Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

This 2022 QB class is interesting. Plenty of guys who show promise and are very intriguing, but who aren't necessarily can't miss type prospects. That could be good for us, since we're pretty unlikely to have a top 5 pick.

That said, it looks like Corral has separated himself from the rest so far. Sucks because I really like him too. Howell, Rattler, Strong, Ridder I like as well to varying degrees. Malik Willis is very interesting because of his big time physical traits, though playing for a small school always brings its own questions.

Your are right in your comment about Willis and playing for a small school, and surely ODU is anything but a powerhouse, but I watched Willis put up some great, great numbers against the Monarchs Saturday evening. He went 21 of 28 (even I can figure our that's 75%) for 242 yards and 4 TDs, and added another 77 yards and 2 TDs on the ground. Even better, he easily passes the eye test. He is listed at 6'1" and 215, and runs a 4.52 forty. He appears to be strongly put together. I think he will be a second round pick at worst and may well go in the first round.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I can't wait until somebody starts putting together his cut ups for this season.  You guys are going to love him.  He's a splashy playmaker who does some of the exciting athletic things that Jaylon Smith would do, but he's got much better instincts. 

I'm becoming a bigger Hienicke fan by the minute.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Your are right in your comment about Willis and playing for a small school, and surely ODU is anything but a powerhouse, but I watched Willis put up some great, great numbers against the Monarchs Saturday evening. He went 21 of 28 (even I can figure our that's 75%) for 242 yards and 4 TDs, and added another 77 yards and 2 TDs on the ground. Even better, he easily passes the eye test. He is listed at 6'1" and 215, and runs a 4.52 forty. He appears to be strongly put together. I think he will be a second round pick at worst and may well go in the first round.

Yeah that's true. And nowadays the small school thing doesn't necessarily seem to matter as much seeing as how SF gave up 3 1st round picks to move up for a small school guy with only 1 year of starting experience.

I still feel like that was nutty, but they obviously had their reasons. I could see Willis moving up into the 1st round, especially if he continues to light it up and other QB prospects falter a bit. Though the thing Lance had that Willis lacks is the size. He's not tiny or anything, but he doesn't have that big prototypical size that personally I'd prefer if I'm looking for a dual threat QB.

• Like 1

A player some of us liked, especially @stevemcqueen1

On 9/20/2021 at 1:14 PM, ODU AGGIE said:

Judging by buzz, he's likely going top 10.  Looking forward to the match up versus Corral. 

• Like 2

Strangely enough, next year could be a good year to pick a QB outside the top 10. In recent years, the QB classes were often top heavy and then nothing exciting for a while. It feels like the QB1 race for next year is wide open with multiple prospects with different skill sets. Could be a year where 1-2 QBs get drafted in the middle or end of the first round where people are going to say "how the hell did that guy drop that year". Just got to find the right one - not that that is a particularly easy task.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Parsons looked like a monster playing edge last week.  That might be his better spot considering his athletecism and as a LB at Penn State he shows his edge rushing chops. But as we spoke about before that draft many times can he keep his personality at bay, I hope not.

We all figured this would be the case...hoping his mouth causes locker room issues

I loved the response to Bayless's comment - So basically the same thing you do :806:

• Like 2

Treylon Burks has been spectacularly good today.  The size, speed, and strength are all really evident but he's shown off his hands and body control today too.

As much as I like Wilson and Olave, Burks looks like WR1 to me.  One thing I'd worry about with him is he looks like the type whose weight could get out of control if he doesn't keep on it in the NFL.  Don't want see a Kelvin Benjamin type situation with him.  But if he does work at it and eats right and gets into great shape, he could be special.

• Like 1

It's also been something of a nightmare season for Sam Howell.  He's shell shocked.  Spraying the ball high, taking coverage sacks, and fumbling it.  He's already been sacked five times in the first half of this one tonight.

There is no way he gets picked QB1 at this rate.  Might be a buy-low candidate for us if we end up picking late again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's also been something of a nightmare season for Sam Howell.  He's shell shocked.  Spraying the ball high, taking coverage sacks, and fumbling it.  He's already been sacked five times in the first half of this one tonight.

There is no way he gets picked QB1 at this rate.  Might be a buy-low candidate for us if we end up picking late again.

He’s on a terrible team. He’s gonna go somewhere decent now and become a good QB.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I watched only one of Howell's games this season.  But for the short sample, for me Matt Corral has surpassed Howell.   Corral with better mobility, better off script, slightly better arm strength.  But I want to see Corral up against a good defense.  I liked watching Corral at times last year but he was a roller coaster, especially with turnovers.  So far so good this season albeit the season is young. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Rattler fell apart at the seams, too. Their crowd was chanting for his backup. I think that’s nuts, but the dude hasn’t been playing to his potential. Gonna be interesting to see how Corral/Willis among a few others stack up now. There’s been a tremendous shift from the top guys unlike any I’ve seen since I’ve really followed the draft closely. 

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Rattler fell apart at the seams, too. Their crowd was chanting for his backup. I think that’s nuts, but the dude hasn’t been playing to his potential. Gonna be interesting to see how Corral/Willis among a few others stack up now. There’s been a tremendous shift from the top guys unlike any I’ve seen since I’ve really followed the draft closely. 

This draft might see Thibideoux go #1 if a team plays it safe.  

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched only one of Howell's games this season.  But for the short sample, for me Matt Corral has surpassed Howell.   Corral with better mobility, better off script, slightly better arm strength.  But I want to see Corral up against a good defense.  I liked watching Corral at times last year but he was a roller coaster, especially with turnovers.  So far so good this season albeit the season is young. 

In the two games I watched Howell, he has looked lethargic.  Even in the win over UVA, Montgomery seemed to be the better QB on the field that day.

:229:The Rook

27 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Something similar happened to Rattled at the beginning of last year too.  He might be a slow starter who takes a while to get rolling.

I get the feeling from watching Rattler that he's not ready for the NFL and that he should probably stay another year. RS Sophomore is young and his offense isn't clicking.  But I do see the potential with him.  He's the most creative passer in the class IMO.  Arm talent is good and, I don't know about as a runner, but he's got some DeShaun Watson or Kyle Murray in him as a thrower.  He sees throwing lanes through the pressure that are unusual.  And he can hit his spots without squaring up to his target in a way that is special.  And I also think that he's tough and it's good that he's facing adversity and working through it.

11 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

He’s on a terrible team. He’s gonna go somewhere decent now and become a good QB.

They're not that bad.  Their OL has issues but this was a top 25 team.  Howell has been a big reason why they lost, he's been turning it over, holding the ball forever, spraying it, and reading the game wrong.  He's just not playing well right now.

I liked what I saw from him last year, but I think some limitations of his are becoming a lot more clear this season now that Michael Carter and Javonte Williams are gone.  Those dudes held that locker room together.  I think he's not that smart of a QB, and I doubt he's a dynamic leader.

But I also think Mac Brown probably has no clue how to get things fixed for him.

His ceiling is somewhere between Baker Mayfield and Kirk Cousins IMO.  He looks like Baker but he's definitely not as smart or good as Baker was.  It's an OK ceiling, but you better surround him with a dominant run game and defense to have any chance at success because he is a play action QB.