Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

6 hours ago, -JB- said:

Trubisky id take him in a heartbeat.  29-20 career record & much much much better than Haskins or a one legged Alex Smith next year.  With this defense he could really help us become legit.  

Just such a bizarre take as I can't tell you how many people I've heard say how Tribinski is wasting a good defense and time is running out on getting a QB who won't hold them back.  

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

He won’t inspire confidence in the team.

The team needs a franchise QB or a steady eddy stop gap type. Someone that the players believe in.

I think Fitz fits that. 

Winston doesn’t. 

Trubisky doesn’t.

Stafford does. Smith does. Kyle Allen being here already could. ****, Heinicke could if he starts and wins Sunday.

This team right now needs a steady quarterback.

The problem with Heineken and Allen and Smith are injury history. Stafford the worry is the injuries catch up. 

I don’t know who the guy is and who is available at the moment to be honest. But the ticket isn’t Mitch Trubisky who is too inconsistent to be believed in.

While I agree with most of this post I can't believe you would use Winston and Fitzpatrick as examples of being steady eddies.  These are literally 2 of the most inconsistent QBs we've seen in years. One game they throw for 350 yards and 4 TD, the next week it's 4 picks.  There's  a reason Fitz has bounced around so much, you can't count on the guy because you don't know which Fitz will show up.  The book on Winston is almost complete as well, same story.  

10 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

While I agree with most of this post I can't believe you would use Winston and Fitzpatrick as examples of being steady eddies.  These are literally 2 of the most inconsistent QBs we've seen in years. One game they throw for 350 yards and 4 TD, the next week it's 4 picks.  There's  a reason Fitz has bounced around so much, you can't count on the guy because you don't know which Fitz will show up.  The book on Winston is almost complete as well, same story.  

I in no way, shape or form used Winston as a steady eddy. 

Fitz I agree statistically with you. But his teams always (I live in the Buffalo market so his time with BUF and NYJ are in the regular news cycles here) believe he can get the job done, even in the face of a bad game.

Steady is a bad term to use, that much I agree with. But he has the belief factor.

Im really not sure where you came up with the idea I was using Winston in even remotely the same breath.

17 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Just such a bizarre take as I can't tell you how many people I've heard say how Tribinski is wasting a good defense and time is running out on getting a QB who won't hold them back.  

The reality is that if you’re going to go the veteran FA QB route you’re not getting the shiny new toy.  Trubisky is relatively young at 26 and has gotten a really bad rap.  Guys are still developing through their first few years in the league.  Not everybody is a star out of the gate.  Look at Josh Allen.  I just think if we want to afford to keep an elite Defense intact we are going to have to not way overspend for a QB.   Also, with that said if Matt Ryan becomes available I’d be all for it.  But as of right now with the guys that can become available I’d be much happier with Trubisky than Smith/Allen next season.

4 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Can I point out that Trubisky has played with a near-elite defense for most of his career?

For the record:

Trubisky > Minshew > Newton

And he went 11-3 a couple years ago as starter!  11!!!!!!!!

43 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Fitz I agree statistically with you. But his teams always (I live in the Buffalo market so his time with BUF and NYJ are in the regular news cycles here) believe he can get the job done, even in the face of a bad game.

Steady is a bad term to use, that much I agree with. But he has the belief factor.

Im really not sure where you came up with the idea I was using Winston in even remotely the same breath.

Sorry brother, I missed 2 letters as you described Winston. But I still disagree on Fitzmagic. i don't see any advantage in signing a QB who has broken hearts in so many cities around the league. You just can't count on him not to self destruct at any point in time.  

41 minutes ago, -JB- said:

The reality is that if you’re going to go the veteran FA QB route you’re not getting the shiny new toy.  Trubisky is relatively young at 26 and has gotten a really bad rap.  Guys are still developing through their first few years in the league.  Not everybody is a star out of the gate.  Look at Josh Allen.  I just think if we want to afford to keep an elite Defense intact we are going to have to not way overspend for a QB.   Also, with that said if Matt Ryan becomes available I’d be all for it.  But as of right now with the guys that can become available I’d be much happier with Trubisky than Smith/Allen next season.

The book on Mitchel Tribisky is pretty clear by now.  This isn't like Josh Allen who showed big improvement in his 2nd year and in year 3 he is now very good.  Mitch is completing his 4th season, a season where he was so bad he was replaced by Nick Foles for a time.

I'm not sure how you can say he got a bad rap. He was handed the keys to a team with a really good defense, he has had ample opportunities, and he is wasting that really good defense.  There's little reason to believe that will change in Washington.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

IMO, Trubisky has a negative connotation to him because of where he was drafted.  Chicago messed up big time by picking him over Mahomes and Watson.  But if he put up the same production as a third rounder he’d have a lot more buzz heading into free agency.  That said, I don’t particularly want him as he’ll likely command more than he’s worth.  But if his market is suppressed, you have to keep an eye on him.

8 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

IMO, Trubisky has a negative connotation to him because of where he was drafted.  Chicago messed up big time by picking him over Mahomes and Watson.  But if he put up the same production as a third rounder he’d have a lot more buzz heading into free agency.  That said, I don’t particularly want him as he’ll likely command more than he’s worth.  But if his market is suppressed, you have to keep an eye on him.

Exactly.  Obviously you screwed up drafting him ahead of those two guys especially Mahomes.  I’ll just say it is not easy at all to find value & reliability on the QB market in free agency and oddly enough I think he will be undervalued because Bears fans have wanted him gone for a couple years now.

40 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I would be very happy if we signed Fitzmagic for a year....let him play with this defense and he would do well. Fitz has had a great season thus far and has helped take Miami to the doorstep of the playoffs. 

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It seems like there are two main camps on our defense with some nuance differences.  

A.  It's really good/bordering on elite -- strike new while the iron is hot

B.  It's good but a bit overrated

I am much closer to A.  The relevance to this thread is I want a good QB, not a big maybe. 

I am firmly in camp A.  Teams with elite fronts can beat anybody on any given day, and we have some good pieces to build around in our back 7.  

Which is why I prefer a vet over a rookie.  I feel a rookie would be best if we were starting over, such as where the jets and jags currently are.  If they draft a bust, they can start over at qb while their window is approaching, assuming they have added sufficient talent elsewhere.  I am hoping for a proven vet if available to plug in and own the NFC East for the next 5 years.  We could expect to host a playoff game every year if we are able to acquire a solid vet at qb.

PS - cam newton is dead last on my wish list.  Cross him off my board, hope for whatever is behind door #2.  Take away his mvp season, he has often underachieved, and he pouts when he isn't successful.  We don't need an elite qb to win with this defense, but I at least want a leader who brings more of a positive attitude, not a mope with eroding skills.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I am firmly in camp A.  Teams with elite fronts can beat anybody on any given day, and we have some good pieces to build around in our back 7.  

Which is why I prefer a vet over a rookie.  I feel a rookie would be best if we were starting over, such as where the jets and jags currently are.  If they draft a bust, they can start over at qb while their window is approaching, assuming they have added sufficient talent elsewhere.  I am hoping for a proven vet if available to plug in and own the NFC East for the next 5 years.  We could expect to host a playoff game every year if we are able to acquire a solid vet at qb.

PS - cam newton is dead last on my wish list.  Cross him off my board, hope for whatever is behind door #2.  Take away his mvp season, he has often underachieved, and he pouts when he isn't successful.  We don't need an elite qb to win with this defense, but I at least want a leader who brings more of a positive attitude, not a mope with eroding skills.  

I am worried about our defense. If we don’t re-up Darby we have a problem at corner that has to be addressed. Linebacker needs to be shored. Free safety needs serious attention.

And I am very curious and nervous what happens with Landon Collins. The defense was worse with him (but it was also much earlier in the season). 

I am a little worried about the back 7. 

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

We've clearly created a team identity that's defense first. We don't need a world beater at QB. Shore up the LB and safeties and we could have someone like Chad Henne behind center and be competitive.

This is where I am.

Everyone is worried about a window, but windows can be extended with smart moves and positive drafting. Windows only exist when you back yourself into a corner and can’t navigate out.

Why do we have to go from non-playoff team (even if we get in... 7-9 in most years does not get you in the playoffs) to a Lombardi in a year? We’ve suffered a long time. Let’s not over do it and wind up in a spot where we have 2 years and back to meh. Let’s build. Methodically. Intelligently.

I’m ALL for swinging for the fences on a QB... if he’s the right one and the opportunity presents itself without overreaching and overpaying.

I am more on board with paying more than necessary for a rookie that the team believes in than a veteran.

Otherwise let’s just focus on the surrounding talent and seeing how the QB stuff plays out.

To be clear... I’m not suggesting we don’t prioritize QB. I am suggesting it is a top priority... but not forcing it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

This is where I am.

Everyone is worried about a window, but windows can be extended with smart moves and positive drafting. Windows only exist when you back yourself into a corner and can’t navigate out.

Why do we have to go from non-playoff team (even if we get in... 7-9 in most years does not get you in the playoffs) to a Lombardi in a year? We’ve suffered a long time. Let’s not over do it and wind up in a spot where we have 2 years and back to meh. Let’s build. Methodically. Intelligently.

I’m ALL for swinging for the fences on a QB... if he’s the right one and the opportunity presents itself without overreaching and overpaying.

I am more on board with paying more than necessary for a rookie that the team believes in than a veteran.

Otherwise let’s just focus on the surrounding talent and seeing how the QB stuff plays out.

To be clear... I’m not suggesting we don’t prioritize QB. I am suggesting it is a top priority... but not forcing it. 

Yeah, I agree with you.  Stafford is the only guy who'll require a 1st, and I'm not trading our 1st for him (if he goes, he'll go to an AFC team probably like Indy or NE).  Dalton is a FA and he's not horrible.  Kyle Allen was acceptable.  Heck, what if Heineke balls out?  We desperately need another TE on the roster (Sprinkle is a JAG), at least one other LB, a future LT, WR2, and WR3, potentially CB2 and CB4, FS.  

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I am worried about our defense. If we don’t re-up Darby we have a problem at corner that has to be addressed. Linebacker needs to be shored. Free safety needs serious attention.

And I am very curious and nervous what happens with Landon Collins. The defense was worse with him (but it was also much earlier in the season). 

I am a little worried about the back 7. 

I agree with needing to re sign darby.  If 5 yrs 45 mil gets it done ( me speculating), it would be a smart move imo.  Considering he is coming off a 1 yr 4 mil deal, can stay out on an emerging defense, in an off-season where many teams will be strapped with cap space, I feel confident we can bring him back.  But if he leaves, we have a big hole at one of the most important positions.

Curl has been fantastic, and I'd like to see him play alongside LC.  I know LC has his weaknesses and isn't worth his contract, and plays the same position as KC, but considering we are often in nickel, there has got to be a way to get them both on the field.  FS could use an upgrade, but I wouldn't consider it dire.  Our pass defense has been elite with what we have now anyway.

LBs are a big problem.  I hope KPL comes back and holcomb has a better year next year.  You would think LBs will be a focal point for the next couple offseasons.  Also, recent champs, eagles come to mind and pats seem to have a turnstile at lb, have won with less than heralded linebackers.  We get a couple LBs in first few rounds of next couple drafts, and the unit might not be the strength of the team, but at least won't be an achilles heel. Every team is going to have weaknesses, and an elite d line and solid secondary can make an average lb core serviceable.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is where I am.

Exactly, the Patriots, Kansas CIty, Green Bay, Seattle, etc have had their windows extended with smart decisions.  Yes, QB play helps, but when was the last time those teams before Brady, Rogers, Smith, and Wilson sucked in the last 30 years?  There might have been a small gap of hardship between QB's, but those teams made smart decisions and have been relevant for decades. We've been bad for 30 years with a few sprinkles of playoff appearances. 

Edited by heyholetsgogrant

3 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I agree with needing to re sign darby.  If 5 yrs 45 mil gets it done ( me speculating), it would be a smart move imo.  Considering he is coming off a 1 yr 4 mil deal, can stay out on an emerging defense, in an off-season where many teams will be strapped with cap space, I feel confident we can bring him back.  But if he leaves, we have a big hole at one of the most important positions.

Curl has been fantastic, and I'd like to see him play alongside LC.  I know LC has his weaknesses and isn't worth his contract, and plays the same position as KC, but considering we are often in nickel, there has got to be a way to get them both on the field.  FS could use an upgrade, but I wouldn't consider it dire.  Our pass defense has been elite with what we have now anyway.

LBs are a big problem.  I hope KPL comes back and holcomb has a better year next year.  You would think LBs will be a focal point for the next couple offseasons.  Also, recent champs, eagles come to mind and pats seem to have a turnstile at lb, have won with less than heralded linebackers.  We get a couple LBs in first few rounds of next couple drafts, and the unit might not be the strength of the team, but at least won't be an achilles heel. Every team is going to have weaknesses, and an elite d line and solid secondary can make an average lb core serviceable.

I will go to the bank saying that if your LBs are your weak point you are in serious trouble. Defensively I think you can get away with more average talent at the corners and safety spots than DL/LB. Pressure and closed rush lanes mean those average CBs can tee off. If you can’t defend the run because your DL and LBs don’t plug gaps you are asking to get gashed against both the run and the pass.

LB has one fringe NFL starter in the group. Hudson is a good developmental talent I think. We need at least a single NFL starter. To that point I think I agree that a mid tier type of guy would suffice in helping the defense be better. But the position needs a lot of attention.

Also, I wouldn’t take Moreland off the field in Nickel situations. Dude has been a slot machine and he’s better in coverage than Curl and Collins. Could Curl play the other slot? Yes. But that leaves Collins deep. Which... no thanks. Could Collins play the other slot? Yes. But that leaves Collins at the LoS. No thanks. 

The only alternative, and it’s still scary to me... is if Curl can play FS. That could help us navigate the FS issue. 

I think our D is a little bit overrated right now. Its a good D but still gets gashed in the run too often and until recently was getting lit up by every good QB it faced. With that said, they have tremendous upside and there are resources we can allocate to make it even better. Imagine signing Justin Simmons from the Broncos to play FS and/or Lavonte David from the Bucs to play MLB.

That's why I'd rather draft a QB. Get a good one on a rookie deal for 4-5 years and just stack the team around him.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Everyone is worried about a window, but windows can be extended with smart moves and positive drafting. Windows only exist when you back yourself into a corner and can’t navigate out

It’s weird how we’re talking about an urgent window fast closing when our best player hasn’t even finished his rookie season.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I will go to the bank saying that if your LBs are your weak point you are in serious trouble. Defensively I think you can get away with more average talent at the corners and safety spots than DL/LB. Pressure and closed rush lanes mean those average CBs can tee off. If you can’t defend the run because your DL and LBs don’t plug gaps you are asking to get gashed against both the run and the pass.

LB has one fringe NFL starter in the group. Hudson is a good developmental talent I think. We need at least a single NFL starter. To that point I think I agree that a mid tier type of guy would suffice in helping the defense be better. But the position needs a lot of attention.

Also, I wouldn’t take Moreland off the field in Nickel situations. Dude has been a slot machine and he’s better in coverage than Curl and Collins. Could Curl play the other slot? Yes. But that leaves Collins deep. Which... no thanks. Could Collins play the other slot? Yes. But that leaves Collins at the LoS. No thanks. 

The only alternative, and it’s still scary to me... is if Curl can play FS. That could help us navigate the FS issue. 

Man, if Curl can play FS, he could make a case as one of the better defenders in the league, considering how well he does closer to the LOS. 

I don't disagree with any of the points you make regarding how important LBs are.  But if LBs are our weakest unit, which I agree they are, I don't think that is a huge obstacle.  The 2017 eagles won a super bowl, and their lb core was our very own mychal kendricks (solid lb), and Joe walker, Nigel bradham, najee goode, and kamu grugier-hill.   The pats last super bowl, they had hightower (solid) and elandon roberts and Kyle can noy off the scrap heap from the lions.  

I have confidence with the way the skins have been drafting, that they can add a couple young lbs in the next couple drafts to add in with KPL, Holcomb, hudson, SDH, and have a group that's not pro bowlers, but whoever emerges from that group and wins the jobs will be serviceable to give us an elite defense considering our elite d line and solid secondary.

Which brings me back to my original point regarding our back 7, we aren't necessarily where we want to be this moment, but with darby, curl, LC, everett, KPL, holcomb, hudson, SDH, etc, we have enough solid pieces that if we add in a few more to that group, we will have positional battles that whomever emerges will be able to get the job done.  And with the eagles and pats examples, they didn't need high draft picks or high priced free agents to fill those spots.  If the holes were pass rusher, cb, OT, QB, then that would take premium assets to acquire ( and we have needs there too), but I feel confident the way that we have been drafting that the core we already have in place can be added to with less than premium capital to be successful units.  That's the luxury of having an elite d line, which we do.

6 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Man, if Curl can play FS, he could make a case as one of the better defenders in the league, considering how well he does closer to the LOS. 

I don't disagree with any of the points you make regarding how important LBs are.  But if LBs are our weakest unit, which I agree they are, I don't think that is a huge obstacle.  The 2017 eagles won a super bowl, and their lb core was our very own mychal kendricks (solid lb), and Joe walker, Nigel bradham, najee goode, and kamu grugier-hill.   The pats last super bowl, they had hightower (solid) and elandon roberts and Kyle can noy off the scrap heap from the lions.  

I have confidence with the way the skins have been drafting, that they can add a couple young lbs in the next couple drafts to add in with KPL, Holcomb, hudson, SDH, and have a group that's not pro bowlers, but whoever emerges from that group and wins the jobs will be serviceable to give us an elite defense considering our elite d line and solid secondary.

Which brings me back to my original point regarding our back 7, we aren't necessarily where we want to be this moment, but with darby, curl, LC, everett, KPL, holcomb, hudson, SDH, etc, we have enough solid pieces that if we add in a few more to that group, we will have positional battles that whomever emerges will be able to get the job done.  And with the eagles and pats examples, they didn't need high draft picks or high priced free agents to fill those spots.  If the holes were pass rusher, cb, OT, QB, then that would take premium assets to acquire ( and we have needs there too), but I feel confident the way that we have been drafting that the core we already have in place can be added to with less than premium capital to be successful units.  That's the luxury of having an elite d line, which we do.

SDH is most likely gone after this year.  LB play has been pretty bad sans KPL on covering flats and using his speed, Bostic on blitzes, and Cole all around.

15 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

It’s weird how we’re talking about an urgent window fast closing when our best player hasn’t even finished his rookie season.

Having studs on their rookie contracts is a huge advantage.  Look at the Seahawks with russell wilson.  He was cheap on his rookie deal, and the Seahawks were able to surround him with premium talent, and they were elite.  Then they had to pay Russ to retain him, and there is obvious drop in talent surrounding him, and the Seahawks aren't quite the force they were a few years back.  Having their star qb on the rookie contract was a huge advantage.

And I don't believe I'm cracking the code or telling you anything you don't know, but we are currently at a huge advantage where young, sweat, payne, allen, curl, gibson, t mac etc are all on their rookie contracts.  Those are our stars.  So there is a special window before those rookie contracts expire where we can use remaining cap space to supplement them.  Once they are extended, or even worse forced to walk, there will be less cap space to supplement their talent, and it's hard to expect to be as well rounded as we could potentially be over the next few years. 

Now, as @KDawg mentioned, you can absolutely stay competitive with solid drafting and FA decisions, but just as the Seahawks have shown, they are still good, but not as great as they were during their "window".  

11 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Having studs on their rookie contracts is a huge advantage.  Look at the Seahawks with russell wilson.  He was cheap on his rookie deal, and the Seahawks were able to surround him with premium talent, and they were elite.  Then they had to pay Russ to retain him, and there is obvious drop in talent surrounding him, and the Seahawks aren't quite the force they were a few years back.  Having their star qb on the rookie contract was a huge advantage.

And I don't believe I'm cracking the code or telling you anything you don't know, but we are currently at a huge advantage where young, sweat, payne, allen, curl, gibson, t mac etc are all on their rookie contracts.  Those are our stars.  So there is a special window before those rookie contracts expire where we can use remaining cap space to supplement them.  Once they are extended, or even worse forced to walk, there will be less cap space to supplement their talent, and it's hard to expect to be as well rounded as we could potentially be over the next few years. 

Now, as @KDawg mentioned, you can absolutely stay competitive with solid drafting and FA decisions, but just as the Seahawks have shown, they are still good, but not as great as they were during their "window".  

This is true. But if we are unwise and rush to a savior and the move doesn’t pan out not only do we not have a window but we squandered our rebuild.

image.jpeg.e8c2030f1e2ef7eca24b8e466610c434.jpeg

My point here isn't about Haskins.  But hopefully the owner keeps his hands out of this decision.  QB is his pet move and boy is that dude bad at it.  Hopefully he lets the professionals run this.

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/vomit-3-better-choices-inside-the-wft-drafting-of-dwayne-haskins

What we have also heard is this: As the Washington pick at No. 15 drew closer, there was not much discussion and banter in the tense war room. Kyle Smith, then the director of college scouting and now the vice president of player personnel, had three players to select at the Washington spot, according to sources.

Three names. "Haskins'' was not among them.

Montez Sweat, who Washington would later trade back up in the first round for with Indianapolis, was one of the players. Sweat later cost a 2019 second-rounder and then what turned out to be the No. 34 overall pick this year to move back into the first round. 

What's more is, Smith apparently waited and waited as the clock and picks started to inch closer to Washington's choice ... and then he started to take some command of the room.

Smith started to ask questions on what the choice was going to be. Sources described to us a tense silence. Smith asked the room specifically: Is the organization really thinking of taking Haskins?

At that point, one voice chimed in. It was the owner's voice, confirming that Haskins was going to be the choice.

His choice.

More silence ensued in the moments around the pick and with the pick made, Smith pushed himself up from the table and unloaded on the room - a speech that was described as "fiery and passionate'' about the pick and how much he disagreed with the selection.

Smith then sat down. Some in the room that night have told us since that they thought he would be fired immediately. Maybe he sat down just in time to retain his job?