Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After Name Change, Do Team Records And Heritage Convey?

studzmckenzie

Still another burning question — I know the three Lombardi trophies are securely locked up in Ashburn, but if and when the team nickname change is a done deal, will the team’s records, statistics, and heritage carry over to the new era, or will we be like the Tennessee Titans, starting from scratch and having no references to the Houston Oilers?

Umm the Titans are the Oilers.  Its the same franchise. The Nats even moved and are carrying the records from the Montreal Expos.  If they are the same franchise, everything carries over.  The browns moved to baltimore and then they gave the browns history back only when the new browns came back 

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

Umm the Titans are the Oilers.  Its the same franchise. The Nats even moved and are carrying the records from the Montreal Expos.  If they are the same franchise, everything carries over.  The browns moved to baltimore and then they gave the browns history back only when the new browns came back 

I always thought that was strange how that worked, and what determines a "new team".

Your examples are ones I always thought of, as 2 of the best examples of inconsistencies in how they define a team.

Houston Oilers move to new city and with a new name....and it's considered the same team.

Cleveland Browns move to a new city...considered a different team.

19 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Houston Oilers move to new city and with a new name....and it's considered the same team.

Cleveland Browns move to a new city...considered a different team.

Art Modell was going to keep the Browns' name, colors and record in Baltimore, but the league intervened and struck a deal with Cleveland to avoid a lawsuit, as I recall.

That was the first and only time a relocation left anything behind, as far as I know.

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The reality is, for all intents and purposes, our Lombardis, and all our rich history is gone.

The media will never cover those accomplishments again, won't use it in a documentary, or mention it, or anything like that.

There may be data on us, but our history will be erased from the future.

Yep, I could see my grandson asking me if the Redwolves have ever won a SB. In a few years, people may start calling as empty trophy room like we used to be able to do to the Eagles.

47 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

But if your name is bakedtater and you change your name to @bakedtater1 you lose your entire post count, and therefore your whole history.

Riiiiiight!!..lol..imma dip**** what can I say...I sound like a broken record but I'm very fortunate to be able to have an account here.

Our history is ours. That's it. We started in Boston with a different name, but that's still part of the team history.

Arizona has moved, their history followed. Raiders move every 20 years, their history follows.

Washington Bullets > Wizards

Tampa Bay Devil Rays > Rays

Cleveland Browns > Baltimore Ravens history started in 1996.

1946 Cleveland Browns > 1995 Cleveland Browns, 1999 Cleveland Browns > Present

This isn't an expansion team or witness protection, it's rebranding.

I predict the following: The name changes, the teams starts to win ball games, the narrative changes, fans get galvanized to pack the stadium and the team wins Super Bowls. Lots of them. Future babies are raised up howling in the name of the Red Wolves as they step into Wolve's Den stadium for the first time of many. Our stories of the glory years become like the stories our fathers used to tell us about walking barefoot in the snow to school. Yea right....

Of course if a catastrophic global event occurs, my prediction is mute.

This is a rebranding, everything will stay.  This isn't comparable to a relocation like the Ravens or Titans.  The most similar comparison is World Wrestling Entertainment rebranding after the World Wildlife Fund sued them and they ran the "Get The F Out" campaign when they changed the name.  Same company, same history, same everything, except a new name.  I also wouldn't expect "Redskins" to be censored or removed from any past game footage or anything either, just a change moving forward.  

1 hour ago, ThomasTomasz said:

This is a rebranding, everything will stay.  This isn't comparable to a relocation like the Ravens or Titans.  The most similar comparison is World Wrestling Entertainment rebranding after the World Wildlife Fund sued them and they ran the "Get The F Out" campaign when they changed the name.  Same company, same history, same everything, except a new name.  I also wouldn't expect "Redskins" to be censored or removed from any past game footage or anything either, just a change moving forward.  

I hope you are right, but I don't think you are at all.  It's not similar because no one had a moral quandary with the WWF name, it was a simple legal dispute.    The footage won't just be censored, it won't ever be shown.  The gear littered with slurs, won't be allowed to be worn in the stadium.  If I'm wrong I'll own it, but I don't believe I will be.  I'd be willing to bet on it.

this is a never ending argument partially because both sides are right.

they cant take away memories, those will always be there, we'll always have the 3 superbowl victories and all the players we used to idolize. 

unfortunately what they can take away is the how our history ties into our present and future.

when speaking of the redwolves the announcers wont say we have a long and storied history, they won't refer to our rich traditions.

the fact is that there will be a huge adjustment to how our football team is viewed in the present and maybe that'll be a good thing, I dont know, but it will be very different and i dont see how you can argue otherwise. 

It's no different than a woman who gets married and changes her last name to her husband's.  Other than her last name, she is the exact same person whose experiences, accomplishments, and history are exactly the same.  In fact, her maiden name remains a part of her official identity

Until all of us Redskins fans die off, they will always be the Washington Redskins.   That's all we've ever known.  For almost 50 years as a fan, the name has been associated with pride, strength, competing, and winning.  The official identity of all the great players that have played in Washington in its 88-year history were as Redskins.  That's its history.  This franchise's accomplishments, which includes three Super Bowls, will remain a part of its history until it ceases to exist.

Archived