Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jefffedotin/2021/03/11/kansas-city-chiefs-save-more-than-18-million-by-releasing-eric-fisher-and-mitchell-schwartz/amp/

Fisher was a $12M cap hit this year for the Chiefs. He’s now a $9.4M cap hit for the Colts. That’s a marginal drop off coming off a major injury. If he plays well this season (at a 3M discount), then his next contact next offseason is going to be significant. In fact, given the 2 years left on his Chiefs contact, he may actually end up making out better in the process - both short-term and long-term. 

All depends on how he shows up this year. Contact year.

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agreed, you referenced Haskins not me. Nothing about them draws much comparison.

Rivera runs a very tight ship. That’s clear. I’ll take or leave a pursuit of Watson but I wouldn’t automatically assume Rivera would have an available elite/franchise level QB off his board. Popular or not. 

My point was it didn't reflect well on Ron when he played Dwayne after his fiasco. Dwayne on the field is no Watson, but off the field, what he did isn't even in the same hemisphere as what Watson did. Essentially, to me anyways, it's a wash. Greater talent + bigger off field issues = lesser talent + lesser off field issues. In other words, I don't think Ron would even think about trading for Watson unless there's a resolution in the matter.

11 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jefffedotin/2021/03/11/kansas-city-chiefs-save-more-than-18-million-by-releasing-eric-fisher-and-mitchell-schwartz/amp/

Fisher was a $12M cap hit this year for the Chiefs. He’s now a $9.4M cap hit for the Colts. That’s a marginal drop off coming Ia major injury. If he plays well this season (at a 3M discount), then his next contact next offseason is going to be significant. In fact, given the 2 years left on his Chiefs contact, he may actually end up making out better in the process - both short-term and long-term. 

All depends on how he shows up this year. Contact year

Big difference between a LT and a RG though. 

I hope the Morgan release was done to help him find a team early but hopefully he doesn't get bitter and go to an NFC East rival

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Big difference between a LT and a RG though. 

I hope the Morgan release was done to help him find a team early but hopefully he doesn't get bitter and go to an NFC East rival

Scherff is getting $18M this year. Fisher $9.4M. Both 1-year contracts. And Fisher *may* miss games. Not ruled out though.

If Scherff is turning down a long-term contract of $18M/year.... what do you think he’s going to get in his next contract? And Fisher? Supposedly if both played full seasons and performed well.

I’d wager Scherff gets more. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

This just seems odd.  An outright release instead of a possible trade of some sort?  I'm sure there is a reason, but this grew legs and ran quickly.  (or had long been running behind the scenes...)

Edited by Riggo'sRangers
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Scherff is getting $18M this year. Fisher $9.4M. Both 1-year contracts. And Fisher *may* miss games. Not ruled out though.

If Scherff is turning down a long-term contract of $18M/year.... what do you think he’s going to get in his next contract? And Fisher? Supposedly if both played full seasons and performed well.

I’d wager Scherff gets more. 

If Fisher plays well and considering how awful the KC line looked when he went down and was a big part of why they lost the SB, IF Fisher plays the whole season at LT and plays well? He gets more. Right now there's only 2 guards making over 14 and one is on a FT. By contrast there are 15 tackles (which doesn't include Orlando Brown) and all but one are LT. Fisher plays a position that's way more premium. The FT really only effects his value here, but once he's on the open market I don't think he gets close to 18 a year.

12 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

This just seems odd.  An outright release instead of a possible trade of some sort?  I'm sure there is a reason, but this grew legs and ran quickly. 

We got Leno for 5 million.  I'm betting Moses agent asked around and teams want to sign him for less than his current base salary.  So a team can pay him less and not use draft picks.

• Like 1

Just now, PartyPosse said:

If Fisher plays well and considering how awful the KC line looked when he went down and was a big part of why they lost the SB, IF Fisher plays the whole season at LT and plays well? He gets more. Right now there's only 2 guards making over 14 and one is on a FT. By contrast there are 15 tackles (which doesn't include Orlando Brown) and all but one are LT. Fisher plays a position that's way more premium. The FT really only effects his value here, but once he's on the open market I don't think he gets close to 18 a year.

Yes, the position is generally considered a premium. But it’s not a fixed cost. It’s impossible to compare apples-to-apples.

Thuney got $80M for 5 years. Scherff is going to reset the market. Otherwise, he would have signed already.

29 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

This just seems odd.  An outright release instead of a possible trade of some sort?  I'm sure there is a reason, but this grew legs and ran quickly.  (or had long been running behind the scenes...)

Some, including Rapoport who broke the story about them moving on from Moses projected that it would likely end up in a release because he (among others) projected WFT would never get a trade offer for him so they'd be forced to release him.  This happens more times than not for most veterans.  

On another note, Grant IMO is missing the point when he keeps harping about they don't need cap space.  Russell is talking about this now on 980, they have over 20 million on the cap, that money gets rolled over.  They are already projected to be nicely over the cap in 2022.  So they are accruing cap room to add at some point (probably 2022) perhaps a veteran QB and or keep this nucleus on the D line, also Terry's contract will be up soon enough.

Amassing cap room has long term consequences its not just about this given time right now.   We have some angst about can we keep this young nucleus over the long haul and here they are perhaps doing something about it.  That's good not bad. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On another note, Grant IMO is missing the point.  Russell is talking about this now on 980, they have over 20 million on the cap, that money gets rolled over. 

Every journalist covering a major sport should take some sort of class/seminar/something on how that league's salary cap works.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Yes, the position is generally considered a premium. But it’s not a fixed cost. It’s impossible to compare apples-to-apples.

Thuney got $80M for 5 years. Scherff is going to reset the market. Otherwise, he would have signed already.

It is a fixed cost in terms of a valuable LT is always going to make more than a valuable RG. In terms of Thuney, it’s essentially a 3 year 48 million dollar deal. No more guaranteed money after year 3 and the last two years are super low dead cap hits. I’m not even positive he gets the third year, which is only guaranteed for injury now. Scherff will get about the same. 16 a year. He turned down the deal here (allegedly) because the guaranteed money wasn’t up to par.

1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Every journalist covering a major sport should take some sort of class/seminar/something on how that league's salary cap works.

Agree.  Yeah this isn't baseball where you got the luxury tax and the goal is to just get under that number for the year and then you are fine. 

Football has a hard salary cap and more on point your cap saving this year rolls forward.  So its not just about a season to season getting to a certain number -- its about the long haul.    They are setting themselves up nicely on the cap right now.  The Giants and the Cowboys for example are potentially screwed next year when it comes to the cap.

Ron and company did a really nice job upgrading the roster this off season.  We can argue the Giants for example were equally aggressive.  But the difference is we are set up to be aggressive next year too whether its FA or keeping our own or both.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

This team likely has at least 35-40 free agents next season based on the roster right now. Will be interesting to see what the final cuts leave us with in terms of 2022 FA’s.

https://overthecap.com/free-agency/washington-football-team/

31 currently.  If you select 2022 and filter for UFA (snipped below).  Although all 31 won't still be on the team this fall, let alone start of FA next March as you mention.

edit: was already not true when I posted....haha.  30 without Christian.

image.png.1c3655cf65c9c7f0669ed868181a51e0.png

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Nor are their off field issues.

Eric Fisher lost his job and could only get a one year deal. It’s incredibly risky especially for a position that isn’t exactly a priority for teams (as opposed to say Dak signing his deal coming off his injury). 

Fisher is getting paid $10mil and is questionable to start the season. He’s supports my point, in my view. 

Im just not seeing many injury examples, especially great to elite guys. Now if you want to discuss some guys needing to cash in who are good but not great like an Anthony Harris or Kenyon Drake, then okay. But in those cases it may have been the team wanting to steal a year of athletic prime without a long term commitment, which I don’t think is bad business in many cases. 

Edited by wit33

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

It is a fixed cost in terms of a valuable LT is always going to make more than a valuable RG. In terms of Thuney, it’s essentially a 3 year 48 million dollar deal. No more guaranteed money after year 3 and the last two years are super low dead cap hits. I’m not even positive he gets the third year, which is only guaranteed for injury now. Scherff will get about the same. 16 a year. He turned down the deal here (allegedly) because the guaranteed money wasn’t up to par.

Thuney is also a couple of years younger. So there’s a possibility he can see the last 2 years of his contract.

And Thuney got that money in a reduced cap. Next offseason is a whole new ball game. That’s why we’ve seen so many 1year contracts.

Scherff, barring injury, is going to set the new bar.