Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

Even if not a rookie. If this were the Alex Smith deal, or McNabb deal or Brunell deal or any of the other old QBs we've brought in here and they were putting up these numbers in their first year here, it'd be a success. Heck if this was just a Fitz, it's a success. But because it's a young guy with no name, everything must be over evaluated to the point of exhaustion

Remember last year when we were all saying that our QB play was so poor that we couldn't even evaluate our young WR's because we couldn't get them the ball? Fast forward to this season and TH is spreading the ball out to everyone. Now we're starting to hear comparisons to retired guys who had success. This kid is for real, just keep surrounding him with talent and keep him healthy. 

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It seems like there is so much talk (not from you) about the few things that he doesn't have, rather than the many great things he does possess.

He possesses so many great intangibles, that are very hard to find ; special things we havn't seen in a QB in a long time.

One huge intangible TH has is the confidence of his teammates. He doesn't quit and works hard. The coaches and teammates see it and he also produces. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

Unfortunately I think some people are prisoner to the last couple of games. But still, to entertain your scenario...

I think a lot of those are washes, but I doubt most GMs would take Heinicke over Zach Wilson, Trevor Lawrence, or Justin Fields. The key things there are upside and age. Wilson, Lawrence, and Fields have the potential upside of elite QBs. IMO Heinicke's potential is middle of the pack NFL QB. I really don't think he has the upside of being one of the true upper echelon passers.

So as a coach or GM you have to weigh what's important to you. Do you want a young guy with the upside of a top 3 QB who could potentially help make your team a perennial contender for 10-15 years or do you want the 28 year old who's pretty good now, is fun to watch, and has some great moments but overall doesn't have that same upside and is more likely to be a middle or lower teir guy at the end of the day?

Yes if the young guy with upside ends up being a major bust, it will be much worse...but at the end of the day being 3-13 and 7-9 both have the same result: you're sitting at home watching the playoffs and Super Bowl on your couch instead of playing in it. At least at 3-13 you'l lhave another chance at drafting a top prospect.

Yes I'm sure some people will disagree and try to make the case that Heinicke does have the elite potential, but as of now I don't see it and I don't think most coaches would see it either.

Fair points here. For me it comes down to, although Heinicke might have some physical limitations that keep him as a middle of the road QB, his athleticism, fire, confidence, competitiveness and leadership are very high end. So, if you take a guy who is a baller, but  might have some physical limitations, but at the same time has high echelon intangibles, what you have is a very good QB. The question for me now becomes is it sustainable and can he keep it going? Only time will tell.   

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

Unfortunately I think some people are prisoner to the last couple of games. But still, to entertain your scenario...

I think a lot of those are washes, but I doubt most GMs would take Heinicke over Zach Wilson, Trevor Lawrence, or Justin Fields. The key things there are upside and age. Wilson, Lawrence, and Fields have the potential upside of elite QBs. IMO Heinicke's potential is middle of the pack NFL QB. I really don't think he has the upside of being one of the true upper echelon passers.

So as a coach or GM you have to weigh what's important to you. Do you want a young guy with the upside of a top 3 QB who could potentially help make your team a perennial contender for 10-15 years or do you want the 28 year old who's pretty good now, is fun to watch, and has some great moments but overall doesn't have that same upside and is more likely to be a middle or lower teir guy at the end of the day?

Yes if the young guy with upside ends up being a major bust, it will be much worse...but at the end of the day being 3-13 and 7-9 both have the same result: you're sitting at home watching the playoffs and Super Bowl on your couch instead of playing in it. At least at 3-13 you'l lhave another chance at drafting a top prospect.

Yes I'm sure some people will disagree and try to make the case that Heinicke does have the elite potential, but as of now I don't see it and I don't think most coaches would see it either.

This is only partially true. How long do you want potential? Ramsey had potential, so did Campbell. So did George. So did Sanchez. So did Darnold. We see Wilson, Lawrence and Fields right now and their rookie years are leagues below Herbert and Burrow. If we were evaluating those two I would say their potential after the rookie years is worth it, but do you want to take potential of a guy putting it all together vs a guy who is playing well right now? 

I'm just supposing that we arrive at the end of the season making the playoffs with something like a 9-8 record (I know that's assuming a lot) with Heinicke throwing for 4000 yards (he's on pace for 4063), 25 TDs (he's on pace for 25.5), and 15 INTs (he's on pace for 15.3). Now to me that's a lot to build on and worth keeping him as the starter. Its definitely not the minimum that he has to do as winning is a team sport and we lost for a variety of reasons (including Gibson's fumble in week 1).

But if he can do this then he belongs in a certain conversation and its not the conversation saying that he's an elite backup but not a starter. He would be right around a mid level starter. Heck, I'd argue that he's there right now. People are looking at W/L but he has only really played one or two bad games this year (NO and Denver) but he was the main reason we won all our games. with 3 GWDs. Dude has a 91 rating this year. He has 4 games with a 100+ rating, 7 games with an 80+ rating. 

He's 16th in yards, 14th in TDs, 15th in 1st downs (passing), 18th in YPA, 12th in Rating, 22nd in QBR, 6th in 4th quarter Comebacks with 2, and 4th in GWDs with 3. 

That's a middle of the pack QB for a first year starter. These guys you're naming could be Sam Darnold in the making or Blake Bortels or a bunch of other first round busts who have had a high draft profile and thus got lots of chances. Look at Daniel Jones last night and how they're STILL waiting for him to reach his potential. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, mistertim said:

In my mind there isn't a huge difference between having a middle of the pack QB and being a consistently average team that could sneak into the playoffs once or twice (but then get eliminated), and a team with a crappy QB and a crappy record. Neither one of those teams is likely to win a SB and neither one of those QBs is going to be a guy who helps make you a perennial contender for the next 10-15 years.

Sure, having a decent QB is definitely more fun to watch, especially if it's a guy like Heinicke. But that doesn't change the fact that you're unlikely to be a long term contender with that guy and you'll also probably never be quite bad enough to be able to draft a top tier QB without selling the farm in future picks. That's why teams keep trying to find that true top tier QB. That's why Miami moved on from Tannehill and why teams just keep drafting QBs over and over.

The thing is you will always call your QB a middle of the pack QB who can't win until they win one. How many QBs actually win a SB? Rivers never won one. Ryan hasn't won one. Stafford - nope. Romo didn't. Moon - nope.

But Flacco (same draft as Ryan and always considered a lesser QB) bet on himself that year and took his team to the SB where he beat Brady on the way. But he's still not considered elite. Was McNabb elite in Philly? He won the division all those years and had them in the championship game 5 times. 

This is such a wishy washy argument because while the goal is winning the super bowl, there is a process to that. The easiest process to that is winning the division, consistently. And if the goal post for Taylor is now that he can never win a SB then its just not fair for him because who can win a SB? There's no formula for it. What we're seeing from Heinicke is that minus two games (NO and Denver) he has some consistency to his game where he can move the offense and put us in scoring positions. 

If Heinicke can get us to the playoffs this year he should definitely be the starter next year and probably get an extension. If not then we should be evaluating the position and probably draft a first rounder to develop behind him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

The thing is you will always call your QB a middle of the pack QB who can't win until they win one. How many QBs actually win a SB? Rivers never won one. Ryan hasn't won one. Stafford - nope. Romo didn't. Moon - nope.

But Flacco (same draft as Ryan and always considered a lesser QB) bet on himself that year and took his team to the SB where he beat Brady on the way. But he's still not considered elite. Was McNabb elite in Philly? He won the division all those years and had them in the championship game 5 times. 

This is such a wishy washy argument because while the goal is winning the super bowl, there is a process to that. The easiest process to that is winning the division, consistently. And if the goal post for Taylor is now that he can never win a SB then its just not fair for him because who can win a SB? There's no formula for it. What we're seeing from Heinicke is that minus two games (NO and Denver) he has some consistency to his game where he can move the offense and put us in scoring positions. 

If Heinicke can get us to the playoffs this year he should definitely be the starter next year and probably get an extension. If not then we should be evaluating the position and probably draft a first rounder to develop behind him. 

The formula nowadays for being a team that could be a threat to go all the way every year over a long period of time is pretty well known: have a top QB. Sure, it doesn't guarantee you a SB, but the teams with elite QBs are contenders almost every year. Teams with average QBs usually have to have a fluke year where all of the planets align.

The teams with average QBs who go to the SB are pretty much universally one and done. I'd much prefer to be a team that is in the mix every season over a 10-15 year period. And for that you need your QB.

This isn't a mystery or an off the wall hypothesis. Coaches know it. GMs know it. Owners know it. They pretty much explicitly acknowledge it as well as implicitly acknowledge it by continuing to look for QBs and drafting them high when they don't have one.

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The formula nowadays for being a team that could be a threat to go all the way every year over a long period of time is pretty well known: have a top QB. Sure, it doesn't guarantee you a SB, but the teams with elite QBs are contenders almost every year. Teams with average QBs usually have to have a fluke year where all of the planets align.

The teams with average QBs who go to the SB are pretty much universally one and done. I'd much prefer to be a team that is in the mix every season over a 10-15 year period. And for that you need your QB.

This isn't a mystery or an off the wall hypothesis. Coaches know it. GMs know it. Owners know it. They pretty much explicitly acknowledge it as well as implicitly acknowledge it by continuing to look for QBs and drafting them high when they don't have one.

Its a mystery because we don't know who will be in it this year. That's why the rams gave up everything for Stafford (who has never won anything) but they think he can because he has all the tools. But he never did it with Detroit and we don't know how he'll do in the playoffs or in prime time. Tennessee is betting everything on Tannehill and they have lost so far. Does that mean that Tannehill doesn't deserve to be a starter? Pittsburgh has bet it all on Ben but he hasn't won in what 15 years? Heck Rodger hasn't won in 15 years. Its a lot of things coming together, one of them being a good to great QB but Wilson was thought to be a QB that couldn't win it all until he won it. Same with Brees. These two were doubted because of their size. But they won. Now that "formua" has changed and Murray is not doubted as much. But is Jackson a SB caliber QB? He hasn't won one and hasn't won much in the playoffs. 

First a QB needs to show they can make the playoffs (that's what I want Heinicke to do this year). Then they need to show they can win in the playoffs and thats a big hurdle to cross that many never cross and if Heinicke doesn't cross that but can continue to take us to the playoffs then I don't mind that being where he levels out. But we see these QBs on SB caliber teams that are now competing to show that they are not just good but SB level QBs. Allen, Herbert, Jackson, Prescott, Cousins, Stafford, Tannehill, Murray, etc. None of these guys have won it all. That doesn't mean they're not franchise guys because they have their teams competing for that spot consistently. Heinicke needs to show us he can compete with these teams, and so far he hasn't disappointed me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Its a mystery because we don't know who will be in it this year. That's why the rams gave up everything for Stafford (who has never won anything) but they think he can because he has all the tools. But he never did it with Detroit and we don't know how he'll do in the playoffs or in prime time. Tennessee is betting everything on Tannehill and they have lost so far. Does that mean that Tannehill doesn't deserve to be a starter? Pittsburgh has bet it all on Ben but he hasn't won in what 15 years? Heck Rodger hasn't won in 15 years. Its a lot of things coming together, one of them being a good to great QB but Wilson was thought to be a QB that couldn't win it all until he won it. Same with Brees. These two were doubted because of their size. But they won. Now that "formua" has changed and Murray is not doubted as much. But is Jackson a SB caliber QB? He hasn't won one and hasn't won much in the playoffs. 

First a QB needs to show they can make the playoffs (that's what I want Heinicke to do this year). Then they need to show they can win in the playoffs and thats a big hurdle to cross that many never cross and if Heinicke doesn't cross that but can continue to take us to the playoffs then I don't mind that being where he levels out. But we see these QBs on SB caliber teams that are now competing to show that they are not just good but SB level QBs. Allen, Herbert, Jackson, Prescott, Cousins, Stafford, Tannehill, Murray, etc. None of these guys have won it all. That doesn't mean they're not franchise guys because they have their teams competing for that spot consistently. Heinicke needs to show us he can compete with these teams, and so far he hasn't disappointed me. 

Solid post.  Well stated, and I agree 100%.  Still want to draft a QB this offseason (and EVERY offseason until we hit on one), but we could (and have) certainly done worse than what Heinicke has given us so far this season.

32 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I don't think any of this really disputes what I was saying. Teams with elite QBs are perennial winners and go to the playoffs regularly. Teams with mediocre QBs generally don't. They'll sneak in every so often if things align, but it's usually it's a one-off.

I guess it depends on philosophy of the team and/or coach. Do they want to shoot for a team that could fall forward into a SB one year if everything comes together, or a team that will be a threat to go all the way every year? Most seem to choose the latter, but will accept the former if that's all they have at the moment.

It's not about whether a guy "deserves to be a starter", it's about whether he's a guy who can be a true upper echelon QB and can elevate a team to the point where they're in the mix every season he's there. Again, that's why teams keep trying. They all know this stuff. It's really not a huge mystery.

• Like 1

Right now it feels as if Heinicke is in a zone...if it doesn't fizzle out, then he's not in a zone, it's just who he is as a QB. I also want to highly believe that his play as of late is due in part to Scott Turner improving as an OC and Zempese's influence as a QB coach is being felt. That  means the team has a stronger coaching and coordinator staff than we may realize. Not very fond of expecting players to just "be" good on their own without any need of coaching or tayloring a scheme to showcase their strengths.

• Like 4

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/42079/washingtons-turnaround-fueled-by-taylor-heinickes-resurgence

Washington's turnaround fueled by Taylor Heinicke's resurgence

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The quarterback making his return to Carolina did what he does best: He extended a play, running to his left and flipping a sidearm toss as a defender tried to corral him, converting a pivotal fourth down late that led to the winning points.

Yes, that is what Taylor Heinicke -- you were expecting someone else? -- does best for the Washington Football Team. It's one reason Washington has won two consecutive games, getting hot at the right time. It's what he did Sunday in helping Washington beat the Carolina Panthers, 27-21.

His play is part of Washington's growing identity, a team fueled by a physical run game and a quarterback's will.

"Confidence," receiver DeAndre Carter said, when asked what's different about Heinicke's game.

The same could be said of the entire roster. Suddenly, a team left for dead at 2-6 is 4-6 heading into Monday Night Football (8:15 p.m. ET, ESPN) at home against the Seattle Seahawks (3-7). Washington is following a similar script to 2020 when it started 2-7 en route to a 7-9 finish.

Numerous reasons explain the two-game win streak. Washington has run the ball well -- behind a solid line, Antonio Gibson rushed for a season-best 95 yards Sunday. The rushing success means Heinicke doesn't have to produce big throws to extend drives. In the two wins, Washington has averaged 37 minutes, 30 seconds in time of possession.

The defense has held the past two opponents, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Carolina, to a combined 31.6% success rate on third down.

But Heinicke also has starred the past two games -- a mix of efficiency and occasional big-time plays. In the past two games Heinicke has completed a combined 42-of-54 passes for 462 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions. His total QBR in Sunday's win was a career-best 91.1.

"You can tell he has a rhythm out there," Washington receiver Terry McLaurin said. "He's very comfortable with the guys that are out there, he's comfortable with the playcalling. And when things don't look the greatest out there, he does a great job of improvising and keeping plays alive."

Like on that fourth down Sunday. Washington, leading 24-21 and at the Panthers' 43-yard line, needed three yards with 7:23 remaining. Heinicke looked at McLaurin, who was covered as he crossed the middle of Carolina's zone; he checked tight end John Bates, who wasn't open down the seam. His checkdown back, J.D. McKissic, wasn't open.

So Heinicke ran to his left, came to a skidding halt as linebacker Jermaine Carter approached. Carter reached back and grabbed Heinicke, who whipped a sidearm toss to Bates for six yards. The play lasted 8.15 seconds; it also led to a field goal.

"That scared the hell out of me, but that's him," Washington coach Ron Rivera said. "He has the ability; he sees things and he's got a very innate sense to him."

As McLaurin said, "Not too many quarterbacks make that play."

The quarterback on the other sideline, Cam Newton, often did. Heinicke spent one season as one of Newton's backups in 2018. One of his former teammates, Carolina cornerback Donte Jackson, was impressed Sunday.

"One thing about Taylor Heinicke, man, is you can always count on him to be a fighter. Be a competitor," Jackson said. "And just be a guy who plays to win. It don't matter if he has to hand it off 100 times or throw it 100 times. He really competed today and it was nice. I was very impressed."

Washington will look for another quarterback this offseason, hoping to find the franchise passer and end a decades-long quest. Heinicke is not viewed in that manner. But, as an underdog quarterback his entire playing career, he isn't focused on the future.

It's about the present. And the present -- the past two weeks in particular -- have been stellar.

In the red zone: From Weeks 3 to 8, a stretch when Washington went 1-5, Heinicke completed 12-of-23 passes for 68 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. In the past two games he has completed 6-of-7 red zone throws for 40 yards, three touchdowns -- all on Sunday -- and no picks. He threaded a tight-window throw on a 6-yard scoring toss to Cam Sims.

On third down: In Washington's four-game losing streak, Heinicke was 14-of-34 on third down for 165 yards and two interceptions. The past two games? He's 18-for-22 for 219 yards and two scores, one of which came Sunday to Carter.

Four games ago, Heinicke threw an interception in the red zone and coaches believed he was trying to be too perfect with his pass. He listened and, against Tampa Bay, he led Carter and scored.

"It's the culmination of a lot of things, but I've played better by going out there and having fun, being myself," Heinicke said, "and let my personality come out and that rubs off on some other guys."

Rivera saw what a mobile quarterback could do, having coached Newton for nine seasons in Carolina.

"When a guy like Taylor has that kind of ability, that can turn something into trouble [for the defense]," Rivera said. "It helps. He keeps his eyes downfield, he's trying to make plays."

But they want him to understand he must protect the ball. The past two games, Heinicke hasn't thrown an interception.

"That's extremely important if we want to keep this thing going down the stretch," McLaurin said.

Last year, Washington's surge was led, in part, by quarterback Alex Smith's leadership. Heinicke is not the same kind of leader; he's not experienced enough. However, Rivera likes the progress he has shown.

"After what he did last year, for the most part, guys have gravitated towards him because they felt with this guy that we have a chance," Rivera said. "I think now, you not only see [Heinicke] giving these guys hope and believe that we have a chance, but he is leading them. Very similar in style to the way that I thought Alex did. You see his growth and development."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Acworth skins fan said:

Highly possible. I don’t have a Twitter account, that could be why that it isn’t working for me. But alas Twitter is the 👿 

I've had the same problem but if I copy the link and paste to a new web page it comes up...wierd

Nope...not there with me too...didn't work

Edited by The Hangman- C_Hanburger

53 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I guess it depends on philosophy of the team and/or coach. Do they want to shoot for a team that could fall forward into a SB one year if everything comes together, or a team that will be a threat to go all the way every year?

What needs to be considered here is what gives you a greater chance of falling forward into a SB?

1)  Trading draft capitol to take a shot at a franchise QB or consuming a large portion of your salary cap to buy a franchise QB

2)  Build a solid team with a lot of depth that can win with above average (as opposed to all pro) level QB performance

Baltimore, Philly, Broncos, and Seattle have won SuperBowls using the 2nd option.  That's four out of the last nine SuperBowls.  It's not really a one off.  It's almost half.  

2 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

What needs to be considered here is what gives you a greater chance of falling forward into a SB?

1)  Trading draft capitol to take a shot at a franchise QB or consuming a large portion of your salary cap to buy a franchise QB

2)  Build a solid team with a lot of depth that can win with above average (as opposed to all pro) level QB performance

Baltimore, Philly, Broncos, and Seattle have won SuperBowls using the 2nd option.  That's four out of the last nine SuperBowls.  It's not really a one off.  It's almost half.  

My point was that it's a one-off for that team. Teams with average QBs that go to the SB aren't perennial contenders. They generally manage to get there once when the planets align and never truly sniff it again with that QB. Happened with Foles, Flacco, Kaep, etc.

I'd rather keep trying to find that top end QB instead of hoping for one of those elusive long shot one-off SB appearances. 

21 minutes ago, mistertim said:

My point was that it's a one-off for that team. Teams with average QBs that go to the SB aren't perennial contenders. They generally manage to get there once when the planets align and never truly sniff it again with that QB. Happened with Foles, Flacco, Kaep, etc.

I'd rather keep trying to find that top end QB instead of hoping for one of those elusive long shot one-off SB appearances. 

Lead us this way lol

Sign me up for a top end QB as well. Oh, and can he be on a rookie contract at an elite level for 2-3 years. That’s all I ask for. 

14 hours ago, mojo said:

Anybody see this quote from Cam yesterday?

think they are a great team, obviously we know who Coach Rivera is. He had those guys dialed in and ready to go. Scarface [Taylor Heinicke] played a hell of a game and not to mention, unbelievable execution right before the half. They stole 14 points without the offense having their say so in it and that's the key to victory.

"Scarface".  Does Heinicke have a scar on his face?  Or maybe its bc he's such a ballsy player on the field.  Maybe he just does a ton of coke on the weekends?

Probably because of the Scarface quote : "Say hello to my little friend"

And Heinicke is well-known as a gunslinger, so that's the little friend of Heinicke, that opponents need to be concerned with.

• Like 1