Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Having Davis play MLB was a colossal mistake from the start. I can't stand playing players at a position they're not best at and that's something this organization has been doing for 20+ years, its maddening.

Yeah it sure hasn't worked out very well, just like having having Bostic starting two years in row. 

LB in general has been a sore spot and not much available in FA. I mean maybe a Perryman could have been a better option than Bostic.

Then no need to press LB in the 1st, address another need position, then take a LB in the 2nd or 3rd round, like a Werner, Bolton or Barnes.

For now, Davis is ultra athletic and hope the game slows down for him....sooooooon

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yes, the analytics back that up too: you win most games you are not outscored in.

That's true, but my comment was in response to an earlier comment that Gibbs went to a power running game because he did not have the personnel to execute Air Coryell.  That is incorrect.  At 0-5, the O was leading the league.  The D was giving up more points than the O could score.  So, he didn't have the right *D* to play Air Coryell, not the right O.  Either you knew that (and hence what I meant) or you didn't, but either way, not a good look for you.

8 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

That's true, but my comment was in response to an earlier comment that Gibbs went to a power running game because he did not have the personnel to execute Air Coryell.  That is incorrect.  At 0-5, the O was leading the league.  The D was giving up more points than the O could score.  So, he didn't have the right *D* to play Air Coryell, not the right O.  Either you knew that (and hence what I meant) or you didn't, but either way, not a good look for you.

Or, it was a joke and you should settle down...

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Well our timing usually sucks, we did have the second pick in 2020 but luckily we didn't take Hebert ☹️

Hindsight is 50/50. It would have been a real hard sell, taking him over Young in that draft. I am more of the mind that our token playoff appearance last year cost us Justin Fields.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If there is a QB available at our pick in the first and we don't trade the farm for a vet we have to go QB. We will be picking low enough where one of the top 3-4 will be available. There are no other options at this point. 

Yeah no doubt.  Right now we are picking 9th. The way they are playing of late I doubt they beat the Eagles.  I think though they likely beat the Giants who look beyond awful 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah no doubt.  Right now we are picking 9th. The way they are playing of late I doubt they beat the Eagles.  I think though they likely beat the Giants who look beyond awful 

We can't beat the Giants.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If there is a QB available at our pick in the first and we don't trade the farm for a vet we have to go QB. We will be picking low enough where one of the top 3-4 will be available. There are no other options at this point. 

If the Texans went QB in the 1st, we should think about trading for Davis Mills.  I've barely scouted the QB's in this draft, but every time I do it doesn't inspire confidence.

This is an extremely awkward off-season coming up for us.

9 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

If the Texans went QB in the 1st, we should think about trading for Davis Mills.  I've barely scouted the QB's in this draft, but every time I do it doesn't inspire confidence.

This is an extremely awkward off-season coming up for us.

I would think they would want to keep him. He would still have a couple years on his rookie 3rd round contract.

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

I would think they would want to keep him. He would still have a couple years on his rookie 3rd round contract.

I wouldn't draft a QB in the 1st if I were them.  But if they do, getting draft capital for the backup QB is appealing.  At some level having Mills as the backup isn't worth it if the draft picks are good enough.  What is good enough?  I don't know.  2nd round?  3rd?  4th?

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I wouldn't draft a QB in the 1st if I were them.  But if they do, getting draft capital for the backup QB is appealing.  At some level having Mills as the backup isn't worth it if the draft picks are good enough.  What is good enough?  I don't know.  2nd round?  3rd?  4th?

I could understand this if Watson never gets cleared so they can't get squat for him. Then the extra capital might be appreciated and the could bring back Tyrod Taylor as the vet.

I would want to keep him for his potential and contract numbers.

Watched five games of cut ups for Matt Corral and I'm stuck on a take of liking him but not loving him.  I like the decisiveness and touch and the arm talent and I like his try hard energy and toughness, but I don't think he's special in any notable area and I have a hard time seeing any justification for picking him over Willis if both are available.  His arm isn't as strong and he's not as creative or fast or strong.  And he's not a tremendously instinctive or anticipatory passer either.

I don't understand why Willis gets labeled a one read quarterback when Matt Corral makes it to a second read even less than him.  The guy throws to his second read maybe four or five times a game at most.  95% of his snaps he is either immediately throwing his first read or he's handing off or running.

He's going to face the same development curve as Willis in becoming an instinctive progression reader in the NFL, and he's not as gifted as Willis.  If both are on the table when we pick, that wouldn't be a tough choice for me.

To me, the really tough choice is between him and Pickett if Willis is already gone.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Watched five games of cut ups for Matt Corral and I'm stuck on a take of liking him but not loving him.  I like the decisiveness and touch and the arm talent and I like his try hard energy and toughness, but I don't think he's special in any notable area and I have a hard time seeing any justification for picking him over Willis if both are available.  His arm isn't as strong and he's not as creative or fast or strong.  And he's not a tremendously instinctive or anticipatory passer either.

I don't understand why Willis gets labeled a one read quarterback when Matt Corral makes it to a second read even less than him.  The guy throws to his second read maybe four or five times a game at most.  95% of his snaps he is either immediately throwing his first read or he's handing off or running.

He's going to face the same development curve as Willis in becoming an instinctive progression reader in the NFL, and he's not as gifted as Willis.  If both are on the table when we pick, that wouldn't be a tough choice for me.

To me, the really tough choice is between him and Pickett if Willis is already gone.

I think Corral gets through his reads more than Willis. I also think he is much better from an accuracy perspective. He doesn't have the same arm or the athleticism, though he isn't bad in either.

I agree that Corral isn't elite in any one place. But I think he is more of a jack of all trades coming out than Willis. 

If I thought we could develop a guy like Willis I'd be all about drafting him. He has the highest upside of everyone. I just don't see it.