Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

3 hours ago, Jabbyrwock said:

As I understood it from my doctor the CDC recommends the third shot for the immunocompromised population.  Its also on their web page:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html.  Not my business what @SoCalSkins situation is, but for a couple few percent or so of the population, a third dose is actually the recommended course of action...at least to the best of my current understanding.  Not tryin' to pick a fight, Buzz, but "Ridiculous" might be a bit harsh without more knowledge.

It is absolutely irresponsible for non-immune compromised people to be getting boosters. We have no safety data, no RCTs done yet. The vaccines have shown no signs of letting up in protection against severe illness and hospitalization. Israel's data has been obsessively pandered around - we have no idea of their methodology, and they are still an outlier vs. every other country in the world with a relatively high vaccination rate.

There's a reason the CDC, FDA and WHO have all said stop promoting boosters for the gen pop. We need accurate data on vaccination rates, now random people are going to get unauthorized boosters. It's a mess. The White House completely screwed the pooch.

Also data shows one adenovirus vaccine i.e. AstraZeneca with an mRNA gives more protection than all mRNA.

Edited by Sticksboi05

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

I've seen many experts saying that 3rd booster is put to better use in vaccinating the rest of the world to slow down or stop the next variant.

I’m not on board with this argument. Not without seeing data that supports it (I haven’t seen it cause I haven’t gone looking for it, I’m not asking you to go find it for me :) )

im with @TheGreatBuzz 

that persons personal situation is none of my business and on the scale of meh to outraged I’m basically outraged at the anti-maskers, very mad at the antivaxers, and I’m definitely more than meh at someone unilaterally getting their their vaccine

…but we got bigger fish to fry. 

now… if it turns out this is a trend and immunocompromised people can’t get a third shot cause other fully vaxxed people are just taking all the shots, I can escalate to outraged quickly. 

My mindset for myself:

I think the cdc mask guidance change was more about protecting the unvaccinated than the vaccinated, cause the original stance of “if you’re vaccinated you don’t need to bother but unvaccinated def wear masks” didn’t work, it just seems oh so obvious what happened there. But… I spent 15 months preaching listen to the cdc. So. I wear a mask.

and I’ll get my booster when they say it’s appropriate for me to. And If everyone operated that way we’d already be past this ****. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

It is absolutely irresponsible for non-immune compromised people to be getting boosters. We have no safety data, no RCTs done yet. The vaccines have shown no signs of letting up in protection against severe illness and hospitalization. Israel's data has been obsessively pandered around - we have no idea of their methodology, and they are still an outlier vs. every other country in the world with a relatively high vaccination rate.

There's a reason the CDC, FDA and WHO have all said stop promoting boosters for the gen pop. We need accurate data on vaccination rates, now random people are going to get unauthorized boosters. It's a mess. The White House completely screwed the pooch.

Also data shows one adenovirus vaccine i.e. AstraZeneca with an mRNA gives more protection than all mRNA.

Any doctor can prescribe Pfizer as off label use booster since it’s FDA approved. Moderna will be soon. My doctor who I am personal friends with got himself the third Moderna shot and recommend to me to get it. So I did. Maybe slightly premature but it’s been over 7 months since my second dose. Rite aid was more than happy to administer it as well. I didn’t lie to them. I said I had my two shots gave them my card and they gave me my third. Over a million people got the booster before it was approved for immunocompromised. Not recommending it to anyone I’m just putting out my experience with it. 

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, Destino said:

So if the vaccines fail at preventing infection and spread, and anti vax groups aren’t budging, whats tour way out of this nightmare?  I get the sense that vaccines failing to stop the spread is strengthening antivax resolve too.  

The understanding on the vaccine and society's goal has to shift a little bit.  Vaccine does its job when it drastically lowers the chance of serious illness or death.  It would be great to achieve herd immunity and quash it out altogether, but it's also ok if the result is like the flu where many will get it, but vaccinated people are greatly protected from serious consequences.

Once the vaccine is authorized for everyone, including young children, I think you have to start thinking about how to transition to living with it.  Good hygiene, mask in crowded places, improved ventilation and distancing in public, some of these things may be here to stay.

The real concern is the unvaccinated and their effect on the health system.  Not sure how we address that.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

8 hours ago, Destino said:

So if the vaccines fail at preventing infection and spread, and anti vax groups aren’t budging, whats tour way out of this nightmare?  I get the sense that vaccines failing to stop the spread is strengthening antivax resolve too.  

The vaccines do reduce spread, tons of data backs this up, it just won't matter if only a little over half the country is vaccinated. But you look at Denmark for example at 80 percent- they have stamped Delta out. Vaccinated people have less infectious virus, shed for less time, and get infected less often. But we're just not at the levels needed to see it stamp out Delta. It was stamping out Alpha.

I think mandates are the way we get the vaccination levels we need. It's one thing to say I won't take it, until it hits your pocket. More companies are going to do what Delta is, making unvaccinated pay more for health insurance.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tshile said:

and I’ll get my booster when they say it’s appropriate for me to. And If everyone operated that way we’d already be past this ****. 

So how would we be past this?  The US has significantly more cases now than it did at this point last year with roughly 65% of the population vaccinated.

1 hour ago, mojo said:

So how would we be past this?  The US has significantly more cases now than it did at this point last year with roughly 65% of the population vaccinated.

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Only 53.5% of America is vaccinated.

And the same people who are fighting against vaccination, are fighting to make it a criminal offense to try to encourage any other health measures, too.  

If Covid was e. Coli, it would be illegal in Florida for restaurants to order employees to wash their hands.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

The vaccines do reduce spread, tons of data backs this up, it just won't matter if only a little over half the country is vaccinated. But you look at Denmark for example at 80 percent- they have stamped Delta out. Vaccinated people have less infectious virus, shed for less time, and get infected less often. But we're just not at the levels needed to see it stamp out Delta. It was stamping out Alpha.

I think mandates are the way we get the vaccination levels we need. It's one thing to say I won't take it, until it hits your pocket. More companies are going to do what Delta is, making unvaccinated pay more for health insurance.

So we won’t be out of this until we get our vaccination rates from just over 50% to 80%?  That’s a tall order.  

40 minutes ago, Destino said:

So we won’t be out of this until we get our vaccination rates from just over 50% to 80%?  That’s a tall order.  

I'm pretty sure we're never going to be out of it.  It'll just be something you get that doesn't kill you, ironically, just like the flu.  The unvaxxed will continue to be selected against (in evolutionary terms).

Should we not assume if a certain level of the population stays unvaccinated a variant will eventually exist that’s resistant to the vaccine? 

Sorry that I’m using the wrong terminology. For the life of me I cannot find the correct words today. But that’s a serious question. I have been working under that assumption this entire time just based off of what I was taught in high school about how viruses mutate. 

edit: meaning we will never be done with this madness after a certain point. 

Edited by Llevron

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Should we not assume if a certain level of the population stays unvaccinated a variant will eventually exist that’s resistant to the vaccine? 

Pretty sure that's the consensus right now. Just have to hope the vaccine labs can stay ahead of the game every year

I think people are riding on the fact that delta is keeping other variants out of the US right now, and the vaccines work well against the Delta. Problem is other countries have shown Delta outbreaks to be relatively short-lived, and we're technically in a virus off-season right now. So what happens when Delta dries up and let's other variants in the winter, when everyone is indoors and most people will be 8+ months since their last dose