Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think he's setting himself up to retire after the season's end.

Hes said plenty of times he wants to play into his 40s and he just saw how much Bradys life improved getting out of NE.  *Highly* doubtful he gets that close to freedom and decides to hang em up.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I think the reworked contract means he’ll actually be a free agent after this season. We wouldn’t have to give up any draft picks or players 

That's the difference for me. If it costs two 1sts, forget it.  If he is a FA, then roll out the red carpet.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Ok, and? Doesn't mean he's getting paid below market value at the moment. He may be in a few years but not now.

In business, when you come to an agreement it needs to be Win-Win.  One party might view the initial signing as a W, while the other gets the W down the line.  In the NFL, depending on the position of the player, forecasting down the line player value is essentially where the organization finds the W or L with extensions.  The player & agent seek FMV, the organization seeks KPIs (key performance indicators).  Whether the player meets or exceeds KPIs, combined with cost:budget (cap) ratio per position will determine whether the contract at signing was a bargain. 

We don't know if it's a bargain at signing, but it could be a steal more likely than an overpayment where Allen's position as % of the salary cap is lower than the value added by exceeding KPIs.  I'd view the extension as a bargain because he's a good player more likely to exceed his performance keys going into his prime. :cheers:

9 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

That's the difference for me. If it costs two 1sts, forget it.  If he is a FA, then roll out the red carpet.

He will not be a free agent.  He is under contract through 2023.  They are scrapping that final year as a concession and will "reevaluate" him after the season...which means trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 86 Snyder said:

He will not be a free agent.  He is under contract through 2023.  They are scrapping that final year as a concession and will "reevaluate" him after the season...which means trade.

Then I would let another team shell out the multiple firsts.  I'd rather devote cap dollars and draft picks to retaining and building around our young core.  If he was 35 and not abrasive, definitely.  But that's not the case.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Then I would let another team shell out the multiple firsts.  I'd rather devote cap dollars and draft picks to retaining and building around our young core.  If he was 35 and not abrasive, definitely.  But that's not the case.

Id do it without hesitation.  The roster is built up now.  If Rodgers was here this year we'd prpbably be the 2nd favorite in the NFC behind the Bucs.  Ill trade picks for a few years of legit Super Bowl window for sure.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 86 Snyder said:

Id do it without hesitation.  The roster is built up now.  If Rodgers was here this year we'd prpbably be the 2nd favorite in the NFC behind the Bucs.  Ill trade picks for a few years of legit Super Bowl window for sure.

If there's ever the time to take a one or two year risk for ridiculous money, it would be when the core of your team is still on their rookie deals. Next year the stars are aligned for him to be our QB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I hear ya, you have a solid argument.  The idea of a HOF elite qb sliding onto a team with a strong defense and relatively good balance  throughout the roster, but has been held back by qb play, is exciting.  If our qb play holds us back again in 2021, I might be with you by December. 

If Fitz has success and is willing to come back, or if TH takes the reins and looks good, I'm not sure the cost/risk for AR would be worth it.  Or if our offense sputters, would turner even be able to maximize Rodgers talents?  Or his replacement implementing a new system if turner gets canned.  

This situation is similar to rounds of shots towards the end of a long night out: it seems like an awesome idea at the time, but before long you wake up in the fetal position and wish you showed better restraint.  Aaron Rodgers is sitting on the rocks singing with the sirens.  Keep paddling Ron, keep straight ahead!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I’d give up 2 firsts for Rodgers right now without even blinking, as ping as Rodgers commits to play here, and he’s on board.  

The goal is to win a SB.  You add a top 3 QB to any team and that team is immediately a conference contender.  We have talent.  It would be a really good 2-3 years.  I’ll take that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Really curious to see the terms on this one. I like Thomas but he’s 30 already and has had one good year. I hope we didn’t overpay but if it’s a reasonable contract we could have possibly locked him up before we’d have to pay him even more next offseason. A little bit of a risk/reward move to do it now. 

The Allen and Thomas re-signings are really good news heading in to camp. I'm so optimistic right now that I'm worried that it's all gonna hit the fan (is that normal or just a WFT thing?)

As for Rodgers, I want to wait and see what we have in Fitz and Heinicke before deciding, but if it's two firsts then I'd definitely think about pulling the trigger, anything more than that then I'm a bit more hesitant.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mojo said:

Smart move.  If Thomas has another similar year this upcoming season, a desperate team would have overpaid to get him.

With the additions at WR this year and more competent QB play, I'm not sure Logan will see the ball as much this year. Though having said that I can also see him getting less attention from defenses and it resulting him getting better looks.

• Like 3

Thomas is so underrated by the rest of the league.  He should have gotten the Probowl nod over Engram.  He was arguably our most consistent offensive weapon last season and made so many clutch catches.  Do yourself a favor and rewatch his highlights from last season.  He's only gonna get better with another year learning the TE role on offense (while retaining a Qb's pick-apart-the-defense mindset). 

He's my number 1 target for fantasy this season and you can get him for a steal.  He's gonna be super involved and will probably have the chance to throw for a few TDs as well on trick plays

Edited by Reaper Skins

24 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Nice move to solidify Logan.  He put in the work. Sounds like a value move, since the $ wasn’t really a big part of announcing it which is usually the case. 

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking too. Doubt we broke the bank or the numbers would have been released already. 

• Like 1