Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I would agree with the idea of exploring a trade, working on the expectation we pay the bulk of his salary and the pick in return is likely a late round pick at best

Maybe bears would be interested?  Matt Nagy and Alex Smith were together in KC , and Nagy needs to win now, especially with Khalil Mack not getting any younger.  

But I agree with you, I don't see anything better than a 6th/7th, with us potentially sending a pick back as well, for a 36 year old recovering from such a devastating injury.  And we could very well not get offered anything.

Not having a preseason pretty much shatters any hope of us getting anything decent in a trade for him, before the 2020 regular season.

If he could play a couple games, even meaningless ones, to showcase what he's currently capable of doing, would probably boost his value, compared to just going through a training camp that's closed to the public.

36 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Maybe bears would be interested?  Matt Nagy and Alex Smith were together in KC , and Nagy needs to win now, especially with Khalil Mack not getting any younger.  

But I agree with you, I don't see anything better than a 6th/7th, with us potentially sending a pick back as well, for a 36 year old recovering from such a devastating injury.  And we could very well not get offered anything.

there was an article months ago speculating that Smith would end up at the Bears if he ever got back to playing football again.

21 minutes ago, primetime441 said:

Aw did I make you cry? 😜

No, you didn't, you disappointed me instead.

Wall wore his knees and heels into the ground for the ****-hole Wizards, had his Achilles pop during recovery while his mom was dying from cancer. His mom is dead now and the pandemic has set back his recovery due to social distancing requirements, per the GM.

https://hoopshabit.com/2020/06/30/washington-wizards-john-wall-update/

Alex Smith played 10 games for the Redskins, John Wall has been with the Wizards for 10 years now.  

I know I'm throwing folks off with my takes on Smith, trying to be pragmatic about this, not an asshole.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

No, you didn't, you disappointed me instead.

Wall wore his knees and heels into the ground for the ****-hole Wizards, had his Achilles pop during recovery while his mom was dying from cancer. His mom is dead now and the pandemic has set back his recovery due to social distancing requirements, per the GM.

https://hoopshabit.com/2020/06/30/washington-wizards-john-wall-update/

Alex Smith played 10 games for the Redskins, John Wall has been with the Wizards for 10 years now.  

I know I'm throwing folks off with my takes on Smith, trying to be pragmatic about this, not an asshole.

What does his mother dying have anything to do with him missing 2 years due to an injury? Obviously what happened is awful and no human should have to go through.

I made the comment in jest. I found it funny that the guy was about to lose a leg and is back before Wall or Bryce Love for that matter. Lighten up my dude.

• Like 1

I can't imagine anyone with the team NOT being ecstatic for Smith whenever he reaches a new milestone, including Haskins and Allen. Smith appears to be universally loved by his teammates, coaches, and (at least here) the team owner.

Be prepared, though, if Smith is cleared by team doctors and is practicing with the team...there will absolutely be those among the fans and the media who will start chiming in with speculation about Haskins being "worried" he won't be starter, and then using that speculation as a foundation and justification for declaring Haskins as immature, selfish, lazy, and wanting the position handed to him. Toss in a few "He was Snyder's choice, not Rivera's" and "Will Dan let Ron pick who should start?" comments out of habit lol...

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You couldnt ask for better mentors atm than Alex and Kyle because he knows the system. Hopefully these guys soldier their roles and truly support Dwayne....and hopefully DH doesnt trip up too much 

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I can't imagine anyone with the team NOT being ecstatic for Smith whenever he reaches a new milestone, including Haskins and Allen. Smith appears to be universally loved by his teammates, coaches, and (at least here) the team owner.

Be prepared, though, if Smith is cleared by team doctors and is practicing with the team...there will absolutely be those among the fans and the media who will start chiming in with speculation about Haskins being "worried" he won't be starter, and then using that speculation as a foundation and justification for declaring Haskins as immature, selfish, lazy, and wanting the position handed to him. Toss in a few "He was Snyder's choice, not Rivera's" and "Will Dan let Ron pick who should start?" comments out of habit lol...

Well, Dan does have a history of that.

If this team is pinning any future on Smith; then they are lost.   If he can play, wherever that will be; it is for a short term 1-2 years at best.  Then you are looking at having to get a new QB. Rivera pins his hopes on Smith and he's probably looking at a shorter tenure.

This season has to be whether Haskins is the long term answer.  If he fails, we got Kyle Allen to pick up the slack for this season.  Yeah, Kyle isn't a long term answer either but he did play for Rivera last year.  So, if Haskins can't do it; we got Kyle.   Of course, this will mean we are drafting a QB next year; if Haskins doesn't pan out.  So, the future at QB is Haskins or our 2021 draft pick.  It isn't a 36 year old, coming off major injury, Alex Smith.

8 hours ago, ntotoro said:

His leg itself should technically be stronger than before the injury. It’s between the ears where there could be an issue. That and he wasn’t exactly tearing up the field before he was hurt and has been out almost two years.

His salary is stuck on the books, anyway, regardless whether he is cut or traded. Too much guaranteed money. 

Yeah, I’m not entirely sure about that and I’m no doctor, so what do I know.  The bone is one thing, but they had to take pieces of muscle from the back and move it to the front, take something out of the other leg and put it in the injured leg, all kids of crazy stuff.  

Sure, the bone (or rather titanium rods) might be stronger, but I’m not sure the rest of his leg would be as strong or powerful.  

Especially for a QB who relies so much on mobility, that’s gotta have an effect.

His story is inspiring.  I’m sure he’s going to go out and compete his ass off.

But the Skins need to be smart.  They have to start him on the PUP list so they could PUP him for the beginning of the season if needed.  Having him around, and mentoring Dwayne, is absolutely wonderful.  But they need to be smart about it.  

Ron has said its Dwayne’s job to lose.  They need to do right by Alex and bring him along extremely slowly from the football activity side. 

9 hours ago, ntotoro said:

His leg itself should technically be stronger than before the injury. It’s between the ears where there could be an issue. That and he wasn’t exactly tearing up the field before he was hurt and has been out almost two years.

His salary is stuck on the books, anyway, regardless whether he is cut or traded. Too much guaranteed money. 

No that's not true. His leg is not in anyway stronger than before.  You're referring to a greenstick fracture seen in youth injuries.  It doesn't work like that when you age.  His leg will have calcium deposits that will reinforce the fractured sites, however the bone above and below these sites will lack defined muscle tissue and be more unstable than before.  There's a danger of an even worse fracture at the points that would not be worth the risk.  Not for Alex Smith nor the team that puts him on the field. 

Edited by TheShredder
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

No ones giving up anything for a guy who's leg looks like a chewed up hot dog. It is however, a very nice thought

• Like 3

Florio predicts he wins the job and does very well, due to the fact that he has always thrived in chaotic circumstances.

Note : If you read what he says, it's not a knock on Haskins. Just showing how circumstances may reveal where they differ and separate.

Alex Smith gives Washington a viable option at quarterback

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/26/alex-smith-gives-washington-a-viable-option-at-quarterback/

"Second-year quarterback Dwayne Haskins has the draft pedigree and the potential. But in a year with so much chaos and turmoil, Smith’s ability to thrive in unusual circumstances and to overcome so much adversity could give the 36-year-old a chance to finish his comeback with something much more significant than receiving medical clearance to play after suffering a gruesomely broken leg that became so badly infected that he nearly died."

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Confused 1

Remarkable story.  Should be a movie someday.   Rocky like.  Incredible.  I wasn't in love with his play that season, I thought he was so so but maybe it would pick up the season after when he mastered the system.  But was sold on him as a guy from the moment we acquired him.  I loaded up the Alex Smith thread at the team with testimonials about the dude. 

Digesting the implications to the team.  According to Sheehan, if Alex clears the Redskins doctors physical that's a big hurdle.  He believes if he fails then the Redskins can recoup 11 million in cap insurance.

Keim said in his podcast it's going to be different as to clearing to practice versus clearing to play.  He expected the clearing to practice part but he has doubts that he will be cleared to play in games. In other words, being cleared to handle contact is different than practicing without contact.

Personally, I think he's the perfect backup type to egg on Haskins' best.  I do think Haskins has the more talented arm and upside.  And Alex is 36 so he isn't the future.  But as a backup, if he can find his old game he's certainly an improvement over Kyle Allen. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Good stuff sip..completely agree with Smith's play last season..it was so so...but was manageable...hell we had a decent record when he went down. If he's cleared by the team to play I see it as a backup roll..which I'd be ok with...its haskins job to lose..I would just absolutely **** if smith was able to come back and play.

• Like 1

keep in mind everyone...

Joe Theissman was cleared by his doctors to play again as well...

He went out there..tried...retired.

Now I know medicine is much better these days, but let's be reasonable here. Big props to Alex for recovering, but let's not automatically think this means heated QB competition yet. 

Mentally, who knows where he is...and who knows if he can take the rigors of an actual practice let alone a game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whatever way to provide external motivation for Haskins I’m good with, especially in these early years of adulthood. Smith is the type of guy you want to push Haskins. I’m for whatever gets Haskins exposed to Smith’s approach to being a QB. 

No doubt in my mind Smith gets himself cleared, so buckle up.