Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Here's draft network. 

they have us taking Pickett.   Corral at #11.  Then no other QBs in the first round.  I think this is shaping up to be a wild ride draft wise at the QB spot.    If I recall it was Breer saying that there is really a ton of divergent opinions about these QBs among scouts.  

\
Washington

Kenny Pickett

QB, Pittsburgh

Someone has to be QB1 right? While this class is certainly lacking a Trevor Lawrence or a Joe Burrow type of prospect, there are still some quarterbacks that teams should feel good about building around. One such player is Pittsburgh’s Kenny Pickett. Pickett took the next step in his development and has skyrocketed up the boards with a sensational senior season. He is poised, athletic, makes good decisions, and has just enough arm strength to make all of the throws. Washington needs to attempt to find their next QB of the future and while the team may have some love and appreciation for Taylor Heinicke, that should not stop them from taking a swing here with Pickett. 

10 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

We’re gonna draft a QB out of desperation and he’s going to suck.

Well there's that. Or he turns out good. Or they trade for a new starter. Or they bring in a FA starter

I would expect 2 new QB's on the roster

@Koolblue13.  I've watched the Ridder video before and commented on it, funny that Kyle Allen is one of the two evaluators.

I haven't seen though that Corral video.  He showed some segments, which I clipped below that showcases how well Corral looks off safeties.  The first clip is his initial look, the 2nd is where he ended up throwing to.

Also showcases how Corral isn't always locked into his first read and adjusts depending on the coverage.   RPOs typically become one read becuase you are reading the movement of a player, often the LB, and you are often exploiting a vacant spot-opening.   But Corral on certain plays shows he's not stuck on a guy, they showcased that on the video well.

You could see in some of those segments Corral having eyes in the back of his head.  He has natural pocket presence and vision as to darting away from pressure and as a runner in open field.  

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 2.05.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 2.05.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 2.13.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 2.14.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 2.03.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 2.03.21 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

I’ve got a lengthy wishlist this offseason, but man, I’d love to “finish” the defense.  Draft a good linebacker (or 2), sign and/or draft a good FS, add corner/dline depth.

Hate to say it, but I’m so jealous of the Cowboys being able to spend 9 picks or whatever to flood their defense with talent.  Instead, we’re going into the offseason with no LT, no tackle or guard depth, no qb, no FS, needing corner and dline depth, needing a linebacker (or 2), a #2 receiver, and not knowing if we’ll have a starting TE.  Blah.

image.gif.47f95278deb0351c2a6b4c66d2c50da3.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I want to draft this guy so freaking badly

So tempting to use our 1st pick on a talent like that and then maybe move up with our 2nd for a qb (or stay pat if the tea leaves suggest a qb or 2 they like will still be there).  Or, an even likely possibility, drop back a few slots in the 1st and then use that added pick to move up, retaining our future (2023) picks.  Two risky avenues to be sure though.  To add one more though - drop a few slots in the first for a future pick, pick a qb in the 2nd or 3rd (Ridder/Strong/Zappe/whoever), and then have ammo to move up in 2023 if need be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

So tempting to use our 1st pick on a talent like that and then maybe move up with our 2nd for a qb (or stay pat if the tea leaves suggest a qb or 2 they like will still be there).  Or, an even likely possibility, drop back a few slots in the 1st and then use that added pick to move up, retaining our future (2023) picks.  Two risky avenues to be sure though.  To add one more though - drop a few slots in the first for a future pick, pick a qb in the 2nd or 3rd (Ridder/Strong/Zappe/whoever), and then have ammo to move up in 2023 if need be.

I've been hyped about Dean for most of the season.  Great player.

But I want them to fish for the QB they love the most.  If by chance they think whatever lets say Ridder > Corral and thus they'd rather get their guy later in the draft, then OK.  But I want them to either trade for or draft their absolutely favorite QB.

As Sheehan likes to say its hard enough to win in this league.  Even harder with the owner we got.  Even harder without the QB.  But having this owner and not having the QB, is too much to overcome and the hallmark for why this team has been so bad under Dan.  If we can't get rid of Dan maybe at least we finally can find a QB. 

• Like 1

I like Howell more than the typical mock drafter.  But why do I prefer Corral over him?

A.  Pocket presence.  The dude is slippery in the pocket and senses pressure better IMO.  He has a great feel for pressure and how to escape it.  Howell has some cool highlights on that front but i don't find him to be especially elusive in the pocket as to escaping pressure or at a minimum he isn't IMO in Corral's league on that front.

B.  Mobility.  Yeah Howell can run and has mobility.  But IMO Corra's mobility will translate better to the pros.  He's more slippery and to my eyes has better vision in open field.

C.  Throws off defenders better, pump fakes and various ways to misdirect defenders

Otherwise to me Howell is a similar flavor to Corral.  Both throw really nice deep balls.  Have good accuracy.  Have mobility.  Can make off platform throws.  And both are tough as nails.  Based on what I've read about them, Corral is much more of a vocal leader whereas Howell is a quiet dude but plays so tough that his teammates rally around it.  

I know the stat below is heavily influenced by QBs who hold on to the ball to make plays.  But whether I saw that stat or not, I've pushed Corral in part because I think his pocket presence and elusiveness really stands out.  

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been hyped about Dean for most of the season.  Great player.

But I want them to fish for the QB they love the most.  If by chance they think whatever lets say Ridder > Corral and thus they'd rather get their guy later in the draft, then OK.  But I want them to either trade for or draft their absolutely favorite QB.

As Sheehan likes to say its hard enough to win in this league.  Even harder with the owner we got.  Even harder without the QB.  But having this owner and not having the QB, is too much to overcome and the hallmark for why this team has been so bad under Dan.  If we can't get rid of Dan maybe at least we finally can find a QB. 

Absolutely.  I want them to get their favorite qb.  I guess I was looking at it more from the context of these qbs seem to be all over the place in draft gurus and fans minds.  So their favorite guy might be gone early and the rest could rate more closely, or they might not have any sort of consensus on a guy, they could have multiple guys rated similarly, or their calculus could change if they land a vet (Trubisky/Mariota)… I have no idea.

Of course, this is coming from someone who doesn’t follow CFB.  So to me, a lot of these top guys sound good.  If, for example, Willis or Howell slip to the late 1st, adding a guy like Dean and then a small trade up for one of them sounds like a good deal.

• Like 2