Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Rypien? Why?

El Mexican

Brett Rypien:

Why are you not playing for Washington Football Team? Did your uncle convince you to NOT come here?

Anyone watch last night's game versus the Jets?

The kid showed great moxy and psycological fortitude when it mattered, even if he had three INTs and a pick 6.

Fantastic throws in primetime I have not seen from Haskins yet.

"But the Jets are terrible. Their QB Darnold is questionable". Maybe.

They wiped the floor with us last season. Remember that one?

If there ever was an easy pick for us, this was it. It would have been a huge boost for the fanbase.

I see a great future for him with the Broncos.

5 hours ago, El Mexican said:

If there ever was an easy pick for us, this was it. It would have been a huge boost for the fanbase.

I see a great future for him with the Broncos.

He's a rookie who's started one game. 1 week wonders seem to be the trend these days with Minshew, Mullens, Matt Flynn, etc. Not many one week wonders pan out.

Brett Rypien is a UDFA who has a whole season for teams to figure him out. The huge boost from an ex-QB's nephew would end quickly if and when he flops. I'm not bothered by missing out on a UDFA who's played 1 single game.

4 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

I don't think signing the nephew of a former GOOD QB (not great) would boost anything. Most people who would've been marginally excited by something like that have long since abandoned hope.

But he doesn't have a blase' haircut!

BTW, that pass to Jeudy, that should have been pick 4.  Jeudy snatched that thing from the DB's grasp like he'd been studying film of McLaurin.

I'm not making any wild predictions, and I don't know how good he'll be. But I am a fan, and hope he does well.

If he becomes the starter for Denver, I may even become a Bronco fan.

Can you imagine the irony and awkwardness, hypothetically if Mark Rypien was actually our QB when we stomped the Broncos in the Super Bowl, instead of Doug ; then his nephew joins Denver ?
That would be like Brett Rypien joining Buffalo, instead of Denver.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm not making any wild predictions, and I don't know how good he'll be. But I am a fan, and hope he does well.

If he becomes the starter for Denver, I may even become a Bronco fan.

Can you imagine the irony and awkwardness, if Mark Rypien was our QB when we stomped the Broncos in the Super Bowl ; then his nephew joins the team ?
That would be like Bret Rypien joining Buffalo, instead of Denver.

Especially since it was Doug Williams who was the QB when Washington stomped the Broncos in the Superbowl. 

Edit: Ok, you mean hypothetically if Mark Rypien was the QB in 87 instead of Doug Williams.  Or if Brett Rypien had joined the Bills.

10 hours ago, NickyJ said:

He's a rookie who's started one game. 1 week wonders seem to be the trend these days with Minshew, Mullens, Matt Flynn, etc. Not many one week wonders pan out.

Brett Rypien is a UDFA who has a whole season for teams to figure him out. The huge boost from an ex-QB's nephew would end quickly if and when he flops. I'm not bothered by missing out on a UDFA who's played 1 single game.

I put Matt Flynn on my "What if" list.  He never really got a chance.  After serving as Rodgers backup for all those years, his two starts in his last two seasons in his first stint with the Packers (against the Lions and the Patriots) opened a few eyes, and he wound up getting a decent contract offer from the Seahawks, which was supposed to be his chance to shine as a starter.  But then they drafted Russel Wilson who obviously took the starter position.  After getting cut, he winds up in Oakland where they think Terrell Pryor is their man.  Flynn gets to start one game when Pryor is hurt, and puts up a better completion percentage and passer rating than Pryor, and also put up a more TDs than INTs, unlike Pryor.  But regardless, Flynn got cut and sent to the Bills where he never got a chance to start before being cut again and returning to the Packers.

After their 3rd string QB failed to move the ball at all against the Vikings, Flynn was brought in half way into the 3rd quarter to lead a 16-point come-back to earn a tie.  Had another big comeback win against the Cowboys.  Wound up putting up a completion percentage of 61% and quarterback rating of 86 in those 4.5 games with the Packers that season, along with his 64% and 84 QBR in that one game with Oakland.  Perhaps not all-star numbers, but I don't get how he was never given another chance to start somewhere given all the QB-needy teams in the league.

20 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I put Matt Flynn on my "What if" list.  He never really got a chance.  After serving as Rodgers backup for all those years, his two starts in his last two seasons in his first stint with the Packers (against the Lions and the Patriots) opened a few eyes, and he wound up getting a decent contract offer from the Seahawks, which was supposed to be his chance to shine as a starter.  But then they drafted Russel Wilson who obviously took the starter position.  After getting cut, he winds up in Oakland where they think Terrell Pryor is their man.  Flynn gets to start one game when Pryor is hurt, and puts up a better completion percentage and passer rating than Pryor, and also put up a more TDs than INTs, unlike Pryor.  But regardless, Flynn got cut and sent to the Bills where he never got a chance to start before being cut again and returning to the Packers.

After their 3rd string QB failed to move the ball at all against the Vikings, Flynn was brought in half way into the 3rd quarter to lead a 16-point come-back to earn a tie.  Had another big comeback win against the Cowboys.  Wound up putting up a completion percentage of 61% and quarterback rating of 86 in those 4.5 games with the Packers that season, along with his 64% and 84 QBR in that one game with Oakland.  Perhaps not all-star numbers, but I don't get how he was never given another chance to start somewhere given all the QB-needy teams in the league.

I remember after Flynn, "the next Matt Flynn" really benefited from his huge contract.

I think it was Matt Cassel.

And I think after Cassel, teams stopped giving huge contracts to one-game wonder backups.

I think Ryp had some fun moments for sure. He showed poise and leadership. His lack of arm strength showed on that pass to Jeudy that Jeudy saved him on, he had a throwaway attempt picked off...

I’ll type that again... he had a throwaway attempt picked off. 

I liked how a young guy took chances downfield and had control of the game from a mental aspect, but I’m not going to pretend he played well. 

He played like a less physically talented, but smarter, Jameis Winston.

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I remember after Flynn, "the next Matt Flynn" really benefited from his huge contract.

I think it was Matt Cassel.

And I think after Cassel, teams stopped giving huge contracts to one-game wonder backups.

I don't know about Cassel being a good comparison for Flynn. Matt Cassel started 15 games for the Patriots after Tom Brady's season-ending injury.  After that, he started 48 games over the next 4 seasons for the Chiefs.  All-in-all, he wound up starting over 80 NFL games.  Plus, he had already gone to the Chiefs before Flynn got his contract from the Seahawks.  You might be thinking of someone else.

Archived