Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Any recommendations for games on iOS (iPad particularly) would be appreciated.  I've been playing Civ 6 for forever at this point. 

Since I now know the types of games you like in giving up on Demon's Souls, I'm going to recommend Angry Birds and Candy Crush for you. 

They will be right up your alley.

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Since I now know the types of games you like in giving up on Demon's Souls, I'm going to recommend Angry Birds and Candy Crush for you. 

They will be right up your alley.

I didn't "give up."  I declined to even try.  Quitting requires starting. :)

Angry Birds was fun.  As was Plants v. Zombies.  Never tried Candy Crush, will give that a shot.  👊

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

SO MANY opportunities for side quests.  And by "make your way up the chain" I would say you start as a driver, then become a Hill staffer, then eventually a congressperson yourself.  All the while doing all kinds of depraved **** and backstabbing your rivals.  

Exactly....I was thinking that might be the end game - you grow your notoriety by working as a low level staffer to senators all the way up to working for the President due to all the blackmail you accumulate over the years. The game would be ****ing great.

I can see missions where you need to meet with spies/diplomats at the embassies; avoid pissing off local gangs; picking up illegal contraband for congress people; covering up cheating scandals....so much potential. It'd be kinda like a GTA/Mafia spinoff.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

There would be way too much pushback from the political hacks/media. Not even the ballsiest of devs would touch that.

Nothing like a good controversy for some free publicity.

19 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I just want a game set in a reasonably sized world where you have a plot that you can approach from various angles (as a detective, street cop, patrol/SWAT, etc.

Somewhere between Time Crisis and The Getaway

Did you ever play either of the True  Crime games?    Decently sized for their  time,  taking  on  Los Angeles and Manhatten as their cities. Play a plain-clothes officer investigating a  case with a   little bit of a branching story,  and  between  story-missions,  you can drive  around the   city  and either cause   mayhem  or respond to emergencies.   You can also give random   civilians a  pat-down in search  of  contraband, and  you    can  even   plant    evidence on them  to further  your  career.

6 hours ago, bearrock said:

Wanted to throw this out to the gaming experts.  I'm playing Diablo 3 on the switch and having a lot of fun with Necromancer.  If I wanted to play a game where I command a hoard of minions (more the better), what would be some of the suggestions?

Pikman 3 Deluxe?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

SO MANY opportunities for side quests.  And by "make your way up the chain" I would say you start as a driver, then become a Hill staffer, then eventually a congressperson yourself.  All the while doing all kinds of depraved **** and backstabbing your rivals.  

Saint's Row?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Nothing like a good controversy for some free publicity.

Did you ever play either of the True  Crime games?    Decently sized for their  time,  taking  on  Los Angeles and Manhatten as their cities. Play a plain-clothes officer investigating a  case with a   little bit of a branching story,  and  between  story-missions,  you can drive  around the   city  and either cause   mayhem  or respond to emergencies.   You can also give random   civilians a  pat-down in search  of  contraband, and  you    can  even   plant    evidence on them  to further  your  career.

Nah never played them. Unless it's on PSNow, I probably never will, at this rate.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Nah never played them. Unless it's on PSNow, I probably never will, at this rate.

Not sure how well they hold up.  They were a pretty good GTA alternative for a kid that only had a Gamecube, but they were definitely not without their flaws.  I do have some nostalgia for them, though.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Not sure how well they hold up.  They were a pretty good GTA alternative for a kid that only had a Gamecube, but they were definitely not without their flaws.  I do have some nostalgia for them, though.

My sister still has my PS2 (buried somewhere) . Might try to see if I can get it off her.

A lot of those old PS2 games hold up, as do other games from that gen. I really think it was the best overall gen. The best blend of story/graphics/gameplay imo.

A lot of the content from The Getaway would still be considered fresh by today's standards (even after 20 yrs), like the punishing, real-life consequences of stealth/gunfire, the lack of HUD/hand holding tutorials, and planning escape routes to avoid traffic jams that would get you swarmed by aggressive Police

.... I still remember just what a pain in the ass that cop precinct infiltration mission (where you pose as the electrician) was. Holy ****, you couldn't even fart or it would be game over ❤

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Exactly....I was thinking that might be the end game - you grow your notoriety by working as a low level staffer to senators all the way up to working for the President due to all the blackmail you accumulate over the years. The game would be ****ing great.

I can see missions where you need to meet with spies/diplomats at the embassies; avoid pissing off local gangs; picking up illegal contraband for congress people; covering up cheating scandals....so much potential. It'd be kinda like a GTA/Mafia spinoff.

I think the best we can hope for, is a "Political Intrigue"/Clancy-esque Heavy Narrative kind of game from Supermassive or Quantic Dream. It sounds brilliant, prob too brilliant for standard open world treatment.

No way a AAA company would go for it. Well, maybe Ubisoft, but **** them. 👎🏼

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

Seriously tho. You have a medieval game where the King/Queen of a familiar yet fictitious country has been assassinated, throwing it into chaos.

You can be a knight, a ranger, a thief, a bard, a court advisor or an assassin, choosing to align yourself with various factions, all gunning for the Crown or the land itself.

The detail of Kingdom Come, the combat of For Honor, and the beauty of Ghost of Tsushima.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Finally beat Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Just under 150 hours and I still missed some things. If you're a hardcore RPG fan I'd highly recommend it, although the last ~10% of the game is a bit of a slog to get through.

Want to play it, but its broken on consoles.

I bought the first True Crime game when it came out for GameCube. I really enjoyed it, it was also one of the biggest maps at the time. I think it did enough to separate itself from GTA in a good way. However, I remember the morality system being less than satisfactory.

8 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

A lot of those old PS2 games hold up, as do other games from that gen. I really think it was the best overall gen. The best blend of story/graphics/gameplay imo.

It really was a magical generation.  They got the growing pains of the move to 3D out of the way in the previous generation, but it was still new enough to see a lot of experimentation in how to make games of different genres, and it was in the time where game companies were being lead by veteran game developers rather than MBAs looking to squeeze as much profit out of everything as possible by focus-grouping everything original into general-audience oblivion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Want to play it, but its broken on consoles.

I bought the first True Crime game when it came out for GameCube. I really enjoyed it, it was also one of the biggest maps at the time. I think it did enough to separate itself from GTA in a good way. However, I remember the morality system being less than satisfactory.

I think it was reviewed better on console than it was PC.  But no question, they were buggy.

Morality system definitely leaned in favor of playing as a good cop.  Selling contraband would get you some reasonable money now, but receiving promotions would get you huge salary increases with easy-to-collect money.

I appreciated the variety of combat, though.  You could visit dojos around the city to learn different fighting styles that you could alternate between, such as boxing and wushu, as well as learning fighting styles attached to particular hand-weapons, such as swords and bo-staffs (that is, you could swing a sword around like any random person who picks up a sword, or you could learn kendo and use a sword properly; same for the bo-staff or other staff-like weapons-of-opportunity).  Also had the ability to try to do counter-attacks, and you really had to time it perfectly or you'd be eating a fist to the face.  And use of the environment in combat, too.  I recall raiding a counterfeiting operation and throwing one of the henchman into the machinery making the knockoff products.  Or infiltrating a museum exhibit taken over by terrorists or something and throwing somebody onto an ancient sacrificial altar.

Oh, and the driving.  It wasn't as finely tuned as the driving in GTA, but it did have a neat idea of being able to learn special driving techniques, like being able to tilt the car up on two wheels.  I don't remember which one of them it was (maybe both), but I'd figured out a pretty neat glitch where I'd get the car up on two wheels and then pull a jack-knife maneuver and the car would pretty consistently launch into the air at high velocity flipping down the streets.

I feel like I need to give them another play-through.  It's been a LONG time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

It really was a magical generation.  They got the growing pains of the move to 3D out of the way in the previous generation, but it was still new enough to see a lot of experimentation in how to make games of different genres, and it was in the time where game companies were being lead by veteran game developers rather than MBAs looking to squeeze as much profit out of everything as possible by focus-grouping everything original into general-audience oblivion.

Damn, it's much sadder when you put it that way 😔

Every game felt unique, whether it was "Good" or "Bad." Nowadays, even a "Great" game can feel like you've played like 10 different versions of it. 

Corpos really ruined true gaming.

• Sad 1