Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

32 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Miles Morales is basically an expansion of a PS4 game so I don’t really count that. 

It was the 2nd installment of the franchise. At least,  that's how it was advertised. 🙂

The PS4 version was more limited (no ray tracing) than the PS5 version though. I suspect that (limitations) will be the same for GOW2 and other dual release games.

Edited by The Evil Genius

36 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

It was the 2nd installment of the franchise. At least,  that's how it was advertised. 🙂

The PS4 version was more limited (no ray tracing) than the PS5 version though. I suspect that (limitations) will be the same for GOW2 and other dual release games.

Im not as concerned with graphical enhancements but how the games are designed due to the old systems. Gameplay and the entire sandbox design and balancing etc changes dramatically based on how many enemies are on screen and how these are handled by the engine and the design of the level. If they have to design for last gen systems those things can be held back because the changes would be too drastic between the two game versions. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 3

I would suspect it's in Sony and Microsofts best interest to publish a few big 1st party games for the previous generation for another year or two. It's not like you can walk into Target or wherever and get a new system anytime soon. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Ok then. Define first party titles. Because I suspect your definition is different than mine.

Media Molecule by definition is a first party game developer for Sony. They create the Little Big Planet series. 

LBP3 was a dual release on the PS3 and PS4 in 2014 (1 year after the PS4 debuted). 

Also wouldn't Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales fit? It was a dual release for the PS4/PS5 and isn't on any other system...

Yeah Spider-man is this gen, which is why I said it's new this gen.  And let's not kid ourselves - that is a PS4 game ported to PS5, not the other way around, which is why I hate this whole cross gen crap. 

Look what happened to Cyberpunk.  The game was designed from the ground up for next gen consoles (PS5/XSX) and then back ported to the previous gen.  Look how the whole debacle turned out.  Game was delayed to ****.  And the native PS5/XSX version STILL isn't out.  

Little Big Planet 3 - okay that is one game then for PS3/PS4 that is first party.  Would you say when it came out on PS4 that it was a "next gen" looking/feel game?  

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Im not as concerned with graphical enhancements but how the games are designed due to the old systems. Gameplay and the entire sandbox design and balancing etc changes dramatically based on how many enemies are on screen and how these are handled by the engine and the design of the level. If they have to design for last gen systems those things can be held back because the changes would be too drastic between the two game versions. 

This right here is my issue as well.

As I said, look at Ratchet and Clank PS4 version and then look at the new one coming out.  It is night and day as far as how much "stuff" is going on in the game.  There is no way in hell that much stuff could be going on if it was on the PS4 version. 

And then you even can just go into art style and stuff.  I'm not talking about the stupid buzz words like 4K and ray tracing and HDR.  I couldn't give two ****s about that stuff if the game from the ground up has a poorly designed art style.  There is just some stuff that PS4 can't handle that PS5 can when it comes to that stuff due to hardware.

As a developer myself who has designed for cross platform, I can tell you that there will be tradeoffs to be had when doing so.  There are things that just won't work on one platform that works on the other and then you have to figure out a way to handle that situation.  And it means there is more code to be written.  Which means more design, more testing, and more bugs to be had.  And that means more time and likely hood of not having as polished of a product.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I would suspect it's in Sony and Microsofts best interest to publish a few big 1st party games for the previous generation for another year or two. It's not like you can walk into Target or wherever and get a new system anytime soon. 

Yeah I definitely agree with this. It doesn't mean I have to like it though.

Microsoft flat out said they will not have any XSX exclusives for at least 18 months after the launch.  That puts 2022 at the earliest for an XSX exclusive game.  I've literally played 2 games on my XSX - Gears 5 and started Doom Eternal - and those are both X1 games.  They did look fantastic on XSX though.

Oh speaking of Microsoft - do you remember when they showed the first gameplay of the new Halo game on XSX?  Do you remember how ****ty it looked?  Do you honestly think if it was being designed for the XSX specifically it would have looked that bad?  No change it would have looked like that crap they showed.  It was clear that developing the game to run on an X1 was holding it back big time.  I mean it literally looked like a 360 game in parts.  And because of this and all the negative feedback, they went back to the drawing board with that game.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Well I freed the third dragon, which was anticlimactic.  Those missions were difficult, and all you get is some lousy XP?  

You also end up with a dragon tears that is extremely rare and used for one of the talismans can't remember which. And going through those areas gets you a ton of other resources 

12 hours ago, purbeast said:

Look what happened to Cyberpunk.  The game was designed from the ground up for next gen consoles (PS5/XSX) and then back ported to the previous gen.  Look how the whole debacle turned out.  Game was delayed to ****.  And the native PS5/XSX version STILL isn't out.  

I'm convinced CDPR just aren't very good developers.

6 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I'm convinced CDPR just aren't very good developers.

Nah they literally had unrealistic expectations.  It happens all the time in the development world and it's because the higher ups have no clue how development works.  It's exactly the reason the game turned out how it did.

Higher ups don't understand how long stuff takes to do and will give you a month to do 3 months worth of work.  And you know what happens when that 3 months worth of real work is crammed into 1 month?  You get a buggy ass product with a lot of issues.  And then months/years down the road, you get a patch for a more polished product.  You know why?  Because that extra time is what was needed, and they probably needed more time for the patch because they have to go back and fix the bandaids they implemented, then put it through a whole new QA and patch process. 

Many higher ups do not understand the "spend more money up front save money in the long run" concept of development.  I am running into it right now on one of my projects where the lead who thinks they are a tech person isn't a tech person at all and would rather us not do code reviews or implement stuff herself just to get features in.  She worked on some code in an area that was exclusively mine about 3 months ago and completely botched stuff, and just yesterday I was still having issues and fixing stuff due to what she did.  I've already requested to get off of this project and am going to shortly because I know it's going nowhere.

I am fairly confident the devs wanted it to just be a PS5/XSX game and nothing more.  New tech excites devs and motivates you.  It's fun to learn and use.  But then they had to make it for multiple other previous gen platforms too.  All of this takes a lot of time to implement, more than the devs were given, even after those 2 (or whatever) major delays they had.  It's not the devs fault at all at what happened IMO, it's the higher ups forcing dates and features on the devs that simply are not realistic. 

News came out this past week that their stock is down mainly due to the failure of that game too.  So again it goes back to the "spend more money up front to save money in the long run" concept and had the higher ups known this is how good development works, they wouldn't be in this situation.

• Like 1

Ratchet and Clank getting pretty raving reviews.  I'm pretty hype to play it this weekend.  This is the first true "next gen" first party game this gen and it looks like the graphics do not disappoint at all.  Pretty much every review I have watched/read said it's one of the best games graphically they have ever played on a console.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 6:21 AM, purbeast said:

Nah they literally had unrealistic expectations.  It happens all the time in the development world and it's because the higher ups have no clue how development works.  It's exactly the reason the game turned out how it did.

I'm not talking about individual programmers, but the development studio as a whole.  And I'm not just basing it on Cyberpunk.  I found The Witcher 3 to be rather underwhelming.  Interesting world and all, but I found the gameplay to be rather lacking in many regards, and the decision to include random audio clips of people saying stupid things (that also doesn't seem to come from anyone that exists in the world since the volume of those voices doesn't change no matter how fast your ride your horse away from where you are) that you hear over and over again really breaks immersion.

I'd say they have an eye for interesting settings, but I'd look to someone else to try to make a good game in that setting.

• Like 1

I am saving my "Co-op vs the horde" game money for the Evil Dead game.

5 hours ago, purbeast said:

Ratchet and Clank getting pretty raving reviews.  I'm pretty hype to play it this weekend.  This is the first true "next gen" first party game this gen and it looks like the graphics do not disappoint at all.  Pretty much every review I have watched/read said it's one of the best games graphically they have ever played on a console.

Been a huge fan of this franchise, they are the definition of fun and have always been a joy to look at too.  I have RE8 and The Last of Us 2, so I may hold off on picking this one up for now, but it is definitely getting snatched up at some point.

26 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am saving my "Co-op vs the horde" game money for the Evil Dead game.

Been a huge fan of this franchise, they are the definition of fun and have always been a joy to look at too.  I have RE8 and The Last of Us 2, so I may hold off on picking this one up for now, but it is definitely getting snatched up at some point.

Play through TLOU2 with the 60fps patch on PS5.  I wish I could experience that game for the first time again at 60FPS.  It's a generational game.

RE8 is good too but if you aren't in a rush to play it, I'd return it and buy it later cause it's already been on sale for $50 and will probably hit $40 in a month or so.  And then buy Rift Apart after TLOU2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

I mean reveal trailers are always hype and don't tell you anything, but a good Battlefield game is sorely needed after years of wasting time in the World War era.

This.  Sure, the "reveal" this morning was kinda underwhelming.  But all we needed to see is that we're back in modern times, with modern vehicles, pew pews, and gadgets.  

I fully expect to be blown away by the gameplay footage come Sunday.  

@Dr. Do Itch Big I'm going to need a gunner for my attack boat trolling, big bro. 😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 1