Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Rams of Anaheim

KDawg

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I would love to be on the sideline and in the locker room one game when the OL is getting whipped like that.  Just to see how uncomfortable it is. 

Steven Montez walks by them...

"Hey guys, nice job out there today!"

I am surprised at the number of people who are already writing off Alex Smith. 

He probably got a series of practice with the #1s this week with Kyle making his first start.  It started pouring in the second half.  And we were already down by double digits against a good defensive front. 

You've seen all you need to see?  Sheesh. 

Just now, Crowbarman said:

He probably got a series of practice with the #1s this week with Kyle making his first start.  It started pouring in the second half.  And we were already down by double digits against a good defensive front. 

Yes. Until the line is fixed. 

This isn’t the offense he thrives in. 

29 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

It looks like Haskins was a huge reach and the current staff has no connection to him.  Better to just cut bait and move on.  Having said that, I think we need to look for another OC next year, too.  Not impressed by Scott Turner's offense thus far.

I think most thought he was a reach immediately after drafting -- hand picked by Dan is at minimum always gonna be a reach.  

If he's traded for a ham sandwich or a serving of avocado toast it's an abject failure,...yet again.  Yeah,...I agree, Turner's offense really seems to lack creativity.  The O-line play is a big factor -- when your QB has 2.3 seconds to get rid of the ball before being buried,...wow.  

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Nobody thrives.   But he did have one of the fastest releases in the NFL prior to getting injured.  This can be very helpful to a struggling OL.  And maybe.. Some running plays. 

I posted about it in another thread, but my thoughts on Smith: He can play better if he has more time being a starter in the system. The problem is that at 36 years old in a 1-4 season, there's not much point in investing time in him if you haven't written off Kyle Allen 100%. Sentimental feelings aside, it takes a disaster for Alex Smith to still be on the roster next year. Kyle Allen can and should earn his right to a backup job.

I love Alex Smith and I think he can be better. I just don't think we're in a situation where either side benefits trying.

34 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Actually it is. He doesn’t need an elite OL, just a bunch of checkdown options and one go to guy a little further downfield. What he has with JD, AG and Terry is pretty much Alex Smith.

But as others have stated, as long as the OL is THAT bad no one would thrive in it.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Actually it is. He doesn’t need an elite OL, just a bunch of checkdown options and one go to guy a little further downfield. What he has with JD, AG and Terry is pretty much Alex Smith.

But as others have stated, as long as the OL is THAT bad no one would thrive in it.

Someone that can break the pocket would be okay. Not thrive. But be okay. Hence, Kyle Allen. As long as he doesn’t break himself.

8 hours ago, Crowbarman said:

Welcome aboard....to your point, I am hoping Alex decides to retire this week. Being a QB on this team isn't in his best interest....He made it all the way back but the risk just isn't worth the reward. I assume he saw what happened to Dak yesterday? I'm wondering if his wife can continue to go along with this without losing her mind???? And I was all for getting him back in there before yesterday too? 

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Welcome aboard....to your point, I am hoping Alex decides to retire this week. Being a QB on this team isn't in his best interest....He made it all the way back but the risk just isn't worth the reward. I assume he saw what happened to Dak yesterday? I'm wondering if his wife can continue to go along with this without losing her mind???? And I was all for getting him back in there before yesterday too? 

I don’t see him as the type to retire in the middle of the season but I’m sure he had thoughts last night and this morning. 

9 hours ago, Crowbarman said:

Love the story...hate the check down.

Haskins is near the bottom--or at the bottom--in damn near every air yards stat I could find. Kyle Allen so far is somehow even worse.

Intended Air Yards per attempt

Haskins – 6.7

Allen – 3.2

Complete Air yards per attempt

Haskins – 2.5

Allen – 0.8

Bad Oline, mediocre OC, two young QBs who can't overcome either of these two things while simultaneously trying to correct their own issues.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Haskins is near the bottom--or at the bottom--in damn near every air yards stat I could find. Kyle Allen so far is somehow even worse.

Haskins – 6.7

Allen – 3.2

Haskins – 2.5

Allen – 0.8

Bad Oline, mediocre OC, two young QBs who can't overcome either while trying to correct their own issues.

Neither one of them is the answer. So, let them suck, who cares? We have so many holes, it doesn't matter really. We need 2 LBs, 2 S, 3-4 OL, 1-2 WR, TE...

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Neither one of them is the answer. So, let them suck, who cares? We have so many holes, it doesn't matter really. We need 2 LBs, 2 S, 3-4 OL, 1-2 WR, TE...

That's one argument for keeping Haskins in.

What pisses me off is that Terry Mclaurin has now played with SIX different QBs in just 19 games. I mean, for ****'s sake....

That's one argument for keeping Haskins in.

What pisses me off is that Terry Mclaurin has now played with SIX different QBs in just 19 games. I mean, for ****'s sake....

I understand leaving Haskins in--BUT, if the attitude rumors are true, if he was bragging about his meaningless 300-yrd game, if those maturity issues are affecting the entire team, if he's the entitled turd he's painted to be, then benching him helps establish that culture. You aren't going to be given anything--and you have to continue to earn it. But that's been discussed ad nauseum in the other thread, and I really have no interest in rehashing the same arguments over again.

10 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I understand leaving Haskins in--BUT, if the attitude rumors are true, if...

Yeah, key word there is "if"...I understand you're not saying you know for a fact that they are. But in my mind, there would have to be some serious immaturity going on behind the scenes...and I guess I'm not ready to convince myself that must have happened if Rivera benched him down to 3rd string. I do believe it was more than just his play, though...but I also know that someone paraphrasing someone else can make things sound better/worse than they really were. I was actually told by a mod years ago to not paraphrase others here and instead use the quote thing--well, it's not the quote thing, it's like you reference their post without quoting it...or something lol...but anyway, they felt I wasn't characterizing what the other poster was saying correctly and gave me a kind of warning. Full disclosure: the mod was on the other side of a heated debate taking place at the time and I got the impression that they were defending the person I was paraphrasing. But I mean, the importance of realizing how things can be perceived inaccurately even by someone as perfect as I am lol...I wouldn't immediately take the "bragging" info as anything to shape my opinion around.

10 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Haskins – 6.7

Allen – 3.2

Haskins – 2.5

Allen – 0.8

Bad Oline, mediocre OC, two young QBs who can't overcome either of these two things while simultaneously trying to correct their own issues.

We're not trying to run an offense where the QB drops back in the pocket and beats you with his arm down-field. That ship has sailed.

Obviously we don't have the O-line, RBs, WRs or TEs. (and the wrong OC)

The offense we're trying to run is what will mask all that. Short passing game, screens, RBs who can catch.... etc.

You're not going to see Kyle Allen throw downfield but you're going to see the Gibson's and Mckissick's in this offense get a chance to bust a screen or get the ball in space. 

Haskins can't run this kind of offense. He doesn't fit here. 

1 minute ago, Mooka said:

We're not trying to run an offense where the QB drops back in the pocket and beats you with his arm down-field. That ship has sailed.

Obviously we don't have the O-line, RBs, WRs or TEs. (and the wrong OC)

The offense we're trying to run is what will mask all that. Short passing game, screens, RBs who can catch.... etc.

You're not going to see Kyle Allen throw downfield but you're going to see the Gibson's and Mckissick's in this offense get a chance to bust a screen or get the ball in space. 

Haskins can't run this kind of offense. He doesn't fit here. 

Haskins was vilified for doing exactly what you described against the Ravens. It was said the playbook had to be severely "dumbed down" for Haskins with a bunch of screens, dump offs and slants and that Kyle Allen playing would allow Turner to "open up the play book".

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Haskins was vilified for doing exactly what you described against the Ravens. It was said the playbook had to be severely "dumbed down" for Haskins with a bunch of screens, dump offs and slants and that Kyle Allen playing would allow Turner to "open up the play book".

Haskins was vilified for the mistakes he made in big moments, which nullifies a lot what he did the rest of the way.

The sack, the 4th down play where he was told to go in the end zone and didn’t, missing open receivers running down field and then, allegedly, bragging about how good he was after the game.

Of course, there’s always someone upset with the check downs and YAC, but that’s what our offense kind of has to be. To me, and a lot of others, that’s not a reason to criticize the guy. It’s what he did in big moments that earned him ire against Baltimore. In my opinion.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Haskins was vilified for the mistakes he made in big moments, which nullifies a lot what he did the rest of the way.

He was vilified for both. I only mentioned him being vilified for the abundance of dump-offs and screens because that was the topic of my earlier post as well as the tweet in response to it.

Correct but id say he's vilified because we lose and can't score points.

You can't run a dumbed down version of a non-vertical offense. Everything has to be crisp and you have to be able to control the LOS, get the plays off, make the correct reads quickly

Watch Haskins run an option or toss the football to a RB... its not 100% there. The screens are too slow developing. He doesn't seem to control the LOS to find what the defense is doing. There's little motions or hot routes or dummy audibles. 

Haskins is on the wrong team in the wrong offense. (Ron knew this before coming here)

18 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Correct but id say he's vilified because we lose and can't score points.

You can't run a dumbed down version of a non-vertical offense. Everything has to be crisp and you have to be able to control the LOS, get the plays off, make the correct reads quickly

Watch Haskins run an option or toss the football to a RB... its not 100% there. The screens are too slow developing. He doesn't seem to control the LOS to find what the defense is doing. There's little motions or hot routes or dummy audibles. 

Haskins is on the wrong team in the wrong offense. (Ron knew this before coming here)

Your criticisms of Haskins' short-pass game against the Ravens are different from the conventional wisdom criticisms of Haskins' short-pass game against the Ravens.

Archived