were so conservative in FA, preserving the comp pick for scherff? Because off-setting the loss of picks in the Wentz trade is important to the FO.

Having a full assortment of draft picks is important to any successfully built team.

When the talent options at 11 have major flaws, you trade back. Unless it's a home-run can't-miss prospect, you trade back. Because multiple bites at the apple improve your odds at hitting on a player. That's why you want a 3rd rounder back. 70% of the top 20 WRs were taken in the 2nd round or later. I guess those guys aren't valuable because you think we still draft like Cerrato and Allen? I'm sure a higher percentage of RBs we're taken after the 1st.

There isn't a Jamarr Chase this year. There isn't a lockdown corner (that will be at 11), there isn't a Jon Allen. We're not taking a LB at 11, don't care how good you think Lloyd is.

Multiple anonymous GMs have said the top of the draft is weak but it's strong in day 2/3 guys. So if we're smart, you maneuver to the strength of the draft and give yourself more chances to hit on guys to improve your team. It's simple.

Luckily by all accounts trading back seems to be Plan-A unless a crazy drop happens from someone like Sauce or Walker. 

If you don't think mid round picks are important, then why not advocate trading our remaining picks to move up in the draft this year?

Post of the Day that explains it all, at least to to me.  Bravo, FAR!  

• Thumb up 1

55 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think you’re totally over selling this point. Most people would welcome a trade back for additional 2nd/3rd round picks. Even just one. We sacrifice little from #11 for that extra gain day 2. It’s very debatable that we get a superstar at #11. We may I guess. I’m open to staying there. But I think on balance we should move back.

Fixing our offense doesn’t really ‘fix’ the holes on the defensive side either IMO.

Lots of variables. Several months ago I said we should draft WR,RB,QB,TE with our first four picks. I thought we’d sort the D out in FA prior to that. We didn’t.

Hell, maybe we draft all O then bring the Honey Badger in post draft. That would do.

Maybe we shouldn’t look exclusively at the draft as the answer. The subsequent moves will then be a factor in how we’ve addressed the roster issues.

Right now we are well behind the curve for me.

I’d say the “we need picks” crowd is overselling it. To each their own. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Why do you think we were so conservative in FA, preserving the comp pick for scherff? Because off-setting the loss of picks in the Wentz trade is important to the FO.

Having a full assortment of draft picks is important to any successfully built team.

When the talent options at 11 have major flaws, you trade back. Unless it's a home-run can't-miss prospect, you trade back. Because multiple bites at the apple improve your odds at hitting on a player. That's why you want a 3rd rounder back. 70% of the top 20 WRs were taken in the 2nd round or later. I guess those guys aren't valuable because you think we still draft like Cerrato and Allen? I'm sure a higher percentage of RBs we're taken after the 1st.

There isn't a Jamarr Chase this year. There isn't a lockdown corner (that will be at 11), there isn't a Jon Allen. We're not taking a LB at 11, don't care how good you think Lloyd is.

Multiple anonymous GMs have said the top of the draft is weak but it's strong in day 2/3 guys. So if we're smart, you maneuver to the strength of the draft and give yourself more chances to hit on guys to improve your team. It's simple.

Luckily by all accounts trading back seems to be Plan-A unless a crazy drop happens from someone like Sauce or Walker. 

If you don't think mid round picks are important, then why not advocate trading our remaining picks to move up in the draft this year?

I didn't say they were useless or anything. But the reality is that most mid round picks don't do much. For every Terry McLaurin there are probably 30 guys who do zip.

That doesn't mean you don't use them, but going crazy trying to get back a 3rd rounder seems like an overreaction. We used our 3rd round pick this year on a starting QB. If a 3rd round pick got you a quality starting QB you would consider that a massive success, but when it's traded for a starting QB instead, people lose sleep over it.

I'm not saying don't trade back. I'm saying only do it if the value is there and you don't have anyone on your board who you want at 11. But if someone is there at 11 that you have rated highly and think will be a difference maker, then you take him and don't try to get cute. Trading back just for the sake of trading back or because you're panicking after giving up a 3rd for a player is how we wound up with Kerrigan and Murphy instead of Watt and Lawrence. 

A difference maker in the 1st round is worth more than a decent guy in the 1st and a mid round pick who will be unlikely to do much. Starting from the assumption that a 3rd rounder will be a Terry or whoever else is a completely flawed argument.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m not sure it’s panic, but I don’t know, maybe it is for some.  So maybe I’m not one that should be responding to you, lol.  I do think it’s fair to factor the points below and think adding 1 or 2 more mid-round picks could help.

We have a fair number of needs.

There’s been a lot of talk about the talent in rds 2-5.

Post-draft FA might land us some guys that start/contribute, but it’s hard to count on too much there.

While we filled our biggest need (qb), we 1) haven’t improved in other spots, and 2) we’ve lost some key players (Scherff, Io, Flowers, Collins, Settle).

We’ve had some success in the 3rd recently - Gibson, Terry, Fuller and St Juste/Dyami Brown (maybe you were just going for hyperbole with that “90%” comment?).

Given the crapshoot nature of the draft, having more picks is generally preferable (I’m not missing out on a guy I think is a stud though just for the sake of more picks).

For me though, the only trade down I’m definitely a fan of is if the team has several prospects they really like and they pull off a trade with Houston or Baltimore.  I think it’s a relatively realistic possibility given how many picks those teams have.  I don’t view/buy trading down as something ‘we simply must do’ though, just to be clear.

I get that we have needs, and I keep hearing this. "We have holes!"

Can you find me a single NFL roster that doesn't have holes? We're not some weird outlier as a team that has holes they'd like to fill. Every single team does.

But the idea of being able to fill every single hole in your roster in 1 draft is simply not very plausible.

Sure, more picks would be great. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it if we can't trade back. Again, my position is simple. If there's a guy there you have rated as worth that 11th pick, then take him and don't try to be clever. If there isn't, then see if you can trade back.

• Thumb up 3

Every year, without exception, everybody wants to trade down and stockpile 2nd and 3rd round picks hoping to draft/steal any of the 300 players with 1st round grades.

I don’t even know why the NFL has 7 rounds. Every team should just get 6 2nd round picks each.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Completely agree. He isn't falling to #11, just think it's telling that we brought him for a Top 30 visit. We must be doing our due-diligence in case he falls. Even if it's just to smokescreen other teams into thinking we take him, so they trade up?

This is pure (read: wild, likely irresponsible) speculation on my part, but T. Walker is a guy who played on a defense with about 6 other guys who might be on our radar at positions of need on Thursday and Friday — between Dean, Davis, Cine, Q. Walker, Tyndall, Wyatt. 

Is it possible/plausible that they would view a guy like T. Walker as an excellent source of insight into these other guys who might be on our board? He’s got very little at stake in an interview with us, at this point, because he’s going to be gone well before our pick — so is there some potential to glean candid observations about his old teammates from a private interview like that? Certainly would be very helpful to have some ground-level data on these guys and their football character, etc. Perhaps that would be worth utilizing one of their 30 visits, given the basically unprecedented number of potential targets he suited up next to for years. 

• Thumb up 2

The conversation from earlier this week about whether or not London is slow and why he didn’t run the 40 yard dash has me wondering why the 40 yard dash is still such an “important” pre-draft evaluation tool, and why it’s done in undies.  Don’t you think it would provide way better information for talent evaluations if it was done in a way that simulates an actual football action. Some suggestions:

1. All players run in full pads and game uniforms. 
2. Players start in the position that is natural to the position they play. For example, WR’s start with 1 foot forward, standing upright with hands on 1 knee. LB’s start standing upright with hands on both knees, etc. 

3. Linemen start with a hand in the dirt and only run a 30 yard dash. 

4. All sprints start with the snap of a football to account for reaction time, which is realistic to a game scenario. 
5. Players top speeds can be measured and announced to determine speed vs. quickness. 

It takes weeks (or longer) of preparation to dial in a 40 yard dash and it’s never used on a football field. I just can’t figure out how a discipline, that is taken entirely from another sport, so heavily changes the way these players are evaluated and perceived.

• Like 1

Just turned on Asamoah again because I had fun watching him before… that dude is an aggressive destroyer of worlds and a lot of fun to watch. If his coverage ability translates he’s literally perfect for that hybrid spot. And he can play linebacker. He struggles more inside though, because navigating traffic isn’t his strong point. But out on the perimeter he fits real well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

We won't get the much for our #11.  We'd get both of their 1st and like pick #103 I think which is a low end 3rd.  

Yes I know you wouldn’t get that much just for 11 that’s why I included the swap of 2nd round picks. So KC would be getting 11 and 47 from us 

8 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Now I really like the sound of that.

I just figured a double trade down is statistically less probable than one big one like trading 11 for one of the teams with double dip picks like KC, GB or Detroit.

I'd be ecstatic with your trade scenario though. When's the last time a double trade down has happened? Does anyone know?

It sure feels to me that the Seahawks do that every year.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Just turned on Asamoah again because I had fun watching him before… that dude is an aggressive destroyer of worlds and a lot of fun to watch. If his coverage ability translates he’s literally perfect for that hybrid spot. And he can play linebacker. He struggles more inside though, because navigating traffic isn’t his strong point. But out on the perimeter he fits real well.

Love that dude. Don't even consider him for LB, plug him in at Buffalo and let him eat.

3 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Sorry total cap hit for all players is about 8m but our 1st round pick  number 11 is a 3.75m cap hit. 

Yes cap hit not cost. For comparisons sake Justin fields cap hit last year was 3.5 million but overall cash paid out to fields last year was 11.75 million. 

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don't believe a single report about draft strategy that comes out from now until after the draft.

If I was Washington and I WAS targeting a receiver I'd tell people I wasn't. And then I'd say we're taking Hamilton no matter what... to force a team ahead of us to possibly trade up for Hamilton and keep receivers on the board. Or, maybe, I'd leak that and it would actually be my strategy but then people would think that the former was my strategy.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've sort of helped lead the band on the idea that Kyle Hamilton isn't IMO the best player in this draft ala what I'd say about a 1/3 give or take mock drafters believe or that he's some generational safety.

I don't think he's a slam dunk top 10 pick.  And he's not even my top desire at 11.  He's after Drake London, Garrett Wilson, Devin Lloyd for me in the range of our pick.

Yet I don't think at all he'd be a reach at 11.  He's a really good player.  He's fast enough.  He has the instincts and length to make up for any speed deficit.  And his athleticism was great aside from the 40 as for combine testing. 

Just because he's not a single high safety doesn't matter IMO.  The NFL is mostly now split coverage which he excels at. 

I think he's almost the perfect player after Lloyd to take this defense up a notch.

I've mentioned before among other things we don't have that brainiac on the back end of this defense ala Ed Reed was for the Ravens.  Or even lesser players like Ryan Clark.  Hamilton brings some freakish length-size-instincts-verstaility and smarts to a unit that arguably desperately needs just that. 

so while he's not my top want at 11, I'd be jazzed if that's what they do. 

I'm a Notre Dame fan, and I love Hamilton. But this just isn't true. Cine's last twenty yard time was about 1.85. Hamilton's was about 1.99. Roughly. 

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Great tackler/hitter and would be the future QB of the defense....ultra high football IQ