Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With what looks like a complete overhaul how will your fandom change?

bakedtater1

On 7/16/2020 at 7:22 AM, London Kev said:

I love football and it's even better when you have a horse in the race. This particular horse chose me back in 1983 and I ain't ready to give up on it now. I don't like that the name and logo are changing, but I understand why and can accept it, I would hate it if they changed the colours, but would begrudgingly accept it.

I have almost 40 years of memories of my favourite players playing for the Redskins, nothing can change that. Hopefully I will have many more years of my favourite players playing for the (insert new name here). I don't understand the psychology behind why I feel so close to this team or what even constitutes a team, given that the individual parts change every few years, but this is my team.

Redskins for life or (insert new name here) for life, it's the same team and that's all that matters.

Good stuff man, I like this post..I love football...enough said 

The Team has been in need of a reset for awhile now ... it's sad to me at least about the name change mostly because of memories of being a fan and of course a closet full of Redskins branded things.  I've been hoping for the reset, I can roll with the name change.  Personally I think they should do a complete reset and kick-off a new hopefully more successful era with no tie to any of the assorted embarrassments they've been carrying around for too long.

On 7/24/2020 at 10:06 AM, Jurgyrulz said:

Done with it all....Politicization of the game, the kneeling....My team doesn't exist anymore....Players come and go but the name has remained for over 80 years...The iconic  name and logo are gone....No more Cowboys vs Redskins every year....I will be looking for other things to do on Sundays this fall...Best Wishes to all of you...Hail To The Redskins RIP

to the several members  who liked this post and seemingly have similar thoughts, i'm wondering if we should expect your departure from the forum soon? :)

On 7/24/2020 at 6:06 PM, Jurgyrulz said:

Done with it all....Politicization of the game, the kneeling....My team doesn't exist anymore....Players come and go but the name has remained for over 80 years...The iconic  name and logo are gone....No more Cowboys vs Redskins every year....I will be looking for other things to do on Sundays this fall...Best Wishes to all of you...Hail To The Redskins RIP

So you joined a forum just to tell people (that don't even know you yet), that you're leaving for good.

I've got to ask... Why?

34 minutes ago, London Kev said:

So you joined a forum just to tell people (that don't even know you yet), that you're leaving for good.

I've got to ask... Why?

becuase the internet gives a real and much larger megaphone to those who would have been denied one in most villages in most places across history

This has been an incredible exercise in how sports affect certain elements of the brain. 

Complete and utter trashing of a once legendary franchise (in every way imaginable) for over a generation (reducing its reputation and fan support to nearly zero),  is not enough, but a cosmetic change (and some other stuff over there somewhere) is the straw that breaks the camels back.

That is fascinating 

Well, what do ya know.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-football/washington-football-team-executive-could-see-scenario-where-name-permanently

Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Terry Bateman, however, wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of this one-year run becoming something far bigger.

"If everybody in the market loves the name and adopts it and, ultimately, that's what the majority of the people want to have, I could see a scenario," Bateman told JP Finlay on the Washington Football Talk podcast.

I have been mentally prepared for this for a long time.

For me, at some point in the last couple of years I had an epiphany regarding the name.  I vehemently defended the name on this board for a long time, and was proud to do so...but eventually it just became clear to me the argument was going to continue in perpetuity until the change was made.  The people who are morally convinced that the name is bad were never going to change their minds or let it go. Right or wrong, it eventually wore me down and I was just done.  I just want to watch winning football.  

The rebrand is bittersweet for me but I’m not leaving the team.  I’m a hometown boy and the DMV has been my home all my life.  I’ve been a fan as long as I can remember.  I’m actually excited that our team (and the fans) may finally be on a track where wins and losses are the only things we need to concern ourselves with here.  I actually feel good that the name will no longer be something that has to be argued over...as long as they get it right with something most people can get behind.  I want the colors to stay to some extent, because that is the common thread that will bind the old with the new.  I very much like the darker burgundy and hope that is the shade used moving forward.  I am choosing to look at the bright side, and largely excited for what the future holds for us. 

Just got back from New Mexico visiting family, and first day my sister's BF gave me a redskins face mask with logo on the front.

Given the number of reservations around Albuquerque, I couldn't feel right wearing it. Kept it, but told him that, he wasn't up to date on what was happening to our franchise, jus trying to be nice.

I'm still trying to understand the difference between a reservation and Pueblo, we drove through Isleta to get to Mountainair.  

If anyone in here can with a straight face say they aren't thinking twice about wearing their gear, more power to you, we just different folks I guess.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:07 PM, Jumbo said:

to the several members  who liked this post and seemingly have similar thoughts, i'm wondering if we should expect your departure from the forum soon? :)

I feel for the mods during this turmoil.  Some of us are in our 60's and bleed Redskins and this is the most difficult time being a fan that we have ever gone through where our identity that we lived our entire lives by is being taken from us.  And not just taken but ripped from our soul.

3 hours ago, Ashburn Dave said:

I feel for the mods during this turmoil.  Some of us are in our 60's and bleed Redskins and this is the most difficult time being a fan that we have ever gone through where our identity that we lived our entire lives by is being taken from us.  And not just taken but ripped from our soul.

appreciated, but point of correction: mods don't have souls and being of that age group i'm more prone to dropping things lately then having them ripped from me...and our es salary and retirement package won't change even with all the rebranding

and i'm still waiting for my statue...

On 7/28/2020 at 10:03 PM, Spearfeather said:

With no fan input. 

This is them saying if we get used to it and don't demand an actual name they wont "waste" money to make one.  A fan base that has already been beat into near total submission and apathy leading into a global pandemic isn't going to care.

I wont get used to it, I already am.

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

With no fan input. 

This is them saying if we get used to it and don't demand an actual name they wont "waste" money to make one.  A fan base that has already been beat into near total submission and apathy leading into a global pandemic isn't going to care.

I wont get used to it, I already am.

What makes you think that there hasn't been been any fan input ?

17 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

What makes you think that there hasn't been been any fan input ?

How many people actual said they didnt want a name at all? 

Did the franchise actually include us in this discussion or just say they would when the time was right?

Saying they will keep it if we like it might  as well be they won't do nothing else unless we riot over it.  We haven't rioted over anything up to this point, we're exhausted, until I see a place run by the franchise where I can submit my vote for a name, how can they get my input?  Reading Twiter? Where's the twitter campaign for no name at all?

The closest I've seen is after the decision was made to make it sound classy and well thought out.  Iv'e said my piece on this already in the thread that got closed. I'm tired of venting, Snyder don't care, and if he does, he needs to convince me of that, franchise hasn't yet.

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

If anyone in here can with a straight face say they aren't thinking twice about wearing their gear, more power to you, we just different folks I guess.

I have been slowly over the past few years not wearing gear that had the logo or Redskins, because I got tired of comments or being questioned about it. I still wear the Script R hats that I have, here, most don't associate that with the Redskins, and I do once in a while get asked what the R stands for...though I always figured the colors would give it away. Once more hats come out that I prefer at the pro shop (I ordered some shirts, but I have to wait until Sept 22), the Script R hats will probably go away for me as well.

6 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I have been slowly over the past few years not wearing gear that had the logo or Redskins, because I got tired of comments or being questioned about it. I still wear the Script R hats that I have, here, most don't associate that with the Redskins, and I do once in a while get asked what the R stands for...though I always figured the colors would give it away. Once more hats come out that I prefer at the pro shop (I ordered some shirts, but I have to wait until Sept 22), the Script R hats will probably go away for me as well.

Just went to order some shirts, and damn, I thought we'd at least have things be a little bit less expensive.  Cheapest shirt was $30!  For a temporary name!

I get that we pay a premium for NFL gear, but man, looks like I just won't be wearing any for a while until it shows up in regular stores.

1 minute ago, Yohan said:

Ya, I still have Script R black t-shirt to go with my jerseys and anything signed.  Everything else is in the same plastic bag until I decide what to do next. 

It has not sunk in for me yet that that choice may be made for me and there's nothing I can do about it.  I feel like I'm being left for dead as a fan while they figure out how to get away with this and not cost them too much money.

All I'm asking as a fan is to get this figured out before my kid is old enough to start asking the same questions.  I'm open to forgiving and moving on for my own sanity, but my dad knew what he was passing down to me and his dad knew what he was passing down to him. What are my kids and the next generation of fans going to have to put up with? 

4 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Just went to order some shirts, and damn, I thought we'd at least have things be a little bit less expensive.  Cheapest shirt was $30!  For a temporary name!

I get that we pay a premium for NFL gear, but man, looks like I just won't be wearing any for a while until it shows up in regular stores.

They should be offering to replace our gear, not force us to buy new stuff to prove a damn thing.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

They should be offering to replace our gear, not force us to buy new stuff to prove a damn thing.

I mean I get making a dollar, but there should be a sizeable discount given that the name is just going to change again.  If it were the official, permanent name, then yeah you can charge 100% of the normal price.  For a year?  Give it to me for half and you'll get quite a few fans to come back.  From a business perspective, 100 sales at 100% is dwarfed by 300 sales at 50%.

I have been a fan my whole life.  Changing the name doesn't erase anything.  Baltimore still celebrates the Colts and they actually left town.  The Tennessee Titans still acknowledge their Houston Oiler heritage.  No one ignores the fact that Earl Campbell is a legend for that franchise.  So this is no different.  Regardless of if you agree with changing the name or not, get over it, it's changing.  So let's hope and pray that we can influence the team to have a cool new design.  RedWolves, Red Wolves, or whatever it may be.  Would love to keep the colors.  But I love this team, because I love this area.  This is my team.  I have been to RFK in the glory days, I have been to playoff games.  I even was at the only home Playoff of the Snyder era against the Lions in 1999.  Saw Tre Johnson get thrown out for hitting a referee.  They change the name, and logo, doesn't mean I love John Riggins, Art Monk, Darrell Green, Dexter Manley, Sonny Jergensen, Billy Kilmer, Chris Hanburger, Sean Taylor any less.  But it also doesn't mean I am going to love Haskins, or Guice, Love, Young, Allen, Payne, Collins, McLaurin etc any less if they go out and make me some more memories.  They will just continue in my heart just like all the others.   

6 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I mean I get making a dollar, but there should be a sizeable discount given that the name is just going to change again.  If it were the official, permanent name, then yeah you can charge 100% of the normal price.  For a year?  Give it to me for half and you'll get quite a few fans to come back.  From a business perspective, 100 sales at 100% is dwarfed by 300 sales at 50%.

Fair, but again, you are pointing to what I'm seeing that this is again about money for this franchise, not sentiment.

Another thing I'm noticing is me trying to specify franchise vs team more.  The players did not sign up for this, its not fair to them anymore more then is is fair to us as fans.  I always want the team to do well, the franchise getting in the way.

Do I need to be more specific as a fan now that I'm not supposed to be saying Redskins as a catch all anymore?  Still feeling this out, I don't want the whole thing on fire, it still is though.

54 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

How many people actual said they didnt want a name at all? 

I don't know how many, but I know there were some.

55 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Did the franchise actually include us in this discussion or just say they would when the time was right?

To date, we have been pleased to see so many people putting forward their vision of what the new name and design should be on their social media channels and we look forward to including their feedback as this process progresses.

The process isn't over yet, but they've been listening.

Archived