Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

27 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You draft your stud, you don’t trade major assets to acquire them. That’s what I saw.

Other teams in the past haven't tried to unload their franchise QBs at 25 but were rejected when they tried because other teams in the NFL wanted to draft their own guy.  So there isn't an example that you can apply to this from the past.  Maybe I am forgetting one but its not common. 

This isn't about trading for a washed up veteran but a top 5 Qb in the prime.   I can't think of examples that exist of it. 

And as we know who wouldn't love drafting their own top 5 QB.   It sounds great.  But in reality its very very very very very hard. :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise

52 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yeah that’s the key point, the potential Watson situation is so unique you have to view it in isolation, not get lost in the noise of all if those non comparable situations from the past. 

Yep.

The odds we get him are just about nothing.  But in theory if something like this was possible, I'd be all over it.  It's not like the Dolphins were calling around the league to unload Marino in his mid 20s or GB tried to dump Rodgers when he was 25.  The whole scenario is so crazy I'd still be surprised the Texans do it. If he gets traded it’s likely for a ransom and I’d bet multiple teams would be willing to offer a lot.

This isn't like trading for some washed up veteran who was never elite -- which is the typical QB trade.  And yeah every Redskins fan would love to just find their own Watson in the draft but considering where we are picking and this roster, I'd put the odds on us successfully drafting a Watson clone in the draft in the next few years at maybe 5% tops. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yeah that’s the key point, the potential Watson situation is so unique you have to view it in isolation, not get lost in the noise of all if those non comparable situations from the past. 

does that mean you wouldn’t trade for Mahomes if he had a major fallout in KC. Or Josh Allen with Bufallo?

Yes. For the assets and cap? Yes.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Athletic, they gave some trade scenarios for different teams but not us

If those offers are a realistic view of his market, then we probably can't match those offers without adding Chase Young.  That makes me antsy.  That's tinkering with the identity of the team and the foundation of the rebuild.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If those offers are a realistic view of his market, then we probably can't match those offers without adding Chase Young.  That makes me antsy.  That's tinkering with the identity of the team and the foundation of the rebuild.

Any player would be for me on the table except Chase Young.

Picking 19th though makes our pick yawn in comparison to others so I think we got no shot 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I kinda think the WFT’s chances of landing Deshaun are better than people think. In the end, if we are willing to give up more than others, Houston’s gotta listen. I would fire up the trade machine and give them what they want (within reason) outside of Chase.  

I think the hard part of it is in their shoes I'd want either Fields, Wilson, Lance or a ready QB I like.  We can't provide that.  So a trade with us would have them stuck on ground zero at QB.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

think the hard part of it is in their shoes I'd want either Fields, Wilson, Lance or a ready QB I like.  We can't provide that.  So a trade with us would have them stuck on ground zero at QB.

Hou will want the best package possible, but this is not about what Hou wants.

Watson's no trade clause means he gets to choose his next destination, and he wont care what Hou gets back in return. If Watson's short list of acceptable landing spots only features teams that are unable or unwilling to give a draft pick high enough to get a top QB in the draft, than Hou is flat outta luck.

We have a pretty good inclination that he will accept a trade to MIA, and they could facilitate that, but we don't know how much they value Tua and their high draft picks, or if Hou would even want Tua if they are just going to take a new guy.

I'm sure the Jets would love to acquire him, but who knows if Watson will accept a trade to a bad team that is losing its best assets to get him.

A lot of ??? around this, and that kind of keeps us in a state of play

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Guys we dont have the ammo for watson...i see him going to the jets falcons or cowboys.....please hope he jerrah doesnt do something crazy

Well, but maybe we do.  We have ridiculous depth at DT - considering Ioannidis and Settle are backups.  People are going to punch me for saying this, but now is the time to trade Jonathan Allen - who could be featured in a trade for Watson.  He's going to be a UFA after next season, and he's already making 10.5 million in 2021.  I know he's a heckuva young player and one of the best young leaders in the NFL, but we have the replacements, and we are blessed with Young as the defensive leader.  If we can get Watson for Allen and our FRP - plus a little salad dressing - gotta do it.  Now, if Watson costs 2 1sts plus Allen (and he might), I'm not going for it, and I'll see about that QB in Detroit.  Apologies if someone's already suggested something like this.  

I also hate to say it, but trading for Watson or Stafford would stop Alex Smith from returning to Washington, and that'd be a good thing for Washington vs him returning under his current contract.         

The issue for us is our draft picks aren't as valuable as others. For one, we're offering #19 this year compared to other teams offering top 5-10. Secondly, our team with Watson would presuambly be a contender, meaning our future 1sts would be in the mid to late 20s. Meanwhile a team like the Jets even with Watson are likely to still be picking in the top 10.

We'd have to offer four 1sts to any teams offering three.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The issue for us is our draft picks aren't as valuable as others. For one, we're offering #19 this year compared to other teams offering top 5-10. Secondly, our team with Watson would presuambly be a contender, meaning our future 1sts would be in the mid to late 20s. Meanwhile a team like the Jets even with Watson are likely to still be picking in the top 10.

We'd have to offer four 1sts to any teams offering three.

To some there is no cost not worth the trade. I wouldn’t touch any deal like that with a 100 foot pole, but I get the excitement to have Watson. ****, I’d be amped about him while simultaneously feel depressed about the assets involved.

I just don’t get the sentiment of trading so much. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 3:57 PM, Darrell Green Fan said:

Ruzious!  My old friend from my first message boards from 21 years ago. How are you friend?

I see you still have bad takes.  ;).  Flacco or Kolb are terrible examples, flashes in the pans who have bounced around the league since their one and done.  Again look at the teams left, and the teams that always seem to be there.  In the vast majority of cases they have solid, established QBs.  Going the Marcus Mariotta or Joe Flacco route is not the answer, we need to find our long term guy.  

Hey Dave.  Hope you're doing well. I won't mention our previous board, but I finally had enough sense to leave - and find a much better place.  I definitely don't think Flacco's the answer - especially in today's NFL.  But I do think you can win with a great team surrounded by a solid but not great QB - as Washington did 3 times back when you were young... or younger, I should say.  Hmm, have we had this discussion before?  🙂     

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Hou will want the best package possible, but this is not about what Hou wants.

Watson's no trade clause means he gets to choose his next destination, and he wont care what Hou gets back in return. If Watson's short list of acceptable landing spots only features teams that are unable or unwilling to give a draft pick high enough to get a top QB in the draft, than Hou is flat outta luck.

We have a pretty good inclination that he will accept a trade to MIA, and they could facilitate that, but we don't know how much they value Tua and their high draft picks, or if Hou would even want Tua if they are just going to take a new guy.

I'm sure the Jets would love to acquire him, but who knows if Watson will accept a trade to a bad team that is losing its best assets to get him.

A lot of ??? around this, and that kind of keeps us in a state of play

Yeah I know he does have the right to refuse trades.    Even though this team IMO is on the rise, if the dude wants to escape dysfunction and bad ownership this place hasn't exactly been Shangri La.  So I don't know if we can count much on him saying not there but WFT heck yes.   You never know.  But if I am the Texans I am hardcore trying to work a deal with Miami or the Jets.    We know Watson already wants to go to Miami.  I'd use other teams as leverage to push Miami to offer a bounty.  Their escape hatch here IMO is getting Fields or Wilson. 

If I’m Miami I’m making the trade. They don’t kill themselves due to all of their resources... then after I turn around and shop Tu’a for a first and likely settle on a second.

Tua for a second or third is intriguing. I’d need to do a lot of deep digging on his time in Miami, though. 

• Like 2