Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

Problem there, when the owner is fanboy. Everything Dan  has done, us to try to appeal to the old fans.

He should've made a clean break and just live with the backlash from old f ans.

Yep, he still should. I don't like him, so I'm rather enjoying watching him flounder. But the smart approach, as you said, would have been to piss off the old-timers and make a clean break with the young fans. Do everything fresh and new. Having a foot on both sides just makes a bunch of people angry and most of the rest of them lukewarm at best. Then, there's a very small group who defend the team out some blind compulsion to be loyal. 

I really believe if Snyder had gotten out in front of the name change and rebrand years ago, he'd be in a better spot. People like me still would have hated it, but I think he'd have more people on board with it (especially if it was done well with a cool name, great marketing, good logos, etc.). 

• Like 3

On the Jason Vs. Reporter thing.....

Were I a player, any player, and I heard one particular guy asking rude or otherwise unwelcome questions to my teammates I would be asking Jason privately why they are allowed to talk to us however they want to. Yall pay me millions to put my body on the line and not only cant you keep this one asshole away from us, but you specifically give him access to us? And if I tell him to **** off in the interview I'm the bad guy? That's an impossible situation for a player. 

Imagine if Wentz went to Jason and said "Hey what's the deal with this? I can handle it, but they didn't do this in Philly or in Indy....", what do you do then? Just say sorry tough tiddy home boy this is Washington? 

Naw. As a player I would appreciate Jason and his actions. I would want him to try it privately first. But if that didn't work, let the team and the media know at once that its not welcome. "Its my house. These are my guys. You are not welcome if you make them uncomfortable" is a totally appreciated message for me. 

That said......they **** **** like this up all the time. So would I be surprised if this could have been handled a better way? Absolutely not  

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 2

29 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What Wright and the team should be trying to do is win back the tens of thousands of fans that have been lost year over year since 2000. I have no idea how, but that's the task at hand. Rather than snap off at media or figure out a way to cook the numbers to claim sponsorship or interest is good, continue to be humble, modest, and apologetic for the **** show that the owner has created, hope like Hell the team eventually improves, and try to be classy on the business side. Eventually, it just might take care of itself when enough time passes. 

There are only two ways to go about that, neither of which he can control.  

1. Snyder being removed from ownership - I strongly believe this would bring a lot of folks back, crawling out from under rocks, to support this team - no matter the record or state of the roster.  

2. A sustained period of winning, enough that it masks the stench of Dan.  A win streak, a playoff run, a season or two isn’t going to cut it.  They would legit have to become a top tier team and even then I don’t think it would pay dividends like #1 would.

It’s Wrights job to sell the positive changes and strides they’ve made.  I get that folks are never going to like Snyder’s right hand man, as just being in that position alone is enough not to like. But he’s absolutely nothing like his predecessor.  Bruce was smug and arrogant, living in La La land about the state of the organization and the only times he even remotely attempted to be transparent is when he was smearing a player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ultimately here's the thing: we shouldn't know who Jason Wright is when it comes to the football side of things. We should know the players, coaches, and the GMs. That's it. Granted he's doing interviews to spew business buzz words and spin the disastrous business side of things in a more positive light, I get that. However, he shouldn't be talking about the football side of things. He's not the face of the franchise, but he sure as hell tries. 

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What Wright and the team should be trying to do is win back the tens of thousands of fans that have been lost year over year since 2000. I have no idea how, but that's the task at hand.

From an in-person attendance point of view, it seems that they haven't had issues filling up the lower deck. The club level has been overpriced and the team stopping the dumping of tickets on Stubhub a few years ago meant there being no game-to-game bargains there and thus in recent years the club has appeared to be a ghost town. I think the significant slashing of club season ticket prices will help. On TV that level looked far from packed, but actually looked comparable to most of the regular season games last year. That isn't bad.

The challenge is going to be the upper deck tickets, at least until they move into a new stadium. Sheehan mentioned this a few months ago.....for the price point and the viewing experience, it really does seem like it isn't worth it to sit all the way up there. The upper level at the new stadium needs to be significantly lower in capacity, even by perhaps more than they reduced it to by taking out all of the seats.

1 hour ago, Busch1724 said:

Ultimately here's the thing: we shouldn't know who Jason Wright is when it comes to the football side of things. We should know the players, coaches, and the GMs. That's it. Granted he's doing interviews to spew business buzz words and spin the disastrous business side of things in a more positive light, I get that. However, he shouldn't be talking about the football side of things. He's not the face of the franchise, but he sure as hell tries. 

Yeah, as you said, we know who he is because of the mess Snyder created. That isn't his fault. We also know more about most of their hires because of the limited candidate pool the owner has had. Whatever title Doug Williams has...do we truly believe most fans of most teams know that guy? No, but Snyder usually hires former players or relatives or beloved coaches so that the fans become or stay excited. 

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

From an in-person attendance point of view, it seems that they haven't had issues filling up the lower deck. The club level has been overpriced and the team stopping the dumping of tickets on Stubhub a few years ago meant there being no game-to-game bargains there and thus in recent years the club has appeared to be a ghost town. I think the significant slashing of club season ticket prices will help. On TV that level looked far from packed, but actually looked comparable to most of the regular season games last year. That isn't bad.

The challenge is going to be the upper deck tickets, at least until they move into a new stadium. Sheehan mentioned this a few months ago.....for the price point and the viewing experience, it really does seem like it isn't worth it to sit all the way up there. The upper level at the new stadium needs to be significantly lower in capacity, even by perhaps more than they reduced it to by taking out all of the seats.

So, they've maintained a 30,000-40,000 attendance (I'm guessing the capacity of the lower bowl), with a solid 30% of those being away fans? I guess that's something. That's probably something they'll always be able to maintain just by the fact that they are a NFL franchise and 4-5 times per year some big-time players will come to visit. The Bullets used to market that way: "Come see Patrick Ewing and the Knicks take on your Washington Bullets at the Cap Centre this Friday night...brought to you by Bradlee's superstore, Erol's video, and RC Cola!"

• Like 1

The reason sales were up this year is the club seats were reduced in price and free parking was given to some who bought them.

This year we will be lowest team in attendance unless we compete and even then no guarantee people show. There no way to fix this with current ownership. We need a real fresh start. The old time fans will not come back as long as Snyder is here.

The way to get people to come back is new stadium and new owner. A band-aid and some new paint on fed-ex will not bring people back. They need a total restart new owner and new stadium. Unless this happens FedEx stadium will continue to be a neutral field and in some cases home game for the away team.

Edited by Redskins 2021

15 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

The reason sales were up this year is the club seats were reduced in price and free parking was given to some who bought them.

This year we will be lowest team in attendance unless we compete and even then no guarantee people show. There no way to fix this with current ownership. We need a real fresh start. The old time fans will not come back as long as Snyder is here.

The way to get people to come back is new stadium and new owner. A band-aid and some new paint on fed-ex will not bring people back. They need a total restart new owner and new stadium. Unless this happens FedEx stadium will continue to be a neutral field and in some cases home game for the away team.

I'd add one aspect that isn't directly Snyder's fault...many old fans won't come back because of the name change and all that surrounds that. I say it isn't directly Snyder's fault because he didn't choose to change it. I have my suspicions that under different ownership there would have been more leeway in 2020 for "Redskins" to stay (or better preparation to change the name to something more derivative like "Warriors" to retain some of the traditional fanbase), but that's not something I can prove and I might be putting too much on Snyder. 

On 8/13/2022 at 11:23 AM, Mrshadow008 said:

I hope you don’t actually believe the nats caps town comment. Caps in Stanley cup 2.7 avg rating. Nats in World Series 8.1 avg rating. WFT in 2021 16 avg rating. Even now it’s not that close 

I've never seen a car with Commanders logo/plate/bumper sticker.  I see Redskins logos occasionally.  Caps and Nats all the time.

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

name change and all that surrounds that. I say it isn't directly Snyder's fault because he didn't choose to change it. I have my suspicions that under different ownership there would have been more leeway in 2020 for "Redskins" to stay (or better preparation to change the name to something more derivative like "Warriors" to retain some of the traditional fanbase), but that's not something I can prove and I might be putting too much on Snyder. 

I think a competent owner would have been able to protect the name.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Meh a competent owner would have changed the name long ago and without corporate pressures. 😬

Eh, maybe.  The name is a brand, and their was tremendous brand loyalty.  Changing the name was always going to be a challenge from a financial perspective. 

I think any ownership group would try to keep it as long as possible.  

Btw, Commanders is better than Wizards.  

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'd add one aspect that isn't directly Snyder's fault...many old fans won't come back because of the name change and all that surrounds that. I say it isn't directly Snyder's fault because he didn't choose to change it. I have my suspicions that under different ownership there would have been more leeway in 2020 for "Redskins" to stay (or better preparation to change the name to something more derivative like "Warriors" to retain some of the traditional fanbase), but that's not something I can prove and I might be putting too much on Snyder. 

I think the nfl would’ve demanded a name change to approve any new owner.

9 minutes ago, The Rook said:

"Commanders" is also better than "Lobsters", but it doesn't make it a good name. ;):806:

Hey now, I wont have any of that slander.

You eat that name just to bask in the pure dope-ness of a Mr. Pinchy mascot. He'd just walk around the stadium hassling people

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

The old time fans will not come back as long as Snyder is here.

This is my opinion but quietly I don't think the current FO cares.  They know the fans who sit around ****ing all day will never come back to this team because of Dan so its time to move on and find new fans.

Being disgruntled is a hobby for many, the team need to focus on building a new fanbase and stop worrying about the people who will never come back to this team.

8 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

This is my opinion but quietly I don't think the current FO cares.  They know the fans who sit around ****ing all day will never come back to this team because of Dan so its time to move on and find new fans.

Being disgruntled is a hobby for many, the team need to focus on building a new fanbase and stop worrying about the people who will never come back to this team.

If they thought it was time to “move on and find new fans” they wouldn’t be doing dumb branding **** like retrofitting the old fight song. That shows that their mentality is 100% to have it both ways and try to win back the old fans. Actually, they may not even be trying to have it “both ways”, as I don’t see any evidence they’re trying to appeal to anyone BUT the old fans they’ve lost. So they’re just trying to have it the old, original way. There is no concerted effort at all to gain new fans, every single thing they do is to pay homage to an old history they had nothing to do with and ****ize it for their modern purposes with the new brand. Have not seen a single move they’ve made that is even subtly geared towards collecting a new, young fanbase. It’s what they should be doing, but not what they’re actually doing. And when the mascot is some dumb **** like a Hog in a generic military uniform or something, it’ll just be a continuation—young fans don’t know why a Hog would even be relevant, they don’t give a **** about that stuff. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

47 minutes ago, The Rook said:

"Commanders" is also better than "Lobsters", but it doesn't make it a good name. ;):806:

:229:The Rook

No way man!

The Landover Lobsters would be a far more popular name than the Washington Commanders with a douchebag as the head "Commander" who we are all supposed to hail and fight for lol. 

They could even have an alternate helmet with this as the picture to reminisce of the "good old days" of Snyders ownership:

file.php?40,file=42586,filename=Mike-Sha

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t quite get this theory that they are solely pressing for new fans.  They kept the colors, and now they’ve slaughtered the old fight song.  What exactly is leading folks to believe that they’ve accepted the old fans are gone and they are putting on a full court press for new ones to replace them?

Right. Everything they’re doing it to try to appeal to the nostalgia the old fans have (which is pleasing almost nobody of course) 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Conn said:

If they thought it was time to “move on and find new fans” they wouldn’t be doing dumb branding **** like retrofitting the old fight song.

Some of us are still here, a sizeable chuck of that base is gone and the team has done a poor job of developing new fans over the years but it makes sense to keep some of the history in place to keep the fans who stayed somewhat happy. My opinion was about the disgruntled ex-fans who can't say anything about the team without mentioning Dan Snyder, trying to appease to those fans is a hopeless task it sounds harsh but I think its true.

15 minutes ago, Conn said:

Actually, they may not even be trying to have it “both ways”, as I don’t see any evidence they’re trying to appeal to anyone BUT the old fans they’ve lost.

I would check out their social media, its clear to me they have a younger more "cool" approach to how they post, its a small step but they definitely put together a good media team that posts with more edge and levity and if that's the personality the take on as they interact with fans its something I can see drawing in new blood.  I can't argue they haven't made a big push for new fans yet but they just rebranded this offseason and with that out of the way they'll definitely be focusing more on fan experience and getting new blood in the stadium.  The team is like a foreclosed property, its been gutted and we're starting to work on the foundation but there's a lot more work to be done before it can listed.