Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

zCommander

10 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Strangely enough, Shannahan's strategy has been the only trully efective one during the last 20 years.

You need to draft TWO potential starters at QB because you need a fail-safe.

History showed Shanny was right in his approach when--even during RG3's magic season--Cousin's came in and won some games for us.

We have NOT followed this approach since.

This is an interesting take....so lets say we pick 4th overall in the 2022 draft, we take QB in the 1st AND 2nd round? Isn't it interesting that no one has ever tried doing it this way with QB's so hard to find? I'm not sure it's ever really worked for anyone besides the Skins where QB's picked in the same draft both went on to have some amount of success? Theoretically, the Eagles with 3 potential 1st round picks next year and two of them likely in the top 10, could pick two QB's in the top 10 to further insure that they got one of them right? This would end up pissing off both QB's they pick but they would obviously end up moving one of them likely for a future 1st round pick? 

Would RR be so bold as to go QB in rounds 1 and 2 if there were two guys sitting there they thought could be franchise QB's? Even better, how bout packaging a #2 and future #3 to move up into the late 1st round to scoop up a 2nd QB so you have the rights to the guy longer? Crazy stuff....desperate stuff......we should try it.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

This is an interesting take....so lets say we pick 4th overall in the 2022 draft, we take QB in the 1st AND 2nd round? Isn't it interesting that no one has ever tried doing it this way with QB's so hard to find? I'm not sure it's ever really worked for anyone besides the Skins where QB's picked in the same draft both went on to have some amount of success? Theoretically, the Eagles with 3 potential 1st round picks next year and two of them likely in the top 10, could pick two QB's in the top 10 to further insure that they got one of them right? This would end up pissing off both QB's they pick but they would obviously end up moving one of them likely for a future 1st round pick? 

Would RR be so bold as to go QB in rounds 1 and 2 if there were two guys sitting there they thought could be franchise QB's? Even better, how bout packaging a #2 and future #3 to move up into the late 1st round to scoop up a 2nd QB so you have the rights to the guy longer? Crazy stuff....desperate stuff......we should try it.

We do a lot of dumb things. This would be in line with said dumb things.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

This is an interesting take....so lets say we pick 4th overall in the 2022 draft, we take QB in the 1st AND 2nd round? Isn't it interesting that no one has ever tried doing it this way with QB's so hard to find? I'm not sure it's ever really worked for anyone besides the Skins where QB's picked in the same draft both went on to have some amount of success?

Well, as a wise man said "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take".

By doubling the amount of shots taken Shanny at least tried to solve our pitiful QB situation of Rex Grossman / John Beck.

He actually got right more than 50% of his shots and ended up with QB intrigue that eventually led to his ousting.

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

We do a lot of dumb things. This would be in line with said dumb things.

I've seen dumber.

Taking two QBs in the upper part of the draft makes sense if we don't over-reach.

We ain't exactly the 90s 49rs with Montana/Young/Bono depth here.

Edited by El Mexican

39 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Well, as a wise man said "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take".

By doubling the amount of shots taken Shanny at least tried to solve our pitiful QB situation of Rex Grossman / John Beck.

He actually got right more than 50% of his shots and ended up with QB intrigue that eventually led to his ousting.

I've seen dumber.

Taking two QBs in the upper part of the draft makes sense if we don't over-reach.

We ain't exactly the 90s 49rs with Montana/Young/Bono depth here.

Yeah but taking one in the first and the second?

6 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

This would be an absolutely stupid thing to do. 

6 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

You can only play one QB at a time. Given the amount of resources it takes to develop a QB, we would instantly be putting one of our early picks in a bad position. Kirk, as a fourth rounder, wasn’t expected to start early in his career. This meant he had an opportunity to ride the bench and learn. A second rounder will not have that benefit.

9 hours ago, tomwvr said:

This would be an absolutely stupid thing to do. 

You can't say it's stupid for sure until you see how it plays out. It's unprecedented and totally unconventional but you get two horses in the barn and then decide which one you want to roll with. The other gets dealt at some point. You could play them both in their rookie years and rotate games or even series. Like I said, it's crazy, out of the box thinking that only a desperate team would really think about doing....that would be us. You just doubled your chances of hitting on a franchise QB and you might have hit on both of them with any luck. 

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

You can't say it's stupid for sure until you see how it plays out. It's unprecedented and totally unconventional but you get two horses in the barn and then decide which one you want to roll with. The other gets dealt at some point. You could play them both in their rookie years and rotate games or even series. Like I said, it's crazy, out of the box thinking that only a desperate team would really think about doing....that would be us. You just doubled your chances of hitting on a franchise QB and you might have hit on both of them with any luck. 

There is only but so many reps to go around, not to mention the psychological side of it where you're telling the other 51 guys, that you're conducting an experiment with their livelihoods.

7 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I mean you responded to my post where I was responding to @kingdaddysuggestion that we take one in the first and second. Did you not even read his post?

I actually responded to both of you, bro. I did read his post.

No biggie.

58 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

It's unprecedented and totally unconventional but you get two horses in the barn and then decide which one you want to roll with.  

Yep. Only that it's not unprecedented. We at least became competitive with this approach by following the aforementioned RG3-Cousins method.

We just KNOW the main guy will get injured. It's a brutal season. 

Why not make the reserve guy a young and hungy QB instead of a journeyman that resolves absolutely nothing in the long run?

As Gibsy said time and time again: "You're only as good as your back-ups".

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I understand your theory but I don't think it would be a good idea. It's one thing to take a QB with your 1st round pick and then another one with a mid to late round pick. There would still possibly be some friction there but it would be abundantly clear who they thought "the guy" was.

If you take a QB in the 1st and 2nd round (or even worse...2 in the 1st round) IMO that's going to cause nothing but problems because each QB will likely be thinking he should be the guy. It's also a bit of a mixed message from a team/organization standpoint.

When you pick a QB who you think is your future you want to put your full weight behind him and completely support him. But if you take a guy in the 1st and then one in the 2nd you're basically saying that your 1st rounder doesn't really have your full confidence and will constantly have to be looking over his shoulder. In "theory" that could make for good competition, but I think in practice it will just end up hurting your QB's development if he doesn't think the team truly believes in him and he has to share every snap with another high pick.

Having a team that fully believes in and supports their new QB is incredibly important, IMO. I doubt Josh Allen would be where he is now if the team didn't consistently express their support and belief in him when he struggled during his first two seasons.

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Or you just wasted two early draft picks. Especially this year where the Qb class is nothing special 

21 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Is this thread even about Fitz anymore?  Everytime I see it bumped, im hoping it's because he's walking without crutches finally

Honestly, I sort of doubt we'll see Fitz back this season. IIRC he was told he should get surgery for the injury but he opted not to and try and let it heal on its own. Historically in the NFL when guys do that it rarely works out, or if it does it will take them much longer to get back on the field. I totally get where he's coming from and letting it heal without surgery could possibly be better in the long run, but short term it's probably going to keep him out for a while.

If it ends up being that he's shelved for the season, I'm curious what his next move would be. I could see him potentially deciding to just retire at that point, but the dude clearly does love playing the game so I could see him trying to come back as well. Though he'd also be looking around for a new contract and that might be tough for a 39 year old QB not named Brady and who is coming off of a season ending injury.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I reckon Fitz would have been productive here. Means nothing now. 

No vet for me in 2022. Draft pick backing up TH.

I would assume we resign Kyle to be backup.  Baring a complete collapse, Taylor enter 22 as the starter. If we draft a qb, the qb will be third string. Giving the rookie time to develop and take over when Taylor is done or can only take us so far. We aren’t spending a 1st round pick on qb.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I would assume we resign Kyle to be backup.  Baring a complete collapse, Taylor enter 22 as the starter. If we draft a qb, the qb will be third string. Giving the rookie time to develop and take over when Taylor is done or can only take us so far. We aren’t spending a 1st round pick on qb.

I think we draft a QB high enough he could compete with Allen for the 2 spot