Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With what looks like a complete overhaul how will your fandom change?

bakedtater1

I'm a third generation fan trying to raise the fourth exceedingly tough during this owners administration. I am also an expat of the DMV of 20+ years so I have dealt with our last two decades mystery from afar. The team and dear family memories of games, training camps visits, etc., are my only tie to the DMV. I don't plan on returning and my kids were born here (midsouth).

The Washington Redskins are not just a team, they are deeply ingrained in my life and personal history. I do believe it was time to change the name. However, I will admit that on Monday as I started thinking about huge get togethers and trips with family members,  many now gone, to enjoy the Skins, I wept. I am unashamed to admit it.

I don't know what a full rebrand if it happens, will do with or without Snyder ownership misery.  It may be it for me with the NFL which over the years, I have found more and more distasteful. To me, the Skins are the NFL. I can't pull for another team. The question is can I pull for a rebranded franchise that may feel like an expansion team. I don't know. I fear it will be the nail to end my suffering of the last twenty years.

I need a bridge that spans that past into the future. No change in colors and a logical nonNA mascot like some Hogs type imagery and name. Something that Is a logical tie to franchise history and tradition. Not some rebrand seemingly plucked out of thin air. I am hoping against hope I get it....

Complete rollercoaster of a day. 

I went from horrified about the WP article to hopeful that Snyder might get forced out to completely deflated because with Snyder not being specifically named and liked among the other owners he's probably safe. 

So, as a fan base we are more embarrassed than usual at the beginning of rebuild while still stuck with the person who's ruined this once proud franchise. 

Just change the name to the Washinton Snyders already and be done with it. 

Dan is not going anywhere (until he leaves the planet earth) and it really doesn't matter to me. 

Put a damn good product on the field that a fan can be proud of rooting for no matter what the moniker is! Keep the Burgundy and Gold colors though. 

My life long love of the NFL will die with the Redskins name...I’ve lived and died with the the Redskins, mostly died, but I’ve always loved watching them and singing Hail to the Redskins...I’m heartbroken after all these years that what was a great franchise name, a respectful name, has given in and The organization has decided to change the name....Sean Taylor and maaaany other great REDSKINS are turning in their grave at this...my lifelong love for the Redskins and NFL football died with the Redskins name and logo....😢...I’ll never watch another snap 

DC897C13-BC46-4EB1-9F65-F3B48C81B417.jpeg

25 minutes ago, DGriz said:

My life long love of the NFL will die with the Redskins name...I’ve lived and died with the the Redskins, mostly died, but I’ve always loved watching them and singing Hail to the Redskins...I’m heartbroken after all these years that what was a great franchise name, a respectful name, has given in and The organization has decided to change the name....Sean Taylor and maaaany other great REDSKINS are turning in their grave at this...my lifelong love for the Redskins and NFL football died with the Redskins name and logo....😢...I’ll never watch another snap 

DC897C13-BC46-4EB1-9F65-F3B48C81B417.jpeg

Yes you will. Its not a huge deal. Relax.

42 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yes you will. Its not a huge deal. Relax.

No sir I won’t, I promise you that, my love of the Redskins died with the name. ..I have long said if they change the name I’m done and it’s unfortunately come to that...This whole situation of the PC culture is out of control...I hate it but I’m done 😢

The Post expose is very damaging.  Consider: Snyder enabled a mysoginistic and hostile front office environment and a abysmal product on the field.  Snyder said he would NEVER change the racist and offensive name while claiming "Redskins" honors Native Americans.  The Team's front office condoned sexual abuse at the same time "more than half of Native American women have been sexually assaulted, including over a third who have been raped during their lifetime — a rate of rape nearly 2.5 times higher than for white women, according to a 2016 National Institute of Justice study."

Snyder needs to be banned from the NFL!

1 hour ago, DGriz said:

No sir I won’t, I promise you that, my love of the Redskins died with the name. ..I have long said if they change the name I’m done and it’s unfortunately come to that...This whole situation of the PC culture is out of control...I hate it but I’m done 😢

Couldnt agree more....ok so your the second or third person to say this and I questioned them as well...will you still have an account here and come here?...I don't ask this trying to be silly or a smart ass or anything else but just curious

4 hours ago, zskins said:

Dan is not going anywhere (until he leaves the planet earth) and it really doesn't matter to me. 

Put a damn good product on the field that a fan can be proud of rooting for no matter what the moniker is! Keep the Burgundy and Gold colors though. 

If snyder survives this it will certainly open his eyes. And add in Rivera I think the product on the field is going to change.

Two things.

1) My "love" for the team has eroded due to decades of incompetence and mediocrity. Let's face it, since Gibbs 1 left, we've had only 3-5 seasons that were good/exciting. So, more than any racist name or logo, THAT has been what's dampened my support of the team.

2) The name (which I came to accept as disrespectful about7 or so years ago) also forced me to take a step back from the team. I didn't feel comfortable wearing my gear in public anymore. With a new name and logo, I'm actually MORE inclined to wear a jacket or hat or shirt now.

But, regardless of the logo, winning cures a lot of ills. If the franchise is consistently successful, lots of us will likely support the team enthusiastically again.

5 hours ago, DGriz said:

I envy you. I wish I could leave. At this point I'm probably operating 3% on old memories and 97% on Stockholm syndrome. 

How has the name change affected me? I used to want Snyder out as the owner - I would have joined many of you at leaping to the hope earlier this week that Snyder was done - but now I no longer care;  I no longer go to the draft threads, as what picks and who Washington might target no longer interest me. I do hang around  here with the hope that a name will be picked that can possibly bring life back to the team for me (I'm thinking Warriors or Braves - with a feathered helmet or arrow logo and even then that is just a hope).

Like I posted in another thread it was grief, not anger (surprising me as I thought I would be furious), that resulted from the name being retired. Felt like a family member died and what is left is an empty house where they used to live.  I have no ill will to those that can accept this (but a little, just a little, for those that cheered this) and wish you all the best of luck with your team.

2 hours ago, nonniey said:

How has the name change affected me? I used to want Snyder out as the owner - I would have joined many of you at leaping to the hope earlier this week that Snyder was done - but now I no longer care;  I no longer go to the draft threads, as what picks and who Washington might target no longer interest me. I do hang around  here with the hope that a name will be picked that can possibly bring life back to the team for me (I'm thinking Warriors or Braves - with a feathered helmet or arrow logo and even then that is just a hope).

Like I posted in another thread it was grief, not anger (surprising me as I thought I would be furious), that resulted in the name being retired. Felt like a family member died and what is left is an empty house where they used to live.  I have no ill will to those that can accept this (but a little, just a little, for those that cheered this) and wish you all the best of luck with your team.

So your out as a fan of the new...franchise?

I haven’t gave the team a penny since 2013ish but I always managed to watch them via online streams, etc. I think I’m out honestly. The losing hurts but we all secretly respect diehard fans of struggling teams (Browns, Lions, etc). This isn’t that situation. The organization itself is an embarrassment and I have zero confidence in Snyder to make them respectable again. This isn’t the team of Beathard, Gibbs, Green, Monk and Mann anymore.  I don’t have a large collection of merch but I do have some gems that are decades old, and it’s all going in a box for the time being. (Not pictured- a framed puzzle my sister gave me for Christmas in 1997, a couple of dvds, and am HTTR LP).

image.thumb.jpeg.6b12cd7715d345ac51dbb2668163bc09.jpeg

3 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

So your out as a fan of the new...franchise?

Most likely - I hope something can rekindled if they go with a Native American themed logo - but I don't even know if that would revive my feelings about the Washington team.   To understand just think about any other team in the NFL and see if you could give your heart to them starting right now and be enthusiastic or even angry about their moves and actions. Right now it is just indifference about the NFL or any of it's teams.  Heck I'm now even hoping the season gets cancelled so I can get a refund on my Fantasy Football teams as my interest is now lacking even at that level.

4 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

For me, the name doesn’t change the players I root for.  Nor why I watch football.

That's good I just wish I felt the same way. I don't and it hurts.

20 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Most likely - I hope something can rekindled if they go with a Native American themed logo - but I don't even know if that would revive my feelings about the Washington team.   To understand just think about any other team in the NFL and see if you could give your heart to them starting right now and be enthusiastic or even angry about their moves and actions. Right now it is just indifference about the NFL or any of it's teams.  Heck I'm now even hoping the season gets cancelled so I can get a refund on my Fantasy Football teams as my interest is now lacking even at that level.

That's good I just wish I felt the same way. I don't and it hurts.

With all due respect..you are more than entitled to your own opinion of course..but..why fantasy football?..ok no really I'm with vanguard on this here topic.

24 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

I haven’t gave the team a penny since 2013ish but I always managed to watch them via online streams, etc. I think I’m out honestly. The losing hurts but we all secretly respect diehard fans of struggling teams (Browns, Lions, etc). This isn’t that situation. The organization itself is an embarrassment and I have zero confidence in Snyder to make them respectable again. This isn’t the team of Beathard, Gibbs, Green, Monk and Mann anymore.  I don’t have a large collection of merch but I do have some gems that are decades old, and it’s all going in a box for the time being. (Not pictured- a framed puzzle my sister gave me for Christmas in 1997, a couple of dvds, and am HTTR LP).

I love the pennants

Curious..will you continue to hold an account here if you're out as a fan?

40 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I love the pennants

Curious..will you continue to hold an account here if you're out as a fan?

the pennants are actually pretty special to me. I distinctly remember begging my dad to let me buy the SB XXII one in second grade. They’ve been displayed in my bedroom, my college dorm room, my laundry room in various apartments and most recently my garage until earlier this afternoon.

as for this board- that actually might be one of the harder things to give up. I do love the Tailgate.

8 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

the pennants are actually pretty special to me. I distinctly remember begging my dad to let me buy the SB XXII one in second grade. They’ve been displayed in my bedroom, my college dorm room, my laundry room in various apartments and most recently my garage until earlier this afternoon.

as for this board- that actually might be one of the harder things to give up. I do love the Tailgate.

Heyyyyy someone finally answered me...that's totally understandable considering you most likely have gotten to known some folks on here ya like chatting to.

I holding out hope that they just decide to call us the Skins and put a W or a hog head or player# on the helmet.

If its something else, My brain will probably be able to block it out as long as the uniforms are basically the same

My diehard love for the team is dying with the name change.

I still like to tailgate and have many friends to do that with so my guess is we still will do that for the new team but I will focus mostly on the party instead of the game.

I hate, with a passion, how the team name change came about and will not say anymore since conversations about that nowadays is one sided.  Was it offensive?  Not to me since I honored it but I could see how it might be to others.

My hatred for Dan though is far greater since I feel that he has stolen so much from all of us over the years.  If Dan is forced to sell over the sexual stuff then I might put one eye on the new team just to see what they are but my diehard'ness is gone forever I'm sure.

Will I delete this account?  I doubt it since I won't be able to fulfill my misery quota anywhere else and that's all we seem to have lately.  Everyone wants to be miserable nowadays.

Honestly, my fandom has been on the wane for quite a while.  All this does nothing to change that.  At the end of last year, I had vowed to end my subscription to Sunday Ticket after many, many years.  The hire of Rivera and the draft of Chase Young turned that around and I will watch some again this year but the whole Washington football experience is down to a lukewarm temp.  A good season would go far in stoking the coals but they have to drag themselves from the basement of their own division before that can happen and that always looks like a bridge too far...

I think I might be out.

I like and respect Rivera. There's a few players, like McLaurin and Haskins, that I want to see succeed. I want to see Chase Young come in and be a dominant force.

Then there's the team. It all comes from Snyder. Snyder has ruined my love of football. Through decades of incredible disorganization and structural failure, Snyder has made it so that my favorite team is simply just there. He made me not even care if the name changed at all. He has shown time and time again that he's completely incapable of running a business successfully. He has made the game day experience a completely unsatisfactory task. I feel shame calling myself a Redskins fan because of what Snyder has done with this team.

Now, there's the name change and the culture of sexual harassment that embodies the team. That's the team's identity now. It's going to haunt us and whatever our "new" identity is. Which, is probably just going to be the **** Redskins. Burgundy and gold and some stupid name. Lazily put together because that's the kind of **** that Dan Snyder does.

It's going to be real hard to root for a bunch of sexual harassers who changed their name because they were forced to by their sponsor and are hanging on to the last shred of a culture that they ruined and dragged through the mud and then turned into a sleaze ball organization.

Posted this in Kleese’s thread as well, but I’m pretty much done as long as Snyder remains. I was already on the fence but decided in the middle of this, if he survived then I was done. Probably still be around he some because you guys are still family, just not as much or not as into the Skins status. If Snyder leaves then maybe I’ll be back.  Who knows. 

Archived