Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

24 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Interesting that 5 of our last 6 first round draft picks have been on defense...that being the case our defense you would think will be dynamic next year and beyond. I hope we add the ND safety, Kyle Hamilton or the Georgia LB, Nakobe Dean in round 1. 

In free agency go get a big WR like Allen Robinson or Mike Williams to pair with Terry Mac and Logan Thomas. Sign a RB like Raheem Mostert or Rashad Penny in free agency to pair with Gibson and McKissic. 

Mitch Trubisky runs out of the tunnel to lead your 2022 Washington Warthogs into their new era.....what a script.

Got to get Bobby Wagner that will improve defense big time.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rogue Jedi said:

My personal list would be :

1. Corral

2. Willis

3. Pickett

4. Howell

In that order. We could have a chance that any one of them will be there at our pick. All of them are better options than what we have currently on our roster.

How would you feel about grabbing whichever of these guys is left in round 2 or trading into the late 1st round to grab a QB with our 2nd pick? I'm guessing you'd be fine with grabbing Howell in round 2 after we draft a higher rated player with our first pick.

• Like 1

Same as mine but I swap Howell and Pickett rn.  Senior bowl and combine will be very telling.  One of these 4 will be our future.  Really love coral…really like Willis.  Pickets hands may be a problem.  Sam Howell just projects well to me…don’t ask me why…he just does

• Like 1

Senior Bowl will prove a lot. That’s the litmus test. You get people outside of these colleges looking at and evaluating these guys. You get a ton of info you wouldn’t without them being at the game.

Pickett isn’t on my radar at all right now until we can figure out if he can even throw the NFL ball with the necessary velocity, which I and others have been saying for months.

1. Howell

1b. Corral

3. Willis

Willis paired with a Trubisky definitely intrigues me. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Senior Bowl will prove a lot. That’s the litmus test. You get people outside of these colleges looking at and evaluating these guys. You get a ton of info you wouldn’t without them being at the game.

Pickett isn’t on my radar at all right now until we can figure out if he can even throw the NFL ball with the necessary velocity, which I and others have been saying for months.

1. Howell

1b. Corral

3. Willis

Willis!

I imagine there has to be either some confidence  or desire not to the Willis route due to the time with Newton. A fair amount of similarities between the two. I like that Willis has a hybrid RB/WR build, like a Percy Harvin body type. 

Trubisky or Mariota is cool with me. 

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Good stuff. It remains to be seen how many of the 2021 draft class actually pan out. Who knows, it might be best that we did sit it out and wait? As of today the 2021 class isn't looking like a bunch of franchise QB's but that's almost unfair to say right now. 

It doesn't matter though.

The '21 class had a generational talent in Lawrence, didn't play like it, but he had the Luck 2.0 gloss.

Fields took a myriad of hits but as a high school and college prospect, was always neck and neck with Lawrence, and for me put him in the same tier with Burrow, Lawrence, and Tua as the best QB prospects since Winston in '15 and Luck in '12 (please note, I'm ranking them as prospects, not as pro QB's that have disappointed or blown us away with their talent). 

After them you had another uber elite athlete big arm QB prospect in Lance, you had a prototype pocket guy in Mac Jones (basically a guy that would be the #2 QB in 1 blue chipper drafts or the first QB off the board in bad years (like '13, and '14). 

Yes we'll see how they pan out, but when the NFL and rotoviz and the rest of the excellent evaluators call these classes in advance they're pretty much always right when they think a class sucks (I can't think of a class where they were wrong), and they're generally right when they think it's good ('18 is looking like an exception). 

Right now '21 looks like the deepest class in terms of top end QB's of the past decade, and probably was the deepest class even before they played a down in the NFL, only '18 and '12 can compete, and of course '18 underdelivered,  and '12 was odd in the fact that two of the 3 biggest hits were much later selections). 

This is my problem w/the decision. 

The '20 class had 3 legit options, the '21 class had 5 legit options, the '22 class has 0 legit options. This was known, for years, plural. Doesn't mean they're gonna pan out, hit rate delivered in '20 (2 of 3 are legit, Tua looks like a mediocrity for now), in '21 only Mac Jones delivered consistent quality play of the 5, but I have a lot of faith long term in Lawrence, and Fields coming around, and I think Lance is at least as good a bet as Willis even with a lost season....This is the source of my frustration.

What did they think was gonna happen? Every other draft year that looked like crap ahead of time stayed crappy. Sure you end up sometimes pulling talent out of bad classes, Carr is an example of that, but it's rare that a class that is perceived as bad, suddenly becomes chock full of legit prospects. 

The only saving grace for me in this class is that it does have a good nice pile of second tier guys, basically the vast bulk of the top 5 this year at the position are guys who'd go 16-65 most years. I think Howell, Willis, and maybe Corral would be first rounders in any class, just not high ones (other than maybe Willis), I'm skeptical of the others sniffing round 1. So to my mind, if we pick 9-12 and go QB, well, we may end up reaching, but in truth, if we can get a Howell, a Willis, or a Corral there, the pick will basically look like the same roll of the dice most QB's taken after the top 10 look like save for Mahomes, and Allen (the former I loved, the latter, I was HUGELY skeptical of) who had elite, monstrous attributes which made them super attractive in ways that none of this class is at all beyond Willis. It's not the worst thing in the world, but Fields at 10 a year ago, for me anyway, is like getting the #1 overall selection QB in a lot of classes, and as it turned out Mac Jones 1 pick ahead of us basically looks like a Matt Ryan caliber home run, but in the mid 1st rather than the blue chip zone. You aren't getting anything near that in this draft, these guys would not be going top 10 or top 15 in a class like last years, period. So, frustrating, but it is what it is, if they hit, we won't care how it came about, and if they miss, we'll suck, and hopefully get another chance in '23 or '24 to try again, this is the kind of thing that you MUST keep trying to hit until you do it. There is no other way to play the game and build anything that can last. Period. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

How would you feel about grabbing whichever of these guys is left in round 2 or trading into the late 1st round to grab a QB with our 2nd pick? I'm guessing you'd be fine with grabbing Howell in round 2 after we draft a higher rated player with our first pick.

If it’s possible, but QBs get overvalued and drafted higher then they should. I’d be worried some won’t make it to the end of the 1st round.

Could be risky waiting for the 2nd to see if one of them fall

59 minutes ago, KDawg said:

1. Howell

1b. Corral

3. Willis

Well, one thing is for sure: Scott is probably going to jump up and down and throw a tantrum to make sure we don't draft a guy who can only throw into a 10 yard box.  He's basically been dealing with that for 2 years minus the games Haskins started.  But with Haskins, that doesn't count because he didn't know where to throw the ball.  

I really wish we had gotten to see what the offense would have looked like with Fitzy.  He wouldn't have been the long term answer, but he's a veteran who can make more of the throws.  It might not have worked, but I would have liked to have at least seen how the movie played out.  

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I think if you're going to draft your guy, you decide who it is, and you go get them.  If you try and get cutesy with it, then you're going to end up missing out.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Interesting that 5 of our last 6 first round draft picks have been on defense...that being the case our defense you would think will be dynamic next year and beyond. I hope we add the ND safety, Kyle Hamilton or the Georgia LB, Nakobe Dean in round 1. 

In free agency go get a big WR like Allen Robinson or Mike Williams to pair with Terry Mac and Logan Thomas. Sign a RB like Raheem Mostert or Rashad Penny in free agency to pair with Gibson and McKissic. 

Mitch Trubisky runs out of the tunnel to lead your 2022 Washington Warthogs into their new era.....what a script.

:ols:  Leading the 2022 team into their new era of perennial 8-9 and 9-8 seasons with no Super Bowl appearances. I'm on the edge of my seat already just thinking about it.

There's only one way I would be ok with signing Trubisky (or Mariota)...and that is if we do it in combination with a 1st round QB. That's it. Otherwise it's basically a tiny upgrade on what we have in Heinicke and a pathway to even more perpetual mediocrity.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mistertim said:

:ols:  Leading the 2022 team into their new era of perennial 8-9 and 9-8 seasons with no Super Bowl appearances. I'm on the edge of my seat already just thinking about it.

There's only one way I would be ok with signing Trubisky (or Mariota)...and that is if we do it in combination with a 1st round QB. That's it. Otherwise it's basically a tiny upgrade on what we have in Heinicke and a pathway to even more perpetual mediocrity.

So we’ve spent 5 of 6 firsts on D… so you want to draft more Defense first?

Edited by KDawg

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So we’ve spent 5 of 6 firsts on D… so you want to draft more Defense first?

Is that addressed to me or kingdaddy? He was the one suggesting we draft more defense in the 1st and essentially forego a QB in favor of future Participation Trophy Hall of Fame inductee Mitch Trubisky. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Is that addressed to me or kingdaddy? He was the one suggesting we draft more defense in the 1st and essentially forego a QB in favor of future Participation Trophy Hall of Fame inductee Mitch Trubisky. 

Listen... I hit the damn quote button his post and it quoted yours. It took me 5 minutes of reading your post to figure out why you were asking me if that was meant for you.

I'm thinking, "I didn't quote you, what the hell are you talking about, man?"

But I did quote you. But I didn't, really. But technically I did.

Edited by KDawg
  • Haha 4

I realize that the hand size thing in QB prospects is generally overrated, but hands Pickett's size still worry me a bit because they're just so extremely small for an NFL QB. That's like someone saying "Don't worry, it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it" and then saying "Oh, um...nevermind...yeah you're kinda in trouble there" when the person responds saying they have a 1 inch penis.

Edited by mistertim

14 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I realize that the hand size thing in QB prospects is generally overrated, but hands Pickett's size still worry me a bit because they're just so extremely small for an NFL QB. That's like someone saying "Don't worry, it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it" and then saying "Oh, um...nevermind...yeah you're kinda in trouble there" when the person responds saying they have a 1 inch penis.

Please don't use stories from my life without my permission. Thanks. 

• Haha 9

Pickett is my number one. And has been since about week 4 of the College season. I am however interested to see how he handles an NFL ball. It is only 1/2 an inch wider. But his hands are small for a QB. But so were Vicks, Romo's and a few other great QB's. If it effects his accuracy my thoughts could change. We will get a feel for how he throws it at the Senior Bowl though. 

2 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

It doesn't matter though.

The '21 class had a generational talent in Lawrence, didn't play like it, but he had the Luck 2.0 gloss.

Fields took a myriad of hits but as a high school and college prospect, was always neck and neck with Lawrence, and for me put him in the same tier with Burrow, Lawrence, and Tua as the best QB prospects since Winston in '15 and Luck in '12 (please note, I'm ranking them as prospects, not as pro QB's that have disappointed or blown us away with their talent). 

After them you had another uber elite athlete big arm QB prospect in Lance, you had a prototype pocket guy in Mac Jones (basically a guy that would be the #2 QB in 1 blue chipper drafts or the first QB off the board in bad years (like '13, and '14). 

Yes we'll see how they pan out, but when the NFL and rotoviz and the rest of the excellent evaluators call these classes in advance they're pretty much always right when they think a class sucks (I can't think of a class where they were wrong), and they're generally right when they think it's good ('18 is looking like an exception). 

Right now '21 looks like the deepest class in terms of top end QB's of the past decade, and probably was the deepest class even before they played a down in the NFL, only '18 and '12 can compete, and of course '18 underdelivered,  and '12 was odd in the fact that two of the 3 biggest hits were much later selections). 

This is my problem w/the decision. 

The '20 class had 3 legit options, the '21 class had 5 legit options, the '22 class has 0 legit options. This was known, for years, plural. Doesn't mean they're gonna pan out, hit rate delivered in '20 (2 of 3 are legit, Tua looks like a mediocrity for now), in '21 only Mac Jones delivered consistent quality play of the 5, but I have a lot of faith long term in Lawrence, and Fields coming around, and I think Lance is at least as good a bet as Willis even with a lost season....This is the source of my frustration.

What did they think was gonna happen? Every other draft year that looked like crap ahead of time stayed crappy. Sure you end up sometimes pulling talent out of bad classes, Carr is an example of that, but it's rare that a class that is perceived as bad, suddenly becomes chock full of legit prospects. 

The only saving grace for me in this class is that it does have a good nice pile of second tier guys, basically the vast bulk of the top 5 this year at the position are guys who'd go 16-65 most years. I think Howell, Willis, and maybe Corral would be first rounders in any class, just not high ones (other than maybe Willis), I'm skeptical of the others sniffing round 1. So to my mind, if we pick 9-12 and go QB, well, we may end up reaching, but in truth, if we can get a Howell, a Willis, or a Corral there, the pick will basically look like the same roll of the dice most QB's taken after the top 10 look like save for Mahomes, and Allen (the former I loved, the latter, I was HUGELY skeptical of) who had elite, monstrous attributes which made them super attractive in ways that none of this class is at all beyond Willis. It's not the worst thing in the world, but Fields at 10 a year ago, for me anyway, is like getting the #1 overall selection QB in a lot of classes, and as it turned out Mac Jones 1 pick ahead of us basically looks like a Matt Ryan caliber home run, but in the mid 1st rather than the blue chip zone. You aren't getting anything near that in this draft, these guys would not be going top 10 or top 15 in a class like last years, period. So, frustrating, but it is what it is, if they hit, we won't care how it came about, and if they miss, we'll suck, and hopefully get another chance in '23 or '24 to try again, this is the kind of thing that you MUST keep trying to hit until you do it. There is no other way to play the game and build anything that can last. Period. 

I can't comment much on the previous years draft classes but the thing that stood out to me about last year's class was the experience factor. Measurables and all that stuff aside, there was only one QB from the first round who had thrown more than 1000 balls in college (Lawrence). Guys like Lance had only 250ish snaps. Then there was Fields with 600ish Wilson with 809ish. Jones had 550ish which is scary. I don't even count him as being that great either. He's not bad. But he's comparable to Tua as a pro right now. It doesn't mean he can't develop but I think their inexperience is showing. 

Compare that to a few years before and we had

Tribusky - 572

Mahomes 1349

Watson 1207

Baker - 1497

Sam Darnold - 849

Allen 649

Rosen 1170

Jackson 1086

Theres no correlation between snaps in college and success but I have been comparing it to Parcells's rule for drafting a QB, one being needing to be a 3 year starter. We're not seeing that as much any more but I'm seeing some carryover in terms of this attempts metric. 

29 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Weird that a guy could be 6'3'' and have that small of hands

I felt this way too until I saw the same criticism about Mahomes and Burrow. Pickett's stats aren't quite as good as Burrows or Mahomes, but he has been called Borrows lite. And if that's what we're getting, sign me up. 

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Pickett is my number one. And has been since about week 4 of the College season. I am however interested to see how he handles an NFL ball. It is only 1/2 an inch wider. But his hands are small for a QB. But so were Vicks, Romo's and a few other great QB's. If it effects his accuracy my thoughts could change. We will get a feel for how he throws it at the Senior Bowl though. 

This was inside the article

I guess to add context to other QB's, his are said to be 8-1/4.  Not sure the fumble rate correlates because they seem a bit all over the place.

To put Pickett’s hand size in context take a look at the hand sizes of other NFL QB’s – – and then look at their fumble rates.

C6110782-6B3D-4152-8F3E-723C76DD3450.jpe

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I felt this way too until I saw the same criticism about Mahomes and Burrow. Pickett's stats aren't quite as good as Burrows or Mahomes, but he has been called Borrows lite. And if that's what we're getting, sign me up. 

Burrow had 9 inch hands and Mahomes 9.25. Pickett's hand is reportedly 8.25 inches...a full inch smaller than Mahomes and almost an inch smaller than Burrow. Pickett doesn't just have somewhat small hands for an NFL QB...he has historically tiny ones.

Again, I'm not going to let that one thing dissuade me from him, but it's obviously enough of an issue already that he reportedly wears 2 gloves on his throwing hand. The NFL ball is even bigger so I really wonder how he'll look throwing it and if it will be an issue for him. We'll also find out if his reported hand size is accurate.

6 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Wait are college footballs a different size? 

Beeing in same hand size category I can confirm that's it harder te be very consistent. Because the margin for error is smaller. I need to place my hand on a very specific spot to have the perfect grip with the fingertips on the laces. I can image a Big Ben type can just randomly grab a ball and always find grip. 

But Jamarcus Russel had huge hands. He didn't work out. So how important is it. ;)

• Like 2

Outside of making an unlikely trade for Carr, I think it would be borderline criminal to do anything other than draft a QB with our first pick if one of the top 3 prospects, however you rank them, is still on the board when we select.

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

1. Howell

1b. Corral

3. Willis

Yep I’m with this. Rivera is apparently very keen on Trubisky. I can live with that move, relatively low cost in context. Bring a rookie onboard too.

The onus is on the brains trust and then the coaching staff to do theirs jobs. Pick a good one and coach them up.

At least that demonstrates some forward thinking too.

• Like 1