Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

This could go so many other ways though, so it's a borderline pointless argument to make. The Chargers would probably have put up at minimum another 2 TDs on us if it weren't for an incredibly bad fumble call and a couple of blatant drops by their WRs.

That's fair. I'm simply saying that Heineke was in position to grt the win if not for a costly fumble. But you're right, other events could have gone another way and he wouldn't have been in that position. The comment I was responding to seemed to be slightly blaming Heineke for not getting the win. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, my_friend_goo said:

Honestly, I won't care if the passes aren't pretty or pinpoint accurate if they keep on ending up in the hands of our receivers, the chains move and the points keep coming. It's a lot to ask at this much higher level of play though.

I wish more people had this perspective.

We've had so many years and decades of QB futility (with a couple exceptions) who mostly could not accomplish what you stated. And every fan was depressed because of it.

Now we apparently have one who can do just that. And are we going to be unhappy just because his passes aren't pretty ?

Can we be grateful for what we have, and the traits that have been so hard to find over the years ?

If he gets a chance to start for a while, and ends up winning games for us, even though it's not pretty, can we appreciate that ?

If we keep looking, or keep waiting for the perfect QB, we will be waiting for a long time.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think a lot of us would like to know the reaction from Chase Young, in particular :)

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

Heinicke did a great job coming in, again, and if he can keep his talent level and play up to where he has been in his last few games, he will have a great season.  That of course is the big if. 

Keep in mind, he only got 5 drives, 3 of those were scoring drives(except missed FG), 1 of those was a fumble where he never got to throw a pass.  The last drive he drove us down again deep into Chargers territory but got it pushed back because of a clipping penalty.  Basically there wasnt a single drive where the offense didnt drive down the field when he had the ball.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, duffy said:

That's fair. I'm simply saying that Heineke was in position to grt the win if not for a costly fumble. But you're right, other events could have gone another way and he wouldn't have been in that position. The comment I was responding to seemed to be slightly blaming Heineke for not getting the win. 

Yeah that loss certainly isn't on Heinicke. He did a good job with what he had.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Once again Heinicke looks pretty good. His off-key playmaking ability buys the offense some time and he finds ways to move the ball down the field. He likes to throw high but I think overall he's a starter in this league. Hard to think of a comp for him. 

I know it's borderline blasphemy to compare one of our guys to a Dallas player, but he kind of reminds me of a poor man's Tony Romo. He doesn't have Romo's size or arm but he has some of Romo's slipperiness in the pocket and ability to get outside and make off-schedule plays. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I know it's borderline blasphemy to compare one of our guys to a Dallas player, but he kind of reminds me of a poor man's Tony Romo. He doesn't have Romo's size or arm but he has some of Romo's slipperiness in the pocket and ability to get outside and make off-schedule plays. 

I actually think that is a solid comparison with your size and arm caveats. 

49 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's not true. He did not get injured in his first game he played for us. His first game was Carolina in Week 16.

He played extremely well that game, for a 102.3 Rating. And did not get hurt.

So he's played more like, almost 2 and a half games for us.

Yes, he gutted it out against Tampa. But still...

He has missed zero time due to injury.

And his performance has not suffered at all, due to injury.

So his bumps and bruises in the Tampa game were a non-issue then, and are a non-issue now.

I disagree, because I never hear that criticism of other starting NFL QB's, who have a similar playing style as Heinicke.

It seems like, if we get a QB who is not mobile, he gets called a statue; Then if we get a QB who actually is mobile, then he's a "reckless injury waiting to happen"

Lol. Ok. Time will tell if he can endure an NFL season. 

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

Everyone's talking about Heinicke, but Kyle Allen just got his foot back in the door after being seemingly shut out behind the playoff starter and the free agent signing. Allen is one brittle Heinicke away from being a starter again.

And hopefully, he will be that way a very, very, long, long time.

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Everyone's talking about Heinicke, but Kyle Allen just got his foot back in the door after being seemingly shut out behind the playoff starter and the free agent signing. Allen is one brittle Heinicke away from being a starter again.

I hope the foot in the door isnt his bad one and it gets hit.  lol

10 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Everyone's talking about Heinicke, but Kyle Allen just got his foot back in the door

2 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I hope the foot in the door isnt his bad one and it gets hit.  lol

Or that he doesn't try "kicking in" that door, to get in...

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/vikings-qb-taylor-heinicke-injury-door/314744

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I wish more people had this opinion.

We've had so many years and decades of QB futility (with a couple exceptions) who mostly could not accomplish what you stated. And every fan was depressed because of it.

Now we apparently have one who can do just that. And are we going to be unhappy just because his passes aren't pretty ?

Can we be grateful for what we have, and the traits that have been so hard to find over the years ?

If he gets a chance to start for a while, and ends up winning games for us, even though it's not pretty, can we appreciate that ?

If we keep looking, or keep waiting for the perfect QB, we will be waiting for a long time.

I do try to stay level headed 😁

Just bear in mind that this isn't akin to finding the perfect soul mate on a personal and emotional level and then complaining that they ain't much to look at.

This is asking your starting quarterback to possess some of the most critical skillsets that pretty much all of the most consistently successful NFL quarterbacks possess. That to me is where most of the concern lies. Of course, there's many elements that add up to ensuring the ball keeps ending up in the hands of your receivers, but being able to drop the ball to exactly where they and only they can get their hands on it and/or exactly when they're open makes up a big part of that.

Edited by my_friend_goo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'm wondering if they bring someone else in if Fitz ends up being out for an extended period. Heinicke has been injury prone in the past and Allen is coming back from a really bad ankle injury. Betting on both of those guys staying healthy may not not be a great idea.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's very comfortable throwing to the right, not as much to the left as far as accuracy based on his own admission.  The way I think I'd play him is force him as much as possible to stay in the pocket.  Heinicke seems to be at his best on the move. 

Would you say maybe, that his "improv ability" may make it harder for other teams and DC's to gameplan against him, versus a guy who stays put in the pocket and is predictable, etc ?

So maybe, even with teams getting a chance to watch more film on him, study him, and game-plan and adjust for him, won't necessarily negate his positive traits - since he's so freakin unpredictable ?

Not just his mobility, but his vision. His ability to speed through 5 reads, is off the charts according to some coaches.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm wondering if they bring someone else in if Fitz ends up being out for an extended period. Heinicke has been injury prone in the past and Allen is coming back from a really bad ankle injury. Betting on both of those guys staying healthy may not not be a great idea.

At this point what's the over under for number of starting QBs this year?  Id guess 3.   

Still can't believe Fitz didn't even last a half.

30 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I can definitely see a Romo-Lite comparison. I still question his arm... it seems like everything completed is off-schedule passes lol. What does Heinicke look like when things are going right?

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

QB Kyle Shurmur added to the practice squad according to the Virginian-Pilot. They also report that Fitz will be out at least three weeks.

Edited by ODU AGGIE
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb down 1

53 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Once again Heinicke looks pretty good. His off-key playmaking ability buys the offense some time and he finds ways to move the ball down the field. He likes to throw high but I think overall he's a starter in this league. Hard to think of a comp for him. 

Maybe Doug Flutie.

• Thumb up 1