Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's insane.  He can do it all.   Pass rush.  Cover.  Stop the run.  20 QB pressures.  5 sacks.  If we want our own LB response to M. Parsons, this might be that dude.

Those A gap blitzes are other worldly. Adding that to our defense from the MLB position would be incredible. I like Holcomb and Davis outside, with a monster like this in the middle of our defense. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Man it would be a hell of a risk to pick a LB with 1st pick and hope qbs slide and then Trade back up to grab you’re qb 

if RR pulled that off it would be a master class 

if he misses it could be the end for him with this franchise.

guess it may depend on how of the qbs they really like !!!

• Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I love Dean. Lloyd. All the same guys. I just don’t see how we pull that off.

Quarterback is going to be the pick and if it’s not that pick will likely be used for a QB. 

Yeah just about for sure.  Keim was on just now 980, he said he expects them to swing hard for everything interesting at QB.  More or less implying they will swing first at veterans in the market, he did mention Carr in that mix.  He goes the one who loved Carr within the Raiders was Gruden but now that he's gone its possible he hits the market depending on the new coaching staff.  He also said they are studying these QBs in the draft hard.  No shocker.  but I mention this because Keim doesn't pull stuff out of his butt, its almost always something he's heard from someone there, usually multiple people.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Watching a few games back to back of Corral, Pickett, Howell last night to refresh myself.

I'll start with why do I like Corral but don't love him?  I think his accuracy is good at all three levels but not great.  He needs to throw with more touch.    He and Pickett have something in common in my eyes which is they play a bit too fast, too frenetic at times, more so Corral than Pickett.  It feels like they need to settle down especially when throwing check downs in the flat.     In Corral's case part of could be the high tempo offense that Kiffin runs puts him in that mode. 

Corral as a runner I think could be really good in the NFL.  He does have some Sam Howell like runs where he just plows into guys -- runs that won't translate to the NFL.  But otherwise his vision in open field IMO is really good.  He sees creases, he's decisive and goes for it.   He looks more fluid of a runner than Pickett does or Howell does. 

There is one draft geek type who works for pro football network who just loves Pickett and thinks he's the best of these QBs as for manipulating safeties with body language.  Most others think that attribute is really Corral's game.  I am with the Corral people on this.  Pickett to me locks into his target too much with his eyes. 

Pickett can move in the pocket well and can dodge pressure.  I think Corral is a hair better on that front but they are both good at it.    You could see at times where Pickett's lack of arm strength burns him.  It's when he can't fuly step into his throws and when he throws across his body. 

Corral's worst game for me was the Tennessee one.  But even in that one his running made up for it to an extent and his receivers were atrocious. 

I don't see Burrow in Pickett.  I don't think Pickett has Burrow's same level of composure in the pocket or accuracy.  But I get the argument of him perhaps being a poor man's Burrow. 

Sam Howell's ability to make the pretty throws -- deep outs, go route, posts-deep ball might be tops in this class outside of Carson Strong.  I think Howell and Corral both throw really nice deep balls but I'd favor Howell's slightly because he puts more touch on them, they come off more catchable. I think Strong is the best on this count but there are other reasons why I don't like Strong as much as the top 4 QBs.   My issue with Howell is his vision both in the pocket (pocket presence) and in open field as a runner.

I get why anyone is more sold on Corral, or Pickett, or Willis or maybe even Howell.  You have to really project some with all of these guys.  In that mix, I like Corral.  but I got no problem with anyone who argues for another one of these guys.  They all have an attribute or two that favors them over the other guy so it somewhat depends on how you value those attributes.   The Senior Bowl for me is key.  I'll likely change my mind for better or worse on some of these guys after that.   

I am very open minded about all these guys because while I don't love any of them, I don't hate them either.  Usually I hate a QB prospect or two where they scream bust to me.  I don't have that red flag yet on any of these guys. 

• Like 5

I like Howell a lot, but I've watched more of his cut ups than anyone else.

Ridder to me is the wildcard. I think he's the one that most fits KDawgs worries of an Allen like beginning of a career also. I think his pro upside might be the highest of a lot of these guys, but it's going to take a couple years of PT for him to get it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Ridder to me is the wildcard. I think he's the one that most fits KDawgs worries of an Allen like beginning of a career also. I think his pro upside might be the highest of a lot of these guys, but it's going to take a couple years of PT for him to get it.

I agree. Ridder and Willis both fit that. And both have high upside.

• Like 1

If the solution is a rookie, so be it and I'll try and be patient all year and assume we'll be a losing team again and a lot of the current talent will be gone, before our offense is really good, but we're not at the "rookie QB" stage of a team. We have to sign a veteran this year. It's can't just be "tada here's Trubisky" because that would be a disaster. I hope we draft a rookie. I really do, but I think we have to get a high profile vet and clear out our QB room.

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If it goes like the mock drafts right now project where Corral, Pickett go relatively early and maybe Willis, too.

And the next tier are Howell, Strong, Ridder.  I'd go Howell without blinking if we are shopping in that group of three Qbs. 

Strong and Ridder are really hard for me to figure out.  I might have been one of the earliest cheerleaders for Ridder, I talked about him a lot last year.  

Strong and Ridder fit what I call the Drew Lock category for me.  That year it felt I could see Lock making it but also easily see him busting too.  I think Ridder's mobility and intangibles would help avoid him being a bust. 

But at the same time, he's the only QB I've watched in this group that give me visions of what turned me off to Rosen and Darnold which is some really bad decisions where it comes off to me like what is this dude thinking?  I used to think you might be able to coach up decision making.  But I've become more cynical about it over the years because I've come to believe its about vision and either you got it or you don't. 

So Ridder's decision making and inconsistent accuracy brings me back to Darnold and Rosen.  But at the same time, Ridder's leadership skills are much more touted than those two QBs and he has much more mobility.

Ridder and Strong to me have something in common which is I think they more than most need good protection and weapons and for totally different reasons.  Strong needs it because IMO his mobility and pocket presence are subpar but if you give him time he's a really passer IMO.  And for Ridder its because when I watch him he more than the others thrives when dudes are wide open.  If a receiver is wide open his confidence seems to be jacked up and almost never misses the open receiver.  When guys aren't clearly open his confidence seems to wane and he's not the same guy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If the solution is a rookie, so be it and I'll try and be patient all year and assume we'll be a losing team again and a lot of the current talent will be gone, before our offense is really good, but we're not at the "rookie QB" stage of a team. We have to sign a veteran this year. It's can't just be "tada here's Trubisky" because that would be a disaster. I hope we draft a rookie. I really do, but I think we have to get a high profile vet and clear out our QB room.

Even if it’s not a rookie I think our first rounder will be in the mix.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With Thomas coming back and Bates emerging. For once I don't think i'll dive in that hard to the TEs for this draft but like any year I am a BPA guy so if a good one shows at our pick, I am game. 

Bates makes me so happy. He's already one of the highest rated blockers this year and there is a lot of growing room for him in the passing game. Soft hands and smart enough to find the soft zone holes. That play is awesome. I've been dieing for a player like Bates on this team. Fred Davis, Jordan Reed, torture watching playing TE. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good to see a big play for Dyami.  I'd try to feed him in the next 2 games

Here's PFF's current take on the roster

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 7.24.03 PM.png

Against the Eagles, I don’t have an issue giving Mayo some run. He is a Mason Foster sort of player - not a good athlete but very solid vs the run. Let him play the MIKE and let Cole and Jamin play on the outside. Howard is an in line sort of back

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Dyami feeling the rookie wall… in week 1?  

J/K, I seriously hope he works out and I’m keeping an open mind.

If I'm Dyami, I become Terry's siamese twin this offseason and work my butt off to get better.  Every. Single. Day.  This kid needs to show he can play at this level game-in and game-out next year.  Not talking a world beater or anything, but he's gotta show a crap ton more next year than he did this, that's for sure.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Kenny Pickett going against Michigan State defense tonight. Alas it is on against the Bills/Pats. I will be flipping channels like a madman. 

Pickett is among the players who elected not to play in the bowl games.  So you won't see him.

But Howell is playing this morning, 11 am.

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pickett is among the players who elected not to play in the bowl games.  So you won't see him.

But Howell is playing this morning, 11 am.

Of course he’s playing when I take my kid to the dentist

• Haha 2

Well my order of QBs after an hour of scouting :ols: would be :

Howell

Corral

Willis

Strong

Pickett

Completely uneducated, but for some reason the only one I came away ‘unimpressed’ with was Pickett. I thought he looked slow and heavy footed in the pocket. But hell, what do I know :ols:

The others I could see merit in having here. I might even put Strong before Willis.

I think based on where we are picking we would be outright idiotic not to select a QB (only the LV situation with Carr would be ahead of that approach for me).