Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

This is big news for us....Vet QB options are drying up.

Not really. There weren't all that many to begin with and most of us wanted nothing to do with Newton anyways. 

I never saw us bringing in a vet starter in the mediocre mold. It's either going to be a rookie, a fringe starter vet to hold the reigns for a bit or compete, or a high end trade guy.

Fitzpatrick will be a "oh ****, we missed, let's get a guy that can start if we need him" type for many. It wouldn't shock me to see guys like Fitzy wait until after the draft unless someone throws big cash at him. 

Winston and Mariota are the next blocks to fall.

Edited by KDawg

40 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Not really. There weren't all that many to begin with and most of us wanted nothing to do with Newton anyways. 

I never saw us bringing in a vet starter in the mediocre mold. It's either going to be a rookie, a fringe starter vet to hold the reigns for a bit or compete, or a high end trade guy.

Fitzpatrick will be a "oh ****, we missed, let's get a guy that can start if we need him" type for many. It wouldn't shock me to see guys like Fitzy wait until after the draft unless someone throws big cash at him. 

Winston and Mariota are the next blocks to fall.

No on Trubisky? I am scraping bottom now that things are drying up. Who would be better out of those three? Winston is/was a pick machine and Mariotta may cost to much......Trubisky seems like a better option to me, but I am not a QB guru.  

Multiple beat guys, Finlay, Keim, Standig have said for weeks don't expect Cam.  The Pats signing Cam for me actually helps because my favorite 2nd-3rd tier options:  Fitz-Mariota had the Pats linked to especially Mariota. 

Albright is one of the more plugged in reporters

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

No on Trubisky? I am scraping bottom now that things are drying up. Who would be better out of those three? Winston is/was a pick machine and Mariotta may cost to much......Trubisky seems like a better option to me, but I am not a QB guru.  

No on all of them for me, to be honest. But I can see us involved in all three. But I think Winston and Mariota are the next two to sign.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Kind of a big deal if he’s there as a starter to groom a rookie pick? Also probably means Jimmy G staying in SF. 

neither move likely prevents a rookie QB by any means but it does mean one less team for Winston/Mariota/Trubisky

I think Mariota remains the most likely for us, but I would not discount us going for Jimmy G. When we missed on Stafford, I said then I felt Jimmy G would be next on our list.

Mayhew may have an inside view, I don’t see SF being that keen to pay him 25mil or whatever it is, when that is non guaranteed cash they can essentially walk away from very easily. But, yes NE were the obvious landing spot for him. Unless we are willing to trade a high pick for him and they weren’t.

Could be a few surprises yet....

from NY sports papers

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-sam-darnold-20210312-kzfycdjmfzgunepu2qbc7o6vee-story.html

Not to mention there’s no guarantee Washington will get Darnold or Mariota or whomever they prioritize in the coming weeks or days.

Washington already was in the sweepstakes to acquire both Stafford and Goff, before Stafford steered his way to the Rams in a swap from the Lions. Washington reportedly offered its first-round pick (No. 19 overall), a third-rounder and at least one player off their roster for Stafford. Goff’s price went too high.

If Mayhew and Rivera pursue Darnold as their new priority, there is a chance they could lose him to another suitor, such as the 49ers. The Niners have been linked with interest to Darnold, who might thrive in coach Kyle Shanahan’s play action heavy scheme.

And Jets GM Joe Douglas has stated publicly that he is open to calls, holding the No. 2 overall pick in April’s draft. So Washington isn’t the only team calling.

Washington is here because they released Alex Smith, the starter in that Week 17 win over the tanking Eagles to break the Giants’ hearts. Smith wanted out, too. Washington re-signed backups Kyle Allen and Taylor Heinicke, the near-hero of last season’s playoffs.

But they need their No. 1.

The QB they acquire will either cement Washington as the class of the division or shift the balance of power. Trading for Darnold also would bring some welcome drama.

It will be fascinating to see who they land, and it could have a major impact on Jones’ third and defining season with the Giants.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Makes you wonder what is up with Mariota if all these teams have called about him.  Like, does he want a long term big contract, does he want to be guaranteed a starter or does he have a particular team he wants to go to?  Weird situation with him.... 

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Makes you wonder what is up with Mariota if all these teams have called about him.  Like, does he want a long term big contract, does he want to be guaranteed a starter or does he have a particular team he wants to go to?  Weird situation with him.... 

If you go by the reports its a simple tug of war game between the Raiders and Mariota.

A.  For the Raiders to find a trading partner, Mariota has to budge and renegotiate his contract with the team pursuing the trade.

B.  So why won't Mariota budge?  his goal apparently isn't to help the Raiders FO.  His goal is to actually hit FA where he can choose his team as opposed to the Raiders choosing the team for him and he can give it a shot like any FA to see if a bidding war manifests. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Mariota doesn't really have a say in this. Or at least not directly. It's not like Mariota has a no trade clause. The Raider can trade him anywhere. The problem is that no team wants to take on the existing contract (base of about $10.5 million with incentives that could push it up to and over $20 million). So any team trading for Mariota is hoping to renegotiate his deal. But there's not a ton of incentive for Mariota to do that. If he does nothing, he likely gets released and can pick his own team and play the market for the highest bidder. Plus, what would any team give Mariota that would make it worth his while to renegotiate? If teams aren't willing to take on his current contract, it means they don't want to commit much money to him. And Mariota doesn't want to be locked into a long term contract that pays poorly. He'd either want a bunch of guaranteed money or just bet on himself and hit free agency next year.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd be surprised if its Jimmy G considering his durability.  But I'd bet if Carolina puts Teddy on the market he becomes a target. 

I have to wonder if the WFT is still, still pushing hard with LV for a trade of Derek Carr.  Just wondering.

• Like 1