Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

On 7/25/2020 at 2:32 PM, wit33 said:

Make Haskins win and earn the job. You know, how it should be done, but not with the Skins. Earn your keep here! 

The best two QBs in the league, the last two league MVPs, were both given the starting job.

"Work for your spot" is a dumb concept. Its better to pick a guy and commit to him from the start so he gets all the reps and attention.

22 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Florio predicts he wins the job and does very well, due to the fact that he has always thrived in chaotic circumstances.

Note : If you read what he says, it's not a knock on Haskins. Just showing how circumstances may reveal where they differ and separate.

Alex Smith gives Washington a viable option at quarterback

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/26/alex-smith-gives-washington-a-viable-option-at-quarterback/

"Second-year quarterback Dwayne Haskins has the draft pedigree and the potential. But in a year with so much chaos and turmoil, Smith’s ability to thrive in unusual circumstances and to overcome so much adversity could give the 36-year-old a chance to finish his comeback with something much more significant than receiving medical clearance to play after suffering a gruesomely broken leg that became so badly infected that he nearly died."

There will be NOTHING connected to Smith's injury that is more significant than that. It indicates he is almost 100% healthy (or actually is 100% healthy). That is overwhelmingly the most significant part in his journey. Playing football again is not.

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The best two QBs in the league, the last two league MVPs, were both given the starting job.

"Work for your spot" is a dumb concept. Its better to pick a guy and commit to him from the start so he gets all the reps and attention.

It’s situational, but I hear you, for most part 1st and 2nd round picks (not automatic anymore, as teams have learned not to just give second rounders anything) are given a chance to start, but when is often predicated on their readiness and some form of earning it. 

Mahomes and Jackson both sat the bench as rookies (Mahomes the whole season and Jackson half before Flacco getting injured) before earning the confidence of their respective franchises. I can see both sides, one can say they were given the job, but from afar it seems they earned it. Not running from the fact that they were going to be given a shot at some point regardless though.

-Mahomes credits observing Alex Smith for a year to learning how to become a professional. I imagine this period he earned trust behind the scenes.

-Jackson spearheaded an in season turn around prompting the Ravens to further go all in on his MVP season. 

Evidently the man almost died during the recovery process. He should thank his lucky stars that he is able to enjoy sports activities with his family, maybe a football related career, and lead a normal life. He would be nuts to go anywhere near a NFL football field as a player. So he probably will.

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Odds are Covid kills any talk of an Alex comeback. We miss 20, doubtful, he comes back for 21.

Covid could make him more susceptible.  He went through a lot, was on all kinds of drugs, etc.  He may have some stuff brought about by all he went through that under normal circumstances, wouldn't be a big deal, but that Covid could go to work on. 

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If he plays at a reasonable level, it's gotta go beyond comeback player of the year.

Decade, or more.

Certainly one of the greatest comebacks in history.

What about when Burress shot himself and came back?

On 7/25/2020 at 3:45 PM, Califan007 said:

I can't imagine anyone with the team NOT being ecstatic for Smith whenever he reaches a new milestone, including Haskins and Allen. Smith appears to be universally loved by his teammates, coaches, and (at least here) the team owner.

Be prepared, though, if Smith is cleared by team doctors and is practicing with the team...there will absolutely be those among the fans and the media who will start chiming in with speculation about Haskins being "worried" he won't be starter, and then using that speculation as a foundation and justification for declaring Haskins as immature, selfish, lazy, and wanting the position handed to him. Toss in a few "He was Snyder's choice, not Rivera's" and "Will Dan let Ron pick who should start?" comments out of habit lol...

I can totally envision a scenario where the team actually would prefer he not be cleared to play. 

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Soooo...has any QB competition in training camp ever produced a good QB season?  I can't think of it.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Soooo...has any QB competition in training camp ever produced a good QB season?  I can't think of it.

Probably not when it was actually declared a competition.  Some coaches can have an epiphany and realize that one guy sucks massive ass (like Gruden in '15) but nah, I can't think of any "Open competition " type of situation that wasn't an immediate disaster

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Digesting the implications to the team.  According to Sheehan, if Alex clears the Redskins doctors physical that's a big hurdle.  He believes if he fails then the Redskins can recoup 11 million in cap insurance.

Keim said in his podcast it's going to be different as to clearing to practice versus clearing to play.  He expected the clearing to practice part but he has doubts that he will be cleared to play in games. In other words, being cleared to handle contact is different than practicing without contact.

Yes, I pointed this out a long time go. He has to be medically cleared in order for them to cut him as there is no way Smith would retire or agree to an injury settlement allowing them to waive him.  First step is being medically cleared to play.  After that they can cut him and he gets all the guaranteed money and insurance payments.  Washington then can eat his cap via a couple of options and collect their insurance payments against this scenario.  There's simply no way it would be worth the risk to actually play for either side. 

We all know that Alex's personal medical team, which includes a team doctor, clear him medically a few days ago.  I caught the first 5 minutes of Rivera's press conference this morning on 980.  Unless he cleared things up, it appears that Alex passed his "team" medical physical but failed his "football physical," so he's now on the PUP list.  What exactly does that mean?  Did they ask him to run through some drills and he couldn't cut the mustard or something?  At the very least it looks like any chance of him competing for the job in training camp is over, unless they activate him from PUP during camp.  But if the team is going to do that, why put him on PUP in the first place?

23 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Actually, the best solution is to put a guy #1 on the depth chart on day 1, but tell him and the #2 and #3 guy that its an open competition.  Then tell the #1 guy toward the end of practice that he's screwing something up and sneak the #2 guy in with the first team for 4-5 reps and praise him.  Then do the same thing in the afternoon, but put the #3 guy in instead.  Keeps the #1 guy on his toes, and keeps the #2 guy motivated and pushing the #1 guy, and makes the #3 guy think he can push the #2 guy.

5 hours ago, kfrankie said:

We all know that Alex's personal medical team, which includes a team doctor, clear him medically a few days ago.  I caught the first 5 minutes of Rivera's press conference this morning on 980.  Unless he cleared things up, it appears that Alex passed his "team" medical physical but failed his "football physical," so he's now on the PUP list.  What exactly does that mean?  Did they ask him to run through some drills and he couldn't cut the mustard or something?  At the very least it looks like any chance of him competing for the job in training camp is over, unless they activate him from PUP during camp.  But if the team is going to do that, why put him on PUP in the first place?

Wouldnt be surprised if we never know what caused him to fail the "football physical".   Not that we ever really know, but this seems like a special circumstance where the specific "why" is kinda important.  I'm on record thinking that in their heart of hearts, they don't want him to be cleared to play.  It just complicates things and makes it messy if he's out there.

On 7/28/2020 at 4:19 AM, justice98 said:

I can totally envision a scenario where the team actually would prefer he not be cleared to play. 

I can't.  They cannot get out of his contract until he has been medically cleared.  It's equal to being on Workman's Comp legally.  You cannot get fired while on WC.  You can agree to a settlement but Smith has such a huge contract he'd never do that.  Now that he's been cleared it opens up the possibility for both parties to get out of the contract and collect insurance.  This was the plan the whole time.  

8 hours ago, TheShredder said:

I can't.  They cannot get out of his contract until he has been medically cleared.  It's equal to being on Workman's Comp legally.  You cannot get fired while on WC.  You can agree to a settlement but Smith has such a huge contract he'd never do that.  Now that he's been cleared it opens up the possibility for both parties to get out of the contract and collect insurance.  This was the plan the whole time.  

Interesting that. We did/do have that reported 12mil insurance policy on Smith, but wouldn’t that only become payable if he couldn’t play again? Or could we claim that back against our costs incurred when he was injured....don’t know.

At least we generally have a great salary cap situation to deal with whatever outcome relatively easily in regards to his contract and any future decisions.

On the playing side, I simply don’t see Smith being in our plans. Great story, coaches must have enormous respect for him. Just don’t think he’s a fit now. Get fit, pass the football physical. If his aspirations are to start, he’ll need to be given the chance elsewhere IMO.

Archived