Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With what looks like a complete overhaul how will your fandom change?

bakedtater1

I am curious to what everyone is going to do with the name change and everything..I already seen joejacobyhoforriot or something like that(to lazy to look up his name)throw in the towel,respectfully so... I want to get an idea of what folks plan on doing.. for 1 I'll be extremely ecstatic if Daniel Snyder has nothing to do with this new how do I say franchise?... I don't want to say new team because it's not a new team but anyway I will root for the new franchise it will be my favorite football team.. and because I am not a hillbilly redneck racist and I absolutely love the Redskins logo and it is what I have sported for 42 years I will continue to sport Redskins gear, as well as the new gear. Looking forward to a new chapter with the folks on sundays. What are you going to do?

I'm done with this team. Dan Snyder lied. He said he wouldn't change the team name no matter what. Now it's changing. Screw him and this team. He's done nothing but drive this team down the ****ter since he's owned it, now it's going to be a crap team with a new name...I'm out...

4 minutes ago, grampi50 said:

I'm done with this team. Dan Snyder lied. He said he wouldn't change the team name no matter what. Now it's changing. Screw him and this team. He's done nothing but drive this team down the ****ter since he's owned it, now it's going to be a crap team with a new name...I'm out...

Understandable..does that mean you're done coming here?..just curious..

I won't bring politics into this other than to say that I'm not on the side of those pushing this stuff. This is just one more piece of news that has been edging me towards despair and anger, lately. Not a chance I discuss any of that here, and if you don't like my side of it, well, tough.

Apart from that, the name change likely means I'm done. Not because the name itself was so great, nor was the logo. Here's the thing: the name and logo are literally the only things that connect the Dan Snyder Football Franchise to the teams I was raised on and have so many happy memories of cheering along with my parents.

Take away the name and logo and you have: different owner, different players, different coaches, different stadium, hell, different jurisdiction. It might as well be an expansion team. And with my decreasing enjoyment of the NFL generally, the connection to my boyhood memories is a lot of what drove me to keep turning on the TV every Sunday afternoon. Without that connection, well, it ain't that great, I hate to say.

I'll stick around at least until the name officially changes--heck, the Formerskins are still good for some juicy gossip--but after that I'm doubtful.

Like the name Red Wolves with a good logo. I e we oils stick around for that. 

I’m no passive fan, undoubtedly the most influential pop culture component of my life. But just sick of it, and I certainly wouldn’t argue with slur crowd. 

but if they choose warriors or monuments or Americans I’m out. Moreso because NFL just sucks anymore anyway

I can never leave, it is a part of my soul.  Watched the SB vs the Dolphins in 72 as an 10 year old and I was hooked.  The name may change but we will always be the name not to be mentioned.  Hell, Maybe, with any semblance of luck, we will come out of this much stronger & better than before.  We have always alluded to reshaping everything.  Well folks, here we are. Embrace change honestly.  As a manager at many levels over the last 30+ years is is ALWAYS the hardest thing to implement in a corporate environment.  The thing is, is almost always makes every company I've managed be better in the long run.  Painful, but worth it.  regardless of that stuff, lets run with it and have fun.  I am a "half-full" guy anyway, any cannot change my DNA.  Always HTTR, or, whatever comes next.  This is MY team, anything else be damned, especially Daniel Snyder. HTTR 

The jury is still out. I’m in the U.K. now but planning to be spending more time back in the US. We own a house in metro Boston and I’ve been in that area since ‘89 but always maintained my Skins fandom. 

I will want to root for them, but if it’s a huge brand change (especially if they ditch B&G) then I’m likely done. 

Sadly the local team (Pats) is **** and I don’t want any part of them. Plus becoming a Pats fan now would be like jumping on the Skins bandwagon circa 1994. 

I could be looking for a totally new team. 🤷‍♂️ 

HTTR!

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

Should I not? 

I mean:

8. Please use descriptive and accurate topic titles for your thread.
Adherence to this rule assists visitors in utilizing discretion when selecting content to read. It serves to notify members if a particular topic has already been posted and discussed and potentially prevents multiple threads on the exact same topic. Be respectful of the fact that some people come to ExtremeSkins explicitly for latest Redskins news and content, without the editorializing of titles by members.

We are having a preponderance of threads being started, particularly in the Stadium forum, where a title of 2 to 3 non-descriptive words is used. This shows a lack of courtesy to your fellow members. With an ever-increasing number of new threads every day, and an expanding member base, members become more selective about which threads to open and spend their time reading, and which ones to bypass. They cannot do that if the thread titles are 'Guess what?', 'Hey, I just noticed...', or 'WTF!' You are also creating extra work for the Staff who, instead of just merging redundant, repetitive threads based on accurate titles, now has to open each one up and try and figure out where it belongs. So, regardless of the forum, if your thread title is simply "Santana Moss" or any other person's name and nothing else, you may find yourself unable to post. In all our forums, we expect accurate and clear descriptions of your topic in your title.

Nothing against you personally, but yeah, it's kinda like seeing someone behind the wheel who really shouldn't be behind the wheel.

I am likely completely done but want to at least wait see how the new name and logo pan out.  Having a hard time blaming Dan due to the pressure of sponsors and the NFL.  The NFL should have supported the franchise.  Dan not funding is NA foundation last year was pretty pathetic.

I know the Redskins have had a lot of support from NA's going back to the 70's maybe the trend has been away from that more recently.  I feel like a complete shift away from NA imagery in sports will  create greater distance between NA issues and the general public.  

If the new name and logo create a positive energy I may drift back after a while.  If it is something goofy like redtails or rewolves then I fear I am done.

5 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I mean:

Nothing against you personally, but yeah, it's kinda like seeing someone behind the wheel who really shouldn't be behind the wheel.

I understand I appreciate ya looking out..I hope that title is more appropriate 

People need to realize then when it comes to culture-related issues, sometimes things flip on a dime and move fast to align with where modern society is.  I don't want to make anything political so I will keep this strictly as observational and not about being pro or anti anything.   The name change issue is not something new that just sprung up during this new era of "cancel culture" however society as a whole was never before in a place to actually push the issue enough to make the organization take action on it.   Look at something like marriage equality and how even the Dems for the longest time were reluctant to be fully in favor of it, then society itself changed and evolved on the issue and it was legalized swiftly and without much controversy.   That is how these things work.

I am not really sure what I am going to do in all honesty. I was born in Baltimore but grew up in NOVA. My family has had Skins season tickets since 1969. Well up until about 6 years ago when we gave them up.  I always had some attachment to the Colts until their owner decided to sneak them out of town in the middle of the night. I was 14 when that happened. I was a Skins fan already so I immediately became a die hard fan. Right in time for them to win their first Super Bowl. I think I will stick around and see if I can develop some kind of connection with whatever the team ends up being called. But I missed games over the past 2 seasons for the first time in my life. And to be honest I really didnt miss it. Not so much a Skins issue as the NFL has almost become unwatchable. 

To me, I can't just pick the team I root for.. it has always happened organically. I've been a fan of the Washington Redskins since I was 8 years old.  The Washington Redskins don't exist anymore. I'm willing to check out the new team identity and see how they bridge the gap with our previous football heritage, but I have no idea how or if they will catch on with me.  I can say it would be a LOT easier to for me to watch & support them if Snyder were gone. 

Archived