Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

4 hours ago, dyst said:

Yah really. What is his excuse this year? He doesn’t have weapons? His defense sucks? People always make excuses for him. He’s played in a weak NFC his entire career, how many Superbowls has he made? I don’t think he is anywhere near Brady when it matters most.

I mean he doesn’t have weapons. If St Brown makes that catch or Aaron Jones doesn’t fumble every time he’s touched it’s a different game. 

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

Rodgers you say? I’d give up a touch more for him than Stafford. But his age means it isn’t too much more. If I’m willing to give a one and three for Stafford I’m willing to give a 1 and 2 for Rodgers. Maybe a 7th and a ham sandwich included.

Stafford isn't going to choose WFT over the Patriots or Colts. 

I just listened to the Rodgers press conference... he almost sounded like he was thinking about retiring.

As far as the Packers go, I’m not sure Jordan Love is any good. There’s been no buzz about him at all there. So either they’re doing a great job keeping it under wraps or he’s not picking the game up fast enough.

Per SportsCenter, when LaFleur was asked if Rodgers would be back next year he said, “I sure as hell hope so”. 

Now, Rodgers is a top QB of all time so you can’t blame him or look too far into it, but if it was a Favre/Rodgers situation I don’t know if he would have been so adamant. 

If they lose Rodgers they may be in the QB sweepstakes, too. 

Edited by KDawg

Washington’s new front office is facing an important offseason, starting at quarterback

The day after Ron Rivera was fired by the Carolina Panthers in December 2019, he held a news conference to say goodbye and reflect on his nine years as the team’s coach. He turned a 2-14 team into a division winner and eventual Super Bowl contender before it was derailed by “attrition,” as he described it. Injuries piled up and, most notably, hindered their quarterback.

“Our problems really didn’t start until when?” he asked reporters that day. “Until our quarterback got hurt.”

Two years later, Rivera is still searching for a solution at quarterback, but this time in Washington, where his team built a foundation in his first year with a strong defense, a few budding stars and a spot in the playoffs. For the first time in years, the Washington Football Team has hope of developing into a respectable team — a winning team — but only if Rivera and his newly built front office, with General Manager Martin Mayhew and executive vice president of football/player personnel Marty Hurney, can successfully revamp a roster that has many glaring holes.

Their priority is undoubtedly quarterback, a position that has featured nine starters over the past five seasons (playoffs included) and has no lead candidate for 2021.

...Washington needs a franchise quarterback, and it believes coordinator Scott Turner’s Air Coryell offense has proved it can succeed with drop-back pocket passers or mobile dual-threat players.

“Physical traits are one part of it, but they come in all shapes and sizes,” Turner said in November. “… You’ve got to be accurate, and you’ve got to make good decisions.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/01/25/washington-front-office-offseason-questions/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/25/tom-brady-bucs-chiefs-super-bowl-fmia-peter-king/

Peter King speculates about the trade cost (I think he is way off).  He says:

Colts (#21)

Denver (two #2 OR #2+Lock)

Pats (#15)

49ers (Jimmy G+2022 2nd)

Us (#19)

Pitt (#24)

NO (#28)

NO WAY is that the price.  He's clueless about the fact that you need at least 20 million in cap space to do the deal now.  NO, Pitt, 49ers, and Denver don't even have that now.  

Its between us, NE, and Indy.  Does Stafford want to go to a rebuilding NE with no weapons (I think they are shopping this off-season to be fair).  Indy is our competition. 

4 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

NO WAY is that the price.  He's clueless about the fact that you need at least 20 million in cap space to do the deal now.  NO, Pitt, 49ers, and Denver don't even have that now.  

The 49ers can reportedly cut Jimmy G and create 24mil in space instantly. Edit - And he does have a no trade clause that he would have to waive if a trade was in the works.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The 49ers can reportedly cut Jimmy G and create 24mil in space instantly. Edit - And he does have a no trade clause that he would have to waive if a trade was in the works.

Yeah, but they need to resign Trent first (and their entire secondary for the matter).  We all know Trent.  He's not taking discounts.

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, but they need to resign Trent first (and their entire secondary for the matter).  We all know Trent.  He's not taking discounts.

Yep. I think Trent probably walks. I also expect some of that secondary to get a look from our new GM. Posted the list a while back. 

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I understand bird in the hand and all, but shouldn't we be waiting to see how the situations with DeShaun Watson and Aaron Rodgers play out before going all in on Stafford?  Aaron freaking Rodgers might want out of his current team, we have got to at least try and get him if that happens.

I said yesterday that the Stafford announcement must have accelerated some discussions over Watson. They all have to link. Much like our move with Alex Smith. 

Just get everybody on one big Zoom meeting and sort it out today :rofl89:

I understand bird in the hand and all, but shouldn't we be waiting to see how the situations with DeShaun Watson and Aaron Rodgers play out before going all in on Stafford?  Aaron freaking Rodgers might want out of his current team, we have got to at least try and get him if that happens.

GB is currently negative 32 million in the hole.  If they do trade him, I think there is no way he's staying in the NFC.  GB still wants to win (and are in a division that can still win).  Indy is easily the #1 option here.  They have the cap room to absorb him easily.

I actually view Stafford as the best fit of the three for WFT given his age, 2021 cap hit, and relative price tag. He’s four years younger than Rodgers, which should give us a little bit of a bigger window. He’s got a $10m lower cap hit this year, when we’re still in the market for help at WR, LT, LB, etc. 

And Watson isn’t happening for any team not picking in the top 5. We’d have to chip in an additional two 1sts just to match the value of Miami’s 3 overall. We’d be easily outbid. 

Just now, skinsfan_1215 said:

I actually view Stafford as the best fit of the three for WFT given his age, 2021 cap hit, and relative price tag. He’s four years younger than Rodgers, which should give us a little bit of a bigger window. He’s got a $10m lower cap hit this year, when we’re still in the market for help at WR, LT, LB, etc. 

And Watson isn’t happening for any team not picking in the top 5. We’d have to chip in an additional two 1sts just to match the value of Miami’s 3 overall. We’d be easily outbid. 

Yeah, We don't have the assets to trade for Watson (unless we were trading Chase Young).  If Watson is traded (I still doubt it), he's either a Jet or a Dolphin (who both have the assets).

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

The bottom line with Rodgers and Stafford is that Rodgers is preferable in almost every circumstance because he's so much better.  He's one of the best players in the history of the sport.  If you are truly going for a SB, then age and the marginal cap space to add one more expensive starter matter way less than getting a QB who is every bit the equal of the Tom Bradys and Patrick Mahomeses of the league.

If you have a real chance at getting Rodgers and Stafford, and you pick Stafford because he's younger and cheaper, then that is the half measure.  I'm worried that this franchise is settling into a mindset of comfortable mediocrity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Stafford isn't going to choose WFT over the Patriots or Colts. 

Why would you think this? Just curious? What if we offered him a better extension? What if he really liked playing for Martin Mayhew and trusts in our plans for him? What if he's intrigued by having a defense like WFT has? What if playing for Ron Rivera intersts him? 

I'm just curious why you think this, not trying to be nasty about it. 

• Thanks 1

The bottom line with Rodgers and Stafford is that Rodgers is preferable in almost every circumstance because he's so much better.  He's one of the best players in the history of the sport.  If you are truly going for a SB, then age and the marginal cap space to add one more expensive starter matter way less than getting a QB who is every bit the equal of the Tom Bradys and Patrick Mahomeses of the league.

If you have a real chance at getting Rodgers and Stafford, and you pick Stafford because he's younger and cheaper, then that is the half measure.  I'm worried that this franchise is settling into a mindset of comfortable mediocrity.

I don't think you need to worry about that, if you listen to RR, these players want to win badly and are working hard. He wants to reward that. I think you'll be pleased with this offseason and the moves they make. Mayhew helped build the SB Niners team so he will bring that here. 

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Why would you think this? Just curious? What if we offered him a better extension? What if he really liked playing for Martin Mayhew and trusts in our plans for him? What if he's intrigued by having a defense like WFT has? What if playing for Ron Rivera intersts him? 

I'm just curious why you think this, not trying to be nasty about it. 

I can see him picking Indy over us.  Jags are rebuilding.  Ditto Houston (if they are trading Watson).  Titans are solid competition.

The Pats?  I see a downward spiral.  They really don't have much young talent.  Josh Allen is going to rule that division.  Miami is coming on strong and is loaded with future picks.

I think we are solidly in the 2nd preferred destination (with a slightly higher pick) than Indy.

33 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/25/tom-brady-bucs-chiefs-super-bowl-fmia-peter-king/

Peter King speculates about the trade cost (I think he is way off).  He says:

Colts (#21)

Denver (two #2 OR #2+Lock)

Pats (#15)

49ers (Jimmy G+2022 2nd)

Us (#19)

Pitt (#24)

NO (#28)

Its between us, NE, and Indy.  Does Stafford want to go to a rebuilding NE with no weapons (I think they are shopping this off-season to be fair).  Indy is our competition. 

Keep on mind that even though things are mutual and I'm sure there will be some cooperation, the Lions organization has final say and hold the cards over Stafford. They're going to do what's best for the organization. If the Pat's offer the best incentive, the Lions will make a business decision. Not to mention that I'm sure they would prefer trading him to a team out of the conference.