Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

34 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Gilmore prob goes to Bucs takes a pay cut Brady brings him on board....this league is so dumb. 

The NFL is like the least “star players band together to win a championship” league in the entire American sports landscape lol. It’s very QB driven, which is why the same cast of franchises generally have success each decade, but due to the salary cap, rookie contracts, various tags, and non-guaranteed contracts in FA…honestly the Super Team thing doesn’t happen that much. 

• Like 1

Dunno but seems like not a lot of teams this time of year that could easier afford Gilmore without some maneuvering.

BTW - GMFB is talking about why put the word out on Gilmore now and suggesting Pats would do that to see if they could generate enough interest to actually trade him instead.

image.png.6ac5790c8abe667705e5a99c053b6395.png

Edited by HigSkin

40 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

The QB isn't greedy. He understands he can win by taking a diminished salary. Brady's cap hit this year is 10.5, whereas Cousins is at 31. 

I see the Tom Brady example a lot, but that’s one dude, with a loaded wife and more side money than any other player in the league.  It’s not a realistic scenario to entertain.  Beyond that, it’s not like he’s playing for free.  In order to add Gilmore anywhere near what he wants, it will require more creative cap work by the Bucs FO.  That most likely leads to them mortgaging their future.  Worth it in their case though, with high likelihood to win Super Bowls now.

Literally every other QB is out to get the maximum paper they can.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I see the Tom Brady example a lot, but that’s one dude, with a loaded wife and more side money than any other player in the league.  It’s not a realistic scenario to entertain.  Beyond that, it’s not like he’s playing for free.  In order to add Gilmore anywhere near what he wants, it will require more creative cap work by the Bucs FO.  That most likely leads to them mortgaging their future.  Worth it I. Their case though, with high likelihood to win Super Bowls now.

Literally every other QB is out to get the maximum paper they can.

He can sign for minimum (already getting his guaranteed salary for this year).  You see that often with cuts of veterans in most sports when it’s mid season 

and I’m assuming that $15m a year figure is what he was hoping for with an extension. That the patriots were not willing to go for and not for this year.

Edited by steve09ru

16 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

He can sign for minimum (already getting his guaranteed salary for this year).  You see that often with cuts of veterans in most sports when it’s mid season 

and I’m assuming that $15m a year figure is what he was hoping for with an extension. That the patriots were not willing to go for and not for this year.

Oh, I don't doubt the Bucs will go after him and get him.

My point was about bringing up Brady and how he operates cap-wise, when he's literally the only guy - elite, good, bad, etc. that takes team friendly deals.  But it's not like he's taking vet min so the team can spend $30M elsewhere.  Sure him taking less money helps, but you still have to manage your cap/roster well to make it all work.  As fans, we tend to look at this stuff as if it's simple, when it's not.  The legit cap guys get paid a mint for good reason.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

Stephon Gilmore doesn't fix our shoddy linebacker squad. Call me crazy, but pass. He's 31, all our CBs are under 30. Kendall Fuller was being described as the most expendable here, but he's still only 26. I'd rather ride it out with him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

Stephon Gilmore doesn't fix our shoddy linebacker squad. Call me crazy, but pass. He's 31, all our CBs are under 30. Kendall Fuller was being described as the most expendable here, but he's still only 26. I'd rather ride it out with him.

It might help out shoddy DB squad though. I mean, they have both been putrid. As to Fuller, if you want to be more of a Man coverage group, and Fuller isn't good at it, why keep him, even if he is 26?

I'm not even saying we should do it. I know he's been a excellent corner for NE, but how often do we see guys leave NE and be a shadow of what they were. I'm just throwing it out there, because Fuller has really underperformed, and this might be a way to find a better solution.

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

No he doesn't fix our LB issues.  But Gilmore is a damn good player.  A better secondary helps our D-line.  He will be expensive but I would definitely make a run at him.  

• Like 2

Idk why he couldn’t stick with the Texans but Anthony Miller would be a potential long-term upgrade at slot, Humphries is replacement level and made of glass and Dyami can be moved all around the formation. Miller has also had some injuries though and hasn’t reached his potential, so who knows. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Idk why he couldn’t stick with the Texans but Anthony Miller would be a potential long-term upgrade at slot, Humphries is replacement level and made of glass and Dyami can be moved all around the formation. Miller has also had some injuries though and hasn’t reached his potential, so who knows. 

I would love to have Anthony Miller here. He has flashed at different times with the Bears. He will have different and better options to go to to get more playing time (he should go to Detroit and instantly become their #1 WR with a good QB throwing to him)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

And none of them will ever touch the GOAT. It's not a coincidence. Kirk Cousins would be just fine in this lifetime making a third of his salary. 

So, ummm, what's your point?

That every pro QB should marry a multi-millionaire and make 10's of millions in endorsements, so they can justify taking less money and entrust the GM's of their team to spend the money wisely to increase their chances of winning a championship? 

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So, ummm, what's your point?

That every pro QB should marry a multi-millionaire and make 10's of millions in endorsements, so they can justify taking less money and entrust the GM's of their team to spend the money wisely to increase their chances of winning a championship? 

I didn't say they should marry supermodels, you brought that up. If money is your only concern then take as much as you can. If you're a top tier NFL QB that can get a giant contract, you can get plenty of extra money from endorsements. Mahomes and Rodgers stand out to me as top tier franchise QBs that probably make plenty of money through endorsements. Brady's house has like 500 bathrooms, does that really seem like something everyone needs? I don't know about you but I piss and **** in 2. 

Now if glory is your passion, if winning as many superbowls as possible and cementing your legacy as the best QB the league has ever seen, then yeah maybe taking less money to build a better team around you is the better decision. 

I think what Brady has done is very savy. How many superbowl winning teams have kept all their starters? There's a reason they are able to keep a lot of those guys. 

I'm not saying it's the only winning formula, but it certainly seems to be a good one and one that could allow you to add a good FA after a quarter of the season.

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The NFL is like the least “star players band together to win a championship” league in the entire American sports landscape lol. It’s very QB driven, which is why the same cast of franchises generally have success each decade, but due to the salary cap, rookie contracts, various tags, and non-guaranteed contracts in FA…honestly the Super Team thing doesn’t happen that much. 

I guess on a micro level we have had so many holes on our team for so long that it gets skewed when you compare it to the teams with a QB that are good to decent year in and out.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Humphries has been used sparingly but has been clutch when he's on the field so far this season.

~~

Is that the key to his decline and the answer to a resurgence?  Thoughts?

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

Is that the key to his decline and the answer to a resurgence?  Thoughts?

At the right price why not bring him into see?  Can he be any worse than Bostic was?

I would say we have the perfect coaches to know what we need at LB and to know if he would work here or not but then if they know the position so well why is it still the weakest position group on the team??