Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

We won’t have to trade up to get a qb. We should have a top 10 pick; so at our spot their should still be a qb available. Though it may not be the qb we want.

Do you take your 2nd or 3rd favorite QB or your top choice at LB, OT, etc. with the first if it's up to you? 

Re: Gibbs1, he did have the personnel for a Coryell-style offense in 1981; we were leading the league in offense after 5 games but were 0-5 because we got outscored.  He adapted and began to emphasize the run (though as a mixed Riggo/Washington attack at first).  Gibbs's offenses from '81 through '91 were generally among the top 5 in both points and yards, 6X finishing top 5 in points and yards.  In 1983, Gibbs executed one of the most dominant offenses in NFL history.  The team was *19th* in passing attempts -- 18 teams chucked it more than us -- but was 7th in passing yards.  That's a ratio!  (We were only 3rd in rushing yards that year, but that's Riggo's fault for not getting more yards on a certain 24 of his carries....)  84 and 85 were down passing years (mediocre, not bad) as Theismann aged out.  86 was a good year for yards (6th) as Shroeder threw for 4,109(!) and we had two 1,000-yard receivers (Monk and Clark).  87 really can't be evaluated b/c the strike.  88 was when we really became a dangerous passing team as Monk wasn't yet old, Clark was in his prime, and Sanders was in his 2nd year.  Skins were 2nd in passing yards even though Sanders was the only 1,000 yard receiver, meaning the ball was spread around a ton.  1989 saw us dominate the air.  Rypien, for all his faults, was able to connect with the Posse (e, not y) enough to be the first team to have three 1,000 yard receivers and all 3 hit for over 1,100 yards.  Monk, our "possession" guy, hit for 1,186.  Passing fell off a bit in '90, though still 5th in yards.  1991 was the dominant year offensively though only 5th in passing yards.  This was probably due to:  1) being 7th in rushing yards; and 2) having a lot of short fields.  Ok, I'm guessing on the short fields, but the D was 2nd in points allowed (so few kickoff returns), 3rd in yards allowed and 3rd in turnovers.  Mitchell also averaged 13.3 yards per punt return.  So, for Rypien, it was the opposite of padding his stats with garbage time -- he simply had fewer opportunities to amass passing yards.

I'd go with the best passer and continue to develop the team.  We don't need more projects who haven't demonstrated certain key traits critical to successful QBs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duffy said:

Do you take your 2nd or 3rd favorite QB or your top choice at LB, OT, etc. with the first if it's up to you? 

If you feel the 2nd,3rd or 4th QB is the right choice; you take the qb. If you don’t feel it is; then you take another position with that choice or trade down to get more picks.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd be alright with Corral but wouldn't trade up anything significant to get him.

I don't think you'd have to trade anything significant, if we end up picking 10 or close enough to that pick.  but obviously its not in our hands.  it will require some luck. 

I read an article which I posted here weeks back that said different teams have different #1 QBs in this draft.  It should be interesting.  Some could make the case for Corral.  Some could for Pickett.  Some could for Willis.  

Count me with PFF in the Corral group as for him being the #1 QB.  I am still trying to figure out my #2,3,4.  I'll wait though until the Senior Bowl.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

14 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

We won’t have to trade up to get a qb. We should have a top 10 pick; so at our spot their should still be a qb available. Though it may not be the qb we want.

I think that's the big mystery question as for our FO.  I got my own opinion about who I like the best.  But clearly different people have different opinions.  And some suggest there might be more divergent opinions as to these QBs versus the typical draft. You can make arguments for different guys.  But does that point extend to our FO?

Before the last draft, a couple of beat guys said they heard they liked 2 Qbs in that draft which they thought they might have a shot at but they weren't willing to give up major draft capital to go get.  Rivera later confirmed that was true.   As for this draft, no scuttlebutt yet.    Aside from the Junkies saying they heard they weren't high on these Qb prospects and Rivera shut that down and he came off sincere on that.  Strongly hinting that they do like some of these guys and got into that he along with the FO have regular weekly conversations about QBs in this draft.  Rivera is typically brutally honest. 

So lets say for example they liked Corral, Pickett and Willis hypothetically.  If so they likely could sit back and grab whichever one is left assuning one is.  But if they really like one above the others they might have to trade up. 

What if we just roll with Heinicke and Allen and draft the best playmaking offensive player on the board? How bout a big WR who can run? A powerful bell-cow RB? I just don't think QB is the weakest spot on this team and I believe we can win with who we have. Get more playmakers and stay healthy. If we'd have stayed healthy we'd make the playoffs this season imo.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

What if we just roll with Heinicke and Allen and draft the best playmaking offensive player on the board? How bout a big WR who can run? A powerful bell-cow RB? I just don't think QB is the weakest spot on this team and I believe we can win with who we have. Get more playmakers and stay healthy. If we'd have stayed healthy we'd make the playoffs this season imo.

Honestly, I wouldn’t hate it, but it’s not ideal IMO.  This team showed it could withstand some injuries and compete with some good teams, so if we re-signed some key guys and added an offensive weapon or two plus a couple players in the back 7, I think we could put together a good (maybe even really good) season next year.  With that said, I really want to at least try to find our qb of the future, and there should be some intriguing options for us in this draft.  I’m a fan of Heinicke for sure, I just think we need a guy that can stretch the field/make all of the throws.  If we put off trying for a qb, I worry our draft position will leave us fewer qb options next year.

And frankly, I think there’s at least a possibility that we draft a qb and essentially redshirt them, so Heinicke might get the same chance at the scenario I mentioned above minus one player. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its amazing how low the standards some people have.

I want to build a team that can contend every year for a decade, not just luck into a 9 or 10 win season every few years.

Some of us believe that you can't just draft a QB in the 1st round and expect your future to be bright for the next 15 years. I'm 54 years old and the Skins have NEVER had a 10 year franchise QB, they won in other ways by building the roster and dominating both sides of the ball. They did have a HOF corner and ungodly good offensive line for over 10 years. My expectations are as high as anyones but I'm also realistic in that the next Justin Herbert isn't falling into our laps anytime soon. 

Tell me you wouldn't kill for a Jamar Chase or Jonathon Taylor right now if a guy like them is sitting there in the draft at #10? 

52 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Some of us believe that you can't just draft a QB in the 1st round and expect your future to be bright for the next 15 years. I'm 54 years old and the Skins have NEVER had a 10 year franchise QB, they won in other ways by building the roster and dominating both sides of the ball. They did have a HOF corner and ungodly good offensive line for over 10 years. My expectations are as high as anyones but I'm also realistic in that the next Justin Herbert isn't falling into our laps anytime soon. 

Tell me you wouldn't kill for a Jamar Chase or Jonathon Taylor right now if a guy like them is sitting there in the draft at #10? 

This isn't the 80s anymore. The teams that contend year in year out have a franchise QB. I'm not saying we absolutely have to draft one in the 1st round this year but that is without a doubt the most proven method of success(yes there are exceptions).

If we go into 2022 with nothing but Heinicke and Allen at QB we're punting another season away. We'll struggle to win 6 or 7 games again like this year.

• Like 3

Thing is I think we can get a QB upgrade if we’re top 10 (Willis, Howell, Corral possibly Pickett depending on how he throws the NFL ball), keep Heinicke as the starter until they’re ready, get 1-2 offensive playmakers on the draft or FA and be much improved.

An every down back and a true #2 receiver are necessities. I think a LT is probably a necessity, too, but if we can get Leno back for a reasonable deal I’m fine with that. 

I’d like a tight end. Jalen Wydermyer is one of my favorite draft candidates. I’m not sure if he’s coming out but if we were able to pull off getting a QB, him and a back I’d be absolutely stoked.

We need linebackers still, and a true free safety. But of the two I’d focus on the safety. I’ve kinda given up hope that we’ll do what’s needed at backer so now I’d rather build a team that can survive meh to mediocre backer play. 

2 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

Some good news for 2022

Big time.  Some on the Qb thread would like to see the Giants deal for Russell Wilson and think the last laugh would be on them.  To each their own but I think that's crazy.  

Them bringing back Daniel Jones to me would be tremendous.  He IMO puts a ceiling on their seasons and potentially takes a competitor with more trade ammunition out of the QB derby. 

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’d like a tight end. Jalen Wydermyer is one of my favorite draft candidates. I’m not sure if he’s coming out but if we were able to pull off getting a QB, him and a back I’d be absolutely stoked.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

An every down back and a true #2 receiver are necessities.

No doubt.

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We need linebackers still, and a true free safety. But of the two I’d focus on the safety. I’ve kinda given up hope that we’ll do what’s needed at backer so now I’d rather build a team that can survive meh to mediocre backer play. 

I think Rivera is somewhat driven by fixing LB.  I've heard him saying a couple of times what's missing to make this defense special is to find his Luke Kuechly.  Keim who is usually spot on said in his last podcast, they've reached the conclusion that Jamin is an outside LB not a Mike.

I've been mostly in the tank for this coaching staff.   But I do think they mismanaged Jamin in this effort to find their next Keuchly.  I've said (among other here from the jump) that Jamin is a weakside LB not a Mike.  The dude has only one year of college experience and they shift him to the middle during camp and have him call plays? 

Jamin isn't a thumper MIKE type IMO or a call the defense type based on what I saw in Kentucky.   He's a dude you keep clean to run side line to side line and use his range.   And rush him at the passer IMO.  You want a Mike directing him so he can play instincitively IMO versus putting that responsibility on his shoulders.   He's coming on slow.  LBs tend to take more time especially inexperineced ones like him but I do think their training camp Mike experiment that bled some into the season is part of the slow progression. 

I do think we still need that Mike LB.  Dean and Lloyd look special.  Sadly, I don't think they fall to the mid first if that's where we end up picking let alone 2nd -- i assume they are using their first on a QB.  But if they do think either guy can upgrade this defense tremendously.

FS is stacked in FA. 

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

This isn't the 80s anymore. The teams that contend year in year out have a franchise QB. I'm not saying we absolutely have to draft one in the 1st round this year but that is without a doubt the most proven method of success(yes there are exceptions).

If we go into 2022 with nothing but Heinicke and Allen at QB we're punting another season away. We'll struggle to win 6 or 7 games again like this year.

Yeah i don't think they can punt on QB for another year.   Only thing that could change that now would be Heinicke burning up the next 3 games and i don't think that will be easy for him considering the injuries.    I think McKissic is really key for Heinicke.  Heinicke doesn't typically challenge defenses well deep so having a dude you can throw hitches, screens, wheel routes to I think is essential for him to thrive.  But who knows?  Sometimes he can surprise.  Will see.

I suspect this is going to be a wildly entertaining off season.  lol, i could see we all have our strong opinions about the QB spot and who we like.  And we got some disagreements.  That's not so bad though.  The off season is long.  Some heated QB discussion can kill a lot of time talking ball. :ols:

I don't think I've ever been this hyped about a Senior Bowl.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

suspect this is going to be a wildly entertaining off season.  lol, i could see we all have our strong opinions about the QB spot and who we like.  And we got some disagreements.  That's not so bad though.  The off season is long.  Some heated QB discussion can kill a lot of time talking ball. :ols:

I mean, for the 20 of us that still care, sure. :P 

I agree they can’t punt on QB another season.

I just don’t know how they solve it unless they fall in love with a guy in the draft. Otherwise I’m not sure who they could lure in a trade or FA who would be a big upgrade. 

And this seems to be the wrong year to be needing to draft a QB.

44 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I mean, for the 20 of us that still care, sure. :P 

those 20 people are enough to keep me entertained whether I agree with them or not. 😀    If people spend some time watching these QBs whether I see the same things or not, I appreciate the effort of them watching the players and the discussion that follows. ;)

I just don’t know how they solve it unless they fall in love with a guy in the draft. Otherwise I’m not sure who they could lure in a trade or FA who would be a big upgrade. 

As we know the draft is where it typically happens.  As for the trade market, will see.  Obviously that just has to play out.  But yeah as for the marquee guys:  Watson, Wilson, Rodgers -- I think no chance.

And this seems to be the wrong year to be needing to draft a QB.

Not sure I agree.  But I get the sentiment.  It seems like boiler plate media talk right now as for this not being the right draft.  I forgot which draft geek shot this down recently on the radio but I liked what he said since it dovetailed with my thoughts :ols: which is this draft is missing a headliner but as for depth its intriguing -- a bunch of guys that have the talent to be a franchise QB but enough questions exist too about them that you aren't giving up the store to go get them. 

i think the trade market might be unusually loaded.  As far as this draft, there isn't a headliner but when are we ever in position to get a headliner QB in the draft?  Whenever we have a high pick, we lose it ala the 2014 draft or they are out of reach (Burrow) 2020 draft.  We are typically fishing in that next tier.  The best way to capture my opinion on this is I think that next tier of QBs that we typically shop from is if anything more intriguing to me in 2022 than the typical year.  For me at least its certainly more intriguing than the last year we shopped -- 2019. 

Speaking of which, I got a small bone to pick with Rivera speaking of which.  He was asked by Sheehan about the 2020 draft in a recent interview and talked about the QBs.  Rivera was suprisingly revealing.  He more or less suggested said they loved Burrow but was out of reach.  Tua's injury concerned them.  And as far as Herbert (this was the part that bugged me) he implied that he was intriguing but he wasn't some slam dunk consensus loved QB -- he seemed to be making the point that since Herbert wasn't so obvious, they deserve a break on him.  OK, cool.   But I'd expect more from the scouting staff than simply hey its not 100% obvious so pass.   I get it in the context of Chase being in that draft.  But I don't agree with the general point that it had to be super obvious.  And perhaps he meant it in that way where Chase was obvious and Herbert not so much.

It's not like every stud QB in today's NFL were some consensus slam dunk no brainers whether it was Mahomes, L. Jackson, Herbert, J. Allen, etc.  You get paid to do better than draft guys who fit the category of hey who doesn't know this guy is a stud.  So while I generally like Rivera a lot, that answer made me cringe.  Though I do love Keim saying Hurney's thing is QBs, he loves scouting that spot and he was hopped up about Herbert before the draft.

The type of QBs in this draft fit the categorty of hey I could see it but maybe not.  There is no IMO Joe Burrow or Kyler Murray or Andrew Luck or Cam, etc.  These are the type of guys your scouts need to dive in hard and figure it out.  Personally, i do think there will likely be 2-3 QBs from this draft that will end up good.  As for great?  Not sure.  But I could definitely see a Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, etc caliber QB or two or three in this mix.  Will see. 

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Right on. Sorry but Taylor’s limitations will prevent you from winning much. Best case for him is 8/9 wins. Maybe he gets lucky and beats a good team, like beating Tampa. A schedule full of good teams and he doesn’t do well.

If Ron doesn’t want his tenure to end early and get a contract extension; he needs to upgrade the qb position.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

No doubt.

I think Rivera is somewhat driven by fixing LB.  I've heard him saying a couple of times what's missing to make this defense special is to find his Luke Kuechly.  Keim who is usually spot on said in his last podcast, they've reached the conclusion that Jamin is an outside LB not a Mike.

I've been mostly in the tank for this coaching staff.   But I do think they mismanaged Jamin in this effort to find their next Keuchly.  I've said (among other here from the jump) that Jamin is a weakside LB not a Mike.  The dude has only one year of college experience and they shift him to the middle during camp and have him call plays? 

Jamin isn't a thumper MIKE type IMO or a call the defense type based on what I saw in Kentucky.   He's a dude you keep clean to run side line to side line and use his range.   And rush him at the passer IMO.  You want a Mike directing him so he can play instincitively IMO versus putting that responsibility on his shoulders.   He's coming on slow.  LBs tend to take more time especially inexperineced ones like him but I do think their training camp Mike experiment that bled some into the season is part of the slow progression. 

I do think we still need that Mike LB.  Dean and Lloyd look special.  Sadly, I don't think they fall to the mid first if that's where we end up picking let alone 2nd -- i assume they are using their first on a QB.  But if they do think either guy can upgrade this defense tremendously.

FS is stacked in FA. 

What about free agency? While I would use the cap space to extend some of own guys; we probably should try to get one or two bigger named free agents at safety and linebacker.  Yeah, I know after basically busting on free agency this year; you’d be reluctant but we got to try again.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Thing is I think we can get a QB upgrade if we’re top 10 (Willis, Howell, Corral possibly Pickett depending on how he throws the NFL ball), keep Heinicke as the starter until they’re ready, get 1-2 offensive playmakers on the draft or FA and be much improved.

An every down back and a true #2 receiver are necessities. I think a LT is probably a necessity, too, but if we can get Leno back for a reasonable deal I’m fine with that. 

This is basically how I see it as well.

1a. QB - even if they sit out the year

1b. LT - Need two tackles.  I’d be okay with Leno and Lucas returning, but it’d be nice to add a young guy.

2a. RB - Obvious need (I hope we re-sign McKissick as well).  Could look to FA instead of draft though.

3a. ILB - Move Jamin to the outside (can he play the Buffalo Nickel?)

3b. Receiver - We have bodies and some talent (it’s a shame Samuel hasn’t worked out yet), but could really use a bonafide #2.  Re-sign Carter (mainly as a returner).  A small part of me wonders if we might be better at receiver than we think and just need a better qb to get them the ball.

3c. FS - I wouldn’t argue if someone thought this should be 3a instead.  Could look to FA.

4. TE - I’m worried about Thomas’ injury.  Really like Bates, but he’s just ok in the pass game.  Sammis has loads of potential, but that’s all it is for now… potential.

Other areas I’m concerned about -

Corner (can never have enough)

G (Scherff presumably gone after this year and Flowers/Sweitzer FAs after next year)

DT (Settle a FA after this year, Io after next… I’m assuming they find a way to keep Payne)

I highly doubt it happens, but there’s a part of me that hopes no qbs go early (before our pick) and we take one of the top 2 linebackers in the first, then trade back into the 1st to land one of the the guys you mentioned.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

What about free agency? While I would use the cap space to extend some of own guys; we probably should try to get one or two bigger named free agents at safety and linebacker.  Yeah, I know after basically busting on free agency this year; you’d be reluctant but we got to try again.

Hard/rare to find a good LB in FA.  It’s possible we could find an upgrade to Davis though (allowing us to move him to WLB or a similar situational role that suits his abilities).