Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

Something to think about :

If Kyle Allen had never injured his foot last year, there is a very good chance he would be the starter right now, and been the one to replace Fitz.

As it probably would have meant that Heinicke probably wouldn't have gotten that chance against Tampa, and not had his talent "discovered".

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If Kyle Allen had never injured his foot last year, there is a very good chance he would be the starter right now, and been the one to replace Fitz.

As it probably would have meant that Heinicke probably wouldn't have gotten that chance against Tampa, and not had his talent "discovered".

Sometimes when the stars align destinies are changed. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Sometimes when the stars align destinies are changed. :)

If he manages to go on to be a real presence in the NFL can you imagine how many times we are going to see that shot of him going over the pylon in the Tampa game? The sports media loves his kind of story.

• Like 1

Not really a WFT fan even though I live here and found this site looking for info on Heinicke. Didnt know anything about him until last night. This is really a weird story listening last night. Its like some random regular sized guy gets a random call and the next thing he knows he is playing QB in the NFL. I doubt this can last and I think he even knows it the way he went crazy about the win, like I may never play Mon night football again. He is like living a dream playing all these star QBs that none of them know who the heck he is.  After hearing the story I noticed after the game when he was walking around nobody knew him.

Might try to take the family out see him this season.

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, TChaler70 said:

Not really a WFT fan even though I live here and found this site looking for info on Heinicke. Didnt know anything about him until last night. This is really a weird story listening last night. Its like some random regular sized guy gets a random call and the next thing he knows he is playing QB in the NFL. I doubt this can last and I think he even knows it the way he went crazy about the win, like I may never play Mon night football again. He is like living a dream playing all these star QBs that none of them know who the heck he is.  After hearing the story I noticed after the game when he was walking around nobody knew him.

Wilson didn't know him know him. Brady knew him when he was with him in New England. Cam knew him when he was in Carolina. But everyone saw him play Tampa in the playoff game last year. He played that game like he was never going to get another chance. If he hadn't done that then he wouldn't had a chance this year. I like that he plays every game like it is his last. He knows in heart he is a good QB but no one has ever given him the chance to do what he is doing right now. 

When he called Turner and asked him if there is a coaching job available Turner told him to hang on and called him for the Covid emergency backup QB instead. That call has changed his life forever. 

After seeing him in the playoff game I really wanted him to start 2021. When we signed Fitz I was okay with it. The coaches didn't even knew what they had until he became the starter. He might still get replaced. It will all depend on how he finishes the season. I am hoping he plays really good football in the next 6 games, especially the divisional games. That can set the tone for his return as the starter next year too. 

By the way, what football team are you fan of? If you don't mind me asking that is. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, zskins said:

Wilson didn't know him know him. Brady knew him when he was with him in New England. Cam knew him when he was in Carolina. But everyone saw him play Tampa in the playoff game last year. He played that game like he was never going to get another chance. If he hadn't done that then he wouldn't had a chance this year. I like that he plays every game like it is his last. He knows in heart he is a good QB but no one has ever given him the chance to do what he is doing right now. 

When he called Turner and asked him if there is a coaching job available Turner told him to hang on and called him for the Covid emergency backup QB instead. That call has changed his life forever. 

After seeing him in the playoff game I really wanted him to start 2021. When we signed Fitz I was okay with it. The coaches didn't even knew what they had until he became the starter. He might still get replaced. It will all depend on how he finishes the season. I am hoping he plays really good football in the next 6 games, especially the divisional games. That can set the tone for his return as the starter next year too. 

By the way, what football team are you fan of? If you don't mind me asking that is. 

Hey thanks, great write up. Thats the info someone needs looking to understand the story. Looking on the net it sounds like a hard worker, saw some videos of his workouts.

Not really a NFL fan watch it in passing more of a baseball fan and F1 fan, Johnny Bench was my favorite player. Like I posted think we might try to get out and see him, this story has a cool underdog theme to it. Wish the guy the best, this gives me something to watch and follow.

• Like 4

TH reminds me of Babe Laufenberg, another WFT QB who was a scrapper and always fun to watch. After he finished his stint (s) in Washington, he went on to play for the Saints and even started for the Chargers for a while. For those who don't remember him (with some excerpts below):

https://fansided.com/2014/07/30/babe-laufenberg-washington-redskins-preseason-legend/

>>...He is without question, the most popular player in Redskins history, never to have taken a regular season snap.

Branden Hugh “Babe” Laufenberg was already something of a never-say-die legend when he arrived in the Nation’s Capital as the defending Super Bowl champion’s sixth-round draft pick out of Indiana in 1983. When he graduated from a Los Angeles area high school in 1977, Bill Walsh landed Laufenberg at Stanford, telling him he was the best high school quarterback in the state of California.  But after a redshirt year, Laufenberg fell behind a true freshman on the depth chart...

...Laufenberg left, making a brief stop at Missouri, before landing at Pierce Junior College in LA.  The odds said that’s where Laufenberg would likely take his place in a long line of high school hotshots who couldn’t cut it at the next level.  That’s not what happened.  He played well enough to draw the attention of coach who’s now known for the line, “Not so fast my friend.”  Lee Corso, who now makes his living putting on the mascot heads of the teams he picks to win the game of the day on ESPN’s very popular “College Football Gameday Show”, signed Laufenberg to play at Indiana.  And he played well enough to wind up in Washington, where they weren’t exactly hurting at quarterback.  Joe Theismann had just led the Redskins to their first Super Bowl championship and would be named NFC offensive player of the year the following season.  But Theismann had reached his mid-30’s by then and the idea of trying to develop a young quarterback behind him with similar moxie seemed like a good idea.

Making the team, though, was no sure thing.  Behind Theismann, the Redskins had Bob Holly, who’d been drafted the year before.  Coach Joe Gibbs usually didn’t keep three quarterbacks. But in the third preseason game, a Super Bowl rematch against Miami, Laufenberg got some second-half playing time and delivered.  He was 9 of 17 for 86 yards and the Redskins to their only score in a 38-7 loss.  That cemented his spot on the team, though he never saw the field in the regular season or playoffs with Theismann taking almost every snap.

A year later, the Redskins drafted another quarterback, Jay Schroeder from UCLA, and again it looked like Laufenberg might be the odd man out.  But once again in the third exhibition game, he got his time to shine once again, and delivered.  Down two scores when he came in against New England in the 4th quarter, Laufenberg went 10 of 17 for 184 yards, leading the Skins to a thrilling 31-27 victory.  Said Gibbs after the game, “I thought Babe really competed at the end and showed he’s a fighter.”  Once again, Laufenberg survived the final cuts, but once again didn’t take a single regular season snap.

One year later, 1985, Laufenberg again needed a spectacular performance to stick.  And again in the third preseason game, again against New England at home, he delivered.  Down 13 points in the 4th quarter, Laufenberg went 12 of 21 for 200 yards, including two touchdown passes – one for 75 yards to Gary Clark and the 25 yard game-winner to Clint Didier with four seconds left for a 37-36 win.  Said the Babe after the game, “I certainly think I helped my cause.”  Said Gibbs, “It may have made the decision difficult.”

Difficult though the decision may have been, alas Laufenberg was cut.  His Redskin story may have ended there, but in reality it was just starting to get good.  After failing to catch on with another team, he planned a mid-November vacation to Cabo San Lucas and happened to be there when the Redskins played a Monday night game against the New York Giants.  Wanting to watch his old team play and not having a television in his hotel room, he headed to the only bar in town that had one – The Giggling Marlin.

Known for their upside down tequila shots, Laufenberg was enjoying one, when he glanced up at the TV (upside down of course) and saw that Theismann had gone down with a broken leg. He thought to himself, “Gee I wonder if the Redskins might want to get a hold of me.”

Never mind it was the pre-cellphone era, there was only one telephone in Cabo at the time and it sat in the Post Office.  That’s where he headed the next morning and was told by Redskins General Manager Bobby Beathard on the phone, “Yes.  Get here as quickly as you can.”

Laufenberg finished out the year watching Schroeder take every snap.  Theismann’s career was ended by the injury and with the USFL folding, Doug Williams arrived in 1986 to be Schroeder’s backup.  Still there would be time for one more magical August night for the Babe.  Getting action this time in the second preseason game, the Redskins trailed Pittsburgh 24-10 when Laufenberg stepped into the huddle in the 4th quarter.  And just like the last three Augusts, fireworks followed.  Laufenberg threw for 182 yards to send the game into overtime and led drive that set up Mark Moseley’s 51-yard game winning field goal.

Though it was now four-straight years of heroics, most knew his release was inevitable.  A local television station launched a “Save the Babe” campaign, but it was all for naught.  Babe Laufenberg was cut by the Redskins for the final time.  Over?  Who said anything about over?,,,<<

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, TChaler70 said:

You’re right about his discovery, he got a call and a month later he was starting in a playoff game.

the kid plays and reacts with the same intensity regardless of MNF. He has moxy, athleticism, thrives under pressure, high football IQ, just lacking that golden arm. 

he’s signed for two years, he’ll be in the league a while. 

• Like 1

You guys remind me of this girl in highschool who had a list of traits that her future husband HAD to have in order for her to marry him. It was literally an entire page of superficial, specific descriptions that no human on Earth would ever possess. Some of you sound like that girl...I wish I knew if she was married today.

A lot of you remind me of that girl, you have a guy right here who is willing to do anything for you and can be successful at it and you want to gamble on an unknown...because of arm strength? Because of his height? Because he's injury prone? The only people who seem to have a problem with that is the arm chair QBs sitting at home, everyone on the team, everyone on the inside seem to be just fine with him. The only reason why we're even debating whether he should start next year is because he was undrafted. 

Also, stop comparing him to Alex Smith, he's nothing like Smith. Don't think I forgot how depressed this board would get when we got behind with Alex Smith or had to go down the field and score to win. If we weren't winning by the half, the game was over. TH ALWAYS gives you a chance to win, the only team to really put a beating on us so far was Buffalo and even they aren't invincible. Josh Allen has had some absolutely horrific games, but no one is screaming for him to be replaced.

If you want to draft a guy in the off season, fine, go for it. However, I think it would be a great disservice to the team to bring in some vet to automatically take the spot. The coaches can obviously scheme around his "short comings" and all of his positive traits can't be taught. I'd rather roll with Taylor than go with some variable because he can throw the ball harder.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 2

People need to stop saying the reason folks want to replace him is because he's undrafted. 

Its not, during that four game losing streak he was starting to look like jus another QB on a long list of QBs we've tried the last 30 years. 

During this win streak hes been much better, but if he does want to start next year he has to finish strong.

He can't have another stretch like he did going into the bye week, Rivera is demanding consistency from that position for a reason.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

People need to stop saying the reason folks want to replace him is because he's undrafted. 

Its not, during that four game losing streak he was starting to look like jus another QB on a long list of QBs we've tried the last 30 years. 

During this win streak hes been much better, but if he does want to start next year he has to finish strong.

He can't have another stretch like he did going into the bye week, Rivera is demanding consistency from that position for a reason.

TH need finish 4-2 or better to go into the starter. Still think they will draft someone to develop. If he goes 3-3 or worse, that draft pick will be competing for the starting job.

5 hours ago, Simmsy said:

You guys remind me of this girl in highschool who had a list of traits that her future husband HAD to have in order for her to marry him. It was literally an entire page of superficial, specific descriptions that no human on Earth would ever possess. Some of you sound like that girl...I wish I knew if she was married today.

A lot of you remind me of that girl, you have a guy right here who is willing to do anything for you and can be successful at it and you want to gamble on an unknown...because of arm strength? Because of his height? Because he's injury prone? The only people who seem to have a problem with that is the arm chair QBs sitting at home, everyone on the team, everyone on the inside seem to be just fine with him. The only reason why we're even debating whether he should start next year is because he was undrafted. 

Also, stop comparing him to Alex Smith, he's nothing like Smith. Don't think I forgot how depressed this board would get when we got behind with Alex Smith or had to go down the field and score to win. If we weren't winning by the half, the game was over. TH ALWAYS gives you a chance to win, the only team to really put a beating on us so far was Buffalo and even they aren't invincible. Josh Allen has had some absolutely horrific games, but no one is screaming for him to be replaced.

If you want to draft a guy in the off season, fine, go for it. However, I think it would be a great disservice to the team to bring in some vet to automatically take the spot. The coaches can obviously scheme around his "short comings" and all of his positive traits can't be taught. I'd rather roll with Taylor than go with some variable because he can throw the ball harder.

Another analogy- she has all the traits you are looking for but she is not pretty. I have a solution for that. Just turn off the lights and enjoy the sex. ;)

Edited by zskins
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The bottom line...

Taylor Heinicke does not have everything you want in a QB.

But he has everything you need in a QB.

If you find what you need, you keep it, and not worry so much about what you want.

Yeah.....what he said. 

4 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

TH need finish 4-2 or better to go into the starter. Still think they will draft someone to develop. If he goes 3-3 or worse, that draft pick will be competing for the starting job.

Not sure it's that simple. There is also how they win/lose. If he plays well but the team loses due to poor D or STs, then he is not the problem. 

For me, he has certainly earned the right to finish the year. Unless he falls apart, which seems unlikely, he should go into next year as the starter unless they go all out and bring in an Aaron Rogers (not interested myself) or Russell Wilson (will be healed by then and fits this Offence really well). I would not make those moves so not suggesting they should. Just saying IF they do then they become the starter. I prefer they look to the draft. 

What Taylor has done for sure is given the team the luxury of having options for next year. Until Taylor emerged you felt like Ron had to do something to get a legitimate franchise QB. While Taylor has his limitations - they have found a formula that works for him and the rest of the team. They are playing such complementary football right now. 

If they beat LV I love our chances to make the POs and maybe even make some noise. Going to be a hard road if not, especially when you consider we play 5 division games in a row.

One thing is for sure, they are fun to watch again. And that is largely due to Taylor - although the defensive surge has helped. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zskins said:

Another analogy- she has all the traits you are looking for but she is not pretty. I have a solution for that. Just turn off the lights and enjoy the sex. ;)

More like she has all the traits you’re looking for, but she’s not the captain of the cheerleading squad. The sex is amazing AND she looks great with the lights on, just stop thinking about that freaking cheerleader and you’ll enjoy it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zskins said:

I don’t know man if we turn all the lights out in the stadium during the games I think that might be a problem atleast for the late games. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

People like pedigree.

A long time ago, I saw a quote from a player and I can't remember who it was.  Can't even remember the sport.  But it was a guy who was undrafted, or drafted very low.  And he was a good player.  But he was like "Even though I've been here for a bit and I've proven myself, I still know that people are quick to write me off because I wasn't drafted.  I've got to take every opportunity to show that I can play.  Someone that's a first overall pick gets every opportunity to show that they can't play."

It sucks, but it's true.  I mean, say Heinicke was some guy that we drafted in the 2nd round and he started playing like this.  Yes, he still had a weak arm, yes he still made some questionable decisions....but he'd strung a few really good games together after a rocky start and was trending upwards.  I'm willing to bet the conversation about Heinicke would be vastly different.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 4

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:
  On 11/30/2021 at 1:13 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

The bottom line...

Taylor Heinicke does not have everything you want in a QB.

But he has everything you need in a QB.

If you find what you need, you keep it, and not worry so much about what you want.

Yeah.....what he said. 

Thats some straight up mind f...   zen s...  right there!

18 hours ago, TChaler70 said:

Not really a WFT fan even though I live here and found this site looking for info on Heinicke. Didnt know anything about him until last night. This is really a weird story listening last night. Its like some random regular sized guy gets a random call and the next thing he knows he is playing QB in the NFL. 

well there is a bit of background story that makes this even more like a movie storyline.

TH did go undrafted but the only NFL coachthat went to check out TH’s pro day was Scott Turner and Turner had TH with him in few stops previously to coming to WAS.   

TH said he called up Scott Turner see if he can get a job as an intern or anything to get a foot in the door.  Apparently Turner told him to just hold off on his coaching career because they might need to someone for COVID emergency QB.

little later, WAS QBs get knicked up and DEN has a game without a single QB due to COVID….  Then finally all stars aligned and TH got the call!

so definitely not a random call but still very improbable connection to Scott Turner and improbable situation (COVID and Den QB situation)

a definite movie material!

21 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If it weren't for Dwayne partying with strippers Taylor would still be sitting at home.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1