Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

2 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I absolutely am rooting for Alex.

I broke my leg pretty much the same way (damn near came off actually). I was able to see pictures of my leg before it was put back together. Same ****. My mom told me the doctors said life first, lose the leg. She fought for both and thank God it worked out. I was young and fearless back then. Over time, I was able to play football again. But I still had an internal fear that pretty much never went away. I worked out, got some steps back and was able to play college ball. But my leg would have always been a question going any further. To this day, my leg has a slight deformity and is a smidgen shorter than my other leg. This causes visits to the chiropractor and other alignment and hamstring issues. But beyond that (which I'm sure Alex will easily address), I would say his biggest hurdle will be psychological. I hope it works out for him. I've said this before about the love for this game called football. It is not something you can really explain to someone that doesn't love the game or is casual fan of it. But for those of you that truly love this game, root for Alex with your very soul.

It would be absolutely epic if the team won the SB and Alex was able to take a few snaps, throw a TD pass and take the final knee. I'm sure DH would not have an issue with it all.

Broke tibia and fibula 30 years ago.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.6d65c5424b91059e1e099cea6de19a10.jpg

Incredible story! Yours too. I broke tib/fib plus pilon fracture of ankle by slipping on ice 3 years ago. My leg was sideways. I do the grandpa shuffle whenever there is ice or water on the ground now. I can only imagine 300 lbs. lineman falling at my feet!

Indredible story.  I'm happy for him and his family, and I was pulling for him.  I can't imagine what a trial it was for him to get back to this point.

Alex Smith healing and rehabbing and making it back to the field is one of the few recent things we've had to genuinely feel good about with this team as fans.  Maybe things are looking up?

Amazing recovery. Must be one of the most horrific injuries that a pro sportsperson has truly fought to come back from? I really wish him all the best......

Now with that said, not sure I see his long term value here anymore. I guess he’s just fine in a stable of Haskins, Allen, and himself in the short term. His money is guaranteed this year right. I’d be interested to know if this is where he wants to fight for a place. Maybe he doesn’t. Wonder what his own aspirations are, it must be to play again as a starter for a number of years yet?

Great comeback though. Incredible levels of self belief. And clearly a very highly respected and person of high integrity. 

10 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Having 3 QBs with our O-line might not be a terrible idea. I just can’t imagine he’d start. So I wouldn’t care if he’s either QB 2 or 3 at this point.

Highest paid 3rd string QB in the NFL.

To me, still having is leg is the blessing, not a chance to play football again.

It's really hard to separate the respect I have from him from the business aspect of this conversation alone.  We need to cut him soon as hes cleared by the team's medical staff.

We probably cant legally talk him I to retiring while under contract, but once we cut him, offer him a job as part of the rebrand, something he wants (I havent heard specificly what that is besides playing or possibly front office).

8 hours ago, primetime441 said:

Smith is back from a near amputated leg while John Wall is still collecting his disability checks. Go figure. 🤣 

Watch your mouth 😡

25 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Highest paid 3rd string QB in the NFL.

To me, still having is leg is the blessing, not a chance to play football again.

It's really hard to separate the respect I have from him from the business aspect of this conversation alone.  We need to cut him soon as hes cleared by the team's medical staff.

We probably cant legally talk him I to retiring while under contract, but once we cut him, offer him a job as part of the rebrand, something he wants (I havent heard specificly what that is besides playing or possibly front office).

Watch your mouth 😡

He’s a sunk cost. His numbers are on the books regardless. And the $$$ spent on the position group won’t change. From my understanding, we’re not cutting him until next offseason anyways. So if I have a choice.... and this is ALL assuming he can play (and resumes the level he left off at), and I understand that may be a very big IF, then I think it’s a pretty good position group. 

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

He’s a sunk cost. His numbers are on the books regardless. And the $$$ spent on the position group won’t change. From my understanding, we’re not cutting him until next offseason anyways. So if I have a choice.... and this is ALL assuming he can play (and resumes the level he left off at), and I understand that may be a very big IF, then I think it’s a pretty good position group. 

I can see the logic strictly form a depth standpoint.

Alex was below average his first year here for a starter, but for a third string QB, I can live with that, stricly from a depth standpoint. 

But what about the rest if the team strapped for depth and talent?

If season is canceled, do contracts get pushed forward and we have to wait another year to cut him?  Do we really want to wait to find out?

If he can really play, another solution would be to trade him.

If Alex Smith can ever actually play again, should the Redskins consider a trade?  

>>>If Alex Smith really can return to the football field then the Washington Football Team owes it to the 36-year-old quarterback to find a trade partner.<<<

Scroll down the intial article, to get to the one about Alex. 

Given the circumstances — where we are in the NFL schedule — I just can’t see any team trading for Alex. But, if it’s at all possible, that’s probably the best-case scenario. And I’d love to see if Kyle could pull it off 🙂

Massive respect, what a tough son of a ****.

I've said in the past that I don't think he'll ever play again and I haven't changed my mind yet, but to be in a position where he could play is amazing. He's still got to overcome some major mental hurdles to run out on the field again and I would stand and clap him if he managed it, but if I'm honest I would prefer him to retire for his own sake.

I am frustratingly ambivalent on this for the same reasons others have offered.

Alex’s fortitude, courage and determination in the face of overwhelming obstacles is off the charts and the stuff of legend.

OTOH the potential for a disastrous outcome, should he ever step on the field again, is absolutely soul crushing.

I just hope this ends well for Alex and his family but it feels like it’s moving towards a tragedy of epic proportions.

His leg itself should technically be stronger than before the injury. It’s between the ears where there could be an issue. That and he wasn’t exactly tearing up the field before he was hurt and has been out almost two years.

His salary is stuck on the books, anyway, regardless whether he is cut or traded. Too much guaranteed money. 

In the end Alex will have to retire.  

The Team is really going to let a 36 year old QB, compete for the starting job?  A QB coming off a major injury and there's no guarantee he can survive a football hit. He could get injured worse.  We spent a 1st round draft pick on Haskins.  We need to find out, if he's truely the answer at QB.  We can't find that out, if he's on the bench.   We ride this season, whatever of it that can be played with Haskins.  If it works out, we are set.  If not, we are drafting his replacement in 2021.

Maybe, we can trade Alex; so he can have a shot somewhere.  I don't know where that would be.  I think Alex needs to come to the realization his career is realistically over.   Because of Bruce Allen; he's set financially. 

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

His leg itself should technically be stronger than before the injury. It’s between the ears where there could be an issue. That and he wasn’t exactly tearing up the field before he was hurt and has been out almost two years.

His salary is stuck on the books, anyway, regardless whether he is cut or traded. Too much guaranteed money. 

Exactly. Indeed the bone is stronger than before the injury. I'd be interested to know if their are still pins in it. Ultimately the mindset is key. 

But you see post of people saying he should not play or they envision failure. It's really a reflection of your own self doubt and failures. Careful with that.

Archived