Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

19 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

People need to learn how the cap works, it makes our fanbase look hysterical and frankly a little ignorant to complain as if the Giants are doing something we couldn’t or breaking the rules in some way, “spirit of the cap” incident from a decade ago or not. They’re restructuring existing contracts and pushing money back into future years, and making the first season of their new signings’ contracts have small cap hits—just like every other team that looked like it may start the offseason tight against the cap. They aren’t circumventing anything, or the spirit of anything. This has nothing to do with us being screwed for not going along with the NFL’s collusion in that uncapped year. Crying about their actions now, which are unrelated and within all rules, just makes us look dumb. 

Exactly.

I mean, **** the Giants, absolutely.

The only violation to spirit of the cap at this moment are voidable years being added to contracts and to my knowledge, they haven't done that.

**** em anyway though.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

People need to learn how the cap works, it makes our fanbase look hysterical and frankly a little ignorant to complain as if the Giants are doing something we couldn’t or breaking the rules in some way, “spirit of the cap” incident from a decade ago or not. They’re restructuring existing contracts and pushing money back into future years, and making the first season of their new signings’ contracts have small cap hits—just like every other team that looked like it may start the offseason tight against the cap. They aren’t circumventing anything, or the spirit of anything. This has nothing to do with us being screwed for not going along with the NFL’s collusion in that uncapped year. Crying about their actions now, which are unrelated and within all rules, just makes us look dumb. 

But I am very stupid.

• Haha 5

It also helps the Giants that they don't seem to have a lot of quality FA's to re-sign in 2022.  So they can push cap over there easily.  Just Jabrill Peppers and a 5th year option for Saquon.  Will Hernandez likely isn't getting much or might not be back at all, and Engram is likely walking after they brought in Rudolph.

Gettleman going for executive of the year.

The Giants win the fiercest bidding war of the off season..against themselves. lol

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/22/giants-may-have-been-bidding-against-themselves-for-kenny-golladay/amp/

”So here’s the question: In paying Golladay $18 million per year, which team(s) were the Giants competing against?

Based on discussions with multiple sources, the answer seems to be no one. The Bengals, we’re told, were willing to pay $13 million per year. The Bears, as reported by Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, were in the range of $11 million to $12 million per year. We’re currently aware of no one who was pushing for Golladay at $14 million, $15 million, $16 million, $17 million, $17.5 million, and/or $17.99 million per year.

The Ravens were mentioned as potential candidates for Golladay, but that seems to be a smokescreen aimed at enhancing the team’s effort to get receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster. (He eventually took less to stay in Pittsburgh.)

In New York’s defense, it’s impossible to have certainty or clear reliability when trying to close a deal. The price is the price, even if the alternative wasn’t some other team. If Golladay wasn’t going to take less than $18 million per year from the Giants, the Giants needed to pay $18 million per year to get him.

It’s no different than what New York’s other team did two years ago, paying $13.5 million per year to running back Le’Veon Bell at a time when no one else was at $10 million or more. The price was the price, and the Jets paid it. (In that case, false claims of Baltimore interest in Bell helped seal the deal with the Jets.)

The Giants surely hope that the Golladay deal will work out better than the Bell deal did for the Jets. It can’t work out much worse.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

You buy in on FAs if your team is already solid and shows signs of making a push. Throwing a bunch of mercenaries onto a 6-10 team without a proven QB is a one way ticket to a first round out and a worse draft pick. We were already in that position before we added our QB and Curtis Samuel. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carex said:

we have five DT on the roster currently.  Three have shown starting quality, one is a damn good backup, one is a former first round pick who has yet to play in this system.  If BPA is a DT do we still select a DT despite the fact in would mean cutting one of these guys?

Could use another hybrid guy like Smith-Williams, we definitely need DE depth for the season. I'm going to say one of the DTs get traded for a draft pick as well. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

But it is a shady process and within the limits just like us and the cowboys were years back.  No one is saying they are getting a free pass.  The question is around how they are able to structure all of this and fit within the limits (which was only just recently answered and very vaguely at that).  They came into the offseason at less thank 500k in space and are 10M over at this point.  They’re front loading contracts with signing bonuses knowing the cap is going up.  They are doing nothing different than we did but it’s ok now.  I think that is the whole point- especially give. That it was Mara that pushed those penalties

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

But it is a shady process and within the limits just like us and the cowboys were years back.  No one is saying they are getting a free pass.  The question is around how they are able to structure all of this and fit within the limits (which was only just recently answered and very vaguely at that).  They came into the offseason at less thank 500k in space and are 10M over at this point.  They’re front loading contracts with signing bonuses knowing the cap is going up.  They are doing nothing different than we did but it’s ok now.  I think that is the whole point- especially give. That it was Mara that pushed those penalties

False.  Our penalty in 2012 was entirely fabricated and a travesty of epic proportions, but the Gnats haven't done anything nefarious with their contracts this offseason.  They are backloading contracts and restructuring contracts just as every team does.

If you have cash, the cap is basically a myth.  The only dirty pool available right now is adding say two or three voidable years to a contract, which spreads the signing bonus over the equivalent period of time, thus minimizing the cap hit in year 1.  Which is exactly what Pittsburgh did after years of railing against said practice.  You wanna be mad at someone, look at the Stealers.

I get it's annoying but it's cap management 101.

Our situation was an abomination because they explicitly said it was an uncapped year, then colluded to say "yeah but you can't act that way", then whacked us when acted that way.  There's a political analogy and it's taking every ounce of me not to spell it out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Lol Giants fan losing their minds on Twitter, claiming Adoree is a top 4 corner in the NFL

And here's the flipside...we got Samuel for basically 60% of Golladay and he may actually have a bigger impact, amd we got Jackson for basically the same as Adoree amd almost everyone thinks our guy is much better.  We'll have to see but I'd take our guys.  Giants will be an annoying opponent next year and as has been pointed out, own us by a mile lately.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

False.  Our penalty in 2012 was entirely fabricated and a travesty of epic proportions, but the Gnats haven't done anything nefarious with their contracts this offseason.  They are backloading contracts and restructuring contracts just as every team does.

If you have cash, the cap is basically a myth.  The only dirty pool available right now is adding say two or three voidable years to a contract, which spreads the signing bonus over the equivalent period of time, thus minimizing the cap hit in year 1.  Which is exactly what Pittsburgh did after years of railing against said practice.  You wanna be mad at someone, look at the Stealers.

Our situation was an abomination because they explicitly said it was an uncapped year, then colluded to say "yeah but you can't act that way", then whacked us when acted that way.  There's a political analogy and it's taking every ounce of me not to spell it out.

Correct- I’m not saying they are doing anything wrong.  I’m just stating how annoying/ridiculous it is that it’s perfectly fine for them to frontload these contracts knowing the cap is going to spike which isthe same situation we were in.  They are loading up signing bonuses and still allowing for manageable cap hits in future years.

any other team I’d be a little less irritated but this is the same guy who screwed us over for 3+ seasons doing the exact same thing in terms of front loading to open up space for and expanded cap season in the future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Trai Turner you say? Interesting. I mean, he’d improve our football team but wasn’t expecting us to be in the market for a multi-time pro bowl guard.

I wouldn't mind him for < $5M. Dude has had multiple concussions and his play has fallen off. Wouldn't sign him for anything more than a 1 year deal

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Correct- I’m not saying they are doing anything wrong.  I’m just stating how annoying/ridiculous it is that it’s perfectly fine for them to frontload these contracts knowing the cap is going to spike which isthe same situation we were in.  They are loading up signing bonuses and still allowing for manageable cap hits in future years.

any other team I’d be a little less irritated but this is the same guy who screwed us over for 3+ seasons doing the exact same thing in terms of front loading to open up space for and expanded cap season in the future.

I mean, you're definitely right.  Its just the one year where the owners all colluded to say "were not gonna do that" and we did it anyway.  Seems like you get that and are objecting to the obvious hypocrisy.

So I guess we are in agreement, but there's no point in complaining because it's going to continue to happen until the end of time lol.  Which proves 1- it was BS and 2- IT WAS STRAIGHT UP OBVIOUS COLLUSION AMONGST LEAGUE OWNERS...which is just not okay but a thing that can and will happen whenever it suits their interests.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

It’s the reason the owners won’t get rid of Snyder in my tin-foil hat opinion.  He has the goods on the rest of the owners (minus Jerry) colluding in the uncap year.

5 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

It’s the reason the owners won’t get rid of Snyder in my tin-foil hat opinion.  He has the goods on the rest of the owners (minus Jerry) colluding in the uncap year.

I was all set to object but you could be in to something there.  I still think if 30ish billionaires want to squash another billionaire they'll figure out how to do it, but interesting theory nonetheless.

14 minutes ago, Sacks &#x27;n&#x27; Stuff said:

Trai Turner you say? Interesting. I mean, he’d improve our football team but wasn’t expecting us to be in the market for a multi-time pro bowl guard.

Makes you wonder if they're going after a guard what the plan is for Sahdiq Charles. I thought he was being groomed to be a Guard. With Schweitzer and Scherff already there plus Martin (who I think gets cut) perhaps they are going to give Charles a shot at LT after all. 

• Like 1