Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After Name Change, Do Team Records And Heritage Convey?

studzmckenzie

4 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

This is what I believe as well.

The team hasn't won in a very long time and many memories are tied to the Washington Redskins. 

"Touchdown Washington Redskins!"

"Hail to the Redskins, Hail Victory..." 

I am not sure what I am going to do. Today is a funeral for me, and as logical as I like to be, I am totally irrational on this topic. I can't see myself being nearly as passionate about the "Red Wolves" or "Red Tails" I most likely won't refer to the team by that name for a long time (Redskins will slip in, or I'll default to Washington) and I am not going to be buying the new gear. I certainly won't care to watch games with my children. 

Will my old fandom return? Remains to be seen

Totally agree my friend....on of the earliest pictures of me is in a redskins onsie, I’m 38 this has been a life long fandom for me and my father before me. I agree this is a funeral, the Redskins are dead and with that probably killed my fandom. 

I can’t see myself getting jazzed about a new team, I hope I’m wrong but I just can’t see it....more than likely I’ll keep watching football in general cause I like to bet DraftKings and play fantasy and I love the Super Bowl but I don’t know if I’ll ever root for a team again, and I certainly won’t devote my entire Sunday to it anymore like I have for the last 20 years. 

I really understand how some people would be concerned about whether the legacy passes after renaming.

It simply does pass after renaming.  Same team, same ownership, same players, same darn city, and same fans.

Don't worry about that.  The worry is that fans will leave after renaming.  Some will.  It's OK.  More will come.

Best example (sorry if already posted) is the Washington NBA team after the name Bullets became too controversial. They became the Wizards but Wes Unseld and Elvin Hayes, are still in their history. Rarely have teams just changed names without relocating. Leave it to DC to have 2.

3 hours ago, Smurf3 said:

Best example (sorry if already posted) is the Washington NBA team after the name Bullets became too controversial. They became the Wizards but Wes Unseld and Elvin Hayes, are still in their history. Rarely have teams just changed names without relocating. Leave it to DC to have 2.

That is a bad example as Unseld himself stated it was the Washington Bullets that won a championship not the Washington Wizards.  

....i can’t believe this is a real thread. Do you think Roger goodell is going to come to your house and do the Men In Black memory eraser thing to you and your family?? Do you think they are having the SB trophies boiled down and sold for scraps? 

It’s the same team. Same history. What isn’t clicking? Do the Wizards not have banners for Wes Unseld at Cap One? 

Is everyone ok? Some of these delusional posts are scaring me. 

7 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Given some recent rumors:

I love that. Seriously? Nothing is more anti human than wolves, except maybe pumas which they think are extinct or coyotes i guess and coyotes are really tough. I am a dog rescue. I love wolves.

On 7/17/2020 at 3:33 AM, Koolblue13 said:

I love that. Seriously? Nothing is more anti human than wolves, except maybe pumas which they think are extinct or coyotes i guess and coyotes are really tough. I am a dog rescue. I love wolves.

Saw a better one but I could not find it.

On 7/17/2020 at 3:33 AM, Koolblue13 said:

"They're incredibly craft animals, any one who has tried to hunt them knows this, they have the advantage"

Gimme Red Wolves!

Archived