Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

This is a little off-topic, but I watched an hour and a half segment with Cam Newton on "I am Athlete" w/Brandon Marshall, Chad Johnson, and Fred Taylor. He is the most mis-understood player in the NFL by a mile in my opinion. He just seems to get it, grinds non-stop, and when Ocho-Cinco was bagging on his supporting cast he immediately stuck up for them. It's funny because in that section Brandon Marshall asked about him going to DC with Riverboat Ron and everyone just gave raving reviews about McLaurin. Cam smiled and said: "It's in God's hands". I think he did like the idea of coming here but the Patriots I think saw something in Cam that I still see too at times: Superman. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love your post and opinions, SIP.  HigSkin and UK74 and others throw in your comments as well as I hope you read this.  Who do you ALL think fits what RR has describes as "His" QB for the WFT?  Respond back, please and I'll give you my best guess.  :)

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

This is a little off-topic, but I watched an hour and a half segment with Cam Newton on "I am Athlete" w/Brandon Marshall, Chad Johnson, and Fred Taylor. He is the most mis-understood player in the NFL by a mile in my opinion. He just seems to get it, grinds non-stop, and when Ocho-Cinco was bagging on his supporting cast he immediately stuck up for them. It's funny because in that section Brandon Marshall asked about him going to DC with Riverboat Ron and everyone just gave raving reviews about McLaurin. Cam smiled and said: "It's in God's hands". I think he did like the idea of coming here but the Patriots I think saw something in Cam that I still see too at times: Superman. 

Good post....appreciate this. I'm no Cam lover but I still think he would've fit in well with us, especially in certain packages like short yardage and goal line. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Good post....appreciate this. I'm no Cam lover but I still think he would've fit in well with us, especially in certain packages like short yardage and goal line. 

The thing that always struck me about Cam was the attitude(s) he had after the game.  I know you want to win but you can't be childish about it in post game interviews.  That follows you and it's the first thing I think of when I think of Cam Newton.  Like someone told me.  You have to suck it up, lick your wounds and come back next week ready.

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The thing that always struck me about Cam was the attitude(s) he had after the game.  I know you want to win but you can't be childish about it in post game interviews.  That follows you and it's the first thing I think of when I think of Cam Newton.  Like someone told me.  You have to suck it up, lick your wounds and come back next week ready.

Aaron Rodgers is the same way or at least very similar in how he handles losses to me. 

They don't blame their teammates, that's the big thing. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

Aaron Rodgers is the same way or at least very similar in how he handles losses to me. 

Not to me.  To me, Rodgers is much more professional about it. Cam has gotten better but still he's been in the NFL for a good while now.

Just now, RWJ said:

Not to me.  To me, Rodgers is much more professional about it. Cam has gotten better but still he's been in the NFL for a good while now.

I think a lot of players respect other players that seem to care that much. Newton is real, and always has been comfortable being himself no matter what other people thought of him. Look at how he plays the game, there's no way you can watch how emotional he gets and expect him to hide it 30 minutes after a loss in an interview. 

Rodgers and Cam both get clearly depressed after big losses. I don't think that should be held against them though. They give a ****. 

4 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Cam lost me with the Superbowl tantrum in the end zone....passion maybe,  cry baby maybe......not sure thats what we need here.

That was one of the bigger ones for me.  

The thing that probably shocks me the most about Cam signing, not once, but twice now with the Pats, is the odd couple relationship of Can Newton and Bill Bellichek.

Those 2 have to be like polar opposites, in personality. I always wondered if Bill had the patience to deal with such "personality" on the field ;)

Somehow, I have a very easy time envisioning Cam at a New England practice, and ribbing Bellichek, with a "Come on, lighten up William !"

Sort of like this, in different uniform colors...

200.gif

I don't think Cam is gonna change, for Bill, though.

He's been that way, his entire life.

This is what he did in school...

"Teachers would call about Newton’s antics, which included starting a water balloon fight, riding teachers’ chairs down the hallway, starting a food fight, and locking classmates in a closet."

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2020/07/13/cam-newton-father-cam-chronicles

I speculate what might have happened to him if he went the Tight End path...His build would have been complementary.

That's how he was originally recruited for college, until he and his Dad made every effort to derail those "plans" that colleges had for him

Logan Thomas went through the same successful conversion. What if Cam did ? Too late now, though :)

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

3 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I think a lot of players respect other players that seem to care that much. Newton is real, and always has been comfortable being himself no matter what other people thought of him. Look at how he plays the game, there's no way you can watch how emotional he gets and expect him to hide it 30 minutes after a loss in an interview. 

Rodgers and Cam both get clearly depressed after big losses. I don't think that should be held against them though. They give a ****. 

You can’t win with sports fans man. Fans here on this very forum get ****ing pissed when these “new age spoiled players” yuck it up on the sidelines with the opposing team after a devastating loss, saying they get paid too much and they don’t care, there’s no rivalries anymore, these guys are soft and are all friends, etc.

That same guy gets ****ing pissed and upset after the game like a fan, has a real passion for what happens on the field and doesn’t take losses with a smile and a jersey swap, and that player is now a diva, a whiner, unprofessional. Despite never throwing teammates under the bus and taking full responsibility. God forbid he drapes a towel over his head on the bench lol. Especially black players compared to similarly acting white players, as has already been pointed out on this page. But I won’t go further with that point, that’s a tailgate thing and it’s not conscious on anyone’s part in here in particular, it’s a societal thing not an individual thing most times. 

So many of these players can’t win. It’s “dance millionaire dance, and the way I want it”. They have to walk that line perfectly and be “one of the good ones” like a pitch perfect McLaurin type, to get fan approval for their persona—passionate but restrained, disappointed in victory but composed, good with the media but not too charismatic or real. Brady is a bigger baby on the sideline, and worse to his teammates when he’s angry, than Cam has ever been and it’s helped fuel his historic career. Someone already mentioned Rodgers. Big Ben has made a career of throwing teammates under the bus. Rivers was a very good guy but so ****ing annoying running his mouth on the field at times that it never would have been tolerated from some others— but from him it was endearing and part of the legend. 

And the funny thing is Rivera just told everyone here what he prefers. He holds Cam AND the way he lives and dies with the scoreboard in high esteem. Agreement from me that Newton is one of the most misunderstood guys in the league, even if I didn’t really want him here at this stage in his career given his remaining skill-set post injury. Anyone who has really spent time paying attention to him or even watching him on Hard Knocks would like him imo. The rest is Skip Bayless type media narratives and prude “old school” fans who don’t realize that if guys like Riggo had been faced with 24/7 media and social media scrutiny back in their day like current players, there’s a decent chance they’d have been manipulated into hating his guts too. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I predict many won’t like whoever we end up being the starting QB.

That tends to happen when we lose 8-10 games, wasting another season of this defense and the cheap contract years of our young playmakers...which is bound to happen this year barring a miracle or a big surprise breakout at QB. Check back in January of any individual season here and it’s highly likely many don’t like whoever the starting QBs were for it. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The thing that probably shocks me the most about Cam signing, not once, but twice now with the Pats, is the odd couple relationship of Can Newton and Bill Bellichek.

Those 2 have to be like polar opposites, in personality. I always wondered if Bill had the patience to deal with such "personality" on the field ;)

Somehow, I have a very easy time envisioning Cam at a New England practice, and ribbing Bellichek, with a "Come on, lighten up William !"

Sort of like this, in different uniform colors...

200.gif

I don't think Cam is gonna change, for Bill, though.

He's been that way, his entire life.

This is what he did in school...

"Teachers would call about Newton’s antics, which included starting a water balloon fight, riding teachers’ chairs down the hallway, starting a food fight, and locking classmates in a closet."

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2020/07/13/cam-newton-father-cam-chronicles

I actually wish we signed him...but as a Tight End, though...with that build, he would be perfect. And that's how he was originally recruited for college.

Logan Thomas went through the same successful conversion. Maybe Cam could have been his backup. Too late now, though :)

Couldn’t disagree with you more on everything—Cam and Bill seem wired very similarly to me in how they approach the game. Also, I can easily argue Bill is the more immature/self centered one when speaking to the media before and after games (wins or losses). 

The TE stuff is just non sense. Cam Newton is a borderline Hall of Fame QB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Couldn’t disagree with you more on everything—Cam and Bill seem wired very similarly to me in how they approach the game. Also, I can easily argue Bill is the more immature/self centered one when speaking to the media before and after games (wins or losses). 

The TE stuff is just non sense. Cam Newton is a borderline Hall of Fame QB.

I did not say they did not get along. But they were an unlikely couple. A pair that most people did not, and would not have predicted beforehand could mesh well in personality.

Not based in hindsight, or anything that actually occurred. But rather, who would have seen that coming ?

Same exact thing with the TE subject ; Not looking at this in hindsight. But what could  have happened ; if the college programs were successful in convincing him to play TE ? Along with some tongue in cheek.

All Hypothetical.

That was the reason for the "Too late" comment. And the smile emoji.

We're just fans. We speculate and we imagine. In fact, that's practically all we ever do, or can do.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

Love your post and opinions, SIP.  HigSkin and UK74 and others throw in your comments as well as I hope you read this.  Who do you ALL think fits what RR has describes as "His" QB for the WFT?  Respond back, please and I'll give you my best guess.  :)

Of the options available, I think Mariota is the most likely. However, I reckon he is going to lift some serious coin in a deal with someone. The Raiders have cleared 50mil in space so they have negated the initial ‘need’ to cut him. That makes me think they are still trying to trade him pre release. Carr would be better but that chatter seems to have gone away....

Got to admit, I hope we bring someone else in with the next 2-3 days, either by trade this weekend, or by agreeing terms very early on in the legal tampering period.

Edit - Forgot to add that Fitzmagic is also lurking in the background....

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

You can’t win with sports fans man. Fans here on this very forum get ****ing pissed when these “new age spoiled players” yuck it up on the sidelines with the opposing team after a devastating loss, saying they get paid too much and they don’t care, there’s no rivalries anymore, these guys are soft and are all friends, etc.

That same guy gets ****ing pissed and upset after the game like a fan, has a real passion for what happens on the field and doesn’t take losses with a smile and a jersey swap, and that player is now a diva, a whiner, unprofessional. Despite never throwing teammates under the bus and taking full responsibility. God forbid he drapes a towel over his head on the bench lol. Especially black players compared to similarly acting white players, as has already been pointed out on this page. But I won’t go further with that point, that’s a tailgate thing and it’s not conscious on anyone’s part in here in particular, it’s a societal thing not an individual thing most times. 

So many of these players can’t win. It’s “dance millionaire dance, and the way I want it”. They have to walk that line perfectly and be “one of the good ones” like a pitch perfect McLaurin type, to get fan approval for their persona—passionate but restrained, disappointed in victory but composed, good with the media but not too charismatic or real. Brady is a bigger baby on the sideline, and worse to his teammates when he’s angry, than Cam has ever been and it’s helped fuel his historic career. Someone already mentioned Rodgers. Big Ben has made a career of throwing teammates under the bus. Rivers was a very good guy but so ****ing annoying running his mouth on the field at times that it never would have been tolerated from some others— but from him it was endearing and part of the legend. 

And the funny thing is Rivera just told everyone here what he prefers. He holds Cam AND the way he lives and dies with the scoreboard in high esteem. Agreement from me that Newton is one of the most misunderstood guys in the league, even if I didn’t really want him here at this stage in his career given his remaining skill-set post injury. Anyone who has really spent time paying attention to him or even watching him on Hard Knocks would like him imo. The rest is Skip Bayless type media narratives and prude “old school” fans who don’t realize that if guys like Riggo had been faced with 24/7 media and social media scrutiny back in their day like current players, there’s a decent chance they’d have been manipulated into hating his guts too. 

Jesus Man!  Can I get the Cliff Notes?

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

I'll be so happy if we come out of this QB fiasco without losing picks or over spending. 

Winston is my top choice, but I'm cool with Mariotta.

I'll also be happier drafting one of the second or third tier QBs to sit.

Cam was a passionate fun QB and his teams were always difficult to play against. He was so fun to watch.

• Like 1