Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Rams of Anaheim

KDawg

12 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

They should be actively looking into how to get rid of Landon Collins’ contract ASAP. Terrible signing then. Terrible signing now.

As I’ve been saying all offseason, a good DL doesn’t equal a good defense. 

Yes Collins was never mobile enough to fit the needs.

Should also be leaking rumors that they will listen to trade offers on Dlinemen and trade one away. 

They also should have never drafted Chase. As great as he is and could be, the amount of holes on this team (as KDawg points out) has not changed since the last draft and FA but increased. They should have gathered picks and filled some of the massive holes on this roster instead of selecting another DL which was the only position not in need of major change.

The OL must be fixed first and foremost. 

Their defensive line played the way ours is supposed to. I'm glad to see some fans are finally realizing what I have been posting for a while. Jonathan Allen has been nothing special, fans continue to believe he is more than that based on his projection on draft day and being a "steal" where he was selected.  But the fact is he has been nothing more than "pretty good" since he got here, if that.  

As for the QBs Dwayne never faced anything close to the pressure we saw yesterday. Kyle Allen was clearly an upgrade, he escaped a big sack that Dwayne would have surely taken, he hit receivers in stride for maximum YAC. He was playing fine before the injury, still can't believe he was cleared to return.  That looked like concussion for sure.  

26 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at the fact that with a win next week and a Dallas loss (playing Arizona), this team will be back in first place.

I am totally rooting for the train wreck of a 5-11 division winner. That would be funny as Hell to me in this time of nothing else to root for.  

It’s  so like this team to have Haskins crash and burn, his back up get hurt the first game he plays and then Alex stink it up and now we are. QTR into the year with the same helpless feeling we have every year. Who didn’t see this coming. 

38 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Their defensive line played the way ours is supposed to. I'm glad to see some fans are finally realizing what I have been posting for a while. Jonathan Allen has been nothing special, fans continue to believe he is more than that based on his projection on draft day and being a "steal" where he was selected.  But the fact is he has been nothing more than "pretty good" since he got here, if that.  

Of the 3 stud DL we're supposed to have, Ionnidis and Payne have been better than Allen has been, IMO.  That DL should be killing people,they really aren't.  But I'll reserve full judgement until they get some damn LBs in here.  I suspect the synchronous aspect of the front 7 is missing because the 3 LBs aren't any good.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Coming out of last season, Wes Martin's stock was on the upswing.  Now, not so much.

In fairness to Wes Martin, Donald is a handful for anybody.  He’s been playing “ok” so far but he ran into an elite talent and that didn’t work out is well for him. 

57 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

OL has been ignored for a while. It'll take a focus on FA and a few years of drafting guys high to turn it over. 

ALWAYS take OL early, even if you don't need a starting one that moment. An elite OL changes everything.

Yeah but not really.  There are a ton on mid round picks spent on the OL.  And Scherff was the #5 pick in the draft.  

Moses and Christian are both 3rds (I think).

They also drafted Charles, who’s been hurt.

I like the 2000’s when they legitimately ignored the position for an decade minus FA and trades, they’ve spent draft capital on the OL.  It just hasn’t worked out as well as hoped. 

50 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

As for the QBs Dwayne never faced anything close to the pressure we saw yesterday. Kyle Allen was clearly an upgrade, he escaped a big sack that Dwayne would have surely taken, he hit receivers in stride for maximum YAC. He was playing fine before the injury, still can't believe he was cleared to return.  That looked like concussion for sure.

I am inclined to agree he had a little more accuracy to him, and his legs helped. 

I don’t think either one is the answer.  Allen doesn’t have the arm talent.  Actually, right when Smith came in, it looked like he had a pretty live arm.  But clearly he doesn’t have the mobility he used to, and how could he?  Then as the game went on it looked like his passes lacked some velocity.  

I bet Ron is wishing like hell he’s convinced Cam to come here for a year.  

But I take Ron at his word he wanted to see what Haskins had.  Now he knows.  Shrug.  

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I like the 2000’s when they legitimately ignored the position for an decade minus FA and trades, they’ve spent draft capital on the OL.  It just hasn’t worked out as well as hoped. 

In the 2000's, they had Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen freshly printed from the 1st round factory as bookends. The inside was nothing to be excited about, but it's not like they just threw mid-rounders at the wall like the team is doing now. Brandon Scherff and Trent Williams were the exception over a 5 year period. Both paid off when they were on the field together.

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

Does anyone know anyone who has been saying linebacker is the weakest unit on the team forever?

Looking at the entire LB depth chart, it is absolutely brutal. There's not one legit starter in the whole group. That's what most frustrating to me.  We came out of last season and our main additions at the position were a past his prime LB with one foot in retirement (who still might be the best one), and a journeyman special teamer type. And the big holdover was also a journeyman special teamer type.  So even if we allow for Rivera his first offseason to rearrange some personnel and prepare to move forward (as evidenced by the 1 yr deals to KPL and Davis), next offseason better have some definitive upgrades at LB. And Holcomb's around injured, and he's ok, but I'm not even really sold on Holcomb being anything more than a solid depth piece. 

This team reminds me of 2014 in many ways except two (those being London, England, and Brussels, Belgium which I got to visit that awful year). 

I did have a Team-like moment that year in London when at a bar I asked for something besides the usual English equivalent of Budweiser (Brits under 50 don't sit around drinking room-temperature stout anymore their Guinness was cold -- nooooooo).  I was offered an exotic ale called Anchor Steam.   I love Anchor Steam; been drinking it since the late '80s.  One of these days I might even tour the brewery, which is only a few neighborhoods over from me.  Thankfully I was already too drunk to do the math necessary to determine how much Anchor I could have bought with my airplane ticket $ if I'd stayed home.

12 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

In the 2000's, they had Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen freshly printed from the 1st round factory as bookends. The inside was nothing to be excited about, but it's not like they just threw mid-rounders at the wall like the team is doing now. Brandon Scherff and Trent Williams were the exception over a 5 year period. Both paid off when they were on the field together.

I think our OL during the Kirk years was probably underrated.  And maybe having a QB that knows what he's doing probably helps, but when they had Trent, Scherff, and Moses was adequate for a year or two before he fell off, that OL was at worst, solid.  I think it was Williams, Lavauo, Long, Scherff, and Moses.  I think it was 2016, because that was the one year Lavauo wasn't getting thrown around.  The pass protection was decent, and the run blocking was decent (I think they were top 10 in YPA that year).   

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

When your safeties and backers can’t cover, you’re not stopping many teams.

Absolutely, and that's a problem -- overall, outside of week 1 the defense has been just OK.  But, the offense is so incredibly bad at this point that the defense just doesn't get a break.  

The entirety of the organization is a mess man....just terrible.  On and off the field.  We're 5 weeks in and there's talk of trading your 1st round QB pick from a year ago.  Think about that -- debacle.

4 minutes ago, Alexa said:

This pile of mess had 100 yards of offense yesterday. How do you do that in an NFL game? 100 yards! That is almost impossible in the league today. 

Milli vanilli taught me to blame it on the rain.  

I'm also not convinced that yesterday proved Alex smith doesn't have it anymore.   The guy played one half of football in terrible weather, coming off a catastrophic injury, with not many snaps in this new system, vs a good defense.  Understandable why he looked the way he looked.

I think we all know who Kyle Allen is, and his limited ceiling.  I'd like to see Alex smith be named the starter, get the practice reps, and see how he does.  Unfortunately, it sounds like Allen will start next week vs giants.  

And as far as haskins goes, think about how lucky arizona was to get a 2nd for rosen after they drafted murray.  That is a pipe dream for our situation, even though rosen had his performance and personality issues as well.   If we wanted to move haskins, which I'm not sure is the best move, we'd be lucky to get an early day 3 pick.

14 minutes ago, Alexa said:

This pile of mess had 100 yards of offense yesterday. How do you do that in an NFL game? 100 yards! That is almost impossible in the league today. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/arizona-cardinals-worst-offensive-yardage-playoff-history

78 yards for Arizona in the 2015 Playoffs!

It's shocking how bad offenses can perform in this era. 

154 against SF last year was pretty abysmal as well.

50 minutes ago, Probos said:

Absolutely, and that's a problem -- overall, outside of week 1 the defense has been just OK.  But, the offense is so incredibly bad at this point that the defense just doesn't get a break.  

The entirety of the organization is a mess man....just terrible.  On and off the field.  We're 5 weeks in and there's talk of trading your 1st round QB pick from a year ago.  Think about that -- debacle.

It looks like Haskins was a huge reach and the current staff has no connection to him.  Better to just cut bait and move on.  Having said that, I think we need to look for another OC next year, too.  Not impressed by Scott Turner's offense thus far.

I think Kyle Allen has a real shot to be our quarterback. He checks a lot of boxes. He can push it down the field, he is accurate, and he can move.  People forget how young he is. He has like 12 games started and he is 24 years old.  Like all quarter backs you worry about interceptions and sacks but that is everyone.  I think we may have a gold nugget but time will tell.

Archived