Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

13 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I have no interest in Elden Ring or anymore souls like games, they're all pretty much the same and I'm over it. I've heard Armor Core was excellent, but isn't a full on souls like, so I might try that instead.

I'm the opposite. They have pretty much ruined other games for me.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Any good roguelite co-op games. The wife and I are enjoying messing around on Vampire Survivor but I'd like other options.

I've never quite understood the concept of roguelike or roguelite.  I enjoy gaming with my kids in co-op mode and recently we've enjoyed Streets of Rage 4 and Zombie Vikings.  Both are games where you go around punching people, which greatly appeals to my 4 year old boy. 

27 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I've never quite understood the concept of roguelike or roguelite.  I enjoy gaming with my kids in co-op mode and recently we've enjoyed Streets of Rage 4 and Zombie Vikings.  Both are games where you go around punching people, which greatly appeals to my 4 year old boy. 

Have you played any of them before or just seen videos of them?

The premise is that you do a run and after you die you start over.  But in that run, you gain stuff that is permanent to your character so the next time you go, you have something that is slightly better.  And then you make it just ever so slightly further.

They also typically have some kind of currency that you keep long term and ones that you lose after each run.  But in those runs, you will have the option to purchase stuff (which will be different every run) that will help you.  Alot of the stuff you purchase is a balancing act as well.  Same with all of the free power ups you get.

Also most of them a procedurally generated so you won't get the same exact run ever.  Every time you play, something will be different.

Then after you "beat" it and finish a run and make it all the way to the end, even more stuff unlocks that will make you more powerful, but since the next time you play it, it won't be the same game, you may not finish it again.  Or it will unlock a new difficulty.

They definitely aren't for everyone, but they also can be pretty addicting.

I was pretty into Dead Cells for a while and Hades was also fantastic.

Edited by purbeast

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

That's helpful.  I don't think I've played anything fitting that description.  

It's honestly hard to get a feel for what they are like until you play one.  The first one I played was Dead Cells based on what I had heard/seen about it and I quickly was hooked on it.  Once I played it a bit I was like "ooooh okay now I get why people like these."

Oh and typically speaking, they are pretty difficult, and you will die a lot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Any good roguelite co-op games. The wife and I are enjoying messing around on Vampire Survivor but I'd like other options.

My brother and I really enjoyed Streets of Rogue (not Streets of Rage) for a while. 

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Specifically for the PS5 the best roguelite example (not best roguelite game) is probably Returnal. 

Also i really enjoyed the grind in Hades (another roguelite). 

The voice acting is phenomenal. 

Housemarque has a bunch of really good games. Super Star Dust, Resogun, Dead Nation and Alien Nation are all a excellent games with tons of replayability.

A few other rogue likes worth checking out are Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy 1 & 2 and Slay the Spire.

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

So I never run into them again.  Thought that was pretty obvious lol.

To me, people that rage quit are harmless.  I would also think running into the same player again wouldn't happen that often would it?  I don't play a lot of fighting games, but I don't recall running into the same players over and over again in MK11 and I didn't start playing that until 2022.

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

To me, people that rage quit are harmless.  I would also think running into the same player again wouldn't happen that often would it?  I don't play a lot of fighting games, but I don't recall running into the same players over and over again in MK11 and I didn't start playing that until 2022.

I mean yeah they are harmless, but it's also a waste of time in the end so I'd rather not play them again.  Two button clicks makes that happen.

And yeah it can happen especially if you play at the same time often. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I do playing Rainbow Six Siege. Especially during a slow time of day with their ranking system. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mufumonk said:

I'm the opposite. They have pretty much ruined other games for me.

The only other souls like that I was able to get down on (and finish) was The Surge, didn't like the sequel as much, but I wouldn't be against trying it again.

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

That's helpful.  I don't think I've played anything fitting that description.  

Roguelike or roguelikes are pretty much what purebeast described, the term is so simple, yet so vague that it casts a wide net. However, the basic formula is the same, go as far as you can until you die, start over again. These games don't look like much, but become super addictive. If you have Gamepass, I recommend trying Brotato (more like Vampire Survivor) and Dead Cells is always a good bet (more platforming). Gamepass has a lot, if you have access to that, go try some out there, risk free.

Alright, so it was between Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty or Dead Island 2...so I have DI2. Sorry, CP2077. You're next, I promise.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

57 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

The only other souls like that I was able to get down on (and finish) was The Surge, didn't like the sequel as much, but I wouldn't be against trying it again.

Roguelike or roguelikes are pretty much what purebeast described, the term is so simple, yet so vague that it casts a wide net. However, the basic formula is the same, go as far as you can until you die, start over again. These games don't look like much, but become super addictive. If you have Gamepass, I recommend trying Brotato (more like Vampire Survivor) and Dead Cells is always a good bet (more platforming). Gamepass has a lot, if you have access to that, go try some out there, risk free.

Alright, so it was between Cyberpunk: Phantom Liberty or Dead Island 2...so I have DI2. Sorry, CP2077. You're next, I promise.

Bloodborne is the GOAT for me. The gameplay and art direction were phenomenal. It also has a ridiculously good DLC with one of the most difficult boss fights (Orphan of Kos) I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Elden Ring was responsible for a lot of Frank "The Tank" Fleming-like rants from me where I would just yell at the top of my lungs expletives and call out CPU OP for straight cheese. Oh man, that game was responsible for so much anger and stress, especially when it was so difficult to cure rot. ****, I lost so many coins, and ended up having to grind them in some chamber underground, but of course you go there and get rot, which there's no way to get rid of. Or, some dumb boss where you are capable of beating at such a high level 3 or 4 shots you because of his Damage-Over-Time attack which I can't even get rid of. 

When I reached the Giants snowland final area, and some giant 3 or 4 shotted me to death before I "killed" the maiden, that's when I said I was done with this game

44 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Elden Ring was responsible for a lot of Frank "The Tank" Fleming-like rants from me where I would just yell at the top of my lungs expletives and call out CPU OP for straight cheese. Oh man, that game was responsible for so much anger and stress, especially when it was so difficult to cure rot. ****, I lost so many coins, and ended up having to grind them in some chamber underground, but of course you go there and get rot, which there's no way to get rid of. Or, some dumb boss where you are capable of beating at such a high level 3 or 4 shots you because of his Damage-Over-Time attack which I can't even get rid of. 

When I reached the Giants snowland final area, and some giant 3 or 4 shotted me to death before I "killed" the maiden, that's when I said I was done with this game

Damn you were pretty close to the end too.

Per The Athletic:

Yesterday, college football players officially began opting in to EA Sports College Football 25, which is set to launch this summer. All 134 FBS programs, including soon-to-be FBS member Kennesaw State, will be included.

Up to 85 players per school will appear on initial rosters, with those who don’t opt in represented by generic player avatars.

More than 5,000 players from 130 programs opted in yesterday, per EA Sports’ John Reseburg. To name just a few, per their own posts on social media accounts:

• Thumb up 1