Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Yeah, I’m much more worried about NoLa than Indy.

Yeah and New Orleans tends to be aggressive when they have a target. 

I wasn't a Bruce guy but I'll give him one thing he can outbid people in trades, he got his man, arguably all bad trades, but still het got his target. 

Should be interesting to see how this new FO rolls on that front. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

if I recall you brought up Stafford first long time ago.  But I've taking perhaps the most arrows on this thread for pushing Stafford.  We need to get on the horn with Rivera now and bring it home. 

giphy.gif

I say pass on Stafford.....this is McNabb 2.0, but more expensive.

He will cost a ton of draft picks and a ton of money.  This team needs a game manager at QB, not an elite QB.

I'm not all in on giving up so much draft captial and money....sign our guys and keep drafting studs. 

But considering the fact that Kyle Smith is moving on, it looks like we are going all in on some QB.  I think this will lead to the downfall of our team if we go all in on a trade and sign.

I think we should keep the picks and sign a guy like Jameis.  If he wets the bed then you have 2 guys that can win games in Heinicke and Allen.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Don't underrate the extension component. Stafford will want a new deal wherever he ends up and that negotiation will give him influence over the destination.

Do not underrate the Mayhew connection.

I think we are the betting favorite to land him. More likely than Indy. But let's see.

1.  What are the chances Stafford doesn’t mind not getting an extension as part of the trade?  He’ll still be making serious money with Indy paying him.  Different story from a 1 year deal and the risk of injury, obviously.

2.  Does he have leverage beyond refusal to play?  Sorry, of course he could refuse an extension, I just meant does he have any relating language in his contract.

Edited by skinny21

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah and New Orleans tends to be aggressive when they have a target. 

I wasn't a Bruce guy but I'll give him one thing he can outbid people in trades, he got his man, arguably all bad trades, but still het got his target. 

Should be interesting to see how this new FO rolls on that front. 

If Stafford calls his shot and picks NO or SF, that’s fair play.

I’ll fall back to nabbing Darnold for 3rd and build LBs and Fat Boys.  Win the damn division anyway.

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

1.  What are the chances Stafford doesn’t mind not getting an extension as part of the trade?  He’ll still be making serious money with Indy paying him.  Different story from a 1 year deal and the risk of injury, obviously.

2.  Does he have leverage beyond refusal to play?

1. Low - he will want to get paid and he'll want a fresh round of guaranteed $

2. No but it doesn't matter. The agent is the one playing hardball in this regard and I guarantee the agent will negotiate extension terms w/ trade partners prior to a deal going down. Bc the extension also affects what a bidder is willing to give up. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dexter said:

I say pass on Stafford.....this is McNabb 2.0, but more expensive.

Disagree.

5 minutes ago, Dexter said:

He will cost a ton of draft picks and a ton of money.  This team needs a game manager at QB, not an elite QB.

I

If a playoff appearance is our goal without winning a Super Bowl, I'd agree.   How many game managers are playing tomorrow?  Yeah once in a blue moon you can win with a Nick Foles but that's the outlier not the predominant way to win a SB.   Yeah the next Mark Brunell could take us to the playoffs but we are unlikely going to ever win a SB with one. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Going against the general consensus, I’d pass on Stafford at this time. Would love a QB that can rush the ball consistently and affectively it would really maximise our playbook.

He’s undoubtably a top quality player, but I’d rather be a bit more patient and get the right fit for us. Plus I’d really resent giving away any first round picks for a player of that age.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Don’t care about his record. Don’t care about lack of playoff wins or experience.

He can make all the throws. The time is now.  Make it happen.

The irony of this post and your screen name.  You definitely own that screen name bro lol McNabb are we going to for a second forget how excited fans got about obtaining McNabb?  Detroit wouldn’t want to give up on Stafford if they didn’t know something.  Same as Philly with McNabb.  Cmon!

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Besides how silly I think this statement is...

The awesome thing about QB’s that can make all the throws is that they can win by managing games and with their arm when it calls for it.

Agreed.  Another point  I didn’t mention (in my earlier post) that would appeal to Stafford, the number of games we came from behind with the qb talent we had (not to mention avg points allowed).

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If Stafford calls his shot and picks NO or SF, that’s fair play.

I’ll fall back to nabbing Darnold for 3rd and build LBs and Fat Boys.  Win the damn division anyway.

I am in with you on Stafford.  The more I digested Darnold the less i like the idea - the thing that dogged him in college was fumbles and picks.  What has dogged him in the NFL?  Fumbles and picks.    If we get Darnold we can no longer laugh at Jones' turnovers -- Darnold is practically a clone of Jones on that front. 

I was wondering what was taking so long for the people who have been trashing the idea for weeks to come out.   :ols:     This has been a hot debate on this thread with no consensus.  At least its likely going to be put to rest one way or another soon.    If this doesn't happen, I am guessing the next debate is about Darnold and on that one I'll join the naysayers if a rumor arises of any interest on our end. 

Just now, -JB- said:

The irony of this post and your screen name.  You definitely own that screen name bro lol McNabb are we going to for a second forget how excited fans got about obtaining McNabb?  Detroit wouldn’t want to give up on Stafford if they didn’t know something.  Same as Philly with McNabb.  Cmon!

Personally, I wasn’t pumped about McNabb.  

QB wins and playoff wins and all that jazz doesn’t mean much to me.  Can the QB make all the throws?  Has he proven he can do that in live fire in the NFL? If the answer to both is yes, he’s among the top 10-15 in the league and I’ll take my chances with that all day, everyday and twice on Sunday.

The Lions are starting fresh with a coach that wants to eat kneecaps.  Stafford wants to win before he retires.  It’s that simple.

• Like 1

My guess is the agent and team agree on required compensation, then let Stafford choose. Won’t be a bidding war. 

Who knows how it will shake out, this is where relationships, reputation, and roster talent matter. Have to imagine the team will be right in on it. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I was wondering what was taking so long for the people who have been trashing the idea for weeks to come out.   :ols:     This has been a hot debate on this thread with no consensus.  At least its likely going to be put to rest one way or another soon.    If this doesn't happen, I am guessing the next debate is about Darnold and on that one I'll join the naysayers if a rumor arises of any interest on our end. 

I don't want Darnold at all.  I think he stinks.  Stafford is a different story.  With the lack of medical this year, 1st rounders are trickier than ever.  Denver could theoretically outbid anyone if they offered the #9 overall pick.  Does Stafford want to go there?  Indy has a lower 1st rounder than we do, but they play in a division with only the Titans as threats (especially if Watson is traded).  They also have the cap space and are out of the conference.  We have the marginally higher 1st rounder.  I'd trade #19+3rd.

SF doesn't have the cap space (especially since they want to resign Trent).  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Personally, I wasn’t pumped about McNabb.  

QB wins and playoff wins and all that jazz doesn’t mean much to me.  Can the QB make all the throws?  Has he proven he can do that in live fire in the NFL? If the answer to both is yes, he’s among the top 10-15 in the league and I’ll take my chances with that all day, everyday and twice on Sunday.

The Lions are starting fresh with a coach that wants to eat kneecaps.  Stafford wants to win before he retires.  It’s that simple.

Also numerous indications are that Stafford wanted out.   Reid wanted to dump McNabb.   Totally different circumstances.   Besides them being two very different players -- Stafford way more talented.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1