Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Picked up the XSX on Friday. Gamepass is pretty cool, got a bunch of games I missed last gen downloaded and ready to play.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 were bundled together for $30 with all DLC. 

Starting off with Skyrim first. Running the game with graphics mods and no FPS cap is pretty amazing. Stunningly detailed world on a big screen TV, running at 60+ FPS is awesome.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Picked up the XSX on Friday. Gamepass is pretty cool, got a bunch of games I missed last gen downloaded and ready to play.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 were bundled together for $30 with all DLC. 

Starting off with Skyrim first. Running the game with graphics mods and no FPS cap is pretty amazing. Stunningly detailed world on a big screen TV, running at 60+ FPS is awesome.

I'm getting it. Cant wait to get my hands on some of the Legion mods for Fallout. That **** always made me jealous how we were basically getting punked in the mod dept on PS4. Basically made it not even worth it to do mods.

Creation Club was a bit of a consolation,  but not even they give you exactly what you want. Just like Skyrim its always uneven. A million medium and heavy armor suits, but one boring palate swapped College mage robe.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Digital vs physical pricing of games annoys me to no end.  I can even stomach digital being as expensive as physical to not make physical games obsolete (though why this is necessary is unclear to me).  But why on earth is digital games more expensive during BF?  Gamestop has Fire Emblem cartridges for $27 but digital for $40.  Wtf?

20 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Digital vs physical pricing of games annoys me to no end.  I can even stomach digital being as expensive as physical to not make physical games obsolete (though why this is necessary is unclear to me).  But why on earth is digital games more expensive during BF?  Gamestop has Fire Emblem cartridges for $27 but digital for $40.  Wtf?

There is no incentive to lower the digital price because it does not help them sell physical stock they want to get rid of.  I'd imagine that the vast majority of gamers prefer digital downloads, but there is still a market for discs. 

Disc format also allows for a physical gift to unwrap on Christmas, birthdays, etc.  I love getting gift cards at Christmas, but my mom hates buying them because it's just a card in a small box, not fun for her to watch us open gift cards.  So, even though I'd buy digital over physical discs 100% of the time, for her I just tell her what game I want every year now to make her happy.  

Physical also allows for trade ins. Digital does not.

Digital is same price or more costly with no opportunities for any recoup on cost.

I fully agree that digital games should be much cheaper. No boxing, shipments, physical media.

That's really the only thing that would make me think about buying more digital vs. physical. A much cheaper price tag.

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

So question for all who prefer physical, would you be on board with paying more for physical?  I always assumed that digital being cheaper would crater the market for physical.

More as in...

More than now? Or more than digital?

9 minutes ago, bearrock said:

So question for all who prefer physical, would you be on board with paying more for physical?  I always assumed that digital being cheaper would crater the market for physical.

I love physical discs. I don’t mind digital but for great games that I love, I want the physical game. I think digital games should cost less than physical and also should have some type of exchange rate or marketplace so you can trade the rights to it in and get a discount off another digital purchase 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

More as in...

More than now? Or more than digital?

More than digital.  If digital was cheaper than the going rate for physical, how more would you be willing to pay for a physical copy? (I mean I assume at $60 vs $1 or something that ridiculous, you'd pick digital unless you want a keepsake).

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

I have done that.

I went out of my way to pay $30 (plus tax) for Dead Cells on Switch instead of paying $20 for the digital version.

I had no clue if I was going to like the game either so I knew I could sell it if I didn't like it with the physical.

I've also done this for multiple PSVR games.  Hell one of them was only available in Europe so I got Super Hot VR from Europe for like $23 shipped.  

Then I caved and bought Arizona Sunshine digital and wished I got the physical because that game sucks ass and after about 20 minutes and realizing I will never play it again, I was out the money since it was digital and I couldn't do **** with it.

If brand new games were $60 physical and $50 digital I would buy the physical ones for $60 pretty much 10/10 times.

Edited by purbeast

4 hours ago, bearrock said:

More than digital.  If digital was cheaper than the going rate for physical, how more would you be willing to pay for a physical copy? (I mean I assume at $60 vs $1 or something that ridiculous, you'd pick digital unless you want a keepsake).

If physical is $60 and digital it $50 I’d still go physical 90% of the time.

If physical is $60 and digital is $40 I’d still go physical 60% of the time.

If physical is $60 and digital is $30 I’d only go physical for games I really want the old school experience for (<25% of the time).

If physical is $60 and digital is $20 I’d only go physical once in a blue moon (<10% of the time)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Since I don't play multiplayer and don't care about single-player add ons, I don't need to pay for a subscription to the online services.  In fact I got rid of internet outside of my unlimited data phone plan.  All physical discs for me.

Console wise you must play a lot of unfinished and broken games. Almost every AAA title launches unfinished these days. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

41 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

And considering how storage limitations still exist on physical media, a lot of developers are forced to require additional installs once the disk is inserted...

That is just false and a couple games have come with 2 bluray discs to get around the limitation of 50gb per disc. 

They aren't forced to do anything and games aren't shipped "broken" as far as single player games go.  There have been cases where multiplayer was shipped "broken" or incomplete and an update was required to even play multiplayer, but that isn't an issue for obvious reasons.

There have however been single player games on Switch that DO require downloads, such as Spyro Collection, where just part 1 was included on the disc and parts 2 and 3 must be downloaded.  However it does say that right on the box so it shouldn't be a surprise for anyone, although I'm sure it still definitely is a surprise because that is just not something you expect.

6356290_sd.jpg

Edited by purbeast